Recalls: Toyota vs. GM for 2006

NOS2006

Holy $h!, this kid is bothering the **** out of me. I said something about GM making a comeback within the next 3-4 years (because he noticed me on a GM site) and he contradicted it saying they've said that the last 30 years. Actually, they haven't.

And, so, he says, "Fine, then what do you think GM is doing that Toyota isn't?" And I told him that GM's quality and the perception of GM are both off-base and not good enough.

"Yeah, you're right.. and they're not going to fix it."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because they never have. They've always had stuff wrong with their products."

"Well watch in the next 3-4 years and they'll prove you wrong."

"Well it's not just their designs that suck, it's their engineering and everything. *we start talking about the Camaro concept* That's going to have a terrible, unreliable transmission. GM is notorious for that."

"Actually, no, that transmission is not a GM transmission and is used by many manufacturers in high-performance applications (talking about the T56)"

"Well then what about the differential? I'm sure that will blow out."

"I don't know what the differential will be though, so that's unfair. The concept's differential was off of the CTS and it won't necessarily be the same differential in the production version."

"See, I told you! And they're going to have bad transmissions because GM has always had bad transmissions."

"No, actually, GM has great transmissions. Name one bad transmission."

"Back in the 70s..."

"No, that's totally irrelevant. This is 30 years later, dumbass. Technology is nothing compared to the 70s."

Then we got into recalls and he said GM has many more recalls than Toyota. I asked for when he was talking about.. before or this year? And he said even this year GM was way more recalls than Toyota because Toyota hardly has any. So, now I ask this question..

Having worked in a GM dealership, I can say when GM has a recall, it's something like the circuit board on the GMT-360's taillights needing replacement , or a few bolts needing to be replaced on the 3800's throttle body (both 5 minute jobs at most) . When Toyota has a recall, it is because they cheaped out on a safety item intermediate steering shafts or belt buckles. It's not the number of recalls that matters, it's the parts they affect.

207947[/snapback]

The screws on the throttle body plenum was a farce recall I'm sorry. It was really a way for the the mechanics to inspect the gaskets on the intake plenum to see if they were leaking like so many of the 3800s were.

It just pisses me off that Davis Pontiac/Buick/GMC tried to screw me out of major money by lieing to me.

Ask him to name you 3 Toyota's that have style and are fun to drive. I bet he can't name two.

208027[/snapback]

Oh, no, that's another thing. One of his first points was that some Toyota car was faster than any production GM vehicle ever produced, which really proved nothing to me. But, who knows.

Oh, no, that's another thing. One of his first points was that some Toyota car was faster than any production GM vehicle ever produced, which really proved nothing to me. But, who knows.

208033[/snapback]

Maybe a racecar :P

I suppose there are twin-turbo Supras out there that are faster than the Z06, but not stock for stock.

Maybe a racecar  :P

I suppose there are twin-turbo Supras out there that are faster than the Z06, but not stock for stock.

208035[/snapback]

Yeah, well I didn't say anything after he said that and he kept on with it saying, "Oh yeah, the Z06 is nothing compared to this. Yeah, that's right. This makes the Z06 slow." I just told him that the Corvette's getting a higher-end model that's going to be kickass, that's all.

Yeah, well I didn't say anything after he said that and he kept on with it saying, "Oh yeah, the Z06 is nothing compared to this. Yeah, that's right. This makes the Z06 slow." I just told him that the Corvette's getting a higher-end model that's going to be kickass, that's all.

208037[/snapback]

Maybe he was talking about the Lexus supercar that's coming, but I wouldn't bet on it being faster than the Z06.

Maybe he was talking about the Lexus supercar that's coming, but I wouldn't bet on it being faster than the Z06.

208039[/snapback]

No, I know it wasn't a Lexus, he said Toyota "street car" or something like that. IDK what he's talking about.

Anyway, any numbers on recalls for me to prove him stupid?

Maybe a racecar  :P

208035[/snapback]

And if this car happens to exist, (which it likely doesn't) he should know on a dollar for dollar basis, the Corvette would likely stomp it.

You also ought to remind him that Toyota's once used and copied GM engines, so that's gotta mean something.

Either way, he needs a brain enema. Tell him that.

The number of recalls are probably posted on Autonews somewhere in the Data Center, but I don't have my subscription anymore.

Ask him to name you 3 Toyota's that have style and are fun to drive. I bet he can't name two.

208027[/snapback]

new ones, nah, but the mr2's can be fun, maybe some celicas or supras...?

The number of recalls are probably posted on Autonews somewhere in the Data Center, but I don't have my subscription anymore.

208027[/snapback]

new ones, nah, but the mr2's can be fun, maybe some celicas or supras...?

208027[/snapback]

Toyota? Nope. Lexus maybe, but Toyota doesn't have anything. Celica is gone, Supra is gone, MR2 is gone. Replaced by what, the Scion tC? They even dropped the Corolla S model apparently. Toyota's current lineup is about as boring as they get.

BMW used GM trannies. So if they're so bad why would the poster child for the import crowd use a GM transmission? Go ask your classmate that one.

208400[/snapback]

BMW, Jaguar, Range River, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Ferrari etc. have all used GM transmissions in the past and did so for many years. As best as I recall, GM automatic transmissions were one of the few things that were universally admired in the past as being the best in the industry. The only complaint is that in recent years GM has been slow to introduce 5-speed autos (even though everyone else still uses 4-speeds in many models).

For 2006:

GM

1. Potential leak of power steering fluid.

2. Substandard power steering hose.

3. Incorrect tire loading information.

4. No low fuel warning.

5. Electronic throttle control (no backup speed limitation in the event of an ECM failure).

6. Potential fuel leak

7. Brake lamps

8. Roof panel separation

9. Seat belt latching

10. seat belt anchorage mislocated

11. Wrong spare wheel size information.

12. Steering

(Here's a hint—never buy replacement lights for a Chevrolet Denali)

Toyota

1. Insufficient airbag deployment.

2. Seatbelts

3. Stuck accelerator pedal

4. loose carpet intering with accelerator

5. Wrong spare wheel size information.

6. Steering.

7. Wind deflector shattering

8. Tire bead damage