Chevrolet Impala wins back to back titles

SoCalCTS

Fleet Central news release

[/b]Chevrolet Impala Earns Back-to-Back Fleet Car of the Year Awards

Posted Image

Bob Brown, associate publisher, Bobit Business Media (right), presented the 2007 Fleet Car of the Year award to Bill Gibson, GM director, fleet & commercial sales (left), and Ed Peper, GM, Chevrolet.

December 12, 2006

TORRANCE, CA – One year after the completely redesigned 2006 Chevrolet Impala captured the Fleet Car of the Year award, the 2007 Impala again was chosen the industry’s most popular car in an annual award program sponsored by Automotive Fleet and Business Fleet magazines. Fleet professionals selected the mid-size sedan from a record field of 61 domestic and import-badged nominees. Votes were cast online via AF’s Web site, www.fleet-central.com.

Chief among the Impala’s fleet-popular attributes are flexibility, safety features, interior roominess, “timeless” design, engine selection, and the driving experience, according to Rob Minton, communications manager for GM Fleet & Commercial Operations.

A standard feature on LTZ and SS models and available on the LT version, the rear seats fold flat into the floor, providing 18.6 cubic feet of cargo room and 123.1 cubit feet of interior volume.

New for 2007, a 3.9L V-6 engine features GM’s first V-6 application of Active Fuel Management, which seamlessly allows the vehicle to run on half its cylinders in low-demand situations, improving fuel economy by up to 8 percent.

Standard on the LTZ and available with the LT, the 3.9L engine uses variable valve timing and a variable-length intake manifold to help produce 233 horsepower and 240-lb.-ft torque. A 3.5L V-6 is standard on Impala LT models, delivering 211 horsepower and 214-lb-ft. torque. A Flex-Fuel version of the 3.5L engine is compatible with E-85 ethanol fuel.

All Impala engines are matched with the Hydra-Matic 4T65 electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission. The Impala also offers several safety and security features, including standard front seatbelt pretensioners and front dual-stage and side-curtain airbags. The 2007 Impala received Five-Star ratings from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for frontal and side-impact crashes.

Impala models are equipped with OnStar capability and new in the 2007-model year is the available 7.0 Generation OnStar with Turn-by-Turn navigation. GM’s Advanced Automatic Crash Notification system, another OnStar service, is also available on the 2007 Impala.

So even though it isn't good to be considered a "fleet car", there must be plenty of attributes (aside from blandish styling) to the car to make it useful and poplular enough to give to anyone. Hmm, give. Literally worthy to give the car out? Lol. Just a silly musing there.

Well, the key factors are right here:

Chief among the Impala’s fleet-popular attributes are flexibility, safety features, interior roominess, “timeless” design, engine selection, and the driving experience, according to Rob Minton, communications manager for GM Fleet & Commercial Operations.

So it's a good thing. Except for the whole "timeless" design thing, which is basically just another way of saying this car is boring looking.

True on all counts.

The thing about the current Impala is that although I would drive one, I wouldn't buy one with my own income.

True on all counts.

The thing about the current Impala is that although I would drive one, I wouldn't buy one with my own income.

228304[/snapback]

Exactly, nice car but lacks aspirational attributes. I can't wait to see the NG Impala. I sure hope a concept is at NAIAS this coming year.

Work near the airport in Vegas, and I see allot of these as rentals. Actually I really like the LTZ, and even the SS. My in-laws had an LTZ when they visited, and I tried it out. Really impressed, and sorry, I actually love the styling. keep in mind I am a fan of FWD, so shoot me. :deadhorse:

Edited by ketch

This Impala is a big success. It's selling for thousands more than the old impala, they have limited production so they don't have to big incentives, and - this is a decent looking family car. They couldn't have done better with a limited money W body update so kudos to Bob Lutz again for doing what he could do with next to no money.

This is one of those cars that does not shout but does its job real well. It's ideal for someone who wants tasteful and reliable transportation but does not need to make a statement in the process. I think it's a nice car, having rented about a handful...and that 3.5 highway gas mileage...why on God's green earth would one buy a Cam-cord if you can have that much comfort with such fuel efficiency? However, from certain vantage points, the thickness of the "roof rail" disturbs me. It would need to be a little more svelte to work better with the rest of the car (I don't remember it being as thick on the immediately preceding model...just look to "scharm's" sig. for confirmation).

This is one of those GM cars that I want to really like but after spending time with a few rentals have some reservations. Many GMisims surfaced there ugly heads but there were some surprises too. The things that annoy me are the rock hard seats, lack of shift indicators on the floor console, no glovebox light, having to pay extra for split folding rear seats on both LS and LT models and the noise of the V6 engines. Lack of the previously available dark blue interior really sucked as does the reduction in hp for the 2007 3900 and cost cutting by eliminating the drivers side rear seat map pocket for the lower end 07 versions. Carping aside, I did like the ride and handling compromise, front seat room and trunk space and both the 3500 and 3900 provide plenty of power(especially the 2006 version of the 3900). The LT3-3900 provides the best value in this line.

The things that annoy me are the rock hard seats, lack of shift indicators on the floor console, no glovebox light, having to pay extra for split folding rear seats on both LS and LT models and the noise of the V6 engines. Lack of the previously available dark blue interior really sucked

228667[/snapback]

You don't miss much, do you, ponch?

Right on, the lack of lighting on the console must have been decided by someone with an IQ of 59...that is an outright mistake! And none in the glovebox, either?It's this kind of mindless stupidity that gets people pissed off at GM's lack of sense, sometimes. And, about the (dark) blue interior, I couldn't agree with you more. At least 1 or 2 non-bland interior color choices should return and there's volume to justify it in lines such as Impala.

I do disagree on the seats. The ones I've driven were ok....not great, but ok.

I'm perfectly ok with the 3500 on this car because of the 31 to 32 mpg highway figure. What a package for the money.

Some more good news, I think: one of the domestic-hating Toronto Star's writers, Jil MacIntosh, just voted the Impala as her pick for the best car she'd like to see under her tree this Xmas. She cited its great value, decent handling and ride as being the pluses. Truly, most people that have driven this car like it. We can nitpick all day, but for the price this is an amazing value. In our area, it is selling well and has slaughtered the Malibu's sales. Yes, the 3.5 is not a race car, but that is why you have 3 engines to choose from. Take that, Toyota. For MOST people, the 3.5 is fine. At the end of the day, the absence or presence of things like ABS, split rear seat, etc. all boils down to cost and somebody just having to make a decision; otherwise, the car would cost a fortune to build.

I, for one, feel the interior is very clean and understated. I mean, really: who looks at the shifter display on the console after the first week of driving it? Most people drive by feel as they shift into P or D. I like the clean look of the console without the crappy markings; besides, they're on the dash if ya need 'em! I doubt anyone uses the fold down rear seat - the trunk is so deep and massive! This car has a lot of very useful features and is a couple grand cheaper than a 4 cylinder Camry. If people stop sipping their Japanese kool aid long enough to actually drive this car, they would be very pleasantly surprised.

Where's that picture with Dieter on that plasic Vac-U machine making Chrysler interiors when we need it?

That would be funny to see. But I $h! you not. I sat in an LTZ Impala and an R/T Charger at a recent auto show...while I think I prefer the design of the Implala's interior...the plastics are almost all hard...the Charger has more soft surfaces...plus it comes with a Nav system...and it's RWD...yeah...

But congrats to the Impala on being the Queen Fleet Whore!

Edited by Dodgefan

Now let's be clear, dears, that there are two types of fleet sales, one good and one "bad." The "good" sales are to big companies, like Coca Cola, McDonald's, etc. to their regional managers, etc. This type of sale is more like a lease and can result in good word of mouth. These cars are often high mileage and can be driven for up to a couple years. The "bad" sales are to the rental companies because these tend to be enmass (often hundreds of vehicles at at time) and because they are often auctioned back in 5 to 8 months, thus destroying resale value of the current model.

At a recent meeting with local managers, we were sternly warned that the good old days of being able to have dozens of current model year Malibus, Impalas and Uplanders on our lot are over.

We have beaten this subject to death in the past and most agree that sales to rental fleets is a double edged sword. Although it would be suicide to get out of the rental business, I say let Hyundah capture this market for now - their resale is in the toilet anyway.