Lincoln: We're Still Committed to Cars

Everyone: But for how long?!

Ever since Ford announced that it would cutting most of their passenger car lineup, questions arose as to what would happen to the subsequent Lincoln models. The Contiental and MKZ share platforms with Ford models that will be cut - Fusion and Taurus.

Thankfully, we have gotten an answer to this. A Lincoln spokesperson told Automobile Magazine they are "committed" to both the Contiental and MKZ. No other information was provided.

But there arises the question as to how long Lincoln is "committed" to both models. The MKZ has seen sales decline from 34,009 in 2014 (the year it was redesigned) to 27,387 units last year. The Continental hasn't been faring any better with only 12,012 units sold in 2017. The Cadillac XTS outsold it by 4,263 units.

As we reported last month in the rumorpile, plans for a next-generation Continental have been canned.

Source: Automobile Magazine

I thought the next generations Continental was getting suicide doors.

Re-reading through that story, I got the indication that it would be part of mid-cycle refresh or something.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I thought the next generations Continental was getting suicide doors.

1 hour ago, William Maley said:

My opinion on reading here and multiple other sites is that the Suicide doors are a mid cycle refresh. Could be the last Hurrah of the car as it gets those great doors and probably some very nice upgrades.

I suspect that sooner or later all of Lincoln will be toast because Cadillac is outselling Lincoln everywhere in every segment.

I would strongly doubt suicide doors could be done in any passable engineering way south of a next generation body.

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Somehow I think a lineup of all "trucks" is going to work for them.....

I predict the "all new" Zephyr Luxury Cross Tourer based on the Focus Active Crossfit thing.  MKZ is so dead, they might keep the Continental around because of China, but that platform will get even more dated and sales will dwindle and then they'll kill it anyway.

The new Explorer platform is apparently flexible enough. Hopefully they can use that for some Lincoln sedans as well as the Aviator.

Point taken.  I assumed that Continental is a new car that will be coming that is different from the model out there now.  That is how the dealers made it seem at that event they recently attended. That would give Lincoln the room to create a true "Continental" without a Ford version and to align it more with Aviator and Explorer platform.  Back in the day they had fewer platforms and created more cars off of them too.

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Sadly, If both leave, doubt anyone might notice.....

Too bad, as I like the look of the new MKZ....

Zephyr.....one way to burn to the ground.......

How much would that weigh?

On 4/29/2018 at 1:44 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Hopefully as much as the Continental...

Probably more since the current Explorer is a CUV rather than a sedan.

19 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Probably more since the current Explorer is a CUV rather than a sedan.

Good..the current Continental is only about 4200lbs.

i looked into the 400hp MKZ, those sticker for 60k.  Even with mammoth discounts, if Ford can't make big bucks on a tarted up Fusion with that sticker, even with low volume, they deserve to go under.

18 hours ago, regfootball said:

You can get them as low as $43k sticker... but even then your point stands.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You can get them as low as $43k sticker... but even then your point stands.

well if you get the black label crap and the high end revel audio etc. its ridiculous but then can spec out near 60k... for Fusion deluxe

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

Platform sharing..I'm sure the XTS can similarly be priced up much higher than other models it shares a platform with.. or a Lexus ES compared to a Camry.

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

The XTS gets into the 70s and sells there since I see those models hit the used market at 2 years old pretty frequently.

It boggles my mind how I once liked Lincoln more than Buick and now I could care less about their entire lineup (although the newest Navigator's interior choices made me look twice).

2 hours ago, Paolino said:

What is it about them that you don't like?

Ford is just too tied to its FSeries. And if they actually are able to hybridize their entire lineup, then there will be efficient utility options.

I can see the dispeleasure, but in the end if they choose to kill of their sedans, well it might just be the best time to get a Fusion for a song.

I’d get the Fusion Hybrid, because that’s actually the best Fusion available in terms of overall purpose, no EcoBoost false promise, and while the battery isn’t under the seats, the trunk still has a pass through. And the discounts plus decent FE make its cost of ownership competitive with newer midsize hybrids that get 3-5 mpg better.

4 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I'm with you there but upgrade to the Fusion Energi

Beat plug in midsize value is probably the Clarity after 14k in rebates here.  Too bad it looks a mess.

What is it about them that you don't like?

I absolutely can't get on board with the styling.  The current ones are better than the 2000s, but I haven't liked its styling since the mid/late 90s depending on the model.

15 hours ago, frogger said:

Clarity makes me :puke: due to the looks.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:50 PM, frogger said:

Its proportions are the worst in the business. It looks soooo bad.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Its proportions are the worst in the business. It looks soooo bad.

I'll be driving one in about 2 weeks.

I'll be driving one in about 2 weeks.

I'm intrigued with how it drives.

My dad is very interested in it(function over form) as both him and my mom's work commutes are very short so the whole plug-in would be great for them.

Seems to have an older version of their infotainment than the Accord (no Volume knob), it has some odd visibility issues with that rear deck, it drives softer than an Accord, and the engine revs/noise can be oddly disconcerting/disconnected with your actual driving behaviour when it fires up.  I could get it cheaper than a mid-level Accord though after the rebates.  I'm not thrilled with paying $10 a day in fuel for my 50 mile roundtrip commute these days due to our inflating gas prices.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I'm intrigued with how it drives.

VOLT would be superior to the Clarity Nightmare.

36 minutes ago, frogger said:

Get a VOLT, Far superior than this car. You can get CPO Volts with less than 36K miles for 10-14K.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

VOLT would be superior to the Clarity Nightmare.

They don't want a near sub compact car at all.

What's wrong with the Clarity to refer to it as a "nightmare"?

VOLT would be superior to the Clarity Nightmare.

WTF, one is a large midsize family car, the other a small compact.

Edited by frogger

My dad also refuses to by any GM vehicle at this point. He's stuck in the bailout situation and will not contribute to them ever again.

39 minutes ago, frogger said:

What're you driving that costs you $10 for 50 miles?

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

They don't want a near sub compact car at all.

What's wrong with the Clarity to refer to it as a "nightmare"?

Style, dash, Honda's in ability to actually have a solid performing hybrid, Heck so many petro only auto's that perform better than Honda has done with their Hybrids. Volt is NOT a sub compact car.

image.png

image.png

One Mid Size, one Compact, 500 lbs difference in weight, be interesting to see Drews review when he gets the Clarity and drives it to read his thoughts on the car and how it stacks up to the VOLT.

In regards to the Bailout of GM, people need to get over the history and realize that EVERYONE paid for saving MILLIONS of jobs and a far healthier company.

VOTE OUT the ENTRENCHED IDIOTS in DC if you want real change.

In regards to Lincoln committed to Cars, if they can bring out true luxury Hybrid cars and CUVs that out shine the competition, they will go far, until then, the rebadge of Ford products has a long way to go. Start by putting the quality of the Navigator interior into all auto's Stat!

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

What're you driving that costs you $10 for 50 miles?

I usually commute with a 4 cylinder Accord or TSX.  Our prices are 30% higher here, around $4.20 USD a gallon and much of my commute is in stop and go Toronto traffic.

My parents swore off GM around 2005 after two bad ones in a row.

The Volt is ~4 inches shorter than a Cruze. My parents don't want a compact car let along one smaller than a compact car. Like I said, "near sub compact car".

VOTE OUT the ENTRENCHED IDIOTS in DC if you want real change.

1 vote only goes so far. You do the rest with your voting dollars which means more to politicians than anything else anyway.

And there's nothing wrong with having an opinion on a given situation. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean he should "get over the history". He doesn't like how it was all handled so they won't get his money again. Pretty simple. He's not on any auto forums preaching to people what they should or shouldn't do.

19 minutes ago, frogger said:

My parents swore off GM around 2005 after two bad ones in a row.

Yeah stop and go traffic, 50 mile commute and $4.20/gal add up pretty quick..

Yeah I don't mind people swearing them off. Everybody does it with their own least favorite brands anyway.

Honda's in ability to actually have a solid performing hybrid

Explain what this means. Give me a definition of a Honda hybrid not performing the way it is supposed to, please.

Yeah stop and go traffic, 50 mile commute and $4.20/gal add up pretty quick..

At this point I don't have a favoured brand, most are worth considering.  Every model has its own plus and minuses and I will vote with my wallet based on needs, research, budget etc, without sentimentality or bias.  Both our cars are 10 years old and have had no issues aside from wear and tear items though.  We only need one car so it could be 5+ years before we buy again.

Gotta question those awful performing Honda Accord Hybrids with their mid 40's mpg and 0-60 in 7.0 seconds, huge trunks and passenger areas..

2 hours ago, frogger said:

Fusion Energi? I drove a very nicely equipped Titanium Energi last year and really liked it. They can be a steal on the used market.

Edit: Maybe it was a Platinum.... anyway, the interior was really nice.

It has been some time since we last reported on PSA Group's plan to re-enter the U.S. When we last checked in, Peugeot was chosen as the brand to be entering the U.S. by 2023 and rumors were swirling about a possible merger between PSA Group and FCA. A lot has changed since then as the two automakers begin to finalize plans for a merger, and the COVID-19 pandemic has no end in sight in the U.S. What does that mean for Peugeot's return to the U.S.?
      "My role is to grow the PSA business in North America, growing our mobility capability and preparing for the launch of Peugeot." said Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America to Automotive News.
      "From our standpoint, we're planning as if [the merger] doesn't exist. We're marching forward as if PSA was going to be there by themselves."
      Dominique is right now focused on the present with the top priority being building out a dealer network for both U.S. and Canada before the launch. He explained that the company is planning a two-prong approach, having franchised dealers and online retailing.
      "The future success for OEMs is the reduction of distribution costs while ensuring both retail and OEM margin sustainability. This has to be done through strong pricing power, not volume turnover," he said.
      Part of this is due to COVID-19 pandemic which has many automakers rethinking how they sell vehicles, something Dominique admits is a big challenge.
      "All my competitors are going to be focusing on digital, which means we have to step up our game and deliver an even stronger customer experience when we launch Peugeot in North America. We need to get out of an environment where the retailers are dependent upon just F&I and service to pay their bills."
      Another challenge facing Dominique, what models to sell in the U.S. The market has changed a lot since PSA Group announced its intentions to re-enter the U.S. Consumers now are focused on trucks and crossovers.
      "I don't have a full-sized truck,. But the C and D segments are what's relevant to us. The C and D segments are high volume and important to North America. That's where we're going to focus initially,"
      To us, this hints at the 3008 and 5008 crossovers being some of the first models to be available.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      The COVID-19 pandemic has basically brought most of the world to halt. Orders to stay at home, businesses either having workers to their work from home or closing down, and unemployment skyrocketing is causing the economy to crater. There are efforts to try and jump-start the economy such as $1,200 stimulus checks. But an executive at Ford wants to see a return of a "cash for clunkers" like program.
      “We think some level of stimulus somewhere on the other side of this would help not only the auto industry and our dealers, which are a huge part of our overall economy, but will help the customers as well,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford’s vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service to Bloomberg.
      “Cash for clunkers was very effective at that time. It would be nice to think we could have something equally as effective for 2020 when we get out of this because it was a great program.”
      According to LaNeve, internal discussions are taking place at Ford about doing a similar program and there are plans to bring the Government in to these talks.
      When asked by Automotive News about this, Ford spokeswoman Rachel McCleery said, "The auto industry is America’s economic engine.We are encouraging Congress to look at a variety of ways to drive job creation, increase demand, support customers and provide long-term stability for the entire auto ecosystem."
      A brief refresher on the Cash for Clunkers program. In 2009, the U.S. Government introduced a billion initiative called the Car Allowance Rebate System, which gave a voucher worth between $2,900 and $4,500 to anyone replacing a vehicle newer than 1984. Their old vehicle would be taken away and disposed of. The program was nicknamed Cash for Clunkers.
      On the surface, the program was a success. Within first month, all of the funds were exhausted. This prompted the U.S. congress infuse an addition two billion into the program, which would be all gone within 17 days. But begin to look deeper and the results are mixed. In 2012, a study published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics described the program as being a bit of a wash,
      "...the effect of the program on auto purchases is almost completely reversed by as early as March 2010 — only seven months after the program ended.”
      Other studies have come to the same conclusion.
      There's also the question of how many perfectly good used cars were taken off the road due to the program.
      Source: Bloomberg via Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Drive, The Truth About Cars

Other studies have come to the same conclusion.
      The coronavirus has caused a number of auto shows to either be pushed back (New York) or cancelled (Geneva). Add another show to the list as the Detroit Free Press is reporting tonight at the Detroit Auto Show has been cancelled.
      In a memo that was sent to sponsors today, organizers of the show said that the TCF Center (formally known as Cobo Hall) has been designated as field hospital by Federal Emergency Management Administration [FEMA] for the next six months.
      "The health and welfare of the citizens of Detroit and Michigan is paramount. TCF Center is the ideal location for this important function at this critical and unprecedented time,” NAIAS executive director Rod Albert wrote in the memo obtained by the Free Press.
      The news was confirmed by ABC affiliate WXYZ after speaking with the chair of the 2020 show, Doug North.
      "The North American International Auto Show is officially canceled. TCF is working with FEMA to use the center to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak," said North.
      Ford and General Motors also confirmed the cancellation to The Detroit News.
      Michigan is becoming one of the hardest hit states with COVID-19. State officials announced today that there are 4,650 confirmed cases and 111 deaths linked to COVID-19. Wayne County, where the show takes place has the highest numbers of the state - 2,316 confirmed cases and 46 deaths.
      This was going to be a big year for the Detroit Auto Show with the move to the summer. Plans included rides and drives; an off-road course, and demonstration of autonomous vehicles.
      Source: Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, WXYZ

• VW showed off their production electric EV CUV. AWD with 250 mile battery pack will start at $44,890. Their RWD model is available starting Q1 2021, Q3 2021 is when the AWD model will go on sale at VW dealerships. VW says they will have about 160,000 available $7,500 tax credits when this goes on sale to help lower the price. RWD is 201HP, AWD is 302 HP, 0 to 60 in 8 seconds, will compete with the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4. https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1129702_2021-vw-id-4-250-mile-electric-suv-starts-at-41490   ID.4 Pro
    • Saw one of these at the dealership while the Flex was being serviced.   Vanderhall Carmel (Autocycle). It’s like an Aerial Atom had a drunken baby with a Polaris Slingshot.
    • Yeah, I haven't been in a Dunkin or Tim's in years...I occasionally leave the house and go through the drive thru at Dunkin..   in the before time, my favorite get of the house and enjoy a breakfast place is Bruegger's Bagels...a large coffee and an everything bagel w/ bacon, egg and cheese was a favorite going back 20+ years--used to go to one in Colorado Springs, Denver, Phoenix, and now here.   When I was at MCI/Worldcom back in the late 90s, had a coworker that I used to meet up with at 6am at Brueggers once a week for breakfast..  I miss the simple pleasures of the before time.
    • There are some Timmys in small towns in North America and they seem to do well or they wouldn't be there.  Just like A&Ws would plant themselves in random small North American towns. However, for the ambiance, you can't beat a Tim Horton's location for a hot drink and a fixed up bagel or a muffin in a Canadian resort area or an urban Canadian setting, eating and drinking with the "eh" or "allo" (how Francophones say hello) crowd. I go through a lot of tea bags at home.  But, every once in a while, it's great to get your coffee or tea in one of these places and enjoy the moment.
    • One reason to go Electric! On a positive note, this is gorgeous. I brew my own at home, saves lots of money.