Despite COVID-19, PSA Group Still Planning A Return By 2023

Still on track, despite all of the circumstances

It has been some time since we last reported on PSA Group's plan to re-enter the U.S. When we last checked in, Peugeot was chosen as the brand to be entering the U.S. by 2023 and rumors were swirling about a possible merger between PSA Group and FCA. A lot has changed since then as the two automakers begin to finalize plans for a merger, and the COVID-19 pandemic has no end in sight in the U.S. What does that mean for Peugeot's return to the U.S.?

"My role is to grow the PSA business in North America, growing our mobility capability and preparing for the launch of Peugeot." said Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America to Automotive News.

"From our standpoint, we're planning as if [the merger] doesn't exist. We're marching forward as if PSA was going to be there by themselves."

Dominique is right now focused on the present with the top priority being building out a dealer network for both U.S. and Canada before the launch. He explained that the company is planning a two-prong approach, having franchised dealers and online retailing.

"The future success for OEMs is the reduction of distribution costs while ensuring both retail and OEM margin sustainability. This has to be done through strong pricing power, not volume turnover," he said.

Part of this is due to COVID-19 pandemic which has many automakers rethinking how they sell vehicles, something Dominique admits is a big challenge.

"All my competitors are going to be focusing on digital, which means we have to step up our game and deliver an even stronger customer experience when we launch Peugeot in North America. We need to get out of an environment where the retailers are dependent upon just F&I and service to pay their bills."

Another challenge facing Dominique, what models to sell in the U.S. The market has changed a lot since PSA Group announced its intentions to re-enter the U.S. Consumers now are focused on trucks and crossovers.

"I don't have a full-sized truck,. But the C and D segments are what's relevant to us. The C and D segments are high volume and important to North America. That's where we're going to focus initially,"

To us, this hints at the 3008 and 5008 crossovers being some of the first models to be available.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Will be interesting to see if and what comes to the North American shores.

PSA can forget cars, waste of time here now. They should be focused on mid size CUV with a Large and Small option for the best start I think. If they come in with a quality product unlike Fiat 500, then they should do well.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

C and D segment sedans would be a differentiator since the domestic big 3 have abandoned those niches.  The market is flooded with generic CUVs, I don't see how they would stand out with such models.

Its a catch-22, isnt it?

Market is not interested in sedans.  CUVs are the sellers.   Market is flooded with bland CUVs. Their CUVs, although more exotic because fully European, are still bland when you look beyond the "exotic" nameplate.

Sedans wont do well, market dictates they wont. Their sedans are no roomier than the canceled American ones.  Their sedans are even "blander" than their American counterparts...   (Their CUVs are more interesting though)

What to sell  in North America becomes a very hard question to answer.  And if answered wrong, WILL spell disaster in a COVID world...

Edited by oldshurst442

I think the only way they can have any hope is to play up the French ness and embrace the weird, with some Citroen and DS models.  The NA market is already crowded with forgettable CUV appliances from NA and Asian brands.

The real thorn of the issue is; if 'Segment A' is not only selling well, but burying 'Segment B', regardless of any specs involved ::
    Is not 'Segment A' therefore, literally, "DESIREABLE"?
    I don't think 'forgettable' is the lead descriptor here.

Well...

French-ness has never really been a very successful selling point in ANY market in ANY era EXCEPT for France. And maybe for a couple of  African French colonial settled countries.

Some weirdo, hippy, hipster folk from  California, Washington and Oregon might buy a few samples, I guess...but then again, if these are not EVs, I don't think even residents of the Pacific Northwest will be interested in PSA.

They will have some sales.  The first year adopters will flock to them. But sales will dwindle.

They only Europeans cars Americans love buying is German.  And even then,  VW goes up and down...

I think French cars will be a hard sell in the US and in Canada.   I wish them luck, but I don't sees it.   No matter what they do styling wise.

I just hope they keep Dodge doing what Dodge does best.

I hope they let Chrysler survive.

I think, the BEST way PSA has in surviving in the US, is that that let their American brands (Dodge (and RAM), Chrysler and Jeep do what Dodge (RAM incl), Chrysler and Jeep does best. And that is be AMERICAN.   And what does THAT mean?

Everytime Chryco was in the dumps, Chryco reinvents itself with good ol fashioned Americana...

K Car and the minivan and all other minivans after that.

Viper

Cab Forward, pure American styling  Concord, LHS, 300M, Intrepid

Prowler (styling using CAD etc... and technological advancements)

PT Cruiser  (MASSIVE success in the first 3-4 years)

Durango

300C/Challenger/Challenger

Everything Jeep since the Renault/AMC days

Everything RAM since the late 1970s

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Well...

Wouldn't Quebecois car shoppers like to have some French choices instead of the usual US and Asian appliances?     Sounds like Peugeot left Canada the same year they left the US, 1991.

Edited by Robert Hall
    • Confused 1
    2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Do not forget the forgettable German models too. Bland and all looking the same.

@oldshurst442 Totally agree with you on what you posted. I doubt other than a few french and weird North American Citizens that Selling a French auto on French weirdness will sell here.

I find the DN CUVs interesting, but not desirable to own. Without an EV edge of something special, Forget having PSA stuff sell on the west coast.

48 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Where the hell was PSA in 1991? 🤔

I thought they died in the US in the late 70's. Never saw anything that was not a special import usually by someone stationed in Europe or specifically France.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I dont know how the Quebecois French Canadians would react to PSA today.    There never ever was an affinity to France by the French people.  I mean, sure, some Quebecois people recognize their ancestral beginnings are from France,  there was always a certain hatred for France for historical reasons...  But a certain love for France as well...duh.

Quebecois LOVE their American cars. STILL to this day. Albeit THAT love is more on the traditional American vehicle.  What is left of it.  Jeep. American full sized pick-up trucks. Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes.  MOPAR was always big in Quebec so the Challenger/Charger cars are hot in Quebec.

And like in the US, some of that love for the American car has faded too.  Japanese and now...Korean vehicles are their go-to for their average joe daily driven rides.  Same as in the rest of North America, I guess.

French cars sold relatively well in Quebec in the 1960s and 1970s.  As compared to what VW and Japanese cars were doing in that time span here.  By the time the mid 70s came around, French cars were selling less and less and the Japaneses cars more and more, but the Big 3 had a huge stranglehold in Quebec.    Actually, GM's decision to close down their Quebec factory is what killed GM in Quebec.  (2002)  GM had a big, big market share in Quebec prior.  Cadillac was not exactly hindered by the German onslaught. Nor the Japanese...

BMWs, Audis and Mercedes cars really dont have the same respect factor they have in the US.  The French DO see these German luxury makes as uber luxury, but they dont have the same reverence...

Who knows...maybe PSA will start eating away at Acura, Infiniti, Buick and those mid-level priced cars from BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz in Quebec?

I think PSA French cars will be what Genesis is in Quebec.  Just another pretty face looking to be relevant.  I think they will take sales away from Buick, from Infiniti, from Genesis. From lease queen 3 Series Bimmers (and their CUV equivalents), C Class M-Bs(and their CUV equivalents)  and A4 Audis(and their CUV equivalents) , but not enough to be a staple on our roads long term.

At best case scenario though, I fear for Buick.  I think Buick will die in Quebec if PSA does their Quebec marketing right.

Edited by oldshurst442
    26 minutes ago, David said:

Where the hell was PSA in 1991? 🤔

They sold the 405 sedan in the US through 1991.   Though I don't recall seeing many...I think I saw a few in the early-mid 90s in the Boston area, and then in the late 90s in Denver.

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

And Buick is at a dead end in NA now, just peddling generic CUVs that have nothing special over the generic CUVs sold by Chevy and GMC..

• Sad 1

A-aaaaannd PSA's CUVs will likewise be 'forgettable & generic appliances', but with no brand recognition, sketchy reliability / parts availability, no dealers, and a lingering negative perception. Likely with 'premium' pricing, because ; "European". Good luck.

I am excited for it.  Will be nice to see some new entrants and cars that the rest of the world gets that we don’t.  And Citroen and Peugeot make crossovers too.

GARBAGE Crossovers, have not heard much positive about them, their rare time in North America was not good either.

12 hours ago, David said:

Where exactly you heard bad things about these crossovers?  I am just curious, any examples?  Unless you read European magazines or have been to Europe and rented them how would you know anything about them?

1 hour ago, ykX said:

As ya know, I am a big person, lucky for me in the past before Dell bought EMC, I did travel and was able to rent. Not impressed, coworkers in Europe have not been impressed either.

Much how people bash American Auto companies cars here for not being up to Asian or European cars, in europe PSA does not have the best rep outside of France by people and the auto's tend to come across when you see them in trashed condition.

Honestly if it was not for the past gov support to PSA I honestly doubt it would still be around. Socialism not showing it's best here in regards to PSA.

This is in addition to my own experience with them when they were here in the states and yes that was a Long LOng  LONG time ago. But then like an Elephant, I do not forget the poor experiences that I wish to NOT repeat.

17 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Even though Buick sells 4 units in China to just 1 here, It is still here.  Sure, Buick CUVs are generally quieter than Chevy and GMC.  Buick could use something else to differentiate it from GMC especially; or GM could simply allow Buick to be China only.

12 minutes ago, David said:

A little hypocritical to judge these cars from the 90s and than with the same breath say that GM of today is not nearly the same as GM of 90s.  My wife and father-in-law had such bad experiences with US cars from the 90s they will not touch them now with a stick.  People always criticize people like that here, but than they do exactly same thing when it comes to a brand different from their favorite brand.

Just want to add, when I traveled in Europe in previous years I had a ride in a few when we took Uber.  I can't say that they were bad.  Nothing exceptional but definitely not bad.  I guess it will be up to PSA which models and trims they decide to bring here and see how they compare to what we have on our market.

Edited by ykX
    3 minutes ago, ykX said:

🤔 When have I criticized people like that? To each their own. I know my 90's experience is different than others and I never dealt with those car issues you and others have stated as I was driving a GMC Suburban I still own from that era. So I never have had those issues, but I understand some have.

We each only have our own experiences to fall back on and till PSA shows differently, rental experience in Europe, coworkers experience in Europe and my own interaction with PSA garbage from the 70's is what it is for now.

2 minutes ago, David said:

When have I criticized people like that?

You constantly criticize people or call them "sheep", people who buy Toyota or Honda over GM and Ford just because Japanese have better "reliability reputation".

Well, as I said plenty of people had such bad experiences with older American cars and great experiences with Japanese, than they will not touch American cars now, justified or not.

As I said very hypocritical to apply same argument differently just because it doesn't align with your views.

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

To be fair to Buick.  Buick is gonna be adding to and refreshing  their US portfolio  in the next 2-3 years.   "Exciting" new (CUV) product.  2 EVs.  A couple of new models.

One thing that we cant be pissy about with Buick is that at least  the interior quality of their vehicles is Buick worthy.

2 hours ago, ykX said:

Will agree to disagree as Toyota and Honda have a Perception of better reliability but far from it on appliance auto's. Have seen plenty of crap from those companies and I will agree with the term Sheep seem to be lazy in taking care of their auto's.

Sheep need to drive EV's as they DO NOT want to deal with maintenance and taking car of their appliance auto's.

American auto's have not been perfect and have built some crap models, yet even the crap models can go long distance when owners follow the maintenance schedule. THIS is where the Sheep fail as their own laziness about oil changes, lubing points, brakes, etc. ended up giving them a broken down auto.

If you look at the Asian auto's who went in the 80's to 100,000 mile tune ups and 7,500 mile oil changes compared to American auto companies  who stuck with 30K tune ups and 3K oil changes and the sheep choose to NOT do the required maintenance, yes those autos failed.

Yes American Auto companies Executives screwed the public for profits, but then you find this in every company even Asian or German.

End result is YOU and YOU alone the OWNER of the auto are responsible for reading the owners guide, following the defined maintenance schedule and paying for those things.

This is the BITCH I have had all along on people who BITCH about American auto's and talk about their appliance Asian auto going 100,000 miles and have never cracked the owners guide. Asian Auto's build for a sheep society.

As one who went to College and graduated from Kobe University, Kobe Japan, I can attest first hand to this Sheep mentality. This build it to have less maintenance took the American auto industry almost 20 years to get caught up to the Asian auto's.

You have a choice in this world, be a sheep and follow the crowd or take care of your stuff, look at what is required to take care of it and blaze your own path.

Choice is all YOURS!

• Downvote 1

@David  I am so sorry but you are so full of it.

The maintenance is about the same on Asian and American cars.  People either do the maintenance properly on WHATEVER autos they have or they don't.  And people I personally know that stay away from American autos because they had serious issues that have NOTHING to do to maintenance.  So cut the bullsh@t.

In the same way I can call people "sheep" that buy only GM or only Ford  "because ...".

Few times when I shopped for an auto for myself  or my relatives that had open requirements, I test drove as many autos as I could.  Guess what, Chevy or Ford simply were inferior to everything else I test drove.

17 minutes ago, ykX said:

@David  I am so sorry but you are so full of it.

Choice that is what you have and I have one Requirement that you probably never have to deal with as the US average woman height is 5'6" and average man is 5'8" currently.

As everyone knows, I am 6'6", my oldest sister is 6'2" average height across both sides of the family is 6'.

As such setting the front drivers seat for my comfort and then getting out and getting in behind set drivers seat. If I cannot fit, then pretty much the whole family will not. As such, all auto's have to pass the seat test and here the Asian auto's FAIL.

You can say cut the Bullshit, but the fact is most people are lazy about taking care of their auto's. I will not waste my time as most people that are big into the auto scene know that most auto buyers ignore cracking their owner manual or even looking at the owners maintenance schedule. Asian auto's did move to 100,000 mile tune ups way before America did and so pretty much, oil change, tires, brakes was it compared to American auto's that required much more to be done.

Like I said nothing is perfect, but I have never scene people have bad experiences when they take care of a product to OEM requirements. That is where most humans fail at.

Agree to disagree, but that is the difference I see every time I hear about people bitching about one brand or another.

Jaguar Land Rover hasn't been doing very well for the past few years. Numerous issues such as poor sales in China, demand for diesel powered vehicles dropping, and the pandemic have put the automaker in a difficult place. This morning in the United Kingdom, Jaguar Land Rover CEO Thierry Bolloré announced plans to make Jaguar an electric only brand by 2025; Land Rover to launch six electric models; and to become a net-zero-carbon business by 2039.
      "We are harnessing those ingredients today to reimagine the business, the two brands and the customer experience of tomorrow. The Reimagine strategy allows us to enhance and celebrate that uniqueness like never before. Together, we can design an even more sustainable and positive impact on the world around us," Bolloré said in a statement.
      Jaguar

Out of the two brands, Jaguar is hurting the most. Sales have dropped like a rock due to people stepping away from sedans and diesel powertrains. Bolloré's plan has the brand moving to an all-electric lineup by 2025. Not many details were released or talked about during the press conference this morning. What we do know is,
      Future models will utilize a new modular electric platform, known as the Electric Modular Architecture (EMA). The planned XJ replacement, rumored to go electric has been canceled. Likely reason for the cancelation is the platform that was going to be used for this model likely didn't scale to other models. Jaguar did say the XJ name could appear again on a future model. Automotive News (Subscription Required) reports that Jaguar will also move away from SUV-styled vehicles, likely meaning the end of the E and F-Pace. Land Rover

Land Rover isn't going to dive in quickly as Jaguar into EVs. The plan is to continue offering a mix of powertrains, but with a heavy focus on electrification. Six all-electric models are planned to be launched by 2030, with the first model coming out in 2024. No word on what that model would be, but our guess is possibly a Range Rover EV. Land Rover will use Electric Modular Architecture for EVs, alongside the Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA) for hybrids. The goal is to have 60 percent of Land Rover sales be for electrics by 2030.
      Other Details
      Jaguar Land Rover said that it would keep all three of its U.K. plans open, but the Castle Bromwich plant(home to Jaguar XE, XF, and F-Type production) has a unclear future.
      “First we will continue production of our existing nameplates built there to the end of their lifecycle. Then we will explore opportunities to refurbish the plant, which could benefit from the consolidation of businesses scattered across the Midlands,” said Bolloré.
      Jaguar Land Rover is also planning on moving their executive team and other major management positions to a centralized location in Gaydon, and work more closely with their parent company, Tata Group.
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover
      Jaguar Land Rover reimagines the future of modern luxury by design
      New global strategy – Reimagine – announced for the British company under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer, Thierry Bolloré A sustainability-rich reimagination of modern luxury, unique customer experiences, and positive societal impact Start of journey to become a net zero carbon business by 2039 Reimagination of Jaguar as an all-electric luxury brand from 2025 to ‘realise its unique potential’ In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs All Jaguar and Land Rover nameplates to be available in pure electric form by end of the decade; first all-electric Land Rover model in 2024 Clean-hydrogen fuel-cell power being developed in preparation for future demand Streamlined structure to deliver greater agility and promote an efficiency of focus Global manufacturing and assembly footprint to be retained, rightsized, repurposed and reorganised Collaborations and knowledge-sharing with industry leaders, in particular from within the wider Tata Group will allow the company to explore potential synergies on clean energy, connected services, data and software development leadership On a path towards double-digit EBIT margin and positive cash flow, with an ambition to achieve positive cash net-of-debt by 2025 with a value creation approach delivering quality and profit-over-volume Gaydon, UK - Monday 15th February 2021:
      A vision of modern luxury by design
      Jaguar Land Rover will reimagine the future of modern luxury by design through its two distinct, British brands.
      Set against a canvas of true sustainability, Jaguar Land Rover will become a more agile creator of the world’s most desirable luxury vehicles and services for the most discerning of customers. A strategy that is designed to create a new benchmark in environmental, societal and community impact for a luxury business.
      “Jaguar Land Rover is unique in the global automotive industry. Designers of peerless models, an unrivalled understanding of the future luxury needs of its customers, emotionally rich brand equity, a spirit of Britishness and unrivalled access to leading global players in technology and sustainability within the wider Tata Group.
      “We are harnessing those ingredients today to reimagine the business, the two brands and the customer experience of tomorrow. The Reimagine strategy allows us to enhance and celebrate that uniqueness like never before. Together, we can design an even more sustainable and positive impact on the world around us,” said Mr Bolloré.
      Two distinct modern luxury brands with sustainability at the centre
      At the heart of its Reimagine plan will be the electrification of both Land Rover and Jaguar brands on separate architectures with two clear, unique personalities.
      In a Land Rover, vehicle and driver are united by adventure. By breaking new ground, confronting new challenges and not being content with the expected, Land Rover truly helps people to go ‘Above and Beyond’. In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs through its three families of Range Rover, Discovery and Defender. The first all-electric variant will arrive in 2024.
      By the middle of the decade, Jaguar will have undergone a renaissance to emerge as a pure electric luxury brand with a dramatically beautiful new portfolio of emotionally engaging designs and pioneering next-generation technologies. Jaguar will exist to make life extraordinary by creating dramatically beautiful automotive experiences that leave its customers feeling unique and rewarded. Although the nameplate may be retained, the planned Jaguar XJ replacement will not form part of the line-up, as the brand looks to realise its unique potential.
      Jaguar and Land Rover will offer pure electric power, nameplate by nameplate, by 2030. By this time, in addition to 100% of Jaguar sales, it is anticipated that around 60% of Land Rovers sold will be equipped with zero tailpipe powertrains.
      Jaguar Land Rover’s aim is to achieve net zero carbon emissions across its supply chain, products and operations by 2039. As part of this ambition, the company is also preparing for the expected adoption of clean fuel-cell power in line with a maturing of the hydrogen economy. Development is already underway with prototypes arriving on UK roads within the next 12 months as part of the long-term investment programme.
      Sustainability that delivers a new benchmark in environmental and societal impact for the luxury sector is fundamental to the success of Reimagine. A new centralised team will be empowered to build on and accelerate pioneering innovations in materiality, engineering, manufacturing, services and circular economy investments.
      Annual commitments of circa £2.5bn will include investments in electrification technologies and the development of connected services to enhance the journey and experiences of customers, alongside data-centric technologies that will further improve their ownership ecosystem.
      Proven services like the flexible PIVOTAL subscription model (which has grown 750% during the fiscal year), born out of Jaguar Land Rover’s incubator and investor arm, InMotion, will now be rolled out to other markets following a successful launch in the UK.
      Quality and efficiency
      Reimagine will see Jaguar Land Rover establish new benchmark standards in quality and efficiency for the luxury sector by rightsizing, repurposing and reorganising.
      Central to that journey, and in order to establish different personalities for the two brands, is the new architecture strategy.
      Land Rover will use the forthcoming flex Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA). It will deliver electrified internal combustion engines (ICE) and full electric variants as the company evolves its product line-up in the future. In addition, Land Rover will also use pure electric biased Electric Modular Architecture (EMA) which will also support advanced electrified ICE.
      Future Jaguar models will be built exclusively on a pure electric architecture.
      Reimagine is designed to deliver simplification too. By consolidating the number of platforms and models being produced per plant, the company will be able to establish new benchmark standards in efficient scale and quality for the luxury sector. Such an approach will help rationalise sourcing and accelerate investments in local circular economy supply chains.
      From a core manufacturing perspective that means Jaguar Land Rover will retain its plant and assembly facilities in the home UK market and around the world. As well as being the manufacturer of the MLA architecture, Solihull, West Midlands will also be the home to the future advanced Jaguar pure electric platform.
      Key partners including Trade Unions, retailers and those in the supply chain will continue to play a vital part of the extended new Jaguar Land Rover ecosystem and its journey towards reimagining the future of modern luxury.
      ReFocus to a more agile operation
      As evidenced with the latest financial results, Jaguar Land Rover has a strong foundation on which to build a sustainable and resilient business for its customers and their communities, partners, employees, shareholders and the environment.
      Driving this transformation is the recently launched Refocus programme, by consolidating existing initiatives like Charge+ with new cross-functional activities.
      Reimagine will see Jaguar Land Rover right-size, repurpose and reorganise into a more agile operation. The creation of a flatter structure is designed to empower employees to create and deliver at speed and with clear purpose.
      To accelerate this efficiency of focus, the company will substantially reduce and rationalise its non-manufacturing infrastructure in the UK. Gaydon will become the symbol of this effort – the ‘reactor’ of the business - with the Executive Team and other management functions moving into the one location to aid frictionless cooperation and agile decision-making.
      Leapfrog to leadership with Tata Group
      In order to realise its vision of modern luxury mobility with confidence, the company will curate closer collaboration and knowledge-sharing with Tata Group companies to enhance sustainability and reduce emissions as well as sharing best practice in next-generation technology, data and software development leadership. Jaguar Land Rover has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, in which Tata Sons is the largest shareholder, since 2008.
      “We have so many ingredients from within. It is a unique opportunity,” said Mr Bolloré. “Others have to rely solely on external partnerships and compromise, but we have frictionless access that will allow us to lean forward with confidence and at speed.”
      Bringing all these ingredients together, Jaguar Land Rover is on a path towards double-digit EBIT margins and positive cash flow, with an ambition to achieve positive cash net-of-debt by 2025.
      Ultimately, Jaguar Land Rover aims to be one of the most profitable luxury manufacturers in the world.
      Mr N Chandrasekaran, Chairman of Tata Sons, Tata Motors and Jaguar Land Rover Automotive plc commented: “The Reimagine strategy takes Jaguar Land Rover on a significant path of acceleration in harmony with the vision and sustainability priorities of the wider Tata Group. Together, we will help Jaguar realise its potential, reinforce Land Rover’s timeless appeal and collectively become a symbol of a truly responsible business for its customers, society and the planet.”
      Mr Bolloré concluded: “As a human-centred company, we can, and will, move much faster and with clear purpose of not just reimagining modern luxury but defining it for two distinct brands. Brands that present emotionally unique designs, pieces of art if you like, but all with connected technologies and responsible materials that collectively set new standards in ownership. We are reimagining a new modern luxury by design.”

Jaguar

Other Details
      Source: Jaguar Land Rover
      Jaguar Land Rover reimagines the future of modern luxury by design
      A vision of modern luxury by design
      Two distinct modern luxury brands with sustainability at the centre
      Quality and efficiency
      Future Jaguar models will be built exclusively on a pure electric architecture.
      ReFocus to a more agile operation
      Leapfrog to leadership with Tata Group
      Yesterday, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Groupe PSA officially merged to become Stellantis, the fourth-largest automaker in the world. But this merge has produced some consequences that need to be addressed. One of those being Peugeot's re-entry back in to the U.S.
      “We were last speaking about [Peugeot’s U.S. re-entry] a year and a half ago, before Stellantis. We can’t not take into account that in the coming days Peugeot will be part of this new world. I imagine in the coming months due to the new strategy we will have to adapt and reconsider all elements, including this one,” said Peugeot CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato to Automotive News.
      A key reason for this reconsideration not wanting overlap brands in the U.S.
      This is a polar opposite to comments made last year by Larry Dominique, CEO of PSA North America.
      Imparto's focus for Peugeot in the near future is concentrating on its core markets - Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America. There are also plans to get the brand back on track in China. As for the U.S., Imparto said it was "still on the table" down the road.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

A key reason for this reconsideration not wanting overlap brands in the U.S.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      The COVID-19 pandemic has basically brought most of the world to halt. Orders to stay at home, businesses either having workers to their work from home or closing down, and unemployment skyrocketing is causing the economy to crater. There are efforts to try and jump-start the economy such as $1,200 stimulus checks. But an executive at Ford wants to see a return of a "cash for clunkers" like program.
      “We think some level of stimulus somewhere on the other side of this would help not only the auto industry and our dealers, which are a huge part of our overall economy, but will help the customers as well,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford’s vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service to Bloomberg.
      “Cash for clunkers was very effective at that time. It would be nice to think we could have something equally as effective for 2020 when we get out of this because it was a great program.”
      According to LaNeve, internal discussions are taking place at Ford about doing a similar program and there are plans to bring the Government in to these talks.
      When asked by Automotive News about this, Ford spokeswoman Rachel McCleery said, "The auto industry is America’s economic engine.We are encouraging Congress to look at a variety of ways to drive job creation, increase demand, support customers and provide long-term stability for the entire auto ecosystem."
      A brief refresher on the Cash for Clunkers program. In 2009, the U.S. Government introduced a billion initiative called the Car Allowance Rebate System, which gave a voucher worth between $2,900 and $4,500 to anyone replacing a vehicle newer than 1984. Their old vehicle would be taken away and disposed of. The program was nicknamed Cash for Clunkers.
      On the surface, the program was a success. Within first month, all of the funds were exhausted. This prompted the U.S. congress infuse an addition two billion into the program, which would be all gone within 17 days. But begin to look deeper and the results are mixed. In 2012, a study published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics described the program as being a bit of a wash,
      "...the effect of the program on auto purchases is almost completely reversed by as early as March 2010 — only seven months after the program ended.”
      Other studies have come to the same conclusion.
      There's also the question of how many perfectly good used cars were taken off the road due to the program.
      Source: Bloomberg via Automotive News (Subscription Required), The Drive, The Truth About Cars

• Met mom and her DTS as she drove part way to our place for the weekend.  Her first long trip with the 11 DTS she got last summer.  I drove it.  Firmer ride than the 2002 or 3 which was it, she finally sold recently. Took an opportunity to get some pics of hers and my TourX together.  She says hers is fast because it has 8 cylinders.  I keep telling her, "mine is faster" because it is, despite less than half the displacement...mine has tUrBo🤣 the evening sunlight was hitting the cars just right.
    • So there is a Franchise to sell commercial Sprinter Vans.  Per your 6 year old document, I have to assume there must be a newer one, but then only the commercial Sprinter van is called out, not the lowly passenger vans MB sells. Reviewing the web site, I see they moved the Metris passenger van under the commercial franchise. So selling is under the franchise.  Service is still possible at all the dealers as this 2015 document you pointed to, thank you, does not say that a dealer cannot work on the vans without a franchise agreement, only sell.
    • It's not like it's some sort of 'special privilege' or anything to sell work vans. All a 'franchise' is, is a legal agreement between a dealer & the OEM. Sometimes the OEM offers one to a dealer, sometimes a dealer requests the new brand. It's not a big deal. And with the vast majority of dealers selling mercedes passenger vehicles also selling mercedes-branded work vans, that much is obvious.
    • Lincoln sales volume in China: https://carsalesbase.com/china-lincoln/ And Audi sales in China: https://carsalesbase.com/china-audi/ That is Audi outselling Lincoln by over 16 to 1 in China last year, and Audi is on pace for 750,000 sales this year.  "World Class" doesn't get outsold 16 to 1 in the largest car market in the world and not even participate in the EU.
    • They have to have a franchise agreement to sell vans, just as there were franchise agreements for Sprinter, Smart and Maybach.   https://static1.squarespace.com/static/50749503e4b0fa0ffd4b65f5/t/56142bd2e4b0e26258e39c6c/1444162514216/BrandStandards_08.20.15.pdf Notice there are Passenger Car AND Light Truck Franchise AgreementS.  Obviously 289 dealers got both franchises, some did not.  Just like some Mercedes dealers has Smart franchises while others did not.  In fact in Pittsburgh  Bobby Rahal owns 2 Mercedes dealers, only 1 of them had the Smart brand.

1. k9_dude
      k9_dude
    2. noah vamosy
      noah vamosy
    3. pontiaccrest
      pontiaccrest

There are no registered users currently online