Toyota is "Taking a Hard Look" At Their U.S. Lineup, May Cut Some Models

But don't expect a dramatic cut in their passenger lineup

Toyota isn't immune to the falling sales of passenger vehicles as more buyers trend towards trucks and SUVs. In the first ten months of this year, cars are down 11.1 percent. Meanwhile, trucks are up 7.7 percent. This has the Japanese automaker considering dropping some models.

"We are taking a hard look at all of the segments that we compete in to make sure we are competing in profitable segments and that products we sell have strategic value," said Jim Lentz, Toyota's North America CEO after the automaker reported an increase in quarterly profits.

Unlike Ford which is revamping its lineup to changing consumer tastes, Toyota isn't planning to "abandon passenger cars," instead "scrutinizing offerings in some areas, such as convertibles or coupes." No mention was made of the models on the chopping block, but we have a possible few candidates.

• Yaris: Sales have dropped 38 percent this year
    • Prius C : Not big a seller and hasn't really been updated aside from the 2018 model Pruis C we reviewed last month.
    • Lexus RC: Sales down 52 percent so far in 2018
    • Lexus GS: Been long rumored to be heading to the gallows
    Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Lexus GS can die off, the German sedans crush it, and Lexus has the ES which is a midsized car for less money than a GS and their buyers are fine with it.  RC is a coupe of an existing model, so I don't know if that is so much it's own model, they could call it IS coupe if they wanted.

The Avalon they can do without because the top trim Camry is about as nice as an Avalon, and if you want a car a little bit nicer than a Camry they have the Lexus ES which shares a platform and drivetrain with the Avalon.

They need something below the Corolla I think, and if the Yaris is built by Mazda or shared however they do it, that may not really be costing Toyota much.

They could do the USDM a huge favor, and pull out entirely. ;)

Toyota should, but unfortunately they will not leave anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

No reason to leave.  The US is one of their biggest markets and they have many employees here.

I didn't say it would be doing THEM a favor... ;)

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

They could do the USDM a huge favor, and pull out entirely. ;)

I would rather loose Ford than Toyota.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Turning a profit and have a decent reputation...no reason for them to leave.

• Confused 1

I think Toyota could cut half their car models and still do very well here.

Today, at the tail end of dusk when it is almost solid black, I saw so many toyota cars, cuvs and trucks with no lights on. I honestly do not understand how someone can drive with no lights on when it is almost pitch black. Toyota drivers are the 2nd worst right behind BMW drivers. MB drivers are a solid 3rd.

I think Toyota has 5 of the top 10 highest domestic parts content cars.  Camry, Highlander, Tundra and Sienna for sure are up there.

Red herring for me: still is and always will be a Japanese company. *Big picture*

Edited by balthazar

On 11/8/2018 at 11:16 PM, dfelt said:

It's the same around here.   They're driving around with only the DRLs providing minimal forward lighting, and from the sides and rear, only the required reflectors provide any visual indication of their presence.  Some manufacturers activate *only* the instrument panel lighting when it's dark, tricking many drivers into thinking their external lights are on.  This is an extremely poor design decision, but I haven't come across any legal action yet.

Saw a few year old Acura SUV driving on a tree-lined residential street last week, completely dark front & rear at 9PM. Even if the dash lights come on, all these cars have automatic lights, don't they? I'm continually turning my headlights off (NOT the DRLs) when they come on during the day, just because I'm not in direct sunlight or the like. They go on TOO often, and my truck is 15 years old.

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Automatic lights are a setting, though.  My Jeep has automatic lights, but if I have the light switch in the off position then they work like old school lights and you have to turn them on and off.   (automatic is a separate position from off).

Edited by Robert Hall

Well, not on everything. My lights are either on 'automatic' or 'parking lights' or 'headlights'. IOW; if they weren't on auto, they'd just stay on & bing at me frantically when the door opens.
    With all the nanny-device lovers out there, I'm surprised anyone would willingly ever turn their lights to 'off'.

Edited by balthazar

Interesting..odd to hear of automatic without normal off also.  I think my sister's STS and Trax have automatic w/ regular off also. My old Jeep had automatic and off settings also, I quit using the automatic setting after they started coming on randomly when parked.    I've been using the automatic setting on my newer Jeep, and have the DRLs enabled as well.  Get enough cloudy weather I like having them on.

Edited by Robert Hall

GM who I believe invented and clearly one of the first to use day time running lights has made it standard that you have an off, but the switch moves back to marker. So if you wanted, you can switch the headlights to off but not the marker lights and then turn it one more place to auto.

I agree with @balthazar I see no reason for anyone to take them out of auto mode.

I suspect as I have learned this weekend that many english as a second language drivers here do not understand that the lights auto turn off after a set time.

Driving is a privilege earned and so many around me think it is a right and folks that cannot speak English get a license and a car and never read the owners manual as they do not understand how to read and as such they get in a habit of turning everything off even auto lights.

Helped my wife with some Koreans who were shocked to learn you do leave the light switch in the auto mode on. She translated and they were happy to finally understand. After this, I now feel strongly that all those dark auto's truly are people that are ignorant of how the lights work.

Speaking of 'off' settings on switches, one thing annoying w/ my Jeep is the radio has no on/off button.  You can turn the volume all the way down to effectively mute it, but there is no off.

My radio off button is now inoperative, so I have the same parameters in play. At least it stopped working with the radio on.

My truck is really getting elderly. A lot of little things are on the fritz.

My truck is really getting elderly. A lot of little things are on the fritz.

How many miles you have now?   My old Jeep started really feeling it's age above 150k miles.   The power windows and locks would randomly work, the airbag light would come on when I turned left,  power mirrors quit..

186K. Powertrain/running gear is like a rock, I never doubt it. Body is still excellent. But a bunch of little bits in the last year or so are giving up. only 1 speaker left, driver power mirror doesn't work (tho obviously I can adjust from seat), fan only currently working on 5 (hope is lasts thru winter), dome light stopped working when door opens (but still does manually), parking brake cable snapped (its on my list to attend to, about 2 yrs without by now). ABS light is also on, but I think it's just unplugged at one wheel.
    It's been a great truck- I got it with 46K on it and it's really overbuilt, but hope to replace it within the next 12 months.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

Good luck with your next choice.

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Good luck with your next choice.

Me think he will get a newer CPO Chevrolet. :P

The Toyota Tundra holds the title of being the oldest full-size truck, coming in at thirteen years without any sort of redesign. On one hand, this makes the Tundra a very reliable and dependable truck. On the other hand, the Tundra isn’t able to fully compete with the likes GM, Ram, or Ford with their more modern designs and hardware. But there is one exception to this where the Tundra can be a good alternative to the Detroit Three, and it comes in the form of the TRD Pro.
      Color can do a lot to a vehicle such as making an older model look modern or highlighting some of the polarizing elements of a design. This Army Green paint, which is new on all TRD Pros for 2020 makes the Tundra look younger and a bit more aggressive.  Inside, you can tell that the Tundra is getting up there in age. The design hasn’t changed much and material quality cannot even compare to the likes of GM and Ram’s trucks. But I like the large buttons and knobs for various controls. Not only does it make it easier to find, but it means you can have a set of gloves on and easily control various aspects. One key improvement for 2020 is Apple CarPlay and Android Auto being added to the Tundra’s Entune system, which gives drivers another choice in their infotainment choices. The Crewmax model seen here is huge. Step into the back seat and you might think you entered a limo with an endless amount of head and legroom on offer. I do wish the seats had a little bit more padding. Only one engine is available on the 2020 Tundra; a 5.7L V8 with 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. This is teamed with a six-speed automatic and four-wheel drive. This engine provides plenty of thrust and provides an engine burble that you might expect from one of the Detroit three’s V8 trucks. The automatic is very smooth when changing gear and seems to where it needs to be in any situation. The downside to this V8 is fuel economy. The EPA says TRD Pro CrewMax will return 13 City/17 Highway/14 Combined. I saw an average of 14.2 mpg during my week of a 60/40 mix of highway and city driving. Maybe a couple more gears for the automatic could improve this. Toyota has kitted the Tundra TRD Pro with some serious off-road chops; Fox internal bypass dampers for all four corners, TRD springs that increase wheel travel, and a set of Michelin LTX off-road tires. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to try it off-road. But other reviewers who have taken it off the beaten path report the TRD Pro is very capable.  What I can report is the changes to the suspension makes for a surprisingly comfortable ride. This suspension does mean you will experience a fair amount of body roll when cornering, but that is to be expected with a truck like this. My Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax starts at $52,780. With some accessories and destination, the price climbs $55,020. The Tundra is getting long in the tooth as evidenced by the interior and poor fuel economy from the V8 engine. But the TRD Pro helps freshen the Tundra a bit and makes a compelling option for those who plan on spending more time off the beaten path. Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the Tundra, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Tundra
      Trim: TRD Pro CrewMax
      Engine: 5.7L DOHC 32-Valve i-FORCE V8
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, Four-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 381 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 401 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 13/17/14
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: San Antonio, TX
      Base Price: $52,780
      As Tested Price: $55,020 (Includes $1,495.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:

Horsepower @ RPM: 381 @ 5,600
      Torque @ RPM: 401 @ 3,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 13/17/14
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: San Antonio, TX
      Base Price: $52,780
      As Tested Price: $55,020 (Includes $1,495.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Chrome Tube Steps - $535.00
      Stainless Steel Door Edge Guard - $140.00
      Door Sill Protector - $70.00
      The Toyota Yaris and Yaris Hatchback will be no more in the U.S. come the end of June. That's according to a leaked memo posted to Reddit and found by CarBuzz. Sent to "All Southeast Toyota Dealers and General Managers" by Toyota, the memo says the Yaris will "cease production" at the end of June.
      "The Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback will not be available for model year 2021. Model year 2020 will be the last year for Yaris. June 2020 will be the last month of production for the Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback for the US," wrote Christine N. Henley, Toyota North America's Western Communications Manager in the memo.
      Toyota confirmed the memo, and gave Car and Driver this statement;
      "The entry-subcompact segment has new regulations that require additional homologation. Those regulations, coupled with declining sales in the segment, are some of the reasons behind the decision."
      (Author's Note: We're wondering what Toyota means by the statement we bolded here, and we'll update if we get some sort of clarification. -WM).
      The declining sales makes sense as Toyota only moved 21,917 Yaris models in 2019, down 5,293 units when compared to 2018. To give more perspective, the Corolla moved 304,850 units last year.
      So if you're interested an affordable Toyota, we would hurry down to your nearest dealer ASAP.
      Source: CarBuzz, Car and Driver

Toyota confirmed the memo, and gave Car and Driver this statement;
      Source: CarBuzz, Car and Driver
      The landscape of midsize sedans was much different ten to fifteen years ago. All of them offered the choice of a four-cylinder and V6 engine. Today, it is a completely different story as most automakers that still offer a midsize sedan have dropped their V6 engines in favor of turbo-fours. But Toyota is bucking the trend by sticking with the V6 in the Camry. It seemed like a good time to ask whether or not there is a place for a V6 in the midsize class.
      The V6 in question is a 3.5L used in many Toyota and Lexus vehicles. In the Camry, output is rated at 301 horsepower and 267 pound-feet of torque. An eight-speed automatic routes power to the front wheels. This V6 is one of my favorites due to its combination of excellent acceleration off the line and smoothness that turbo-fours can only dream of. One gotcha you need to keep in mind that torque steer will pop up if you decide to mash on the accelerator. The eight-speed automatic is very smooth and quick to upshift but hesitates to downshift when you need more speed. This is likely due to programming in the transmission to improve fuel economy. EPA fuel economy figures for the Camry XLE V6 are 22 City/33 Highway/26 Combined. My average for the week landed around 24 on a 60/40 mix of highway and city driving. The XSE and TRD V6s see a slight dip in fuel economy due to their performance ambitions. While the XLE can’t fully match the athleticism of the XSE I drove last year, it still can hold its own in the bends. The XLE has the added benefit of providing a smoother ride, as most bumps and road imperfections become mere ripples. Disappointingly, there is a fair amount of road and wind noise comes inside when driving on the freeway. A key difference between the XLE and the XSE I drove last year is the front end treatment. There is a larger lower grille and a different top grille design. I find this design to be a bit much and may scare a lot of people away. On the other hand, the new front does give Camry some needed presence on the road - something that couldn’t be said for previous-generation models. The XLE is surprisingly luxurious with quilted luxury upholstery for the seats and stitching on the dash. Although, a Mazda6 Signature is slightly more premium in terms of offering more luxurious trim pieces, whereas the Camry XLE uses a lot of piano black trim.  Comfort is one area that the Camry XLE excels in. The seats are quite cushy and offer plenty of support, no matter the distance of any trip. The back seat offers plenty of head and legroom. The Entune system may not have the sharp and modern graphics as some competitors, but it does have a simple interface and the ability to use either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. The XLE starts at $29,455 for the base four-cylinder, while the V6 will set you back $34,580. With a few options, my test XLE V6 carried an as-tested price of $37,824. That’s slightly more expensive than a Mazda6 Signature which offers a slightly more premium interior and better driving dynamics. But the Camry can counter with the smooth performance of the V6, comfortable ride, and its long-standing reputation for reliability. I came away really impressed with the Camry XLE, but also wondering how much longer Toyota will hold out. Despite all of the positives, the V6 is a very expensive proposition and most buyers will likely be happy with the four-cylinder. If I was to buy one, I would likely go for an XLE minus the options. Disclaimer: Toyota provided the Camry, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Toyota
      Model: Camry
      Trim: XLE V6
      Engine: 3.5L DOHC D-4S Dual-Injection w/Dual VVT-i V6
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Eight-Speed Automatic
      Horsepower @ RPM: 301 @ 6,600
      Torque @ RPM: 267 @ 4,700
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/33/26
      Curb Weight: 3,549 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Georgetown, KY
      Base Price: $34,050
      As Tested Price: $37,824 (Includes $920.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Driver Assist Package - $1,550.00
      Navigation Package - $1,040.00
      Carpet/Trunk Mat Set - $264.00

• Latest News Rumorpile: Kia Soul EV Won't Be Coming To the U.S. A number of factors played into this ---> Read More Average Age of Cars in the U.S. Climbs Again Expect the Age to Climb Higher Due to COVID-19 ---> Read More Genesis Delays Launch of 2021 G80 and GV80 for U.S. Wheres the G80 and GV80? ---> Read More Rumorpile: Ford's Small Truck May Arrive As A 2021MY Vehicle How does the name Maverick sound to you? ---> Read More Nissan Ariya EV Possibly Marks A Comeback Will Be Arriving in the U.S. Late Next Year with a $40,000 Price tag ---> Read More Fiat Chrysler and PSA Group Unveil Their New Merged Name: Stellantis How much did the two spend on consultants to come up with this name? ---> Read More 2021 Ford Bronco Makes A Splash Watch your back, Wrangler ---> Read More Latest Reviews Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax It is old, but still has some tricks. ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport One last drive before going away ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT A mixed bag in plug-in hybrid form ---> Read More Review: 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate AWD The crossover from Planet Nine ---> Read More Review: 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec Acura starts to find itself again ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters
    • That is a good percentage of what makes it cool. I read that the 2.0t was coming back in the Equinox for 2022, the year of the MCE that was supposed to debut as an early 2021, but didn't.
    • Seems daunting.  I would be a little chicken to buy that.

1. Rick TP
      Rick TP

There are no registered users currently online