New Challenger

NOS2006

Please, oh please, will someone tell me what exterior differences the new Challenger has from the '70? Please?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All I see is a softer design (uhh, kinda like an anime/Pokemon version of the original, IMO), new taillight panel, new headlights, very slightly mod'd front fascia.

After today's announcement, they're dooming it to failure if they plan on selling it for $40k and equipping it with the 6.1L Hemi only. How about the 3.5L V6, 4.7L H.O., 5.7L Hemi and 6.1L as options? And a pricing hierarchy to match Ford and GM? And a convertible? I like the new Challenger, and only wish it a little less success than the Camaro/Firebird. Edited by ocnblu

Well, the new one is orange, and the old one isn't.

Seriously though, the old one has this lip-like overhang over the rear wheels, and I don't see it on the new one. I also read somewhere that the hoodscoops are functional on the new one, but not on the old one.

it doesnt look like much but when you see them side by side the differences are there. the mt from last month? had a whole thingy about it. vanishing point and what not.

within the article they said not everything would be doable for production. i thought i still had it here but i guess its on its way to becoming a new edition.

Well, the new one is orange, and the old one isn't.

Seriously though, the old one has this lip-like overhang over the rear wheels, and I don't see it on the new one. I also read somewhere that the hoodscoops are functional on the new one, but not on the old one.

178639[/snapback]

I see the lip thing on both cars, front and rear wheel arches..

IDK about the '70, but yes the concept's were functional.. I doubt that'll be on the production version though.

Guest YellowJacket894

Body-to-glasshouse ratio, wheel openings to wheels ratio, overhangs, along with the front and rear design cues are different. And that's it.

You know, the car looks decent in photos other than what you get from DCX. But it's, to be nice here, a smidge too retro. (Hell, to be honest, when I look at the new Challenger, I feel as if I'm wearing a spandex suit and wating for the release of Deep Throat.)

After today's announcement, they're dooming it to failure if they plan on selling it for $40k and equipping it with the 6.1L Hemi only.

If that proves true, I'd like to see someone hang Dr. Z on a pike. Or at least shave off his damned mustache.

Nos, "today's announcement" was GM's, regarding the Camaro.  I thought there was only one (THE) announcement made today, and there would be no confusion.

178649[/snapback]

Perhaps I should've just quote this portion: they plan on selling it for $40k and equipping it with the 6.1L Hemi only.

Please, oh please, will someone tell me what exterior differences the new Challenger has from the '70? Please?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All I see is a softer design (uhh, kinda like an anime/Pokemon version of the original, IMO), new taillight panel, new headlights, very slightly mod'd front fascia.

178631[/snapback]

C'mon NOS quit oppressing the challenger :lol:

Guest YellowJacket894

Within the article, they said not everything would be doable for production...

Like, for example, the C-pillar. That thing is as thick as a $h!house brick and would serve as a massive blind spot.

it doesnt look like much but when you see them side by side the differences are there.  the mt from last month?  had a whole thingy about it.  vanishing point and what not.

within the article they said not everything would be doable for production.  i thought i still had it here but i guess its on its way to becoming a new edition.

178641[/snapback]

So I have the issue sitting on my lap as I type this, and all I see is a white car with hard, defined lines and not very "frumpy." Then I also see an orange car that is very soft compared to the white one, along with a hugt (ugly ass) gap between the grille and front of the bumper/header panel. And the white one (older one) is more American-Muscle-era because of the chrome bumpers. Aside from that, what's different? Beside the point that I have a little bit of appreciation for the old Challenger..

C'mon NOS quit oppressing the challenger  :lol:

178654[/snapback]

Uhh, it's horrid.

i thought the line suggesting the challenger wasnt the same but rather how you remember it was apt...granted it was a little before my time when it was introduced, i still think its accurate.

if it can walk the walk and still take care of business i really wouldnt mind seeing it on the road. if only to break up the monotony.

they down talked the Challenger today saying that there just throwing a different body on the 300 and trying to sell it.

Also they said that that "a company just put out a car with 500 HP and our 400 HP Corvette smoked it"

they down talked the Challenger today saying that there just throwing a different body on the 300 and trying to sell it.

Also they said that that "a company just put out a car with 500 HP and our 400 HP Corvette smoked it"

178688[/snapback]

Yeah, the Shelby GT500 with 500 HP.

I think it's pretty much established the Challenger as way too much retro, I just hope the Camaro still looks good in 5 years. Yeah, it's coming in 2 1/2 years, but it will be "only" 2 1/2 years old 5 years from now, and I don't know if it's going to look fresh still.

The way you put it, I thought you meant the Viper. But the Viper has more HP than 500 and isn't beaten by the non-Z06 'Vette, much less smoked by it.

178706[/snapback]

Actually, a Z51-equipped Vette is very close to the Viper in acceleration and can beat it around the race track I'm pretty sure (assuming it's not an oval).

Hemi only? Their loss sales wise. But I'll be they'll sell well anyway.

It's a high money car and people will assume it will be an instant

classic, which will probably be true to some degree.

Within the article, they said not everything would be doable for production...

Like, for example, the C-pillar. That thing is as thick as a $h!house brick and would serve as a massive blind spot.

178655[/snapback]

Better a thivk C-pillar but NO B-pillar.

The rear side window has to be small enough to dissapear into the

rear 1/4 panel on the car... and the hardtop bodystyle is crucial to

the car's design language IMO. Even Mustangs & 1st gen. F-bodys

has thick C-pillars. It's all good.

The old one has a spoiler and the new one doesn't. :P

Anyone else notice that minus the recesses for the lug nuts the wheels on the Challenger and Camaro Concept look awfully similar?

178767[/snapback]

No, no, no.

Challenger concept wheels:

Posted Image

G6 concept wheels:

Posted Image

The Challenger rims can ALMOST be mistaken for G6 Concept rims.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1404238/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Those people are really pissing me off.

178775[/snapback]

Once i go ford I don't go back !

That's because it can't make it back.

They can talk about 'queer' Aveos and 'homo' V8 FWD Luminas until they're blue in the face. Let he who is without a lackluster lineup...

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_1404238/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Those people are really pissing me off.

178775[/snapback]

Pissing you off? Really? They're making me laugh my ass off. I love how they are comparing the GT500 to the Corvette and Camaro. Why is there no hypothetical discussion about say, the BASE Mustang with all its glorious 210HP and the future Camaro which could at least contain 250 horses. The Base models are the moneymakers anyway.

The camari has ALWAYS been playing catch up to the mustangs, this thread was not a comparison to the mustang vs corvette. The Mustang was the PREMIERE pony car and the camaro was just floowing in its' footsteps. the first camaro came out 3 YEARS after the first mustang. As for ford super cars that can compete with corvettes and beat them, I guess you forgot the AC cobra and the Ford GT, duh! GM started screwing up when they made classic names like the impala front wheel drive, those cars lost their soul when they did that., you could probably leave any GM car but the corvette parked in your states worst neghborhood with a 20 dollar bill on the dash and all the windows rolled down and no one would even bother it. GM needs to TOTALLY revamp the line up and THAT is going to take YEARS. Ford has managed to keep ahead of gm in styling options and innovation. Your post is very uneducated.

I love the new Challenger.

And really, unless you're going to hang out your car's window and wave a picture of a '70 Challenger at a passing '07 Challenger and try and shout 'retro-weenie' over the bellow of it's angry Hemi, who gives a rat's ass; you don't see '70-74 Challengers on the road anymore; they're (big buck) antiques in '06.

It's so refreshing to see (again) on the road: bring it on!

BTW- numerous scoops were offered on the Chalenger/'cuda- some functional, some not. The one above is the Challenger T/A- that's a completely functional-scoop (hood's fiberglas, too).

I love the new Challenger.

And really, unless you're going to hang out your car's window and wave a picture of a '70 Challenger at a passing '07 Challenger and try and shout 'retro-weenie' over the bellow of it's angry Hemi, who gives a rat's ass; you don't see '70-74 Challengers on the road anymore; they're (big buck) antiques in '06.

It's so refreshing to see (again) on the road: bring it on!

178807[/snapback]

:cussing:

Guest YellowJacket894

Black w/white stripes.

Posted Image

All black:

Posted Image

178787[/snapback]

Now I can cope with the way the car looks. It is, after all, in a great color. 8)

"Refreshing" is just about the last word I'd use to describe the Challenger.

"Rehash?" Sure.

"Reiteration?" Yep.

"Repeat?" Uh-huh.

"Remake?" Just about.

But "refreshing?" Nah, not this one. :)

OK, maybe I haven't done my research. Last I heard, that was the plan ($40k, 6.1L only). What is the new plan? Rink prease.

America needs all 3 ponycars, people. I love all 3, but I love the Camaro most of all.

"Rehash?" "Reiteration?" "Repeat?" "Remake?"quote]

That's BMW design philosophy in a tidy nutshell.

But "refreshing?" Nah' date=' not this one.[/quote']

On the road, it absolutely is. Try and tell me there's something remotely like it you'd see driving around. The Challenger would draw crowds for a good while.

Sitting on the livingroom floor looking at car books & brochures, no: I suppose not. I tend to drive out on the road, not on the livingroom floor.

I heard a 5.7 will be initially offered with a 6.1 option later.

I see plenty off differences. While the overall shape is similar, the greenhouse is smaller, on the newer one, and the bumpers are body color and integrated into the body. The hood slopes a bit less on the new car, the taillight is one red bar instead of being split. There's other differences but yeah.

Why not keep it Hemi only and at like $42K MSRP.

That's all that less Camaro sales stolen. It will be

very limited production and an instant classic like

the original... I'll take my muscle for the massses

Camaro/GTO/Firebird.

Most people have no idea that many a 1970-73

Challenger left the factory with a mellow slant six.

Why not keep it Hemi only and at like $42K MSRP.

That's all that less Camaro sales stolen. It will be

very limited production and an instant classic like

the original... I'll take my muscle for the massses

Camaro/GTO/Firebird.

178997[/snapback]

Can't you, like, just buy a restored Challenger for $42,000?

I heard a 5.7 will be initially offered with a 6.1 option later.

I see plenty off differences. While the overall shape is similar, the greenhouse is smaller, on the newer one, and the bumpers are body color and integrated into the body. The hood slopes a bit less on the new car, the taillight is one red bar instead of being split. There's other differences but yeah.

178957[/snapback]

It looks wider also, and the body doesn't tuck onder nearly as much as the old one..not to mention the modern sized wheels and tires. The hood is shorter, A-pillars thicker, etc.

It's retro yet modern and distinctive... in Hemi orange, it will really stand out amidst the sea of ordinary cars on a typical freeway or street. Like them or not, the recent Dodge and Chrysler RWD models all stand out as unique and distinct, something that can't be said for GM's bland FWD models, IMHO...

Edited by moltar

Guest YellowJacket894

Mother :censored:

178837[/snapback]

Hey, hey. I said I could cope with it. By which I meant, black on the Challenger is like putting a bag over the head of an ugly chick just before you screw her.

I'm serious. You know that black makes just about any car look like a f@#king Rolls Royce.

The Challenger should mirror the trim levels of the Charger, and be priced maybe $500 higher than the sedan through the model range. It needs a six speed manual option, and it needs a convertible option. It's a can't miss opportunity if they don't aim it exclusively at baby boomers with cash.