What is your next car purchase? revisited...

intrigued

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time i see a Sky I want to run out and buy one. One day i guess i will go one Im hoping for maybe a refresh but i doubt it.

Gm is coming out with a whole new roadster in 2012, supposedly.

I want to see what they do with a follow up...

Chris

Check out this topic before you do it again :wink: http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/shade-tre...e-register.html

Well aware of it. None of the ones at work have had tailgates crack. Nor have any had camshafts explode, which I figured would have happened the first time I had to tow something.

The Mini may or may not have been ordered today, the dealer may or may not have been given a deposit. I'm not privy to the details, which can only mean something very bad.

Well aware of it. None of the ones at work have had tailgates crack. Nor have any had camshafts explode, which I figured would have happened the first time I had to tow something.

The Mini may or may not have been ordered today, the dealer may or may not have been given a deposit. I'm not privy to the details, which can only mean something very bad.

Maybe she bought a bike?

She was very cryptic, only saying that there was no longer a need to look for a car. I know we didn't get turned down for financing and I know her well enough to know she hasn't given up her Mini infatuation, so I'm thinking she did something ridiculous like order a fully loaded Cooper S instead of the modestly optioned Cooper we've been looking for.

I'm in lust over the MINI S. Why don't we just clone your S.O., Satty? While I'm married and too old to be her boyfriend I could probably adopt her (the clone) as my daughter.

She has my kinda taste in cars.

Chris

...and like I said before, now you need a Cobalt SS to go with it. (: (: (: I know that's not the plan, but to me I can't think of a better pair...

Chris

She was intrigued by the Clubman until she saw the back end. No matter what color combo I showed her, the response was always something along the lines of, "Thats hideous."

And the idea of cloning that thing frightens me.

And due to some stuff in the pipeline for 2010, I dont think we'll be buying another new car to augment whatever we may or may not be getting at some point in the near future. I would still like to get a 3rd car, something thats more manageable than the Buick, but which way we go with that will depend on a lot of other variables.

Edited by Satty

Well... Another Possibility popped up for the same price as an 08 G6. It's a 2006 Malibu LTZ Sedan with 20K kms just like this one:

8966691053.253315531.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.

8966691054.253315531.IM1.02.565x421_A.56

8966691057.253315531.IM1.05.565x421_A.56

8966691058.253315531.IM1.06.565x421_A.56

Sandstone Exterior, Cashmere Ultralux, 3.5L V6, Heated Seats, Power Pedals, 6 Disc Changer, Automatic Climate Control, Sunroof, ChromeTec Wheels, OnStar, XM...

I could certainly get more than used to this.

Yesterday I took the wife's G6 in to the dealership to have some service issues performed and fell in love with a brand new 2009 Pontiac G8 GT in Pacific Slate Metallic (PSM) with the Premium Trim Package and All-Season 18" Tire options (MSRP = $32,760). A salesman I was BS'n with (since my wife's salesman quit) did offer to let me drive it I wanted to, but seeing as how I have 11 monthly lease payments left on my AURA, no financing options available right now, and with the holidays approaching no deposit money ready, I passed. But I left there yesterday now knowing that if a G8 GT is in the cards for me in 2009, it will definitely be one in the PSM color and I think I'll be okay with the 18" rims (I still like the 19" rim design better, but need all-season tires for NJ's few snowdays). It looked similar to this one:

2006016292.jpg

Well... Another Possibility popped up for the same price as an 08 G6. It's a 2006 Malibu LTZ Sedan with 20K kms just like this one:

Oh man, seeing that interior just goes to remind me how far the new car has come in terms of design and quality, exterior too of course.

Yesterday I took the wife's G6 in to the dealership to have some service issues performed and fell in love with a brand new 2009 Pontiac G8 GT in Pacific Slate Metallic (PSM) with the Premium Trim Package and All-Season 18" Tire options (MSRP = $32,760). A salesman I was BS'n with (since my wife's salesman quit) did offer to let me drive it I wanted to, but seeing as how I have 11 monthly lease payments left on my AURA, no financing options available right now, and with the holidays approaching no deposit money ready, I passed. But I left there yesterday now knowing that if a G8 GT is in the cards for me in 2009, it will definitely be one in the PSM color and I think I'll be okay with the 18" rims (I still like the 19" rim design better, but need all-season tires for NJ's few snowdays). It looked similar to this one:

2006016292.jpg

That is a really nice shade of blue.

Wow, in that shade of blue...I'm pretty much tapped out at 22-24k for my next car, but if I could find a V6 G8 in that color for the mid twenties, I'd be tempted.

I'd love to have that in my driveway.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

If things go well at the new job it will either be a Mini Cooper S, a John Cooper Works Mini (211 hp DIN on a Mini sounds fun, hehe), or a Mini Crossman (believe it or not the idea of a compact, 4m-long crossover, sounds cool to me). If Saab survives and offers an Astra-sized car, I'll take a good look at it, but I am leaning towards another Mini precisely because GM and Saabs survival is on the line right now.

In any case, it's a decision to made in a couple of years.

Edited by ZL-1

8966691053.253315531.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.

8966691054.253315531.IM1.02.565x421_A.56

8966691058.253315531.IM1.06.565x421_A.56

Sandstone Exterior, Cashmere Ultralux, 3.5L V6, Heated Seats, Power Pedals, 6 Disc Changer, Automatic Climate Control, Sunroof, ChromeTec Wheels, OnStar, XM...

I could certainly get more than used to this.

Even being tan (not a huge fan of that color) it is a good looking car.....

And the heated seats and sunroof helps too....

The wife's GP has about 91K on it. I really want to replace it but it's very unlikely before the end of '09. What would follow it up, I have no idea at this point. She'd love another Mustang, but it's too small.

My 2500HD is just broken in w/ 73K on the clock- I expect to keep it at least thru '16 (that's be 10 years with me).

Funny, my grandfather used to buy every 3-5 years, and my father keeps his cars over 10 years, which always seemed 'boring' to me. Not sure how gramps did it on his salary. Dad could easily swing the same replacement schedule- but I guess it's not his thing. Me- I'm repulsed by the depreciation of a new car purchase.

Are we getting the passenger version of the Transit Connect, or just the commercial version? It's so dorky cool, it's ridiculous.

Yesterday morning I had to drive an '08 Shelby GT500 to the local Ford/SVT dealer for diagnosis of a vibration after a minor accident. That thing is a beast, and I mean that in a good and bad way. Driving back in a Milan Premier V6 was like night and day. The Milan is a very refined car, imo. The '10 Fusion/Milan 2.5L/six speed manual sounds really good... I just cannot fathom buying a four door car. I wish there were a coupe version.

Edited by ocnblu

Are we getting the passenger version of the Transit Connect, or just the commercial version? It's so dorky cool, it's ridiculous.

ocn, when I attended my local Ford dealer's "intro night" of the 2009 Ford F150 and 2010 Ford Transit Connect, I did ask if a passenger model will be available and I was told "yes". But then another salesman stated that just meant that a rear bench seat would be installed! So I'm sure you'll be able to find them equipped for passenger use somewhere out there.

Well that Malibu I was looking at has sold... so I'm back to square one. I just hope I hear something from my dealer sooner rather than later. It's getting really frustrating because I don't want to fill my car with gas because I don't want to burn the money if they do take some action (I'd assume they will)

That leaves "on my radar":

2008 G6 SE V6, Blue Gold Crystal, 12K Kms (7500miles), $13'988

15347.jpg

15347_3.jpg

2008 Grand Prix, Liquid Silver Metallic, 18K Kms (11K miles), $14'988

15672_2.jpg

15672_3.jpg

Well that Malibu I was looking at has sold... so I'm back to square one. I just hope I hear something from my dealer sooner rather than later. It's getting really frustrating because I don't want to fill my car with gas because I don't want to burn the money if they do take some action (I'd assume they will)

15347.jpg

15347_3.jpg

15672_2.jpg

15672_3.jpg

I like it!~

Chris

My bad, should haved said I like "them"

I MUCH prefer the G6.

Both are nice though, and I hate to prejudice your decision if you like the other car better.

But IMHO the G6!

Chris

Yesterday morning I had to drive an '08 Shelby GT500 to the local Ford/SVT dealer for diagnosis of a vibration after a minor accident. That thing is a beast, and I mean that in a good and bad way. Driving back in a Milan Premier V6 was like night and day. The Milan is a very refined car, imo. The '10 Fusion/Milan 2.5L/six speed manual sounds really good... I just cannot fathom buying a four door car. I wish there were a coupe version.

the transit connect is weird enough that i would consider one.

the 010 milanfusion manual has me intrigued. makes me wonder if i shouldnt delay any action on my astra. i really don't like the current fusion but i have driven the 09 escape with the new powertrain, although that's a 5 speed.

Edited by regfootball

GM truck guy:

That G8 gives me a boner. :lovey:

See now I'd kill for a DHS like he has...

its fine as a cruiser. it excels in that regard. but my taurus x is faster, handles better even. no crossover should handle better than a cadillac.

that northstar doesn't have much kick under the hood, either that or the 4 speed tranny is a real hindrance to whatever its got.

My money's on the transmission being the weak point, also his engine could be all carboned up, which is a common problem with the N* (it gets carboned real easy). Give it a good flogging on the Hwy with some foot to the floor action (up to about 80MPH), it should blow the carbon out of the engine after which you'll notice way more "oomph" and better fuel economy.

That is true of the Northstars. It is a high performance engine put into a car that 99% of the time gets driven no faster than a golf cart, due to the customer base. You should take it out and flog it for him, get those cobwebs out.

That is true of the Northstars. It is a high performance engine put into a car that 99% of the time gets driven no faster than a golf cart, due to the customer base. You should take it out and flog it for him, get those cobwebs out.

I remember the "first ride in" my friend's new 25k mile doctor owned '97 Deville Northstar last Thanksgiving and telling him that and why.

Went to leave a parking lot and he just dropped it "like this?", and it sung. It was brief but at least he now knows...then again, a 22 year old with a Northstar should have no trouble at this, even if it is the pampered garage queen still.

That was my first ride in a FWD Cadillac of that gen and back at the time I still had my Fleetwood...liked it, but nothing special. Just felt like a 90's American luxury car, no more, no less.

Didn't you just buy the G5?

Edited by Dodgefan

Didn't you just buy the G5?

Loooong story... But I'm looking at getting rid of the G5 in light of what happened with those safety features the car was supposed to be equipped though didn't have. The dealer seemed pretty strong on making right what they screwed up and said they'd look at the used lot to see if anything there works for a replacement... Still haven't heard from them but mind you even if they don't decide to help the prices of the GP and G6 at our Dealer are about the same price as I could get selling my G5, so I may even go ahead without the dealer.

Loooong story... But I'm looking at getting rid of the G5 in light of what happened with those safety features the car was supposed to be equipped though didn't have. The dealer seemed pretty strong on making right what they screwed up and said they'd look at the used lot to see if anything there works for a replacement... Still haven't heard from them but mind you even if they don't decide to help the prices of the GP and G6 at our Dealer are about the same price as I could get selling my G5, so I may even go ahead without the dealer.

Gotcha.

maybe so, but the SLOOOOWWWWW 4 speed tranny and boat anchor weight on the front end in particular gives it the handling prowess of a snow plow in addition to the heft and feel of a loaded beet truck.

translation, an 08 taurus fwd will wax it, i am fully convinced. 0-60 and at passing speeds.

Edited by regfootball

Got the details of what she ordered:

2009 Cooper

6-Speed manual

16" white wheels

Lightning Blue/White roof/mirrors (when push came to shove, she just couldn't do yellow :( )

Black leather/JCW Carbon Fiber dash/shift knob

10-speaker sound

Premium Package (sunroof/auto AC/leather steering wheel)

Cold Weather (heated seats/mirrors/washer jets)

Convenience Plus (rain sensing wiper/auto-dim mirror/armrest/iPod connection/garage door opener)

Traction Control

Xenon headlights/fog lights

Navigation (no, I dont know why)

Driving lights (YAY!)

Checkerboard sunroof graphic

GM truck guy:

That G8 gives me a boner. :lovey:

THe G8 is growing on my on a daily basis. Pontiac just builds such cool V8 cars. I saw a yellow GTO (modern 2004/2205) the other day :wub::wub::wub::wub:

God, I want a V8 car back in the fleet again. Sixty Eight, do you think we could rob a bank and perhaps buy the Pontiac Wagon that Camino just posted???

Chris

Got the details of what she ordered:

2009 Cooper

6-Speed manual

16" white wheels

Lightning Blue/White roof/mirrors (when push came to shove, she just couldn't do yellow :( )

Black leather/JCW Carbon Fiber dash/shift knob

10-speaker sound

Premium Package (sunroof/auto AC/leather steering wheel)

Cold Weather (heated seats/mirrors/washer jets)

Convenience Plus (rain sensing wiper/auto-dim mirror/armrest/iPod connection/garage door opener)

Traction Control

Xenon headlights/fog lights

Navigation (no, I dont know why)

Driving lights (YAY!)

Checkerboard sunroof graphic

I'd prefer it without the sunroof...but yes, one of my top 5 modern cars, for sure.

Right now I want to have a three car fleet-1 Japanese car, 1 American car, one Euro car.

Chris

I'm just the opposite, the checkerboard is the must have. Although the Union Jack is cool also.

If I were Canadian, I'd put the Canadian flag on the roof....

Chris

Hey, vonVeezelsnider, I think about you, Carbiz, Harley Earl, and all of the other Canadian posters here every time I go to a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey game and see the Canadan flag. (assuming we're playing a Canadian team)

...and then I cuss the Canadians when we have our ass handed to us. Actually, we are improving....slowly.

Chris