What is your next car purchase? revisited...

intrigued

Hey everyone. At kinda the mid point of teh auto show season I was wondering if anyone made any revisions to their plans for near future (or more distant for that matter) car purchases.

I had said I wanted to get the new CTS this coming fall. Well, scratch that. I love the new CTS. I think its great. But While I could easily afford a lightly optioned one with the base 3.6 at around 35k there is now way I can save up the money to buy a loaded 3.6 DI like I want without taking on payments which is a big no no for me as Ill be heading back to school full time next fall.

The Pontiac G8 was made for me it seams. Loaded it will likley come in at less than 35k. IT will have a v8 with considerably more hp and tourque than the DI 3.6. It will have the 6 speed auto. NAV, a great interior and is supposed to drive better than a BMW 5er according to the AU reviews. I love the looks and it fits my budget without compromising. I HATE buying cars without options I want just to afford it.

So anyone else change their minds since the autoshow season has started? I doubt I'll be the only one. We should revisit this one more time when the season is over...

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyone else change their minds since the autoshow season has started? I doubt I'll be the only one. We should revisit this one more time when the season is over...

I still just want a new Camaro.

But, I have to admit that the Astra and G8 are very tempting, and they both give me thoughts of getting one to drive 'till the Camaro comes out.

GXP?

Nope. I want a Club Sport model. Stick shift, all performance options (suspension system, LSD), no power options, just a CD player, a car, million of miles of headroom, and a long highway.

But if they offered that with the 2.0L Turbo DI, I'd have that.

I envision my Solstice to be a true Ultimate Driving Machine.

To replace the Avalanche: Another Avalanche, but this one a Z-71.

To replace the Corvette: Another Corvette, of course.

To replace the DTS: We're thinkin Acadia or SRX Sport Pkg.

Please wait 'til '08 on the 'Vette. Oh, and get an Acadia for sure. Avalanche sounds great though. Edited by NOS2006

I love the idea of the Astra, but would have to go with the 3-door, which would make a car seat more difficult, not to mention the loss of interior space from the Fusion, which I've already complained is a bit small for my needs. The Crewman would be great if it comes over, twould give me most the versatility I desire in a more efficient package than the Avalanche. Of cars available right now, I'd have to say that the 4-door Wrangler is inches ahead of the FJ Cruiser in my book.

After test driving the Acadia, I'm not sure anymore. I'll need to wait for the Buick version, or see a Chevy Lambda prior to deciding on something new.

Dsuupr, you didnt like the Acadia? OR you liked it so much that you want to see what else GM has coming out lambda wise?

I have to say I love the olf family pic with all the last generation Oldsmobile lined up. Reminds me that you were once known as Alero OSV here.

Retirement and the fact that my wife spends most of her money on her sons (who spend more than they make) force changes in my car buying.

My first change should be an 08 CTS (replacing the 03 CTS) in early 09, followed by an Acadia (replacing the 04 Trailblazer) about 2 years after that.

However, if I win the lottery, it'll be an 08 CTS this fall along with an Acadia, followed by a Vette roadster next spring.

I'm all over the map, and the list grows bigger with each new bit of info

NEW:

G8 (hopefully they eventually offer a manual on the V6, otherwise it'll be a V8)

Ute-based El Camino (if the rumors are true)

Camaro

next-gen Cobalt

Astra

HHR Panel

USED:

CTS w/ sport package

S10

SSR

Cobalt SS or SS/SC (without the wing)

Posted Image

A 1959 Buick sedan, kind of like this one except drivable and more

presentable, with rear door delete, decent brightwork & whitewalls.

Well, when the first thread started, I stated I was wanting to trade-in my '04 Malibu LT sedan for either an AURA or Lucerne, and in the middle of November I went with the AURA XE (XE was the wife's choice, I wanted the XR). That is being leased, so I know at some point in 2009 (Pull-Ahead programs baby!) I'll be in the market for its replacement. It's too far away to even start guessing, but not too far away for dreaming - so far I'd say the G8 is a contender, but also a Sierra SLE Z71 4wd Crew Cab too (I sat in one, equipped 98% how I want it, at the Philly Auto Show last week). Now next summer (August '08) our Envoy lease is up - so far the wife is interested in one of the Lambdas (Acadia is leading, Outlook isn't too far behind; however, I think the Enclave will be out of our price range and I'm not all that crazy for it as much as the other two) or quite possibly the all-new 2008 Saturn VUE (I'm liking the Redline). It has to be a family vehicle, and it has to offer 4WD/AWD as an option (my wife works 32 miles away from our home). So I don't think a car will be replacing the Envoy, nor my choice of the 2008 Sierra SLE Z71 4wd Crew Cab, but who knows!

I'm all over the map, and the list grows bigger with each new bit of info

Way different story here. I'm about to wrap up a night time Masters in mid-May while working 50 hrs. a week, will take the whole summer off in Europe and will buy a 2008 MY vehicle. I plan on switching jobs / careers when I get back, so I want about 4 or 5 years without having to as much as think about my vehicle. As such, I plan to snag one last and very familiar W-body...so here goes:

1. 2008 LaCrosse CX 3800 V6

If the 3800 is ditched in favor of the 3.6 OHC V6 and the front grille stays upright and oval, then:

2. 2008 Monte Carlo LT 3500 V6 or

3. 2008 Grand Prix 3800 V6

The last 2 would be tempting if there were super-duper incentives and a bump-up on my GM Card accumulation of $ 2,250.

Dsuupr, you didnt like the Acadia? OR you liked it so much that you want to see what else GM has coming out lambda wise?

I have to say I love the olf family pic with all the last generation Oldsmobile lined up. Reminds me that you were once known as Alero OSV here.

I liked it, but didn't love it as I had hoped. I'm hoping Chevy turns out a version with sliding doors that not so expensive. And maybe the price is what it's all about. For that price, other products (within GM) just seem like better answers for our family.

I'm sure if Oldsmobile offered something, it would fit our taste perfectly.

Edited by Dsuupr

Still working on buying that 1959 Buick... but first I need to sell the 1964 Olds.

Right now this is my driveway: (carports)

-1964 Oldsmobile Super 88 Holiday

-1984 Datsun 810 Maxima

-1997 Cadillac STS (will be parted out soon)

-1997 Infiniti Q45 (G/F)

And here's how I hope it looks in about a year:

-1930s Rat Rod

-1959 Buick LeSabre

-1977 Chevrolet Nova (250, 3-speed)

-1996 Chevy Impala SS (G/F)

3. 2008 Grand Prix 3800 V6

The last 2 would be tempting if there were super-duper incentives and a bump-up on my GM Card accumulation of $ 2,250.

2007 Grand Prix GT

• Supercharged 3800III
  • Astroroof
  • Leather power heated seats
  • Head-up display
  • Chrome wheels
  • 6,000 miles
$17000

They exist that way now. Enough incentive?

Haven't seen anything that I "gotta have" this auto show season. Leading choice at this time is a 2008/09 Impala LT3 (new) Precision Red, ebony cloth bench seat and silver dash trim, sunroof and spoiler delete (so I can add a SS spoiler)

close second would be a Lucerne (used, may spring for new only if they add six-speed auto and/or fold down back seat)

distant third would be an 08/09 Lacrosse (new, depending on if there is any facelift to non-super models or comes in "Precision Red"/"Crimson Red")

An alternate would be to get an 05 Bonneville SE to hold me over until I can trade up to a new 2011 Lucerne (or whatever the last model year for the FWD will be). ...which would carry me for another ten years or so until I'm forced into RWD or bucket seats.

...of course I plan on keeping my Impala for at least another year and a half, but I don't forsee many new alternatives that will fit my criteria.

The Alero will most likely be with us for another two years or longer, but my g/f has said she would like to replace it with a Grand Prix (used, obviously by that time). My tries to get her into an Aura have thus far proven unsucessful.

Guest YellowJacket894

My options are currently limited to something used.

• 1999 - 2001 Chevrolet S-10 Xtreme/Blazer Xtreme w/ 4.3 V6
  • 1998 - 2002 Dodge Dakota Reg. Cab w/ 4.7, 5.7, or 5.9 V8
  • Any 4th Generation F-Body, especially Firebird
  • 1998 - 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT or GTP
  • Classic Olds Aurora
Edited by YellowJacket894

This is a cool thread...

Hmm.... Well, I'll graduate in 2 years with both degrees and have my current car paid off. A Z06 or "Blue Devil" is probably still unattainable at that point. So, the year of my first new car will more than likely come down to either the G8 or the Camaro. I'd LOVE to show my support for Pontiac and buy a G8, but 1) I'm going to have to see the car in person and 2) It depends a lot on how the car drives. Most likely I would try to go for a GXP if one is out by then. It'd certainly have to at least be a V8 with a manual to even remain on my list. The Camaro might be more my cup-o-tea though. I mean, after all, I do already own two classic Camaros and it'd be very sweet to add another Camaro to the mix, but I just see myself as more of a Pontiac person now. (Could be what the division stands for or it could be that I just want to see the division continue to exist) I'll have to see what Ford and *gulp* Chrysler have out then too. I'm a HUGE fan of the SRT-8 Charger and I like the Fusion, Malibu and Aura as well but I'm not sure I'm ready for a FWD sedan or a sedan, period. Oh, and I'd LOVE to look into the Solstice GXP/Sky RL, but I'm 6'9" so that's out. There are so many cars I like that I'll just have to test drive, it'll be a hard decision.

As for used; I'd still LOVE to have a WS6 Trans Am, wouldn't mind trading my ZX3 up to an SVT Focus either (As gas mileage is a factor right now---I commute a lot) I also wouldn't mind finding a slightly used GTO or maybe even a G6. I'd like to have a Cobalt SC/SS as well or HHR. And speaking of R how about an SSR with the 6.0 liter and manual. Other than that my girlfriend and I plan on collecting classic cars from the 50s to the 70s (That list is huge)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Something of a managable exterior size with room for 4 inside and decent economy. Mid-sized sedan or crossover. Replacing my wife's '03 GP.

You being such a Pontiac guy and all I think a G8 would look great in that LOOOONG driveway of yours. 8)

Well I was going to get a 2008 CTS, but now since I don't want a G8 made in Australia, (I only buy North American made vehicles), sorry to say. I am thinking of getting a 2007 Grand Prix GXP and wait until 2009 for the CTS. Wife is getting a 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP. Teenager will be taking her 2005 Equinox LT next year.

My province has just instituted a massive Global Warming/Climate Change plan which will cut emissions below levels that were called for in the Kyoto Accord. Although specifics are not out just yet, word is that it may come to penalizing certain types of vehicles, and even hint toward displacement tariffs.

The new Camaro will likely be on the sh*t list, so I'm getting a little worried. I might have to settle for a used Mustang GT, because of this insanity.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Capt. Boo Yeah:

Dude, fight the power. Tell you govmnt. to F*** off and vote with your $$$.

Buy a Camaro and do a burnout in front of city hall.

Rememer those nasty burnouts that I posted on here of my 1968 Camaro?

The ones I posted about a year & a half ago? About half of them were

done right outside the local EPA building! :metal:

My province has just instituted a massive Global Warming/Climate Change plan which will cut emissions below levels that were called for in the Kyoto Accord. Although specifics are not out just yet, word is that it may come to penalizing certain types of vehicles, and even hint toward displacement tariffs.

The new Camaro will likely be on the sh*t list, so I'm getting a little worried. I might have to settle for a used Mustang GT, because of this insanity.

Nothing like COMMUNISM.

I figure the leftie greenies will try to screw us all out of our 'fun cars' and classic cars now that the big global warming scare is in full swing. (Especially on college campuses and among the hip)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I agree with you FOG.

Animal farts, Big dams and mother nature cause more global warming than cars do.

Yes cars are fuelling the global warming, but certainly not the factor.

These greenies are biggest losers. Most of them are stupid nerds who probably were jealous of those highschool friends doing the burnouts in the streets. Since law prevents them from killing those friends, they are using law to kill their friends' equipment and try to get a revenge.

If greenies wanna fight why don't they ask people to control the population explosion?

More population --> more demand for cars --> more demand for consumer goods --> more demand for natural resources especially trees --> more pollution. :AH-HA_wink:

Looks like I will not be buying that 1977 Nova, this kid thinks the car is worth

more than double what I think it is worth... but in the end it's funny how fate

has a way of workign out... after jotting down about 30 other potential cars in

my notebook, at 2:00am, I find THIS!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...=&cardist=9

I'll either buy this Datsun tomorrow, or perhaps the 1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Supreme 4dr DIESEL, or (3rd choice) a 1983 Diesel Mercedes Benz 240.

Friday afternoon I stumbled across an '03 Mini Cooper (ok, so I was actually out looking for Minis so its not really stumbling) and I want it. Its an automatic (normally a no-no in a Mini, but I spend all my time in bumper-to-bumper traffic) and bright freaking yellow with the big sunroof. $17,900 with 40k miles. And for the first time ever, I was at a used car lot during the week and there wasn't a salesman in sight.

I could NEVER but a Mini (new or old) with an automatic trans.

That would be like fu*king Drew Barrymore, but with Hillary Clinton's vag'! :puke:

Speaking of manual transmissions guess what I dragged home!? :pbjtime: