GM to Dealers: "No More Full Tank Freebies"

GM to Dealers: "No More Full Tank Freebies"

Posted Image

[T]he General's laying down the law on dealerships in the latest missive from the bean-counting bureaucrats at the RenCen...by making it clear they'll no longer reimburse dealers for a full of tank of gas upon delivery. Instead, the Detroit-based automaker will be handing the dealership $20 for cars and $30 for trucks -- which if we've calculated correctly, will mean the dealer will be able to pump just over six gallons into a car and ten gallons into a truck without dipping into their own pockets.

Posted Image

Editor's Note: You can also find the actual letter to dealers at the link.

Read "GM Says To Dealers: No Gas For You!" @ Jalopnik

When I bought my first new car in 1984 I was amazed that the car came nearly empty. Every car I bought after that -- regardless of dealer -- it was full. This is just plain petty, and stupid. It's the little things that irk customers and this one would be up there. Just up the price of the stupid car by another $30 and cover your cost if you're going to be this anal about it.

Idiots.

I always had to fill up the vehicles at the dealership with a full tank if they were sold. We would actually put about 5 gallons in cars and 7 in trucks/SUVs if they needed gas and were just sitting on the lot. I think GM only paid for half of the gas, though, so I'm not sure if this is really that much different except on vehicles that requrie many test drives to sell. I guess it's sort of an incentive to get the deal done without a lot of test drives so that the dealer doesn't have to pay for more gas.

The dealership can still give you the car with a full tank... this just means that GM won't be reimbursing the entire tank's worth of fuel. It's the dealership's loss, unless they decide to pass the buck and charge the remainder of the tank to the customer.

I always saw the "first tank free" thing as a courtesy that the dealer did for the customer. Oh well, when I got my GA, the first tank was on them, and then after my GA was totalled, my Impala came with what was in the tank (hardly anything). I always guessed it was the perogitive (sp?) of to dealer to tank you up.

There are no more free rides. GM does not pay for the gas up here. When the vehicles arrive on the lot they probably have about 1 1/2 gallons in the tank.

The car may have cost you $30,000, but that is not how much the dealer made. If the dealer makes $1,000, has to pay the clean up guy, PDI guy and the salesperson, plus keep the lights on and the taxman happy, how much money to you think there is left over for a full tank of gas?

(And in Canada, that can be $60 on a Malibu!)

I agree that the perception isn't great, but if the dealer swallowed $50 a car, that would be a lot of money over the course of the year.

Let's hope dealers don't put regular gas in a C6 just to take the needle closer to "F".

183523[/snapback]

I had to stop the salesman from putting 5 gallons of 87 octane into my Aurora.

"You'll get more gas, though."

"What? Half a gallon? No, 93, please."

So, when the cars arrive at the dealership from the factory, do they have a full tank ... or, do they just have enough gas to get 'em on and off the truck?

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Surely this can be explained" ... Lonestar ... 'No News'

So, when the cars arrive at the dealership from the factory, do they have a full tank ... or, do they just have enough gas to get 'em on and off the truck?

"Surely this can be explained" ... Lonestar ... 'No News'

183787[/snapback]

Nope-just enough....

And believe it or not, there are a lot of dealerships around here that don't give you a full tank..which include Honda, Kia, Ford and more..

Nope-just enough....

And believe it or not, there are a lot of dealerships around here that don't give you a full tank..which include Honda, Kia, Ford and more..

183797[/snapback]

if i remember correctly i read somewhere it was by law... to fill it on a new vehicle...

for us as soon as it gets off the truck we give it 1/4 tank... and fill it all the way on at point of sale...

the used cars always get 1/4 tank...

Nope-just enough....

*nods*

I figured that was the case ......

"You really think you're in control?" ... Gnarls Barkley ... 'Crazy'

Edited by knightfan26917

This decision is being rescinded. Full tanks for everyone!

Buickman

184999[/snapback]

Lets hope I can't see how GM can make this a permanent fixture in their corporate structure.

Guest buickman

I'd rather see ABS standard across the whole lineup like it almost was in the past rather than reimbursing dealers (not consumers) for gasoline.

185083[/snapback]

Actually the ABS move has proven to be worthwhile. Many customers prefer to save the $600 and have less exposure to potential repair expense. The option is available for those who want the additional safety. The free gas on the other hand is something that everyone appreciates. I have it by credible source that the gasoline decision has been reversed.

Buickman

Edited by buickman

Actually the ABS move has proven to be worthwhile. Many customers prefer to save the $600 and have less exposure to potential repair expense. The option is available for those who want the additional safety. The free gas on the other hand is something that everyone appreciates. I have it by credible source that the gasoline decision has been reversed.

Buickman

185151[/snapback]

ive had one or two customers that will not purchase a car if it has abs on it... for various reasons... but none the less would not...

Buickman

185151[/snapback]

I am one of those people who would prefer to pass on the ABS, I don't want no ABS light on the dash years down the road that costs a fortune to fix.

When I bought my first new car in 1984 I was amazed that the car came nearly empty. Every car I bought after that -- regardless of dealer -- it was full. This is just plain petty, and stupid. It's the little things that irk customers and this one would be up there. Just up the price of the stupid car by another $30 and cover your cost if you're going to be this anal about it.

Idiots.

182990[/snapback]

My brother bought a new Pontiac in January 1984 and the temperature outside was about 20 below when he left the dealer with about a gallon of gas and didn't the car brake down on the way home. Had it towed back and they said the fuel line froze. :stupid:

I have bought 4 new vehicles and all of them have been on empty when I picked them up. I traded in my S10 and it had 1/2 a tank so I asked the dealer to give me a gas coupon for 20 bucks to put in the Cavalier since it was on empty.

I couldn't see a reason not to get the ABS...I think safety features like side airbags, etc should be standard an not an option..

185469[/snapback]

not when you beleive was a reason that almost killed you...

Many saftey devices are very dangerous...

example, seat belts... if you get into an accident sometimes it wont unlatch... (probably less occurances these days)

air bags... airbags can kill a person if they sit to close to the wheel, like i do... I'm almost 6 feet, but i almost always slide the seat as far forward as it will let me...

ABS... well if you know how to brake... do you really want the car to try control the situation if you can see a resolution... I had a customer that was considering the LS impala because it was one of the only to not have standard ABS in its class...