Create New...
    Drew Dowdell

GMC Upsizes the Acadia for 2024; New 2.5L Turbo-4

Longer, wider and taller; Acadia brings increased passenger spaciousness, with extended third-row cargo space and increased front-row leg room

GMC caused a stir in 2016 when it downsized the Acadia in 2017 from its previous near-Yukon length. That downsize brought the Acadia down to be inline in size with the contemporary Jeep Grand Cherokee.  In the years since, the Grand Cherokee has grown and GMC is matching that with the 2024 GMC Acadia.

Inches matter in this class and in that the Acadia gains (back) 10.6 inches in length and 3.2 inches in height. That equates to 80% more space behind the third row and 36% more space behind the second row.

The biggest news is with the powertrain. The naturally aspirated V6 is gone from the lineup and now all Acadias are powered by a 2.5-liter turbocharged 4. This engine is new to GM's lineup and in the Acadia produces 328 horsepower and 326 lb-ft of torque.  All models get an 8-speed automatic with all-wheel drive available. The Acadia AT4 gets and exclusive off-road-capable Active Torque Control AWD system.

The interior is focused around a portrait-oriented 15-inch-diagonal premium GMC infotainment. The system has Google Assistant built in and can display up to 9 camera positions around the vehicle.

The long safety features list includes:

• Forward Collision Alert
    • Following Distance Indicator
    • Front Pedestrian and Bicycle Braking
    • IntelliBeam High Beam Assist
    • HD Rear Vision Camera
    • Rear Park Assist
    • Safety Alert Seat
    • Rear Cross Traffic Braking
    • Blind Zone Steering Assist
    • Buckle to Drive
    • Rear Seat Reminder7
    • Intersection Automatic Emergency Braking
    • and more.

AT4 exclusive features include:

• A 1-inch taller ride height and a wider track, coupled with 18-inch AT tires enhancing stability, handling and capability when driving off road
    • Off-road-tuned suspension with hydraulic rebound control
    • AT4-exclusive Active Torque Control all-wheel-drive system with twin-clutch rear differentials for optimal traction and control in demanding scenarios
    • Front fascia accented with signature AT4 red tow hooks and integrated skid plates
    • Selectable drive modes including Terrain mode and Hill Descent Control
    • Exclusive AT4 interior elements featuring Forest Storm interior with Mahogany stitching and additional chrome-metallic trim

Acadia Denali returns to redefine the premium mid-size SUV, with new, stylish enhancements, elevated design cues and a bolder roster of luxurious features including:

• Standard one-touch folding second-row seats and power-folding third row
    • Distinctive exterior trim and design features, including unique trim accents, a signature Denali grille and available, all-new, 22-inch machined aluminum wheels — the largest ever on Acadia
    • Elevated interior featuring an available panoramic, pillar-to-pillar sunroof, authentic laser-etched wood décor with Galvano chrome accents, and perforated leather-appointed heated and ventilated front seats and available second-row outboard heated seats
    • Active noise cancelling technology and a Bose premium sound system with 12 standard speakers— and up to 16 available on Denali

The 2024 GMC Acadia will be produced at GM’s Lansing Delta Township Assembly in Michigan and should go on sale early next year.

So back to the old days of Traverse, Acadia and Enclave being the same size.  Kind of creates a size gap between the Terrain and Acadia although at the same time I don't know if you really need a Blazer size SUV, or a Venza, or Passport.  People either get that small SUV or go for a 3 row vehicle.

Finally making amends for their big mistake.

yet, ^^^the gap you mention could be filled by rebadging the current Acadia. The smaller size did work better for some and that is a worthwhile market segment on its own. Just not the same sales volume.

even Toyota has the Highlander and the Grand Highlander now.

Edited by regfootball

20 hours ago, regfootball said:

Finally making amends for their big mistake.

even Toyota has the Highlander and the Grand Highlander now.

I need to look it up, but I think the Traverse and Acadia are back to being the same size again. It looks like the Traverse shrank.  This leads me to wonder what will happen to Enclave and XT6.  Enclave always had the larger body while XT6 is on a very slightly lengthened Acadia wheelbase, but longer overall length.

• Educational 1

If this

is accurate to what the new Enclave will be, it can just get in my belly right now

perfect step up for me from the TourX but I might as well dream because can’t likely afford anything anymore

6 hours ago, regfootball said:

If this

The hood proportions and height are probably wrong on that. The new platform is taller and has a stubby nose because it's built for a 4-cylinder.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

i completely forgot you have a TourX. I want one of those really bad right now. They seem like such a great overall package.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, regfootball said:

If this

Wish they would build it like that, but I doubt it, not SUV enough.

Sadly that as an EV would ROCK!

GMC Acadia AT4 Rocks

2024-acadia-reveal-gallery-ext-2.webp2024-acadia-reveal-gallery-ext-4.webp2024-acadia-reveal-gallery-ext-5.webp

What I like:

• Stance of this SUV, looks rugged, looks like a perfect tool to get around the PNW.
    • Dark grill, tired of all the chrome on the Denali, which is Chrome Overload.
    • Style is right on
    • Green house is well proportioned
    • ground clearance is excellent
    • Front hood proportions is good even if this was an EV, it would have a great FRUNK
    • Proper placement of the center top hood antenna
    • Quad exhaust looks great
    • Rim to tire proportions look good

What I dislike:

• I know it is for crash safety, but belt line is a bit high for me
    • D pillar looks like a major blind spot, I know for roll over protection probably
    • Plastic wheel well with reflectors I am just not feeling as I think it looks awkward
    • Interior is nice, but I really hope they offer more choices than the bloody damn BLACK only Interior
    • Plastic rear bumper looks like it could easily be pulled off if caught on something when off-roading
    • HATE the Chrome strip across the rear bumper
    • Wish the plastic reflectors in the bumper would have led illumination.

Over all, I like the stance, look of this SUV, but there are things that I just do not like as stated and a few more.

19 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

A 2.5L 4cylinder is the standard engine?  Are they taking notes from Mazda?  Mazda has been doing that in their SkyActiv engines (virtually all models) for the past several years now.

No, Mazda gives you a turbo inline six now in this class, and rear wheel drive.  Far superior drivetrain.

I like Mazda.   (I thought Id start off by saying to let people know about how I feel about Mazda)

But Mazda done inline 6 with a turbo on a RWD theme to go upmarket.   Commendable Id say.  If this was 1999.

GMC started going upmarket about that time and coincidentally,  offered an inline 6.   Ironically, Mazda almost introduced a brand new luxo brand 10 years prior but the leaders that be didnt have enough confidence to pull it off like their crosstown rivals Honda, Toyota and Nissan done...   But they did sell that one car they enginnered as their first luxo brand vehicle into a Mazda but it didnt quite hit the sales mark so the  leaders were quite correct in the fear and assumptions of a new luxo Mazda brand not succeeding.

Also, Lexus SUCCEEDED with a TON of transverse V6, FWD  sedans and CUVs without the dumb moniker of ultimate driving machines and right wheel drive---RWD.

What Im trying to say is that

1. inline 6 turbos in 2024 at the dawn of the EV era might just BE too little too late for an image boost and market shift for Mazda

2.  GMC has succeeded going up...UP market WITHOUT the use of an inline 6.  Their big models use V8s, but their smaller offerings use, since the last 40 years, the tried and true transverse V6 WITH FWD bias AWD.

3.  I may bitch about CUVs quite often, but a transverse V6 and FWD is not necessarily an inferior drivetrain to a RWD set-up.    It depends what the vehicle is set up for and what the driver needs of his sedan or CUV.    Ill argue that an inline 6 ON TOP of the front wheel axles would ALSO be a shytty set-up REGARDLESS of the rears pushing the car forward.   As much of a shytty set-up as having a shytty tuned transverse V6 with the fronts pulling the car.

BMW CUVs with inline sixes are nothing to write home about.  And I would bet the Mazda CUV would be the same shyttyness as the Bimmers.   And what is also tricky is that inline 6es tend to be quite long making them NOT ideal in certain packaging criteria regarding...well, comfort for the passenger in the cabin. And being RWD also cuts into that said comfort.  You know...for luxury purposes.

I could be wrong though, with my assesment of things.

But probably not since I have NEVER drank from the BMW fountain and their so called definition of luxury.   With driving dynamics.  Yeah...I never biught into that hot garbage either.  At least not with their econobox offerings.

4. Mazda made and continue to make some pretty cool and sporty,  small FWD cars with transverse 4 pots.

5. GMC need NOT learn ANYTHING from Mazda.   Not even BMW.  GMC done success their way.  They need to inspire to Frank Sinatra and continue on doing what they do.

Edited by oldshurst442

6. There is a reason why inline 6s went away m at the end of the 70s mostly in favour of transverse 4s and 6s.   Because in MANY aspects, it was NOT the superior drivetrain.   V8 with RWD for performance and transverse V6 for packaging.

Sure inline 6s are smoother, but there are many negatives attached to the inlline config.

VW had MAJOR success in combining V and Inline.  Quite a good engine.  Sporty cars too using that set-up WITH FWD and AWD.   BMW does inline 6s good.  THAT is their thing. Just like GM does pushrod V8s good. That is their thing.  But an inline 6 is NOT the end all be all.

Edited by oldshurst442

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I don't think there is any negative to the Inline 6 other than they are too long/wide if you try to put it in a front wheel drive car.  And most car makers the past 40 years wanted to build mediocre front wheel drive cars.  Unless you have a V12, nothing is going to beat inline 6 smoothness.

Although shortly none of this will matter, the electric powertrain being superior to all these ICE powertrains.  And Mazda is too late, an inline six 5-10 years ago maybe would have been a good idea instead of turbo 4's or to replace the Ford sourced V6s from back in the day, but they should have put that money into batteries and electric motors.  Mazda probably won't be here in 10 years.

22 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

and then maybe revisit this

1991–1993 GMC Syclone and Typhoon: 20 Things You Need to Know

EV will allow them to do this.  Where as you can't fit a supercharged V8 into a GMC Terrain, you can put 2 electric motors making 500 hp in there.  You can put 500 hp in a Trax or a Bolt and have an EV that is like $30k after tax credits that can beat a $150,000 Corvette Z06 in a drag race.  EV lets you make anything fast, which will also make the performance cars of yesterday look bad.

CAFE is basically the reason small trucks are dead, the Maverick only meets CAFE because it is a hybrid.  But in EV land, GM can bring back a small truck like a Maverick, have a 200 hp version, a 400 hp dual motor, an 800 hp quad motor if they want to.

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Yes. That is EXACTLY why I mentioned the Typhoon and Syclone with the same breath as hinting at battery electric technology and why I think that Mazda offering an inline 6 at THIS point in time to change image is too little too late.

I am not at all surprised at GMC never again revisiting a speed performance smallish SUV and pick-up truck.  The Syclone and Typhoon were not well recieved by the public back in the day.  The concept of zero ground clearance and no hauling capacity on utilitaerian vehicles  confused people.  And GMC as a brand wasnt coveted either.  But like you said, today is a different time.  GMC has brand cachet where GMC could re-enter the realm of speed oriented CUVs and pick-ups and join the ranks of Porsche Cayennes, Lambo Urus and the like with Battery Electrics.   As you said.

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I think inline 6s are OVERrated.

Smoothness is just about the ONLY advantage I see in the world that consisted of stringent CAFE measures, downsize-ment and fuel economy.  From the 1970s until just about the 2000s.   The V6, in longtitude form in a RWD config but ESPECIALLY in tranverse form for FWD was just about THE only way to go.   For packaging purposes because cars did get smaller but I6 were also gas guzzlers...

Inline 6s made sense again from 2000s up until today because of new technologies making I6s more frugal on gasoline consumption.  Couple that with turbocharging and these engines were beasts.  But then again, supercharged V8s not only come in smaller packages as compared to I6s, especially in OHV form, may make similar power, but a whole LOT more TORQUE...

And... in the freewheelin' days of the 1960s, when gas mileage was not an issue but huge horsepower was, big cubed V8s were the answer.   Because NO I6 could even come CLOSE to the horsepower those big block V8s produced.  And...when big crass noise exited the huge ass muscle car when revving up the big V8 and the whole road shook, never mind the car itself, smoothness was NOT a factor...   And...472 and 500 some odd cubic inched V8 Cadillacs and 460 cubic inched Lincolns tuned to be revving up lazily just as smooth as an I6.   Couple those Caddys and Lincolns with that pillowy suspensions they had and smoothness was unparalleled.   Only French cars were smoother.   And the DS from Citroen had a buzzy I4.   The SM had a V6...   Answer: hydropneumatic suspension.

Engine smoothness is cool and all.  But where I live, shytty road surfaces are a thing and honestly,  I6s are a moot point.  So yeah... a better suspension ABSORBING potholes is a much more appreciated asset than an I6.

So yeah, these are just a few reasons why I think inline 6s ARE overrated.

Edited by oldshurst442

Stellantis is going I6 too though.

Stellantis is doing this for different reasons.  The French group part  HAS EV technology and has seen success selling them in Europe already.  This R&D technology was created and existed BEFORE  the French Group bought out FCA. So for Stellantis, R&D for EVs has been invested and continue to do so.   And with the advent of Chrysler engineers, the SRT guys, more engineering brain power has entered the fray.

There are plenty of Stellantis brands with an already established performance image with a plethora of performance vehicles to make a good business case in introducing as a final internal combustion engine offering in their line-up.  Couple that Stellantis ALSO has a bevy of luxury minded brands as well, an I6 for smoothness is yet another good reason to engineer a last internal combustion offering ever as an inline 6.

55 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I don't think anyone is cross shopping GMC with Porsche or Lamborghini, but in terms of straight line speed everything can be fast and basically take away the advantage that the V12 expensive cars used to have over smaller cars that could only fit a turbo 4 or maybe a V6 into.

The Hyundai Ionic 5 N has 641 hp, so the EV age means you can get small crossovers with supercar horsepower.  GMC could put out a Terrain EV with 600 hp and people would say why doesn't it have 650 to beat the Hyundai, which is stupid since all these numbers are stupid, but that is where we are at.  If the horsepower wars continue into EV's you'll see a Malibu or Equinox with 1,000 hp some day, which doesn't really make sense.

So I hope every manufacturer does a few select crazy horsepower EV's but more importantly is who can build the affordable EV's that people will actually buy.  That Ioniq 5 N is probably a $70-75,000 car, and how many people really want a $75,000 hatchback?  90% of buyers are going to look for who can give decent range with 225 hp at a $30-35,000 price point.

On 9/15/2023 at 8:38 AM, ccap41 said:

Just had my four year carversary the other day….just about 37000 on the odometer ….

• Oh Yeah! 1

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

What're your thoughts/opinions of it? What year is it? What are things you love about it and things you hate about it?

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

I would suggest he updates his thread with a good Love/Hate review of his Tour-X after 37,000 miles.

The smaller GMC Acadia should be a separate model along with the newer (larger) Acadia AND larger then the current Terrain.  New name, of course.  I suspect that a lot of people would like the choice of three differently sized crossovers.  No need to do that with the Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs.

I'm not up to speed with the different platforms and sizes and they almost confuse me because I'm not that analytical with this niche. I just know that, of all these 2 volume vehicles, the only 2 I have ever liked have been from GM - the Acadia and the Envision.  They seem to strike a good balance.

So, is this 2.5 4 cylinder the one that came standard on the last Impala, but now with a turbocharger plopped onto it? Is it the same in terms of its specs? I liked the Ecotec 2.5 when I've rented a car with one.

Also, the 2024 Acadia photos are almost certainly taken at Acadia National Park in Maine, probably the only state on the American Atlantic coastline where mountains meet the sea, which is the norm on the Pacific.

Flattering photos of this 2024 model!

On 9/16/2023 at 12:58 AM, oldshurst442 said:

Inline-6es generally have better durability, they simply have more journal bearings than a V engine of the same cylinder count. The smoothness aspect, especially when paired with some turbos, can't be overstated.

It's a luxury good rather than an all-out performance good.

On 2/3/2024 at 6:13 PM, trinacriabob said:

Flattering photos of this 2024 model!

No. This 2.5 is the 2.7 from the Cadillac CT4/5 and the Silverado/Sierra/Colorado/Canyon, but slightly detuned.  If you liked the Ecotec 2.5, you'll like this. Much much more power.

• Agree 1
    • Educational 1

• google-news-icon.png

• google-news-icon.png

Cheers and Gears Logo

Since 2001 we've brought you real content and honest opinions, not AI-generated stuff with no feeling or opinions influenced by the manufacturers.

Please consider subscribing. Subscriptions can be as little as $1.75 a month, and a paid subscription drops most ads.*

You can view subscription options here.

*a very limited number of ads contain special coupon deals for our members and will show

• Community Hive Community Hive

Community Hive allows you to follow your favorite communities all in one place.

Follow on Community Hive

• Some interesting reading. Here's Why People Are Willing to Pay More for an EV - CNET The Real Costs of Electric Car Ownership - CNET Why I Don't Own an Electric Car Yet - CNET EV Charging vs. Gas: We Do the Math to See Which is Cheaper - CNET I will say that the last writing where people say installing a home charger negates any savings on charging versus gas buying. That might be true if they have been driving a Prius but for me that had an SS my wife drove spending $600 a month on premium fuel or $7,200 a year on gas, even if I had paid the cost of an Electrician installing a home charger rather than doing it myself as I wrote about here:   I am still coming out ahead on home charging with an EV that is roomy, comfortable and way better in many ways than my SS was.
    • Yes, that is correct, the miles between charging that has been driven by my wife. Correct, on your 265 miles statement. We are charging almost 100% at home as unless I go on a road trip, there is no need for local fast charging at this time since we can just come home plug it in and the next morning before my wife leaves, she has a full battery pack. So other than the Electrify America Charging in Yakima that we did when we went for cherries two weeks ago, all charging is at home.
    • Great writeup, David! It's much appreciated. On your screenshot of "Charging Activity" Is that the miles driven between those dates?  So, you drove 265 miles from the 5th to 10th and it cost you $9.22? Am I reading that correctly? And at 0.10/kw that's about 92.2kw used from the two dates?  What percentage do you charge to at home? Are you charging to 100%? 90%? 80%?
    • The grand plan was a separate new service to the house of 200 amps so that the garage would have plenty of power for charging multiple EVs and I would have a separate bill each cycle for knowing what I was spending for EV driving. Waking up in the morning to a full charge of power and never having to stop at a gas station due to having a Level 2, 240-volt home charger is a luxury everyone should have allowing you to smile as you drive by a gas station with folks outside dealing with their fueling. The ultimate perk of EV ownership.  I started with reaching out to my local utility and inquiring of the process for a new service. My local utility was more than accommodating in helping me out with the details. As an engineer that loves to learn, this process was very eye opening into the costs, lack of efficiencies by agencies and electrical contractors with a surprising ending to my eventual solution. Let's start off by making one thing clear, every state has their own regulations in regard to electrical. While the USA follows the national electrical code as a starting point, each state, county and city then adds their own additions or subtractions to the code. Always make sure to follow your local code no matter if you hire a company, independent contractor or are a DIY (Do it Yourself) type of person. Full information on the national electrical code can be found here:  The National Electrical Code (NEC) - Electrical Safety Foundation (esfi.org) Another thing to point out is every state has their own way of dealing with electrical supply and competition. As such, some states allow their end users to pick among competitive electrical suppliers even to the point of choosing to use Green Energy (Solar, Wind, and or Hydro) or not (Coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear). Other states tend to regulate this down to the city and or county within a state. Washington state is a regulated power supply state so that depending on the county you live in; you deal with your county or the state power supplier. Washington state has one of the greenest electrical grides in the country. It produces 7,816 MWh of electricity and it breaks down as follows: Figures as of May 16th, 2024 Petroleum-Fired - 0% Natural Gas - 21.3% Coal-Fired - 3.9% Nuclear 10.3% Renewables - 64.1% (Hydro, Wind, Solar & Ocean) Fueling Stations in Washington State: Motor Gasoline - 1,846 Stations Propane - 64 Stations EV Charging - 2,153 stations E85 - 5 stations Biodiesel, CNG, & Other Alternatives - 8 stations If you wish to check out your own state information you can do so here by clicking on your state:  U.S. Energy Information Administration - EIA - Independent Statistics and Analysis Starting off on my project I had decided to go ahead with a ChargePoint+ Home Flex Hardwired solution. Yes, there are a wide variety of good home chargers that run from $250 to $2000 dollars such as the Porsche home charger. Home Flex Hardwired Level 2 EV Charger (chargepoint.com) The choice of this charger was based on the following: Some of the best reviews out there by thousands of people Hardwired allowed me the best power supply available to the EV building in future protection as newer EV tech comes online. ChargePoint sells both CCS and NACS supply cords, making upgrades from my current EV with CCS to a future EV with NACS easy as a self-Upgrade to the charger. ChargePoint app allows for use both at their fast-charging network and to track my own use and cost. You can find a large diverse choice of L1 and L2 chargers on Amazon or from other sources. Many utilities will have rebates if you purchase through your local utility or in the case of my own system, I had to file a rebate form as my charger was on the approved list, but not available from my utility. ChargePoint+ also points out that till 2032 you might be able to qualify for a $1,000 rebate from the federal government. Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Incentives | ChargePoint Now that I have covered some of the basics about electrical and power source, lets dive into my journey for a Level 2 Home Charger. Karl at the Snohomish PUD sent me a form that I had to fill out, this was a "New Service Residential Request" form. Here I had to fill out the normal details such as my house address, current status of the electrical to the home, type of new service being requested, pictures of where the service would need to be connected to the house and where I wanted the service panel to be, etc. This form had an area for requested measurements from the house to the utility pole, gross measurements of where the wiring would need to go so that the service could be sized up accordingly. The last part was the direction from my PUD on checking with the city for any additional requirements. For those wanting to see what the new service request form looks like I supply it here: 1097R_NSQres.pdf City requirements were that any electrical changes to the existing structure that comprised more than 10% cost of the home improvement value as assessed by the county required that the electrical lines from the utility pole to the house be installed underground rather than overhead. Luckily for me, my estimated costs would be under this so I was not looking to have to figure this into the cost of adding the service or so I thought. Karl at SNOPUD said he would do the assessment and have out to me the updated info shortly. In the meantime, I reached out to a couple of recommended electrical companies from the SNOPUD website and a few independent electricians to get estimates on the work to be done. Specifically, I wanted two quotes, first is the all-new service added to the house with dedicated panel feeding the garage. Second was updating the existing panel to support a charger in the garage using my existing service. Here I was expecting a $5 to $6 thousand dollar install connection for the first service and based on the auto industry estimate of around $1,500 to $2,000 for the second. Boy was I off by a bunch. All the estimates from both the electrical companies I contacted, and the independent contractors had the new service install between $10 to $12 thousand dollars and the existing services was between $4,700 to $6,200. This also did not include the connection to the PUD. Here I was informed from Karl at SNOPUD that the service could be done but would require a new transformer to our cul-d-sac to support the added amperage pull. As such, this was more than just a wire connection but an outage to the cul-d-sac ending in an almost $15,000 charge. Who knew that adding a service where you pay them for the flow of electricity would have such a huge cost and impact on my project. This put the cost of a new service between $25,000 to $27,000 dollars. So much for the Auto Industry estimates of $1,500 to $2,000 dollars and it also did not include the required $125.00 electrical permit I would have to get from the city and inspection. I did keep in mind that the price of electrical work varies based on the cost of labor where one lives, power of the charger, distance from the charger to the electrical panel along with the job complexity. What about DIY (Do it Yourself), could I do this job myself and what would the cost be? First, I knew from all the quotes that I was greatly under my 200-amp service pull as I have Gas stove, Dryer, Water heater and Furnace. As such, the 240V 30-to-50-amp circuits that are in my panel are not being used at all. One of the independent electricians had stated that the cheapest way would be to pull an existing circuit breaker and run the wire into the panel with the new Circuit breaker, but most electricians did not like leaving existing wires from outlets in the panel even if they were sealed off, they just did not like doing this, so everyone had quoted based on adding a secondary panel. With this information, I researched from the ChargePoint+ website on installing the hardwired charger I had purchased from them. ChargePoint+ has installation videos and covers all the information on installation as well as becoming a certified installation expert. ChargePoint Home Resources | ChargePoint ChargePoint Home Flex (CPH50) Hardwired Installation Video | ChargePoint Become a Certified ChargePoint Installer | ChargePoint From the website above I gathered the following information on the materials that I would need. Conduit large enough to hold the wiring Brackets to attach the conduit and screws 90-degree wire access conduit Associated pipe nipple for connection into the panel Insulated bushing Appropriate washer and locknut for connection to the panel 6 AWG wiring Black, Red and Green wires per code ChargePoint+ clearly states to use 6AWG for their Level 2 Charger installation. 6 AWG wire stripper 70amp circuit breaker Some states require these to be Arc or GFCI for indoor or outdoor, national code for outdoor installation is a GFCI breaker upstream from the outdoor installation. Check local regulations for proper type required. Make sure to get the proper type of circuit breaker for your panel, I had D block circuits. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters vs. Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters - Bob Vila Torque Screwdriver set Most do not know that depending on the size of the circuit breaker, when you connect the wiring to the breaker, the screws must be torqued to a certain range. The 70amp circuits per the side of the breaker states 45 in. lbs. Paintable caulking to seal both access points into the house for the charger. With having my list of materials, I choose to first compare prices online from Home Depot and Lowe's. What I found was that Home Depot was much higher in the cost of the wiring, but cheaper in conduit, circuit breakers and accessories. Lucky, I have both home improvement stores within a 2-mile radius of my house. What I also noticed was that neither home improvement store had the required tools I would need, so clearly, I would have to stop off at my local Harbor Freight tool store. Harbor Freight Tools | Quality Tools, Lowest Prices With the knowledge of what I needed and a shopping list, I headed out and accomplished the following: Electrical Permit from my city.  Wiring from Lowe's - Lowe’s Home Improvement (lowes.com) Conduit, circuit breaker and accessories from Home Depot - The Home Depot Tools from Harbor Freight tools company - Harbor Freight Tools | Quality Tools, Lowest Prices Opening up the electrical panel as you can see here, I have my household 200amp circuit at the top. This will kill power to everything in the house, below this was the kitchen and laundry room 240V circuit and then on down throughout the rest of the house to the garage with various circuits. At this point, I knew that I would be turning off the 200amp circuit to work on this panel and protect the rest of the house. Note to point out is that when you turn off this 200amp circuit, the power is not flowing to the rest of the panel, but you still have the power coming from the street to this panel and so there is live electricity in that 200amp circuit. One must always be cautious when working with electrical. One safety thing to do, remove ALL jewelry, watches, phones, etc. Have nothing on you that is electrical or any kind of metal and that includes a wedding ring. All these are places that can cause an electrical jump / short that can cause you harm. As one that grew up working on auto's and having great respect for the electrical system of auto's, homes, datacenters, etc. there are some things that I do not have a problem doing. In this case I kept the power to the house on while I pulled the panel cover off. A proper panel should have all the wires in 90 degrees to the circuit breakers and to the grounding / neutral bars that are silver in this case. Here I have not had any manipulation of the box done with patchwork electrical hacks. It is always best to learn the details or hire the proper person to do your electrical work. Being that I am comfortable with pulling out the circuit breaker that is turned off, I choose to pull and replace the 240V 30-amp laundry room circuit. Here in this picture, you can see it removed and a better view of the grounding / neutral bar of the electrical panel. At this point, I wanted to pull out the punch of where I was going to run the new electrical lines into the panel. Once I pulled out the punch, I drilled a small starter hole from the inside to the outside so I could line up properly the larger drill bit for the incoming conduit. Upon drilling, I attached the pipe nipple extension to the 90-degree wire access conduit, and I inserted it through the outside wall. Here I put on the washer, lock nut and insulated bushing as you can see here. Now the next step was to install the conduit, some love their hard conduit and gluing it together as it comes in 10ft lengths, and you then have to either use a special heater tool to bend the hard conduit or buy the proper pieces that are curved. I choose to go with liquid proof flexible commercial conduit. The benefit here is that while this is a bit more expensive, the flexibility of the line makes it so much easier to install. One thing no matter what type of conduit you choose to use is that one has to run the electrical lines through the conduit. Hard conduit can be with tight bends very challenging to run the electrical lines unless you have a special tool that allows you to snake through the conduit, attach the electrical lines and then it uses an electrical motor to pull it. I choose to run my flexible conduit out in a straight line, and I had pushed through my three 6awg lines through it so that I had the wire already in the conduit. Now this does make the conduit much heavier to install, but I found it faster and easier to do it this way. You will also notice that I have a Black, White and Green wire rather than the code dictating a Black, Red and Green wire. Both Lowe's and Home Depot were out at the time of purchase the red 6awg wire. So, I did what is allowed and that is on the ends of the wire at both ends, I wrapped them with red electrical tape. I started with connecting the liquid tight end connector to the flexible conduit and attaching it to the 90 degree wire access to the panel. I pushed the wires through to the inside and reattached the liquid tight cover and then started using the brackets to attach the conduit to the house. Two things to consider, one is the over all look of the installation, sometimes the cheapest approach is not the best especially when it comes to ones significant other, wife, partner, etc., not everyone likes to see conduit. I choose to do my best to minimize the visibility of the conduit and once I paint it to match the house it will truly not show up as the wife never noticed it when she came home till after I showed here. Upon installation of the conduit with the 6 AWG wires, it was time to mount the home charger in my designated place. Here you need to make sure it is level, supported by the wall which can sometimes require additional bracing. Here you see my ChargePoint+ unit being installed on the wall. With the charger installed onto the wall, I finished up the connection of the conduit / wires into the unit. Connected the electrical supply side and the charging cable side and reinstalled the cover. With the installation of the charger unit and wiring done, it was time to focus on the circuit breaker installation side. Here I had an LED head light as I finally turned off the 200-amp circuit breaker to the house. I attached the red and black wires to the circuit breaker, installed the ground wire and then installed the circuit breaker into the panel. I also at this time wrapped each wire from the laundry outlet in proper electrical tap and a wire twist to add additional protection and secured them out of the way in the panel corner. I also at this time used my torque screwdriver to ensure proper torque on the wires. With the installation completed at the panel side, I turned back on the 200-amp circuit enabling the house to have power and was time to go enable the charger unit. Here ChargePoint+ has an outstanding cellphone app to enable you to finish up the setup of the charger. I was able to connect to the unit via WiFi and set the unit to 70 amp circuit hardwired. I also then connected it to my house WiFi for internet access. This allowed me to do a update on the unit for software. Here ChargePoint has on the left side of the unit indicators for WiFi connection. Green is good and as you can see in the picture above, I have WiFi connection and the alert is showing green so no issues with the charger. Upon using the regular ChargePoint software app on my smartphone I was able to complete setting up an account and final configuration of my charger as a home charger unit. The unit is green when not in use but ready to be used. During Charging the unit is a pulsing blue. At this point, I had a functional Level 2 240V 50amp hardwired home EV charger with CCS connector. What did this cost me, simple a total of $1,032.23 Level 2 ChargePoint+ Home Flex hardwired charger: $549.99 plus $54.99 sales tax before $200.00 rebate. Total Cost of Materials: $391.77 which was from Home Depot & Lowe's. Tools bought for the job: $110.48 which comprised of a 6 AWG wire striper and a Torque Screwdriver set from Harbor Freight. Electrical Permit: $125 from the city. Best part of this is the cheap charging we get at home at .10 cents per kW. The ChargePoint app allows me to track and monitor in real time our costs and amount used, so it will make it easy to subtract it from the electrical bill to see the house use versus the EV. The app shows that I am constantly at the 11kW controller capabilities of home charging from Kia. This brings me back to why I titled this the Good, Bad and the Ugly. New Service request is the ugly as the costs of the new service from my power supplier has costs that have never been talked about before to me and I still have to pay for the electrical use which makes this the ugly when you are looking at a five figure cost. The bad is clearly adding the new service panel and the associated costs to an electrical company to do the work, pretty much double what the auto industry has stated having a Level 2 home charger installed would actually cost. Good is for those of you who are willing to learn and do the work, a DIY install is in my humble opinion a very cheap way to go even though it did take a chunk of my time, I have no regrets about learning the process to install and dealing with my city on installation. End result is a quality home charger that will serve me well for many years. Please post any questions or comments, happy to respond on this personal journey into home charging of my EV. View full article
    • Tongue and Groove is best! For the Computer Nerds here:

• There are no registered users currently online

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search