What is your next car purchase? revisited...

intrigued

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm on board with "the rules" now, camino.

Answer: Mercury Milan with 4 banger, white, cloth interior in some TBD color, wood trim over metallic accents on dash, alloy wheels.

I was at Borders the other night and was leafing through Consumer Reports. The Fusion/Milan garnered a lot of praise and also fared well in the component-by-component ratings.

Hmm....

Well, if I go the "real new" route; (not likely now that the economy has taken a sh*t --- I'm not that crazy about taking on debt now) probably a Camaro SS, HHR SS or G8 GXP.

If I were to go the "new" route (meaning newER car) I'd be looking hard at 00-ish Mustangs, a few GTOs or that oh so evasive 2002 WS6 Trans Am that I've always wanted. Or I could cheap out and get a nice, used 3 door SVT Focus and mod the hell out of it.

The GF and I actually pondered very hard (and test drove) an 04 MACH 1 to replace her Cavy. It was a beautiful car, black on black leather, stick, Mach audio, after market exhaust with an H pipe. Only 70,000 miles. But we decided that it wasn't a good idea for her to have a car payment while still in Architecture school, so she bought another Cavy instead. (It's a nice car tho)

If I were to go the "old" route, there is no telling... I've always wanted a '67 Chevelle or GTO. I'm meant to have a '68 Firebird. I really want a 59-62 Cadillac, Buick or Impala (or all three) maybe a C2 or C3 Corvette. 68-69-ish Mustang fastback. A '69 Charger... Hell, this list could go on forever.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Yummmm.....

2009.honda.accord.20239502-E.jpg

2009.honda.accord.20248830-E.jpg

This is enough to make me move on the bus line. Ughhh. I know a lot of people here like the Accord coupe, but this is just horrible IMHO.

But there is no accounting for taste, as I do like the Fit quite well, thank you.

Chris

hmmm...I've had the same thoughts, Viper. We had a real nice red one here that was low mile and pristine. If it hadn't been autotrajic I think I would have jumpd on it.

Chris

I may have just found a deal on a '73 Beetle thats too good to pass up. If I buy it, I wont own it very long, but it'll stay in the family.

A quick follow-up to this. If you're selling a car thats prone to having the bottom rust out, and someone emails you asking if the bottom has rusted out, dont tell them no when in reality it has. Because then they'll drive out to the middle of nowhere to look at it and discover that the bottom has rusted out and be pretty pissed.

At least for the past few weeks and still today...a Pontiac G8 GT.

Always loved them, and had the chance for a V6 model before getting the Malibu, but the interior, smoothness, better economy, etc. of the Malibu made it win out. Then I finally drove a GT (certified '08 with 10k) at a local Chevy dealer 2 weeks back...and loaded to the gills, 3k miles and all, the Malibu started feeling less and less great to me. What a car.

If I held off, say, you know until my Malibu lease ends, I'd probably go Camaro--beautiful Zeta bones, but a coupe (which I've missed, since my G6). Otherwise, who knows, maybe a G8 will show up sooner rather than later...maybe. It's always a struggle to keep my habitual car shopping (err..."I'm tired of this one...") addiction in check.

Edited by caddycruiser

When did you get a Malibu? Did you just buy a G6 Coupe?

Got the G6 the last day of June '08, but it was a 3 month saga of problems & repurchased...in came the Malibu I chose as it's replacement through GM, back in October.

i recall the v6 G8 being not so fun to drive. needed refinement. i hope the DI upgrade and revised tranny help.

I drove one when I was back & forth with the Malibu vs. a G8 and really liked how tank-like solid, planted, and roomy it was...but the V6 wasn't particularly entertaining and--as reviews have commented--oddly gruff in sound. The same V6 in a Malibu with the 6-speed was smoother, quieter, and peppier. Not bad, but not wow...I could have lived with it, though, perfectly well, I think.

G8 GT...it's a no brainer, it's only like 2k more than the V6 model anyway isn't it?

Precisely. I never "got it" until just having driven one, and it's not so much the power--although that is great--but the whole car feels actually quieter and smoother, too. A big hulking 6.0L underhood and it purrs as quietly as the V6, if not more so, in my Malibu. Then you stomp it and...hold on. The price difference is small, and hence the reason why the GT is the "wanted" one.

If it weren't for the well built but stark and rather plain all black interior and the, likely, lower gas mileage vs. a FWD Epsilon again, I would have gotten a G8 instead before, V6 and all. The Malibu is still nice enough that it made and still makes me waiver, though.

Got the G6 the last day of June '08, but it was a 3 month saga of problems & repurchased...in came the Malibu I chose as it's replacement through GM, back in October.

Precisely. I never "got it" until just having driven one, and it's not so much the power--although that is great--but the whole car feels actually quieter and smoother, too. A big hulking 6.0L underhood and it purrs as quietly as the V6, if not more so, in my Malibu. Then you stomp it and...hold on. The price difference is small, and hence the reason why the GT is the "wanted" one.

If it weren't for the well built but stark and rather plain all black interior and the, likely, lower gas mileage vs. a FWD Epsilon again, I would have gotten a G8 instead before, V6 and all. The Malibu is still nice enough that it made and still makes me waiver, though.

Ah, I don't know how missed that. I guess it's more proof that the G6 just isn't a quality car. Congrats on the Malibu then...even if it's a few months late. :P

The Malibu is indeed a nice car, it's not a pental box or anything. That being said the G8 does earn respectable fuel economy numbers, and the GT I sat in had a fine cabin. I like the cleanness of it...much better than Pontiacs of the 90's...or that G6. :P

PCS, just make sure they make enough that there are still plenty around 40 years from now when 68 has the funds to buy one.

I just hope there's enough so in a few years I can buy one.

So with that in mind...I'll add it to the possible list which has grown to 3. Depending on what the money situation is it will be either...

300M Limited

Magnum SXT AWD

G8 GT

I've always had a thing for the Magnum, and AWD would be a nice feature...because even though 2 wheels are fine for winter driving...4 is even better. Plus it came with a 5-speed auto.

CTS for sure, which one is now the problem ...

Aye, yes, MANY possibilities with that one...well, at least as far as choosing which humongous option package block, RWD/AWD, regular or DI 3.6L, manual/automatic, etc...hmm...

Better hurry little buddy ...

Seeing as how my SmartLease doesn't expire until November (and if all I get is a two-month pull-ahead offer so I get out in mid-August), if GMAC offers some good end-of-the-model year incentives, I will definitely look into a Pontiac G8 GT (if the 3.6 DI engine is out by then, maybe I will consider a non-GT too). But it all leans on how much I like the GMC Terrain when I see it in person at the NYIAS in April and if incentives on the Acadia/Enclave/OUTLOOK are good too. I prefer to have a CUV over a car, but I can't disagree that the Pontiac G8 GT is a car to own :yes:

Well, after seeing the 2010 Buick LaCrosse in person, I will be adding that to the "car" list now (at least until the official prices are announced!). It is a stunning car in person, and if you look at the styling lines, you see it has a unique design to it (for example, follow the sweep spear and it leads to the chrome trim in the taillight). The features alone are enough for me to like the car - HUD, extra ambient lighting, adaptive headlights, 19" rims (CXS), 3.6l V6 (CXS), etc.

• 2 months later...

Well, I was going to get a new Camaro, but decided for the price I could get an 09 Silverado instead so I did. I need a truck anyway for hauling wood and three fourwheelers, and driving in the snow. The GF (were engaged) now for her weve been looking at the new Malibu, Avenger, Focus, and certain things from Suzuki.

This is enough to make me move on the bus line. Ughhh. I know a lot of people here like the Accord coupe, but this is just horrible IMHO.

But there is no accounting for taste, as I do like the Fit quite well, thank you.

Chris

I saw one of those yesterday, and I think you have to be tasteless to drive one of those.

PCS, just make sure they make enough that there are still plenty around 40 years from now when 68 has the funds to buy one.

Hahahah!

Everyone laugh at 68 being a poor blue-collar worker with limited funds. :rolleyes:

I'll def. own one someday. And the catalytic converters will go MIA.

Hahahah!

Everyone laugh at 68 being a poor blue-collar worker with limited funds. :rolleyes:

Just save the converters for inspection. They'll last almost forever.

Don't fall for the blue-collar baiting which can occur here, infrequently, sometimes.

Edited by longtooth

I've been thinking about picking up a project car of some sort for the past two months. All I know is that the Millenia and Cutlass don't count. It'll be something new. :P

Firebirds, Fieros, Alfas, air-cooled VWs and old MGs have come to mind.

Edited by blackviper8891

I've been thinking about picking up a project car of some sort for the past two months. All I know is that the Millenia and Cutlass don't count. It'll be something new. :P

Firebirds, Fieros, Alfas, air-cooled VWs and old MGs have come to mind.

Alfas would be cool.... :scratchchin:

On May 2nd 2009: another MINI? An Alfa MiTo? Part of me would like to buy the upcoming MINI SUV, just because it borders on being nonsense to have a MINI SUV that shares nothing in concept to the old MINI Moke...

On May 2nd 2009: another MINI? An Alfa MiTo? Part of me would like to buy the upcoming MINI SUV, just because it borders on being nonsense to have a MINI SUV that shares nothing in concept to the old MINI Moke...

How about Fiat/Chrysler 500 Abarth, Ford Focus or Fiesta or the Kuga?

I still just want a new Camaro.

But, I have to admit that the Astra and G8 are very tempting, and they both give me thoughts of getting one to drive 'till the Camaro comes out.

Well, now I'm stuck between a new Camaro or a Golf TDI (obvious choice vs. being practical).

CTS-V. The color doesn't matter. Just how it's equipped.

If I had 65k to blow on a car, one would be in my driveway fo sho....unless I could come up with the extra cash for a Z-06.

Chris

Hahahah!

I'm a poor blue collar worker also. It was the blue collar boys who bought Z-28's, GTO's, Mach One Mustangs, Chevelles, et al back in the day.

Don't ever let them give you $h!, 68....

Chris :camarosmile:

I just hope there's enough so in a few years I can buy one.

So with that in mind...I'll add it to the possible list which has grown to 3. Depending on what the money situation is it will be either...

300M Limited

Magnum SXT AWD

G8 GT

I've always had a thing for the Magnum, and AWD would be a nice feature...because even though 2 wheels are fine for winter driving...4 is even better. Plus it came with a 5-speed auto.

Me, I'd be buying the 300 if I were you, DF.

Chris

How about Fiat/Chrysler 500 Abarth, Ford Focus or Fiesta or the Kuga?

The Kuga costs some 40K EUR here in Portugal: it's so overpriced that it's automatically out of consideration. The 500 Abarth's body kit is not to my liking, I prefer looks of the non-Abarth versions. Fiesta and Focus are very nice cars for their segments and I want to see the new Focus almost as much as I want to see the new Astra.

Not that I'm planning to trade my car, but it all points to staying with MINI.

Hahahah!

Thats what I am. I don't mind going to work at all as long as I can somehow manage to get what I want. I have a brand new pickup and a Z28 at 21 years old so I can't complain at all!

Thats what I am. I don't mind going to work at all as long as I can somehow manage to get what I want. I have a brand new pickup and a Z28 at 21 years old so I can't complain at all!

IMHO the best jobs are blue collar. I had a nice Cutlass when I was your age...

Chris