Spied: 2008 Opel Astra

Variance

Spied: 2008 Opel Astra

Posted Image

The most important part about the mid-life facelift of the Opel Astra is not the re-designed chrome bar flanking the logo. It’s also not the slightly modified air-intakes below the headlights. And it’s not the wanna-be single-frame grille or the shining stripes, and neither the re-shaped black spoiler underneath the front bumper. The most important part is actually not at all to be found at the front of the car!

Read "SPY PHOTOS: Opel Astra Facelift" @ World Car Fans

<_< IMO this is an ugly auto. Just got back from Frankfurt and did not really see anything that got me excited except a raised Chevy Dually truck that a lady drove down the road by my hotel. I figure probably from the military. But this just does nothing for me.

Plus why does everyone feel we need an Opel rebadge here to win sales and market share. The current GM offerings are working and seems to be going in the right direction.

Edited by dfelt

<_<  IMO this is an ugly auto.  Just got back from Frankfurt and did not really see anything that got me excited except a raised Chevy Dually truck that a lady drove down the road by my hotel.  I figure probably from the military.  But this just does nothing for me.

Plus why does everyone feel we need an Opel rebadge here to win sales and market share.  The current GM offerings are working and seems to be going in the right direction.

193037[/snapback]

This replaces ION right? Is this what they plan to import? I assumed they might send a 3 door, but didn't expect a wagon. Not so sure the 5 door will sell well here either.

Edited by ketch

This replaces ION right? Is this what they plan to import? I assumed they might send a 3 door, but didn't expect a wagon. Not so sure the 5 door will sell well here either.

193074[/snapback]

Yup, this replaces the Ion. I don't think they've said what model(s) they'll send over. Personally, I think having both a wagon and 5-door is overkill, and would say Saturn should have the wagon of the 2, since Saturn has had wagons before, and it would help with getting repeat buyers. You lose some looks, but gain utility.

Pesonally, I'd like a 3-door. :) Well, I own a 3-door SC1, but that's a different 3-door. :lol:

I think there will certainly be an Astra sedan for sale in the US (based on the south american Chevy Vectra I'd guess), and maybe the 3 door hatch and the wagon. 5 door hatchbacks are not popular in the US like they are in Europe though.

But if its an import volumes might be restricted, so maybe less bodystyle variations, at least until they can build the next generation version in the US.

<_<  IMO this is an ugly auto.  Just got back from Frankfurt and did not really see anything that got me excited except a raised Chevy Dually truck that a lady drove down the road by my hotel.  I figure probably from the military.  But this just does nothing for me.

Plus why does everyone feel we need an Opel rebadge here to win sales and market share.  The current GM offerings are working and seems to be going in the right direction.

193037[/snapback]

I'd like to see them offer a Cobalt wagon, that would be interesting.

• 1 month later...

FYI "Testfahrt" is "test drive" in german, but you probably knew that,and actually germans refer to their station wagons as Kombi or, Avant if it's an Audi.

193314[/snapback]

Volkswagen wagons are called Variant

Ford wagons are called Turnier (Tournament)

Opel wagons are called Caravan

BMW wagons are called Tourer

FYI "Testfahrt" is "test drive" in german, but you probably knew that,and actually germans refer to their station wagons as Kombi or, Avant if it's an Audi.

193314[/snapback]

It's actually closer to "test journey". It applies also to air travel (Luftfarht) and sea travel (as in Discofarht - disco cruise).

Related English words are:

Fere (n); fellow traveller, companion

Fere (a); able to travel.

Fare (n); way; travelling, journeying, voyage;

Fare (v); travel, journey, go.

Ferk (v); to bring, to lead.

Ferd (n); expedition, journey—the English equivalent to German farht and Dutch vaart.

Here is the new 4 door Astra, which looks just like the Chevy Vectra from Brasil...  I think this is going to make a nice Saturn.

206824[/snapback]

The hatch kinda looks interesting and semi-trendy, but this four-door is just boring. The Astra was nice four years ago, but with the introduction of the new Rabbit, Civic, 3, and Sentra, it has lost its "premium" (for the US) distinction.