What is your next car purchase? revisited...

intrigued

A 308 would be nice, but this Morgan would make for a sweet ride, or a very interesting autocrosser.

We had an original Lotus Elan show up at one of our last autocrosses, it drives amazingly well. Lightweight older cars do drive very differently from modern cars.

...and while we are on the automotive equal of fantasy island, I'd take an MG-TC, please. One of my fathers friends had one when I was a boy. That is another car you just never forget.

Chris

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont get me started on the 240z, that has to be one of my 5 favorite designs ever. I was kinda pissed at Nissan when they came out with the 240Z concept but dind't bring it into production. It would have fit in their lineup under the 350Z perfectly, and would probably be a far better car than the S2000, Miata or Solstice.

I feel the same way. My short list right now...

Vintage-

1932-1938 early V8 Ford. I keep debating about a rat rod, a resto, a street rod, or whatever, but to me these cars are the genesis of hot rodding and I want to own one before I die.

240Z car, you gotta love a car that has won SCCA races over a 40 year period, looks like a mini Ferrari GTO or E-type, and just makes that great sound from its inline six.

Modern-GTI, MINI, Solstice. Or perhaps a TDI Jetta as a family car...and then a Solstice, MINI, or GTI.

I'd also love a Caterham or a Cobra Kit car, when I'm in a little different stage of life.

And I haven't given up on the Idea of a Camaro/Firebird or Mustang. Didn't get a chance to go look at that blue Firebird at Arena Motors, the kids eye appointments took longer than I thought they would and then they put those damned drops in my eyes when it came my turn to get my eye exam. I really didn't feel like driving a 300 HP RWD car in the rain with blurred vision...

I should be able to get there Tuesday before I take my son to scouts..

Chris

Orgasm, thy name is 240 It isn't perfect, but I'd take it in a heartbeat.

...it even comes with Panasport wheels and a rollbar.

The green color is great on it also. Yes, it's not perfect, but it would be just the right car to play with before you restored it.

Chris

That Thunderbird is sweet, its sister car (literally) is pink and lives here in Columbus, was one owner until 2007.

The 57 Ford is a great design, there is a retractable like that in that junkyard I keep telling Balthazar about.

Chris

Thinking about going back to a 91 Mercury Grand Marquis. I loved my last one.

There was a Grand Marquis on CL a week ago, it looked like it was in great shape. If I needed another fullsize RWD tank, I would have taken a serious look at it.

In other news, I guess one good part about having the flu (not me, the other one) is that it allows a full day to be wasted on calling and email every MINI dealership in America (ok, thats an exaggeration, but she talked to a lot and also watched just about every episode of The Hills thanks to Tivo) and nobody had what she wanted on the lot or coming in anytime soon. Looks like we're stuck in some sort of wacky order and wait forever deal.

Thinking about going back to a 91 Mercury Grand Marquis. I loved my last one.

They make a nice fullsized car. Finding one that hasn't been trashed may be another matter...

Chris

The dope who listed that Datsun 240Z on eBay misrepresented it as a 4-cylinder. :rolleyes:

An AIR COOLED, pref. 1960s Porsche 911 is high on my list of

must drive and would love to own cars of this lifetime.

I've driven a few 911s but sadly all have been H2O cooled.

Astra would be cheaper...but like I said...get one of each they are small.

Chris

I've driven both, there is a very good reason the Astra is cheaper. I may have found an alternative, there is no Volvo dealership closeby, but a road trip to take a hard look at a C30 might be in order.

When we bought the Prius, something that wasn't going to burst into flames (long story) was #1 on the list. Then we set a price limit and went from there, she became enamored with hybrids and it was pretty much set from there. I had other ideas, but they went in one ear and out the other. I honestly think she's just looking for the cool factor, and the Cooper definitely has that.

It would be great to get the Cooper and hold onto it for a very long time.

The Cooper is one of my fav. cars, and what I am pulling for in the Satty car search.

The Cooper will for sure drive way better than the Prius.

Chris

My brother in law bought an F-250 on like 42" or 44" tires on Ebay...and then drove it home from California to North Carolina...at 8 miles per gallon.

Chris

I want a monster truck.

For some reason 1970's Fords of all things look really good lifted with big lifts. Chevy's to me always looked better with a smaller lift.

Chris

Have you ever looked at the Collins Brothers Jeep website?

Satty, I think we have some of the same automotive DNA, we same to like the same cars.

If we had some sort of sustainable energy I would love to have a (pre-current generation) Wrangler.

Chris

Not just yes but hell yes. They built some cool trucks back in the 1950's also. The cool thing is the old dies were saved and a lot of the bodies of these are available repro.

Back when I was in the Classic Mustang Club one of our members had one of those Jeepster convertibles. That was a fun parade car. We used to do a lot of parades, and I lined up in the stang next to that thing several times.

God, I wish I still had my old Mustang, and I wish I had an old Jeep.

Chris

Satty, when I was a kid the guy who lived down the street had one just like that...but his was red with a dark tan top.

Nothing better on a sunny day than a Jeep...or a Miata...

Chris

Satty, when I was a kid the guy who lived down the street had one just like that...but his was red with a dark tan top.

Nothing better on a sunny day than a Jeep...or a Miata...

Chris

Yeah...a Merc 300CE with all the windows down and sunroof open isn't half bad either..this afternoon was beautiful...the kind of weather where I could almost love Arizona.

I do miss having a convertible, even if the one I had was a $h!pile. I explained to someone earlier that everytime I heard a funny noise or felt a bump while driving the Sebring, I'd look in my mirror to see if the transmission had fallen out.

That Saab is right here in Columbus!

My son and I put the convertible top down on the Miata tonight...al 24 degrees or whatever it was. With the heat on and both of us wearing coats, it was actually kind of a nice drive...amazing how everything from airplanes at the airport to train horns sounds so much better with cold air.

Not sure why sound seems to travel better/clearer with cold air but it does.

Moltar, I am kinda jealous of that big merc...when did you pick her up?

Chris

Depending on what my dealer tells me Monday I could be rolling in a 2008 G6 V6 or an Impala quite soon.

G6 V6 would be a sweet upgrade over the G5, Von.

Chris