Sign in to follow this  
trinacriabob

State (and Province) License Plates

38 posts in this topic

trinacriabob    21

As I drive around and see different state license plates, I think yay or nay. Some are really cool and some are misses.

My thoughts on a couple of them:

California - the cursive script is cool, but otherwise bland.

Washington - Mt. Rainier and the colors are soothing, but some people don't like it because not all of the state can see Mt. Rainier from where they are...and eastern WA is very different from the Seattle area where most of the population resides.

Arizona - not bad

Utah - TOO colorful

Nevada - washed out with its golden sky...Nevada, in my mind, used to have the BEST plate of all the states: it was called the Big Horn design.

The plate was essentially silver and in various shades of gray, it lightly depicted a desertscape with yucca trees and a bighorn sheep at one corner on a ridge. In navy blue Bonanza-type western letters, it said Nevada on top and Silver State on the bottom. But they got rid of it.

New York - the colors chosen are kind of washed out and too cluttered in its story across the top. I think I preferred the last one (red, white and blue) with the Statue of Liberty. In the 80s, they had the ominous orange with navy blue letters and it looked great on a black limousine.

Florida - I'm not so big on the oranges. I LOVED the one with the state outline, white/green/peach coloring and the name of the county of the bottom

Edited by trinacriabob

Cory Wolfe    263

Um... blue and yellow on white for the Keystone State? :P

Anyways, for me, any plate than has to be seen on the front of a vehicle equals a state I will never live in.

mustang84    12

I don't know, I'd say this one kicks some serious ass.

Posted Image

Who doesn't love Oklahoma?

I really like a lot of the older plates better from states like California, Nebraska, New York, etc. I like the California one they had in the 80s with the sun and the California script over it. I also like the New York one with the Statue of Liberty...the new one isn't distinctive enough, IMO.

But for new plates, the West has a lot of good ones. Idaho, Utah, Montana, Arizona, and Wyoming, and Kansas all have some pretty neat ones.

Iowa's isn't too bad...I like how the silhouette of a city skyline is in the background.

Posted Image

Much better than this beast we had for 10 years

Posted Image

trinacriabob    21

Iowa's isn't too bad...I like how the silhouette of a city skyline is in the background.

Posted Image

204751[/snapback]

Bingo. And Nevada's was much like that....a desertscape in the backgroud that was very muted, carrying familiar cues: the bighorn sheep, the rocks, the desert trees, etc. just like Iowa's has a silo. And Nevada's wall ALL silver which made it look distinctive.

I like some of the newer plates, but not the overly colored tacky ones.

Charger4U    0

south dakotas (where i live) is boring,

Posted Image

i love montanas

Posted Image

and my favorite is nevada's

Posted Image

Halo    0

Kentucky has about a million diffrent licence plates. Right now thier most popular have these little holographic lines on them. Well, at least thats what I mostly see.

trinacriabob    21

and my favorite is nevada's

Posted Image

204787[/snapback]

No, sir. Since when does Nevada have a YELLOW sky...can you dig up the Big Horn design and post it? THAT ONE was beautiful. I think they still feature it as an extra-cost personalized option.

mustang84    12

This one?

Posted Image

Justin Bimmer    138

I like the plain blue and white Michigan plates.... something about them just says "automotive industry" Kinda like the truck I'm driving now.... you see a new vehicle with michigan plates out of the state of MI and you think "Corporate car or truck"

trinacriabob    21

This one?

Posted Image

204848[/snapback]

YES!

That was the best plate ever for the Western style lettering (seen at the welcome signs at the state line), the color gradations, the theme and the overall balance, don't you agree? And what looks white is actually a very light shade of silver/gray.

Sure is better than the yellow sky one called "the Sunset Plate."

THANKS, Mustang.

Edited by trinacriabob

HarleyEarl    1

In Canada, there are 10 provinces and 3 territories. One of the most unusual plates anywhere has to be our Northwest Territories plate in the shape of a bear:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

Kentucky had some f@#king terrible plate designs three years ago.

Posted Image

God damn, they look like they were designed by a team of pre-schoolers watching the f@#king Teletubbies. :banghead:

It was sort of funny, though, because people would buy stickers of the face frowning or grinding it's teeth and stick them over the smiley face.

We chose the following deisgn to circumvent the above one on our Impala.

Posted Image

trinacriabob    21

Kentucky had some f@#king terrible plate designs three years ago.

204874[/snapback]

Horrible...both of them. What does a tiger have to do with Kentucky?

HarleyEarl    1

Horrible...both of them.  What does a tiger have to do with Kentucky?

204883[/snapback]

Isn't that a bobcat or Lynx?

Edited by HarleyEarl

trinacriabob    21

I like these vintage California plates, this one and the earlier black version. 

Posted Image

204878[/snapback]

I do like that one. I don't like the black that preceded it.

I still wish it would have sported "Golden State" underneath...but I don't think state nicknames and cute stuff were part of the picture when these plates were around.

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

Horrible...both of them.

Hey, hey, hey. Don't rub it in. <_<:D

What does a tiger have to do with Kentucky?

It's actually supposed to a lynx or a wildcat. The main college sports team in KY is the UK Wildcats (football and basketball mostly; there's also the Louisville Cardinals but that's besides the point), so I guess they made it as a reference to them. We're not big fans of that team, though. (No one in our household is big sports nuts, anyway.) We just selected the design because it beat the &#036;h&#33; out of the main-dish design.

This is the new design, by the way. People hated the standard design so much, they changed it. It's a little bland, but so, so, so, so much better.

Posted Image

I hate our state slogan, though. It makes me think sometimes that the stigma this state mostly carries is actually justified.

Overall, though, Kentucky can't make a license plate design worth the steel it's stamped out of. <_<

trinacriabob    21

Posted Image

I hate our state slogan, though.

204889[/snapback]

Much cleaner. I would have never made the association with Cardinals and Wildcats...both of those are duped at so many schools...Huskies are at both UW Seattle and U Conn. I don't think the slogan is that bad...it's actually decent.

Guest YellowJacket894   
Guest YellowJacket894

Eh, it sounds cheesy to me.

But I guess it's better than "It's That Friendly." God, that slogan was bad.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Charger4U    0

YES!

That was the best plate ever for the Western style lettering (seen at the welcome signs at the state line), the color gradations, the theme and the overall balance, don't you agree?  And what looks white is actually a very light shade of silver/gray.

Sure is better than the yellow sky one called "the Sunset Plate."

THANKS, Mustang.

204852[/snapback]

That silver gray one is hideous! when i lived in vegas the sky was pretty damn sunny and yellow! :)

Satty    338

I saw a Northwest Territory plate on an Expedition a couple months ago. Looked pretty cool, I wish unique designs like that would come around more often.

Cory Wolfe    263

I like these vintage California plates, this one and the earlier black version. 

Posted Image

204878[/snapback]

Those look way too much like PA's old plates...

Posted Image

--------

The vintage style:

Posted Image

I like the PA plates that came after with its shape stamped into them:

Posted Image

More...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The current ones arent bad... but they're bland:

Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this