Toyota is "Taking a Hard Look" At Their U.S. Lineup, May Cut Some Models

But don't expect a dramatic cut in their passenger lineup

Toyota isn't immune to the falling sales of passenger vehicles as more buyers trend towards trucks and SUVs. In the first ten months of this year, cars are down 11.1 percent. Meanwhile, trucks are up 7.7 percent. This has the Japanese automaker considering dropping some models.

"We are taking a hard look at all of the segments that we compete in to make sure we are competing in profitable segments and that products we sell have strategic value," said Jim Lentz, Toyota's North America CEO after the automaker reported an increase in quarterly profits.

Unlike Ford which is revamping its lineup to changing consumer tastes, Toyota isn't planning to "abandon passenger cars," instead "scrutinizing offerings in some areas, such as convertibles or coupes." No mention was made of the models on the chopping block, but we have a possible few candidates.

• Yaris: Sales have dropped 38 percent this year
    • Prius C : Not big a seller and hasn't really been updated aside from the 2018 model Pruis C we reviewed last month.
    • Lexus RC: Sales down 52 percent so far in 2018
    • Lexus GS: Been long rumored to be heading to the gallows
    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Lexus GS can die off, the German sedans crush it, and Lexus has the ES which is a midsized car for less money than a GS and their buyers are fine with it.  RC is a coupe of an existing model, so I don't know if that is so much it's own model, they could call it IS coupe if they wanted.

The Avalon they can do without because the top trim Camry is about as nice as an Avalon, and if you want a car a little bit nicer than a Camry they have the Lexus ES which shares a platform and drivetrain with the Avalon.

They need something below the Corolla I think, and if the Yaris is built by Mazda or shared however they do it, that may not really be costing Toyota much.

They could do the USDM a huge favor, and pull out entirely. ;)

Toyota should, but unfortunately they will not leave anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

No reason to leave.  The US is one of their biggest markets and they have many employees here.

I didn't say it would be doing THEM a favor... ;)

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

They could do the USDM a huge favor, and pull out entirely. ;)

I would rather loose Ford than Toyota.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Turning a profit and have a decent reputation...no reason for them to leave.

• Confused 1

I think Toyota could cut half their car models and still do very well here.

Today, at the tail end of dusk when it is almost solid black, I saw so many toyota cars, cuvs and trucks with no lights on. I honestly do not understand how someone can drive with no lights on when it is almost pitch black. Toyota drivers are the 2nd worst right behind BMW drivers. MB drivers are a solid 3rd.

I think Toyota has 5 of the top 10 highest domestic parts content cars.  Camry, Highlander, Tundra and Sienna for sure are up there.

Red herring for me: still is and always will be a Japanese company. *Big picture*

Edited by balthazar

On 11/8/2018 at 11:16 PM, dfelt said:

It's the same around here.   They're driving around with only the DRLs providing minimal forward lighting, and from the sides and rear, only the required reflectors provide any visual indication of their presence.  Some manufacturers activate *only* the instrument panel lighting when it's dark, tricking many drivers into thinking their external lights are on.  This is an extremely poor design decision, but I haven't come across any legal action yet.

Saw a few year old Acura SUV driving on a tree-lined residential street last week, completely dark front & rear at 9PM. Even if the dash lights come on, all these cars have automatic lights, don't they? I'm continually turning my headlights off (NOT the DRLs) when they come on during the day, just because I'm not in direct sunlight or the like. They go on TOO often, and my truck is 15 years old.

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Automatic lights are a setting, though.  My Jeep has automatic lights, but if I have the light switch in the off position then they work like old school lights and you have to turn them on and off.   (automatic is a separate position from off).

Edited by Robert Hall

Well, not on everything. My lights are either on 'automatic' or 'parking lights' or 'headlights'. IOW; if they weren't on auto, they'd just stay on & bing at me frantically when the door opens.
    With all the nanny-device lovers out there, I'm surprised anyone would willingly ever turn their lights to 'off'.

Edited by balthazar

Interesting..odd to hear of automatic without normal off also.  I think my sister's STS and Trax have automatic w/ regular off also. My old Jeep had automatic and off settings also, I quit using the automatic setting after they started coming on randomly when parked.    I've been using the automatic setting on my newer Jeep, and have the DRLs enabled as well.  Get enough cloudy weather I like having them on.

Edited by Robert Hall

GM who I believe invented and clearly one of the first to use day time running lights has made it standard that you have an off, but the switch moves back to marker. So if you wanted, you can switch the headlights to off but not the marker lights and then turn it one more place to auto.

I agree with @balthazar I see no reason for anyone to take them out of auto mode.

I suspect as I have learned this weekend that many english as a second language drivers here do not understand that the lights auto turn off after a set time.

Driving is a privilege earned and so many around me think it is a right and folks that cannot speak English get a license and a car and never read the owners manual as they do not understand how to read and as such they get in a habit of turning everything off even auto lights.

Helped my wife with some Koreans who were shocked to learn you do leave the light switch in the auto mode on. She translated and they were happy to finally understand. After this, I now feel strongly that all those dark auto's truly are people that are ignorant of how the lights work.

Speaking of 'off' settings on switches, one thing annoying w/ my Jeep is the radio has no on/off button.  You can turn the volume all the way down to effectively mute it, but there is no off.

My radio off button is now inoperative, so I have the same parameters in play. At least it stopped working with the radio on.

My truck is really getting elderly. A lot of little things are on the fritz.

My truck is really getting elderly. A lot of little things are on the fritz.

How many miles you have now?   My old Jeep started really feeling it's age above 150k miles.   The power windows and locks would randomly work, the airbag light would come on when I turned left,  power mirrors quit..

186K. Powertrain/running gear is like a rock, I never doubt it. Body is still excellent. But a bunch of little bits in the last year or so are giving up. only 1 speaker left, driver power mirror doesn't work (tho obviously I can adjust from seat), fan only currently working on 5 (hope is lasts thru winter), dome light stopped working when door opens (but still does manually), parking brake cable snapped (its on my list to attend to, about 2 yrs without by now). ABS light is also on, but I think it's just unplugged at one wheel.
    It's been a great truck- I got it with 46K on it and it's really overbuilt, but hope to replace it within the next 12 months.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Good luck with your next choice.

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Good luck with your next choice.

Me think he will get a newer CPO Chevrolet. :P

• By Drew Dowdell
      Toyota announced today that the Toyota Avalon and Camry would be getting an all-wheel drive option. It's the first time the Camry has offered all-wheel drive since 1991 and the first ever for Avalon.  AWD will be available as a standalone option on Camry LE, XLE, SE, and XSE trims and on the Avalon XLE and Limited trims.
      In both models, the car is powered by a 202 horsepower 2.5-liter 4-cylinder and an 8-speed automatic. Camry XSE AWD and both Avalon AWD trims get 205hp with their dual exhaust.
      The AWD system is borrowed from the Toyota RAV-4 and is called Dynamic Torque Control AWD. It is designed to help with traction in slippery weather but not drag down fuel economy when the weather is clear. The AWD system can direct up to 50 percent of the torque to the rear wheels.  When AWD isn't needed, the system can disengage the drive shaft from the differential to lessen the drag on fuel efficiency.
      Neither of these cars was originally planned to have AWD, but given the flexibility of the TNGA architecture they and the RAV4 all ride on, Toyota's R&D department in Saline Michigan was able to modify the cars for this new option.  The body of the Camry and Avalon was combined with the drivetrain of the RAV-4. Floor structure modifications were required, plus the use of an electronic parking brake.  The gas tank was modified, and despite of the addition of a rear differential, the trunk floor height remains the same.  The addition of AWD adds 165lbs to the Camry while the Avalon's weight remains the about the same as the FWD V6 model.
      Camry AWD will be arriving for model year 2020, while Avalon AWD arrives in 2021.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The current generation Toyota Mirai has never been a "looker". It seemed like some sort of Prius with a glandular problem.  Toyota hopes to change that and make the fuel cell vehicle sexy with the new 2021 Toyota Mirai Sedan Concept.
      The new concept sits on a rear-wheel drive platform and sports an new, more powerful fuel cell powertrain.  Toyota claims a 30-percent increase in driving range with increased hydrogen capacity.
      Most importantly thought, Toyota un-weirded the Mirai so that it now looks like something that might sit in a Lexus showroom rather than Toyota.
      The next generation Toyota Mirai will go on sale in late 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The next generation Toyota Mirai will go on sale in late 2020.

• It still sucks, but I think you will come out much better in the next place you decide to go. Market for the most part is still solid, so I know you will find a new place quick, if not before the other place ends! I was bummed when I got laid off from my automotive job- but besides missing the cars, I find this one more fun. Reminds me to update my resume-though I kinda shy from it. I updated my Monster account, and the calls just won’t stop..... 😮
    • The Jalopnik link makes a mistake in expressing an opinion that GM/Chevy had Tesla in their sites. Had Tesla products as a benchmark... The only thing I gather Chevy/GM had on benchmarking Telsa was the price point in which the Bolt was to be sold at as compared to the Model 3.  From the EV1, all the way to Volt gen 1 and 2, the Cadillac ELR, and then the  Bolt to the mild hybrid stuff on Malibus and Tahoes,  nothing suggests that GM ever wanted to do performance oriented EVs.  And GM could do a performance oriented EV if they chose to do so.  They took a different market approach.  Tesla has found that sweet spot. It does not mean that GM's approach is wrong vis-a-vis Tesla's approach. It just means that GM's approach and its choice of its product's packaging may be at fault... The Cadillac ELR was a 2 door personal luxury coupe econobox with an econobox derived Chevrolet version of its EV. And it also used the Chevrolet Volt's 1st generation tech instead of the 2nd generation tech, in an era when small, 2 door coupes dont sell. In an era when SUVs sell like mad. In an era when Tesla and Fisker were selling sexy body styled sedans and the Tesla was and still is eons ahead in  marketing, styling and dare I say in EV technology in some key tech areas... The Bolt does not fail as an EV product. It fails on its intended mission as an EV product. Not in terms of it not being a capable EV, but it failing of it not being capable of delivering the marketing message that its supposedly sold upon. Packaging. And also, GM does not put full faith in that marketing message either...and so the marketing is also downplayed... The Mustang Mach-E will only eat its lunch if EV buyers buy into a  1. Mustang EV 2. A Ford EV capable of being a good Tesla product equal I think point 1 wont be a problem. But point 2 might very well be. Some EV people have a strong bias against ICE makers and will NEVER take Ford, GM, VW, Nissan, etc, seriously and the Mach-E, as good as it seems on paper, does not have a chance and is DOA...
    • LOL Listen.  American cars is what I love. From the 1900s to today.  But I'd like to try and learn about  cars from different countries and from their different eras too.   Car craziness and car culture is strong in America, but it aint strictly an American thing. The automobile has defined America and its culture and we revolve our modern lives around it more than any other culture, but there is a car culture elsewhere other than North America. And if it wasnt for 2 devastating world wars in Europe where the automobile was starting to get a grip on life here as well as in Europe, the automobile in Europe would have had the same influence as in America.  But like everything else in nature, the environment influences the surroundings and the same entity evolves differently and at a different pace as the next.  I love to learn about different car cultures around the globe and how the car has influenced that society and how it evolved differently from ours. And from all that,  I learned that car enthusiasts around the world are the same, but have a different take on the performance car than what we have. And from an enthusiast point of view, for which I am, I enjoy enthusiast cars.  And I want to appreciate that.  I have learned that I actually do enjoy European racing cars of the 1920s and 1930s.  Or the rivalry that Ferruccio had with Enzo that produced those slick Italian cars of the 1960s and 1970s from both companies.  I enjoy the French quirkiness and I enjoy an Alpina race to which Renault paid a tribute to just a couple of years ago, kinda like what Ford did with the Ford GT in 2005.  I actually like that Renault/Alpina. Its a cool little sports car.  The Japanese car culture thing is whack. Most of it just seems weird to me. But I definitely like the American influence on their sports cars (which also had a slight Euro touch to them too) which in turn begat a pure Japanese sports car scene.  I get the question marks.  I do not like the shyteboxes that Europe has produced. But then again, I dont like the shyteboxes that Detroit has produced over the years also. But, I do prefer Detroit shyte over Europe's though. And I feel like  what Jay Leno has over other car "influencers" is that he has a certain bias towards cars that I find interesting and I gravitate towards his influence over others.
    • ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    • Papa Smurf Mobile!