GM Will Produce Plug-in Hybrid SUV

FOR RELEASE: 2006-11-29

GM Announces Intention to Produce Plug-in Hybrid SUV

Saturn Vue Green Line Will Use Modified 2-mode Hybrid System, Lithium Ion Battery

Posted Image

LOS ANGELES – General Motors Corp. intends to produce a Saturn Vue Green Line plug-in hybrid that has the potential to achieve double the fuel efficiency of any current SUV, the automaker announced at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show.

This hybrid SUV will use a modified version of GM’s 2-mode hybrid system and plug-in technology, a Lithium Ion battery pack when ready, highly efficient electronics and powerful electric motors to achieve significant increases in fuel economy.

“GM has begun work on a Saturn Vue plug-in hybrid production vehicle,” said Rick Wagoner, GM Chairman and CEO. “The technological hurdles are real, but we believe they are also surmountable. I can’t give you a production date for our plug-in hybrid today. But I can tell you that this is a top priority program for GM, given the huge potential it offers for fuel-economy improvement.”

A plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle differs from non-plug-in hybrid-electric vehicles by offering extended electric-only propulsion, additional battery capacity and the ability to be recharged from an external electrical outlet.

The Saturn Vue Green Line plug-in hybrid is expected to offer electric-only propulsion for more than 10 miles. At higher speeds or when conditions demand it, such as brisk acceleration, a combination of engine and electric power or engine power only will propel the vehicle.

In addition to plug-in capabilities and the modified 2-mode hybrid system, the Saturn Vue Green Line hybrid SUV’s powertrain will feature Lithium Ion battery technology, two interior permanent magnet motors and GM’s 3.6L V-6 gasoline engine with direct injection.

When ready for production, the Lithium Ion energy storage system will be replenished when the battery charge is depleted to a specified level by utilizing the 2-mode hybrid system’s electric motors and regenerative braking systems. When the vehicle is parked, the battery can be recharged using a common household exterior 110-volt plug-in outlet.

The 2-mode hybrid system will be altered for use with plug-in technology. It maintains two driving modes – one for city driving, the other for highway driving – and four fixed mechanical gears to maximize efficiency while maintaining performance. In addition, special controls will be utilized to enable higher speeds during electric-only propulsion and maintain electric-only propulsion for longer periods of time.

The Saturn Vue Green Line SUV, featuring the modified 2-mode hybrid system with plug-in capabilities, is part of GM’s ambitious effort to offer consumers a broad choice of hybrid systems at various levels of affordability:

• This year, the GM Hybrid system, an affordable belt-alternator starter hybrid technology, debuted in the Vue Green Line front-wheel-drive SUV.
  • In 2007, the GM Hybrid system will expand to the Saturn Aura Green Line and Chevrolet Malibu front-wheel-drive midsize sedans.
  • In 2007, the 2-mode hybrid system will debut in the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon full-size SUVs. Rear-wheel and four-wheel drive will be offered.
  • In 2008, the 2-mode hybrid system will expand to the Cadillac Escalade full-size SUV and the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra crew cab full-size pickups. The Escalade will offer all-wheel drive, while the Silverado and Sierra will offer rear-wheel and four-wheel drive.
  • In 2008, the first front-wheel-drive application of the 2-mode hybrid system, will debut – without plug-in technology – in the Vue Green Line. The Vue Green Line will offer customers a choice of the GM Hybrid system or the 2-mode hybrid system.
  • In 2009, an electric all-wheel-drive, 2-mode hybrid system will be introduced in the Vue Green Line.
GM plans to introduce a new hybrid system annually for the next several years, each offering different levels of affordability, fuel savings and performance,” said Tom Stephens, GM group vice president, GM Powertrain. “This strategy will allow more consumers to benefit from our hybrid technologies, while providing the opportunity to reduce our country’s petroleum consumption.”

GM is committed to a comprehensive and cost-effective, three-tiered advanced propulsion technology strategy focused on producing commercially viable and sustainable products. These include alternative fuel vehicles, ongoing improvements to conventional internal combustion engines and transmissions, the electrification of the automobile through a broad portfolio of hybrid models on high-volume car and truck platforms, and commercially viable hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

-----------

Sounds like the plug-in hybrid vehciles from GM that we have been hearing about for the past few months are finally getting closer to reality for the US market in the form of a Saturn VUE. The article doesn't specify if it will show up on the current VUE or the one that premiered today at the Los Angeles autoshow but the news is exciting nonetheless.

Edited by Flybrian

n 2008, the 2-mode hybrid system will expand to the Cadillac Escalade full-size SUV and the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra crew cab full-size pickups. The Escalade will offer all-wheel drive, while the Silverado and Sierra will offer rear-wheel and four-wheel drive.

Huh. Methinks the hybrids for these big boys need a lot of under-cab space for the mechanisms.

I wonder if this includes a Duramax Hybrid?

This is exactly the technology that I want to have, but I would prefer it not to be in an SUV or crossover, and I think a four-banger would be better than a V-6. Nonetheless, I am very intrigued and would consider buying one of these.

Get it here FAST GM!!!

Before the media has time to sabotage it and twist it around to sound like Toyota had the idea.

I'm sure the GREENIES will still refuse to buy american... Afterall, it isn't about the environment and it never was. It's about opinion and anti-american sentiment. Detroit is VERY american, and not the NOUVEAU american (toyota, imports are american, buy imported like a good consumer/american) bullsh*t that these people are buying in to and feeding the rest of the naive sheep.

These people will never be "rednecks" or "good 'ol boys" or "patriots" as their factions so arrogantly refer to people like US in the PRESS.

EDIT: Thanks for the correction. I was low on sleep and high on stress when I wrote this one.

Get it here FAST GM!!!

Before the media has time to sabotage it and twist it around to sound like Toyota had the idea.

I'm sure the GREENIES will still refuse to buy american... Afterall, it isn't about the environment and it never was. It's about opinion and anti-american sentiment. Detroit is VERY american, and not the NOVEUX american (toyota, imports are american, buy imported like a good consumer/american) bullsh*t that these people are buying in to and feeding the rest of the naive sheep.

These people will never be "rednecks" or "good 'ol boys" or "patriots" as their factions so arrogantly refer to people like US in the PRESS.

222079[/snapback]

Is it hard to be that paranoid all the time?

This is exactly the technology that I want to have, but I would prefer it not to be in an SUV or crossover, and I think a four-banger would be better than a V-6.  Nonetheless, I am very intrigued and would consider buying one of these.

222050[/snapback]

In small cars it makes more sense...Cobalt, maybe?

Get it here FAST GM!!!

I'm sure the GREENIES will still refuse to buy american... Afterall, it isn't about the environment and it never was. It's about opinion and anti-american sentiment. Detroit is VERY american, and not the NOVEUX american (toyota, imports are american, buy imported like a good consumer/american) bullsh*t that these people are buying in to and feeding the rest of the naive sheep.

222079[/snapback]

I would've agreed but from what I've seen over the past couple days is that the news media ( NY times, CNN, etc...) is giving GM a lot of props for the technology announcement. Now, will this translate to the auto magazines? Who knows. Though, I'm betting that their bias will cause them to conveniently push this news story to a small blurb on the 4th last page of their magazines.

Off topic:

Just for future reference: It's Nouveau and not NOVEUX. What you said would sound like "NO - VEUH." I applaud the effort though.

Edited by Cadillacfan

The interesting thing about electric power in vehicles is this: if I draw electricity from my home to charge my car's battery, that just means that my power supplier will have to burn more fuel to generate that power. I'd love to see an analysis of how much fuel is burned to generate the electric power that will save me X gallons of gas...

Maybe the power supplier can do this cheaper than paying at the pump...but environmentally speaking, how much better is it?

Obviously if your power comes from nuclear, water, wind, etc, this is not an issue. But my power comes from a few different sources, one of them being fuel.

The new 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line 2-mode hydrid system is definitely the vehicle I'm ordering for my wife. The mini SUV is sized just right, has those Euro looks, stunning interior, and promises very economical motoring.

45% improvement in fuel economy is something we Canadians value very much!!

taken from www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41176&page=3

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM Press Release

The Vue Green Line 2-mode Hybrid SUV will be powered by GM's 3.6L V-6 gas engine, with direct injection and variable valve timing, a nickel-metal hydride battery pack and two active cooled permanent magnet motors.

You read it here first: The Saturn Vue (in Green Line Dual Mode Hybrid Form) will come with the Direct Injection 3.6L HF V6. :pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime:

With a 45% improvement in fuel economy, I'm not expecting 300+ HP, but the motors and engine combined should at least provide more than the XR/Redline's 250 HP 3.6L alone.

And when will it be here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM Press Release

The 2-mode hybrid system has the flexibility to improve fuel efficiency across a range of vehicles," Stephens said. "For example, in 2003, we introduced the 2-mode hybrid system for transit buses. In 2007, the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon 2-mode full-size SUVs will debut, followed by the Vue Green Line 2-mode in 2008.

The interesting thing about electric power in vehicles is this:  if I draw electricity from my home to charge my car's battery, that just means that my power supplier will have to burn more fuel to generate that power.  I'd love to see an analysis of how much fuel is burned to generate the electric power that will save me X  gallons of gas...

Maybe the power supplier can do this cheaper than paying at the pump...but environmentally speaking, how much better is it?

Obviously if your power comes from nuclear, water, wind, etc, this is not an issue.  But my power comes from a few different sources, one of them being fuel.

222500[/snapback]

Stationary power generators <electric plants> are much cleaner environmentally than mobile power generators <car engines>.

Simply put, its far easier to clean one source of pollution than clean 1,000,000. Retrofitting stack scrubbers or using more expensive, less soot-resulting coal isn't easy or cheap unto itself, but its more economically-viable than doing to the same to a metro area's worth of automobiles.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait till everybody has plug-in hybrids. Every night, our ancient power grid will grind to a halt. Brown-outs everywhere. But the tree huggers will love it.

Not!

The overnight charge approach would actually be a more efficient use of our electrical grid than is currently the case. At night the system is essentially idling - spinning turbines but actually supplying very little electricity. My house is essentially using zero power after everyone is in bed, other than the refrigerators. With hybrids charging at least the turbines would have some work to do.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see the hybrid in the Chevrolet Cobalt to challenge those Honda Civic drivers. I would also like to see the Saturn Aura Hybrid to compete with the Toyota Camry hybrid. However, I think the best idea would be the Chevrolet Aveo Hybrid. That would compete great with the Toyota Prius. Come on GM please dont let me down this time!

Edited by Future_GM_CEO

Essentially this technology could be applied to all of the small to mid size car lines in GMNA even today to an extent and do mid cycle enhancements to the batteries . imo

Edited by prototype66