When in Rome...

In case anyone has been wondering why I have been silently absent during what is probably the most exciting time in the auto industry, my excuse is that I am in Rome and have had no internet access for the last week. In fact, today was the first chance I've had to log onto C&G and I was like a baby in a candy store on Christmas seeing all these auto show unveilings and updated models for 2008.

I'll be here for the next four months, so depending on the wireless connection here in studio, I may not be posting much. But I'll try to keep you guys updated with some of the things I experience and post some pics every once in a while.

So for now, here's a few of the best pics I've taken (almost 300 so far...need to slow down before my hard drive beats me) of Rome.

And btw, about the cars there, it's cool to see the cars like the Opel Astra that are coming as Saturns. They look good. Lancias and Alfa Romeo's also look cool. Haven't seen one Ferrari or Lamborghini yet, however. Quite a few Ford Focuses, Fiestas, and C-Maxes...Chevrolet has a Matiz over there, but that's it for GMNA brands. Saw a few Rovers and a Chrysler Magnum.

Anyway, Ciao!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wooo-hoooo!

Glad you posted! Pretty amazing place, huh? Not too many overweight women, at least under 40, anyway...see "the link" to Montreal now?

I see you've already hit the Colosseum, the Imperial Forum and Piazza Navona. Hey, next time in Piazza Navona, I think there's an ice cream place a little off to the side called "Gelateria Navona" which has some great flavors like peach, strawberry.... off the Richter scale from what I recall...

So you took Lufthansa over, right? The big 747 sled in the sky (ORD-FRA) and I'll bet the Germanic service can be a little uptight...it sure as hell isn't Alitalia where you'll eat very well but get there late, in true Italian style.

I wish you the time of your life over there!

Edited by trinacriabob

Enjoy your stay in Rome, Mustang... it's truly an experience you'll never forget.

Where are you staying in Rome? If you get really hungry for some American food, near Piazza Barberini is a Planet Hollywood (on via Veneto).

Also, gotta find out where PisciaPiano (pissing on the floor) is... a small restaurant... best f'in food EVER! You'll recognize it by all the statues of angels taking a leak :AH-HA_wink:

Wow. That's beautiful, a bit many people, but lovely areas. The smart is cute.

I do want to view Europe personally in my future. My friends that went to Rome through the school our senior year absolutely loved it.

Hey Mustang,

Good to see you post. Enjoy your time over there. Lookin' forward to hearing more about it....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Finding out the hard way what freedom means" ... Baillie and the Boys ... 'Wilder Days'

Lucky bastard! I thought this thread was going to be about HBO's Rome

which is starting up its 2nd season this upcoming Sunday.

Have fun, take more photos. :)

Wooo-hoooo!

Glad you posted! Pretty amazing place, huh? Not too many overweight women, at least under 40, anyway...see "the link" to Montreal now?

I see you've already hit the Colosseum, the Imperial Forum and Piazza Navona. Hey, next time in Piazza Navona, I think there's an ice cream place a little off to the side called "Gelateria Navona" which has some great flavors like peach, strawberry.... off the Richter scale from what I recall...

So you took Lufthansa over, right? The big 747 sled in the sky (ORD-FRA) and I'll bet the Germanic service can be a little uptight...it sure as hell isn't Alitalia where you'll eat very well but get there late, in true Italian style.

I wish you the time of your life over there!

I'll check out that ice cream shop next time I'm there...I had gelato for the first time a few days ago, and it was gooood. I need to get another!

Lufthansa wasn't too bad from Frankfurt to Rome (although food for that stretch consisted of a hard bread cheese sandwich, a Kit Kat, and yogurt) but I was crowded on the way from Chicago to Frankfurt (middle aisle, middle seat, 6'4" and no leg room...oi!). But the food we got shortly out of Chicago was really good...some type of spicy chicken with rice and a raspberry cake thing. The roll of bread was hard as a rock though.

And when it rains here, it pours! I got caught in a downpour yesterday and was soaked within 5 minutes.

Enjoy your stay in Rome, Mustang... it's truly an experience you'll never forget.

Where are you staying in Rome? If you get really hungry for some American food, near Piazza Barberini is a Planet Hollywood (on via Veneto).

Also, gotta find out where PisciaPiano (pissing on the floor) is... a small restaurant... best f'in food EVER! You'll recognize it by all the statues of angels taking a leak :AH-HA_wink:

LOL, I'll have to check that out. I also heard from someone I left about the Planet Hollywood...they said they went there a couple times a month to get rid of the homesickness.

-------------------

I've been noticing that the undercover police here drive a lot of Alfa Romeo's and Lancia's...but the Carbinieri and Polizia regular patrols all drive Fiats. I love the look of the Lancia Thesis...almost like an Italian Bentley

(almost looks Korean in these pics, but it looks much better in person, especially in black)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the police and government officials drive these around a lot (bring it to the US!!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thesis....the name alone gives me the shudders

I know what you mean...

Today I got an e-mail about Swedish Institute's scholarships and I'm going to try and find out if there's a thesis-only scholarship for my Masters. That way I might be able to take a 9 or 10 months unpaid leave from my current job and work on my thesis while looking for permanent employment.

@ Mustang: Have fun!

Edited by ZL-1

Awesome pics .... thanks for sharing!

BTW, are you flying back into Chicago on your way back?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Never settle for the path of least resistance" ... Lee Ann Womack ... 'I Hope You Dance'