Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

TOYOTA LOSES GROUND!!!!!!

so, Honda is the golden boy right now.

I have a hard time believing people actually like their Kias and Hyundais. They are just happy they have a cheap price and long warranty. You never pick Hyundai or Kia because you want to, you pick them because of price and warranty and personal guilt. Lots of folks who buy Kias and Hyundais are ones who maybe never bought a car NEW before, or they are afraid to pay going prices on the car they really wanted.

Let's all join in and smack toyota down to size.

Edited by regfootball

I have a hard time believing people actually like their Kias and Hyundais.  They are just happy they have a cheap price and long warranty.  You never pick Hyundai or Kia because you want to, you pick them because of price and warranty and personal guilt.  Lots of folks who buy Kias and Hyundais are ones who maybe never bought a car NEW before, or they are afraid to pay going prices on the car they really wanted.

203382[/snapback]

Those sound like a lot of the reasons I bought my Cobalt. Is that bad?

Those sound like a lot of the reasons I bought my Cobalt. Is that bad?

203391[/snapback]

No, not in your case, because you also got the car you wanted. I like to use my sister as an example. She bought an Elantra after her Focus, because it had the long warranty and was a bit cheaper. She actually had no issues with her Focus. But after she traded it for the Elantra she found she didn't like it as much as her Focus. She puts a ton of miles on so she was drawn to the warranty, but in the process she did not get exactly what she wanted and is not completely happy with it. Now what may be happening is people might actually like their Hyundais enough so they do not have remorse, OR, they are kidding themselves thinking that they got a top notch car.

I have driven the Cobalt and think its a fine, desirable car. You can justify buying one, just out of want, and not only because of price and warranty. in your case, you liked the car AND got a good warranty and price. In the final take, my guess is you did not buy only because of price and warranty and end up getting less than you wanted.

No, not in your case, because you also got the car you wanted.  I like to use my sister as an example.  She bought an Elantra after her Focus, because it had the long warranty and was a bit cheaper.  She actually had no issues with her Focus.  But after she traded it for the Elantra she found she didn't like it as much as her Focus.  She puts a ton of miles on so she was drawn to the warranty, but in the process she did not get exactly what she wanted and is not completely happy with it.  Now what may be happening is people might actually like their Hyundais enough so they do not have remorse, OR, they are kidding themselves thinking that they got a top notch car. 

I have driven the Cobalt and think its a fine, desirable car.  You can justify buying one, just out of want, and not only because of price and warranty.  in your case, you liked the car AND got a good warranty and price.  In the final take, my guess is you did not buy only because of price and warranty and end up getting less than you wanted.

203455[/snapback]

I've driven an Elantra - our company owns one and lends it out to whoever needs to get around and doesn't have a car. So, before I had a parking spot in Toronto to put my Lumina in, I drove the Elantra for two weeks. I woudn't say I was disappointed by it - in fact, I wouldn't have regretted buying one. However, I did drive it like I stole it. Actually owning it wouldn't have changed this either. So, I guess the difference is that I respect the Cobalt more. That doesn't mean the Elantra is a bad car, it's just that you have to beat it up to have any fun driving it. That could also have something to do with it being automatic.

I have a hard time believing people actually like their Kias and Hyundais.  They are just happy they have a cheap price and long warranty.  You never pick Hyundai or Kia because you want to, you pick them because of price and warranty and personal guilt.  Lots of folks who buy Kias and Hyundais are ones who maybe never bought a car NEW before, or they are afraid to pay going prices on the car they really wanted.

203382[/snapback]

nice generlization. i'd say 5 years ago that was closer to the truth than it is today.

beside, does it really matter why people are buying hyundais? fact is they are the fastest growing car company.

203382[/snapback]

My neighbor bought a Sonata, I asked him what he thought of it and he says he likes it a lot. Of all the cars he looked at, he found the Sonata to have the most comfortable driving position. So to me it sounds like he bought the car cuz he likes it, not cuz of the cheap price.

Don't underestimate Hyundai. They are a very quick to learn company and are one of the fastest growing companies, but they are not losing site of staying the right size and not overinflated. As is the case with Toyota, I think they are so set on world domiance it's going to bite them in the ass eventually/maybe. It is good to see GM in the fight and keeping up the fight. They just need some more cars in the lower priced segements that more people will take notice of instead of the Corvette, and HD pickups. They are slowly getting there.

beside, does it really matter why people are buying hyundais? fact is they are the fastest growing car company.

203519[/snapback]

That is what GM said about toyota!!! i see what you are saying, but if you could study hyundai now and figure out how they are doing it, you stand to keep them down and maybe raise your sales.

All the Hyundai comments are intersesting...one of my former coworkers bought a new sonata about 6 months ago. It was his first new car ever at 25, he just had a baby and wanted something with lots of safety features but didn't want to pay $30k for it.

They're ok looking but having grown up in an era when Hyundai's were known to be cheap and problem-prone vehicles it's still a bit hard to think of them as true competitors to Toyota, Honda, or GM and DC.

His Sonata isn't bad looking......black with a nice interior, decent ride but I still can't shake the "you went into cheapo shopping mode" feeling