A 76 inch wide car

Moriarty

Hi, I'm new, so if I sound dumb, give me a break.

Anyway, I was wondering. I have a '95 Chevy Beauville that can carry twelve, with the back seat very reasonably fitting four across. What if someone built a sedan that was as wide as my van (76 inches), with two bench seats, and marketed it as both a better minivan (no climbing out of the back over seats, legs, and seat belts), an exceptionablly well handling large sedan (just think how it would handle being so wide. I just DARE you to try to flip it!), and the sedan with the biggest trunk, period?

It would have to be a reasonable weight (as close to 4000 lbs as possible), either RWD or AWD, and if you really want it to be nice, it would come with four-wheel steering and GM's 2-mode hybrid transmission standard. Build it so it can tow a generous amount, give it sweet styling, nice engines, a six-speed, and GM's magnetaride suspension. Ta-da!

Sigh... I think my '73 Catalina could seat 4 narrow asses across each bench... what a car.

It doesn't sound dumb, Dean Moriarty, it actually sounds like an excellent car to go out On The Road in.

Welcome to C&G, by the way.

Im sure this kind of car was looked into during the 60's. 4 across the front would be a problem. In todays world this kind of car would most likely be a flop in the market. Vans have more overall utility.

It is a cool and interesting idea, which I myself have thought over.

Most people around here would get all :hissyfit: because it didnt have a console.

Now if you made it a full 96" wide you could have 3 buckets, two consoles, 27 air bags, and as long as everything was all softy touch plastic, Im sure that would meet everyones approval............. :lol:

For a few minutes just for the challenge of it, I fit 10 people in my '99 Lumina (non-APV, the sedan).

Three across the front (proper)

Four across the back (sqa-wish! haha!)

One across the laps on the back (The person with the feet wasn't pleased)

Two in the trunk. This was easier than I had expected.

Oh man. Just thinking of that day still makes me laugh.

I like the way you think, if only in theory. :)

Welcome to C&G.

Welcome Moriarty! Yeah, 76" width is still lowballing it for a full-size car, but its better than the narrow things we have today (an Impala is only 73"-the mid-sizers should be there! They're only at 69-71"-not good enough!)

The problem with a seat wide enough to seat four is that the driver would sit so far to the left (assuming it's LHD) that they could misjudge (even worse than drivers of current vehicles do) the width of the vehicle. Secondly, a four-wide seat in such a relatively narrow package would put a passenger right on top of the driver making driving more difficult.

It reminds me of the Rush song "Red Barchetta". Cars getting so huge, they are two lanes wide and unable to chase after the old gas-powered dinosaurs.

Now that I think of it, today's reality may make those of us with cars from the 50's and 60's "outlaws" because we don't have cats and have carbs.

My uncle has a country place

That no one knows about

He says it used to be a farm

Before the Motor Law

And on Sundays I elude the eyes

And hop the Turbine Freight

To far outside the Wire

Where my white-haired uncle waits

Jump to the ground

As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline

Run like the wind

As excitement shivers up and down my spine

Down in his barn

My uncle preserved for me an old machine

For fifty odd years

To keep it as new has been his dearest dream

I strip away the old debris

That hides a shining car

A brilliant red Barchetta

From a better vanished time

I fire up the willing engine

Responding with a roar

Tires spitting gravel

I commit my weekly crime

Wind

In my hair

Shifting and drifting

Mechanical music

Adrenaline surge...

Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware

Suddenly ahead of me

Across the mountainside

A gleaming alloy air car

Shoots towards me, two lanes wide

I spin around with shrieking tires

To run the deadly race

Go screaming through the valley

As another joins the chase

Drive like the wind

Straining the limits of machine and man

Laughing out loud with fear and hope

I've got a desperate plan

At the one-lane bridge

I leave the giants stranded at the riverside

Race back to the farm

To dream with my uncle at the fireside

Hey Hudson! Some reasonable feedback!

Okay, don't want to invade the drivers bubble. So you give the driver a bucket seat and a console, and then have a short bench for two over to the right. How does that sound?

As for misjudging the width of the vehicle, I don't see chevy-van drivers side-swiping people all the time. I doubt it would be a serious problem beyond the first couple minutes of drivetime, right when the buyer takes the car out for it's first spin.

As for misjudging the width of the vehicle, I don't see chevy-van drivers side-swiping people all the time.  I doubt it would be a serious problem beyond the first couple minutes of drivetime, right when the buyer takes the car out for it's first spin.

But in a van, the driver isn't all the way to the left. If you sit in a Hummer H1, you'll see the perspective I'm talking about.

With a 76" wide vehicle, you need six inches on each side for crash protection (doors and space) leaving 64" of interior space for four passengers. Assuming that a driver's bucket seat is 18" wide (a modest estimate), you've got 46" left for three passengers...at 15" each. How wide are your shoulders? How wide is the average American's midsection?

Cars are getting smaller. Americans keep getting fatter.  :P

193377[/snapback]

Americans responded to cars getting smaller over the last 15 years buy buying bigger and bigger SUVs and trucks as they got fatter. Look how massive full size trucks are today.. :)

My Jeep is 72.3 inch wide..I don't think I really want a car or SUV wider than that..any wider and it would a pain to park in garages and lots... a Lexus LS460 is only 73.8 inches wide, and it's just about the perfect size for a big luxury car today, IMHO..

Edited by moltar

My Fusion is 72.2 inches wide and its a perfect mix between interior space and mobility. Any wider and narrow roads would become a pain in the ass and parking lots would be hell. Maybe I'd feel different;y if I weighed 475 pounds. I just dont see the need for a vehicle that wide, especially since nowadays you rarely see more than one person in a car.

It's so true. I really hate seeing people commute in Suburbans.

193394[/snapback]

Yeah..too wasteful, IMHO... I work with a guy that commutes at least 40 miles a day in an F350 Super Duty crew cab duallie. I would not want his diesel bills...

But in a van, the driver isn't all the way to the left. If you sit in a Hummer H1, you'll see the perspective I'm talking about.

With a 76" wide vehicle, you need six inches on each side for crash protection (doors and space) leaving 64" of interior space for four passengers. Assuming that a driver's bucket seat is 18" wide (a modest estimate), you've got 46" left for three passengers...at 15" each. How wide are your shoulders? How wide is the average American's midsection?

193360[/snapback]

Interesting, 6 inches. Cars really do have thick doors these days. But I guess it would make quite a difference in a crash. My Beauville can't have much more than 4 inches, at most. It may be closer to 3.

As for 15", yeah that's cutting it a bit close. Although that can't be much more than many small cars have.

In the ol' Beauville, in the back seat, there's about 3" thick body panels, leaving 17.5" for every passenger, which is much more reasonable.

As for sitting to the left, yes, Van drivers sit right there on the left. I think the real thing is that it'll be a bit weird to be that far left that close to the ground.

By the way, thanks for all the feedback! It's great to be able to discuss ideas with people who can take an honest look at what you've got!

My '59 is one of the widest cars ever (body width, doesn't include sideview mirrors): 80.7". Seats are wonderfully wide.

193135[/snapback]

Posted Image

I love my Super 88 but some day I'll sell it to

afford one of these cars, it's like a Russian

Ice Breaker on wheels. :wub:

Edited by Sixty8panther

I've only driven wide vehicles for the most part:

and whatever a Silverado measures in at.

Never misjudged anything with regards to body dimensions. It's not to accomodate personal width, but the luxury of space is quite pleasant.

I hate being pinned in a modern, 72"-ish car with a high console and close wheel, where turning in your seat, never mind trying to reach something in the back, is a hinderance at best.

No one bothers to try and build/buy a house that's as narrow/tight/compact as possible, how much energy does it cost to heat & cool those in comparison?

My Millenia is 69.7" in width and its plenty wide enough for me. I dont see the appeal of huge vehicles. Such a waste of space and only makes it more difficult to drive/park. I can see having it if you need it, to carry more people at once in comfort but otherwise? Don't think so. :P

193588[/snapback]

I agree, a huge selling point would be the fact that it's the most efficient and cheap vehicle out there that can carry eight. If a bare-bones model could sell for $20,000 even, and get more than 19/27 mpg, than it would achieve that.

I agree, a huge selling point would be the fact that it's the most efficient and cheap vehicle out there that can carry eight.  If a bare-bones model could sell for $20,000 even, and get more than 19/27 mpg, than it would achieve that.

193596[/snapback]

True enough, but how many people really carry eight very often? I could see a demand in Utah maybe, but in general?

Edited by moltar

The appeal of more room is that you have more room. Prisoners traditionally have a 6'x8' 'bedroom' and that 'works' fine for them, but no one wants that in their house. Some people are content with their shoulders 2 inches from the side glass and 4 from the other passenger, some prefer less confining interiors. A preference, nothing more, no judgement required or justified.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings