Sign in to follow this  
Black and Blue Landscaper

Attention PA Drivers

PA wants to follow in California's foot steps and require stricter laws on emissions. I say nay. It's not like we have a crap load of cars here most of this state is populated by people on buggies. WTF?

"The cost of the vehicle might go up, but it will be benefical at the gas pump." BullSh*t!

"We would have to make the cars smaller, with less horsepower. The more expensive cars would be that much harder to sell." Exactly

I understand highly populated states should work on this, but we aint one of them. The most of the polution would be from the major cities or someone from Jersey. And as far as cost. I find it interested that there are no mentions as to what exactly mechanics would have to do or what might be repaired or added. Again i think its a crock. If they are worried about localized area, major cities and what not then just have the locals deal with it, but dont make everyone pay for it. Bast*rds.

New Emission Law

Guest YellowJacket894

Can't dealers in California, etc., just select an Emissions Override option on certain vehicles? (I think they can on, say, a Colorado with an I-5.)

Can't dealers in California, etc., just select an Emissions Override option on certain vehicles? (I think they can on, say, a Colorado with an I-5.)

No. California, New York, Massachusetts, and the rest of these states cannot "select an Emissions Overide option." All vehicles sold to the public in these states must have "California emissions."

As for Pennsylvania...it IS one of the more populous states in the country. The current regulations will not raise the price of a new car. I think these regulations should be standard across all 50 states and if a few more states get off their rears and agree to the California standards, perhaps the federal government will wake up.

I can't stand the Mass Emissions law!

It's NOT about emissions it's about economic descrimination.

Well Mr. Jones, your 1985 Pontiac Grand Am seems like it's

still a fine car btu you'll have to spend $1200 to hjave it

meet emissions, otherwise you can buy a new(er) car....

I can't stand the Mass Emissions law!

It's NOT about emissions it's about economic descrimination.

Well Mr. Jones, your 1985 Pontiac Grand Am seems like it's

still a fine car btu you'll have to spend $1200 to hjave it

meet emissions, otherwise you can buy a new(er) car....

195733[/snapback]

Exactly!

Edited by Black and Blue Landscaper

Exactly!

But apparently you haven't read enough about PENNSYLVANIA's law. They want to dumb down or eliminate the emissions testing altogether in PA. The new law would only require the purchase of a new vehicle with CA emissions. After that, there's the possibility of NO emissions testing ever. The statement was that most cars pass now and with improved emissions requirements of new cars, even MORE would pass...thus making emissions testing expensive and redundant.

Currently in PA, the law states that you need to put $400 (I believe that's the limit) into fixing the emissions system before you can get an exemption. And most of the state has NO emissions testing at the moment.

Edited by Hudson

Only Philadelphia County and Allegheny County <Pittsburgh> have emissions testing.

195783[/snapback]

Not correct.

Testing is required around 3 major metro areas: Philadelphia,Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg. The testing is done not only in those cities, but in surrounding counties.

For example, I am required to have my cars tested here in Chester County. I am near, but not in, Philadelphia County.

Not correct.

Testing is required around 3 major metro areas: Philadelphia,Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg. The testing is done not only in those cities, but in surrounding counties.

For example, I am required to have my cars tested here in Chester County. I am near, but not in, Philadelphia County.

195789[/snapback]

I must admit I don't know what happens on the eastern side of the state, but out my way, only Allegheny has testing.

The history of this testing in PA is one of mis-management, incompetence, half-measures, and expensive mandates which are then repealed after the fact. Any new proposals on this front promise to be just as ill-advised and detrimental. Adopting any of California's standards and practices is a fool's errand and shows pure laziness on the part of the PA legislature. Every state is different and a system thoughtfully crafted to match the needs and mindset of Pensylvanians is what's required, not the simple importation of a set of regulations from another locale.

After reading the story the link leads to, I have concluded that this is not only bad for PA, but also for the automakers and the nation. Terrible idea. I hate California's influence on the rest of us. :nono:

After reading the story the link leads to, I have concluded that this is not only bad for PA, but also for the automakers and the nation. Terrible idea. I hate California's influence on the rest of us. :nono:

Why is this bad? You're against cleaner air?

And Pennsylvania isn't adopting everything California does. They're actually only planning to get the cars and possibly doing away with the testing altogether. I like that idea: cleaner new cars for no additional cost and less money out of my pocket for annual inspections. What could be so bad?

here in missouri, no emissions, but atleast inspections every 2 years... every year is wasteful for the vast, vast majority, other than for beaters that the person doesn't pay attention to.

If this happened, wouldn't things like the benz bluetec, not be here? while this cali-everyone law would make "cleaner" cars and push the manufacturers harder to be "greener"... it would make some cars more more expensive, and possibly kill competition, if a company couldn't meet regs for the big $ making cars/trucks/suvs

We have emissions testing here in Lancaster County.

Too bad they don't require emissions testing on Amish horses. Every time they raise their tail... pee yew :nono:

Really sorry, sincerely, about that bull&#036;h&#33;.... In MI, the state doesn't have money to test offending cars, so it' a free for all. Any engine in any car! No cats needed, no roadworthiness inspections.

Good and bad- you wouldn't believe some of the &#036;h&#33;boxes on the road in the Detroit area!

I'm looking for a Big Block and plan 3" exhaust. I like Michigan.

Edited by mightymouse

We have emissions testing (every 2 years) here in Denver, though I don't think it's uniform across all of Colorado. I have no problem with adopting the California standards on new cars....cleaner air is healthier and a good thing!! (obviously)

As far as old cars go, you keep them maintained, it shouldn't be a problem---my '87 Mustang GT passes emissions inspections every 2 years (still has the original catalytic converters)...

Edited by moltar

here in missouri, no emissions, but atleast inspections every 2 years...  every year is wasteful for the vast, vast majority, other than for beaters that the person doesn't pay attention to. 

195927[/snapback]

According to the DOR website, StL and KC require emissions testing, all the more reason for me to stay around Springgy. I agree the 2 year registration is far better (in theory*) than one year.

*I say in theory because I've yet to have a car more than 13 months so I cannot say from personal experience that its better.

I hate California's influence on the rest of us. :nono:

195825[/snapback]

So very true.

Really sorry, sincerely, about that bull&#036;h&#33;.... In MI, the state doesn't have money to test offending cars, so it' a free for all. Any engine in any car! No cats needed, no roadworthiness inspections.

Good and bad- you wouldn't believe some of the &#036;h&#33;boxes on the road in the Detroit area!

I'm looking for a Big Block and plan 3" exhaust.  I like Michigan.

196082[/snapback]

Yeah, no joke.

I have a person in my complex with a old crown vic, and that thing smokes like

crazy...and it has been smoking for months! :blink:

Yes...cleaning the air is just contaminating our way of life.

196223[/snapback]

If they want cleaner air then they shoudl have mandatory nuclear power plants.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook