It's official. Chrysler's up for auction...NOT?

The LX cars. What you all keep forgetting that the Zeta platform you're all creaming yourselves over and swearing up and down (without driving it) is better than the LX platform isn't in production in America yet. The Charger's sales continue to be strong, the 300 has not dropped dramatically, and the Magnum sells badly because people are idiots who think they need an SUV instead of a wagon...cuz it's uncool (to have a 345 hp wagon wih 20" wheels...yeah...uncool indeed :rolleyes: ). I suppose the FWD ancient platform on which the Impala is based is superior? Or maybe the archaic Panther platform with it's pathetic 220 something horsepower V8 is better? Oh it must be the lame ass 500-err Taurus that's superior? No? Didn't think so. Until the G8 is on sale there is nothing that can comepete with the LX cars.

while I really like the look of the 300, a good strong American looking car (minus the Bentley looking grill), there really isnt' much else in the Chrysler lineup that strikes a chord with me. The Magnum is a fun niche vehicle that I really like and really hope GM can integrate into their product lineup if they buy the Chrysler group.

But really, seeing as this generation LX's is going to need to be redone by the time the fuller lineup of Zeta's are hitting the streets (and the Brampton contract is coming up for renewal), and considering at the money GM has invested in tooling up plants (including the high quality producing Oshawa plant) for Zeta and designing the cars to go on it, I really don't' see a point in keeping the LX's around past this generation.

The Caliber is competetive. The interior may be cheap but it is functional. I see more of them than Cobalts and Cobalts have been out longer.

while i see more Cobalts around then caliber's, I do agree with you its a good vehicle and should be kept around, though not as a Pontiac, because other than the SRT, I dont' think driving excitement. I think it might work well as GMC because of its utility, but thats a tough call

The Nitro is unique to this class in that it's not a p*ssy CUV. It has style, power, and functinality. How many vehicles in it's class have all of those attributes? The CR-V?

agreed. The Nitro is another one that should be kept around an integrated into an exisiting GM brand

The Viper (though a niche product) is more than competitive. It is an excellent beast of a machine just as the Corvette is.

ya it is, but GM doesn't need 2 sportscars. Its proud heritage, oth on road and racing and higher volume tells me Corvette should live, Viper should die.

The Dakota has the only V8 in it's class and the highest towing capacity. It's worlds better than the $h!box Canyon/Colorado twins.

Replacing the Colorado with the Dakota would be a great move IMO

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest YellowJacket894

The Nitro is another one that should be kept around an integrated into an exisiting GM brand

Rebirth of the Chevy Blazer?

(C'mon. Look at photos of a 1992 Chevy 5-Door Blazer and a Nitro back-to-back and tell me you don't see a few similarities.)

My perspective as a long time Mopar fan...

Unfortunately at this point in time I feel that as a business case, Chrysler is not worth saving. GM would be much wiser to pick up what is left instead of taking on this white elephant. There really isn't much of value anymore since the germans totally obliterated the company. The only high points are the minivans (which still leave a lot to be desired), Jeep (which has been watered down with the compass/patriot), Ram trucks (which are at the end of lifecycle and have nothing on the new GM trucks), Cummins diesel contract, state of the art Belvedere, IL factory building the Caliber/Compass/Patriot, GEMA engine plant and series of (3) 4cyl global engines 1.8/2.0/2.4, Hemi brand (GM LS-series V8's are superior in every aspect), and the LX platform cars (end of lifecycle)...

Basically there is pretty much 100% overlap and in every case the current GM offering is far superior; caliber vs cobalt, sebring/avenger (brand new and a total joke) vs aura/G6/malibu, LX vs G8/CTS/etc, ram vs silverado/sierra, durango/aspen (selling so well they're closing the factory!!! lol) vs GMT900's, nitro vs torrent/equinox... and on and on and on...

Add in more debt, more union issues, more employees to axe, more restructuring, more overlap, more divisions, more costs, more more more more...

GM is doing absolutely awesome right now, they have a lot of momentum going, the new products are best in class, the designs/powertrains/engineering are all awesome... why throw a wrench into the machine now???

Hemi brand (GM LS-series V8's are superior in every aspect),

LS's maybe superior, but the one big thing HEMI has over them is brand recognition. Most non-ca people recognize the HEMI name, but I'd bet not the LS name. And I think GM could really use that to their advantage

I say GM stay away from Chrysler and keep focus on your own turn around. Who cares about the minivans since that segment is shrinking anyway? I don't want to see Chrysler, a company that employs tens of thousands of Americans, go down in ruins. But I also don't want to see GM, who has made the harshest of critics conceede that GM is turning out some competitive products, go down with what is now a sinking ship. My entire life(27 y/o) Chrysler has been a roller coaster. They were facing bankruptcy when all of their most famous products, the k-cars and minivans to the cab-foward cars and now lx cars, were brought to market. I don't know that GM needs the inconsistency or quite frankly the distraction of trying to make more brands profitable. Throw that intended money into some more product for Saturn, Buick and Pontiac to beceome more profitable and gain market share. IMO.

Edited by Regalguy01

MORE NEWS

---Chrysler CEO mum on de-merger rumors---

In a letter sent to Chrysler employees today, CEO Tom LaSorda encouraged workers to continue to "produce great cars and trucks," but refused to deny rumors of a possible sale or spin-off of the Chrysler Group from DaimlerChrysler.

"Journalists and analysts have been busy conjecturing over what will happen," LaSorda wrote. "We simply cannot respond to these reports. The Board of Management has a duty to consider all options; but while this process is ongoing, the Board – including myself – can’t comment on developments because of strict legal requirements."

"It may take weeks or months before official comments can be made on some issues."

LaSorda's comments seem to confirm drastic strategies are being considered by the automaker. Recent rumors have suggested General Motors is seriously considering acquiring the Chrysler Group and integrating it into its family of brands and products.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/22/chr...-merger-rumors/

LS's maybe superior, but the one big thing HEMI has over them is brand recognition. Most non-ca people recognize the HEMI name, but I'd bet not the LS name. And I think GM could really use that to their advantage

Yeah, they could advertise the superiority. Have a Corvette (or whatever) driver pull up at a red light next to a Charger (or whatever) and the Dodge driver could do the redneck "That thing got a Hemi" thing and the Chevy driver could be like, "No, LS7" and smoke the Dodge driving tool.

Yeah, they could advertise the superiority. Have a Corvette (or whatever) driver pull up at a red light next to a Charger (or whatever) and the Dodge driver could do the redneck "That thing got a Hemi" thing and the Chevy driver could be like, "No, LS7" and smoke the Dodge driving tool.

That's why I like you, Satty. You're like a laxative. Things start getting tense and you come in and loosen it all up with an outcome that's different everytime...

I wonder how W.P. Chrysler would feel about his old bosses buying out his company. Sounds like old school GM.

He may be spinning in his grave.

ya it is, but GM doesn't need 2 sportscars. Its proud heritage, oth on road and racing and higher volume tells me Corvette should live, Viper should die.

You can't just kill the Viper, I believe it has a loyal following just like the Vette. The Viper should live. I'm pretty sure if they got it INTO production, and it were to be killed (I'd hope not), there'd be many more letters to get it BACK into production. And remember Vette fans, without the Viper the Vette wouldn't be where it is today. 8)

You can't just kill the Viper, I believe it has a loyal following just like the Vette. The Viper should live. I'm pretty sure if they got it INTO production, and it were to be killed (I'd hope not), there'd be many more letters to get it BACK into production. And remember Vette fans, without the Viper the Vette wouldn't be where it is today. 8)

No doubt it has a loyal following, but the current one is a bit long in the fang and I can't imagine spending money finishing up development on the next gen would be high on GM's priority list given they are still trying to dig out of their own hole and the fact they already have one ass kicking sportscar already

Sure you can. Most of the sales would just go to the Z06 anyways. The Viper's sales are so small it makes no sense for GM to keep it if GM does in fact buy Dodge/Jeep. Plus, the Corvette is the top dog, and it could be debated what vehicle is the top dog if the Viper is near the performance of the Blue Devil.

Why can't Chrysler be run exactly like it was under DaimlerChrysler (where Benz and Chrysler were like too seperate companies)? I mean why can't GM just take control of Chrysler, improve interior quality and designs and sell them exactly how they are now?

Chrysler only lost a billion last year which may seem like a lot, but compared to Ford and GM (in 2005) its not that much. With the way GM is going right now, I feel that they could easily turn Chrysler into a profitable company next year.

I don't see why GM should take over Chrysler, destroy half its product and kill some of its own divisions just to intergrade another company into itself.

Edited by vrazzhledazzle

Sure you can. Most of the sales would just go to the Z06 anyways.

Do you really think that Viper loyalists would really settle for a Vette? I wouldn't. It's all about exclusivity. Something you don't get with a Vette.

Not long ago it was Chrysler being profitable and saving the company's ass while Mercedes was up $h! creek because of their horrible quality problems. Chrysler has a few bad months and now their up for auction. I really hate the bastards in Germany who'd rather take the easy way out than commit. The merger was a bad idea to begin with. I wish they'd just split Chrysler Group away from Mercedes and allow it to be it's own company again.

I agree. Just demerge it and forget about it. Chrysler was worse off at the start of the 1980's then they are now. The minvan saved their bacon then, and I have a feeling that the minivan could save them again. Sure, there is less of a market, but when you OWN that market, things should look okay.

I wonder if there'll be a lawsuit over this. There should be.

Why can't Chrysler be run exactly like it was under DaimlerChrysler (where Benz and Chrysler were like too seperate companies)? I mean why can't GM just take control of Chrysler, improve interior quality and designs and sell them exactly how they are now?

That makes too much sense for that too be done :P

Chrysler only lost a billion last year which may seem like a lot, but compared to Ford and GM (in 2005) its not that much. With the way GM is going right now, I feel that they could easily turn Chrysler into a profitable company next year.

I don't see why GM should take over Chrysler, destroy half its product and kill some of its own divisions just to intergrade another company into itself.

if it was so easy to turn Chrysler around, Hyundai or Nissan would be fighting for them. Fact is, its a lot harder than it seems. It took years upon years to get the ship in the right direction, and we're still years away from seeing the ship stabilized.

Do you really think that Viper loyalists would really settle for a Vette? I wouldn't. It's all about exclusivity. Something you don't get with a Vette.

You sure as hell would get that with a Blue Devil.

Either way, there's no way the Viper is sticking around if GM buys Dodge, and I see little chance it's going to stick around if they don't.

Because that likely would make NO business sense at all. GM doesn't want or have time for a 'fixer upper' that they'll sell to someone else. Why would you spend heaps of cash to turn around a losing company, MAYBE see a profit and then sell it to someone else? It's not like a house that'll appraise in value.

Chrysler only lost a billion last year which may seem like a lot, but compared to Ford and GM (in 2005) its not that much. With the way Gt M is going right now, I feel that they could easily turn Chrysler into a profitable company next year.

It would take much, MUCH longer than just 365 days to turn around a company like Chrysler back to profitability; and in order to do that, Chrysler vehicles would have to be taken off the market and scrapped, and even a division might have to be killed. But as you mention, you don't want that to happen. I'm afraid you cannot have it both ways.

I don't see why GM should take over Chrysler, destroy half its product and kill some of its own divisions just to intergrade another company into itself. [/b]

Because sadly, it makes the most business sense to kill a few Chrysler products. It's all well and good to talk about the brands and their history and their meaning, but at the end of the day, prudent business decisions will dictate the direction of Chrysler's future in GM.

Think of it this way... if this were reversed, and it was GM that was on the auction block, and Daimler is looking to buy it, I would be VERY certain that Pontiac, and Buick would be gone. But unfortunately, it's not that way.

Edited by Captainbooyah

I just said that on page 5....it makes complete sense....all chrysler profit would go to GM and the whole leftover 06 volume thing wouldn't be a problem...GM could have a huge megasale to get rid of them...imagine how many people would flock to buy a brand new sebring for $9000...GM would clear out 06's in no time.

Yeah, but Chrysler is in the same boat as GM.

Their problems are cheap, rental-fleeted cars, quality perception problems, healthcare costs (& everything else UAW related), ect.

GM has already started to fix its problems...they can help Chrysler while helping themselves (like I said Chrysler can start being profitable very soon if handled the way GM is handling themselves right now).

I just said that on page 5....it makes complete sense....all chrysler profit would go to GM and the whole leftover 06 volume thing wouldn't be a problem...GM could have a huge megasale to get rid of them...imagine how many people would flock to buy a brand new sebring for $9000...GM would clear out 06's in no time.

what profit?

Sorry man, I forgot about that post (I looked back and I actually quoted you and agreed with what you said)

My bad.

With the leftover 06 stock, GM could sell it to rental fleets and make more than $9000 a car. If sold to the public, its not a great car and it would be a bad start perception-wise since I invision GM making Chrysler into a stylish, affordable carmaker and selling trashy cars is not a good way for GM to start turning Chrysler's image around.

Either way, there's no way the Viper is sticking around if GM buys Dodge, and I see little chance it's going to stick around if they don't.

The Viper, as everyone knows, is a halo car. I doubt anyone would kill their halo car (besides Ford).

Chrysler's not making profit now because of the interior quality and not so great lower tier engines...the german's don't know how to do anything correctly...GM could easily drop some engines into Chrysler cars and upgrade interiors...and maybe kill off a few models.

Exactly. Chrysler only has 3 brands right now anyway. Its the perfect size company to turn itself around (easier to do so than GM and Ford) especially using GM great new platforms, engines, interior designs, ect.

Edited by vrazzhledazzle

Exactly. Chrysler only has 3 brands right now anyway. Its the perfect size company to turn itself around (easier to do so than GM and Ford) especially using GM great new platforms, engines, interior designs, ect.

I couldn't agree with that more. That's why I'm working on a report right now with everything listed the way I would turn Chrysler and GM into a single company. The main things to do are take the best platforms/drivetrains/plants, scrap/sell the rest, redesign vehicles that need a redesign most, and finally eliminate overlap. Easier said than done, but GM could do it.

putting them on new GM chassis and using new GM engines wouldnt' really be running it as its own company like Daimler did is it?

too let Chrysler truly continue on its why like they did with Daimler, losing a billion a year before they could get turned around (which would take a few years), PLUS the initial 5 billion purchase price, PLUS however many billions in development costs to get them up to a quality and price point where they could turn a profit, would have them end up billions and billions in debt before they turn a profit. Even when they do start turning a profit, it won't be that much, and will take years just to get out of the hole they've dug themselves into. So really, if that happened, it would probably be close to a decade before GM started to see any return on investment, and thats being generous.

A turnaround that would get GM an ROI in a lot shorter time is possible, but to do so, the Chrysler Group we'd see then would look nothing like the Chrysler group as it stands now.

Edited by Dragon

I couldn't agree with that more. That's why I'm working on a report right now with everything listed the way I would turn Chrysler and GM into a single company. The main things to do are take the best platforms/drivetrains/plants, scrap/sell the rest, redesign vehicles that need a redesign most, and finally eliminate overlap. Easier said than done, but GM could do it.

Yup. we're waiting for that NOS.

Now, are you gonna keep GM and Chrysler seperate or are you gonna intergrate Chrysler into GM (example: are you going to make the Dodge Caliber the Pontiac Vibe or are you gonna keep both -- one for GM, one for Chrysler Group and redesign the Vibe based on the Caliber).

putting them on new GM chassi' using new GM engines wouldnt' really be running it as its own company like Daimler did is it?

too let Chrysler truly continue on its why like they did with Daimler, losing a billion a year before they could get turned around (which would take a few years), PLUS the initial 5 billion purchase price, PLUS however many billions in development costs to get them up to a quality and price point where they could turn a profit, would have them end up billions and billions in debt before they turn a profit. Even when they do start turning a profit, it won't be that much, and will take years just to get out of the hole they've dug themselves into. So really, if that happened, it would probably be close to a decade before GM started to see any return on investment, and thats being generous.

A turnaround that would get GM an ROI in a lot shorter time is possible, but to do so, the Chrysler Group we'd see then would look nothing like the Chrysler group as it stands now.

Well, GM buying Chrysler isn't something I want in the first place. I was just pointing out that it would be easier to keep them seperate companies (by this I mean keep Chrysler Group Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge instead of killing Chrysler, Killing Pontiac-GMC and replacing it with Dodge, and merging Jeep and Hummer into one brand). Chrysler already has platforms, keep their vehicle the way they are now except of course re-design most exteriors and significantly upgrade interiors). Then, for example, eventually transfer LX cars to Zeta (cancel LY) because it doesn't make sense to develop two platforms for the same type of vehicle (this saves costs).

I am not gonna keep explaining it, but you get the idea. Dealer network is kept the same, except they could possible add Hummer to all Jeep dealerships (keep them as separate brands -- that way there'll be brand recognition between Hummer (upscale) and Jeep (more affortable). The two would compete again Range Rover and Land Rover respectively.

Sorry man, I forgot about that post (I looked back and I actually quoted you and agreed with what you said)

My bad.

With the leftover 06 stock, GM could sell it to rental fleets and make more than $9000 a car. If sold to the public, its not a great car and it would be a bad start perception-wise since I invision GM making Chrysler into a stylish, affordable carmaker and selling trashy cars is not a good way for GM to start turning Chrysler's image around.

06's weren't trashy cars...they were just behind the competition...but yea...GM could sell it to fleets and make money while eleiminating old stock.

06's weren't trashy cars...they were just behind the competition...but yea...GM could sell it to fleets and make money while eleiminating old stock.

I got mixed up with the '07 Sebrings (which also aren't very competitive, but they represent exactly what me and you we're saying - with minor tweaks such as redesigning the rearlights and changing the engines and lots of other small things like that, GM can make the car pretty decent and it will be good enough until they completely redesign it and move it to Epsilon later on when it starts to get old)

But yes, those 50,000 or so durangos and whatever else that we heard about are sitting in some other people's parking lots can bring a nice profit (50,000 x $15000 (average per car) = 750,000,000) just like that.

But yes, those 50,000 or so durangos and whatever else that we heard about are sitting in some other people's parking lots can bring a nice profit (50,000 x $15000 (average per car) = 750,000,000) just like that.

That would almost pay for half of the company right there.. But then you've got restructuring which costs money.

Oh snap, I just got an allusion to Iraq. Daimler-Benz is Sadaam Hussein and GM looks like it's ready to be the US in this battle. Let's just hope Chrysler accepts GM instead of fighting back...

That would almost pay for half of the company right there.. But then you've got restructuring which costs money.

Oh snap, I just got an allusion to Iraq. Daimler-Benz is Sadaam Hussein and GM looks like it's ready to be the US in this battle. Let's just hope Chrysler accepts GM instead of fighting back...

Well not exactly half, but if they pay 5 billion for Chrysler, even if they can get $20,000 per car, that's 1 billion which would be 20% of the purchase price. (If they can get Chrysler for 5 billion, I'd say go for it).

That's a lot of IFs, but if some of the things we're talking about are true, it doesn't seem like Chrysler is as bad of a deal as we thought it was. And the best part? Chrysler doesn't go to the Chinese, Toyota, Nissan, or anyone else but back to America where it belongs.

And the best part? Chrysler doesn't go to the Chinese, Toyota, Nissan, or anyone else but back to America where it belongs.

Yes that would be a plus as long as Chrysler stays (mostly) INTACT! and Dodge is untouched.

Have you seen Dodge's lineup? There's no wonder they can't force people to buy their vehicles. Dodge AND Chrysler need to be restructured with completely new vehicles for the most part.

And I'm not even on the fence, I think GM should buy them. However, it would take a lot of work to fix the Chrysler brands.

If you want the brand to find success, Dodge cannot stay untouched.

Well I meant virtually untouched. Keep the Ram, Dakota, Viper, Charger/Magnum, Caliber; possibly axe the Durango and intro another sedan, make the Avenger more competetive, give the whole lineup new interiors and viola.

PS: Does anyone think this would be happening if Chrysler's "Bible" wasn't tossed out?

Well I meant virtually untouched. Keep the Ram, Dakota, Viper, Charger/Magnum, Caliber; possibly axe the Durango and intro another sedan, make the Avenger more competetive, give the whole lineup new interiors and viola.

PS: Does anyone think this would be happening if Chrysler's "Bible" wasn't tossed out?

If GM owned Chrysler, they wouldn't dare keep vehicles that would compete directly with their own vehicles. I see at least three of the vehicles you mentioned being axed.

IT IS SIMPLE WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN PROBLEMS! DON'T BUY 'EM, PUT THAT MONEY INTO YOUR PRODUCTS!

That would be the easiest. There is an article I posted on earlier (its mid-way thru page 4) that says analysts think there's a 50/50 chance of GM buying Chrysler. Now that Hyundai and NissanRenault are out the chances are much higher.

Unless someone steps up, this likely WILL happen. GM will buy Chrysler.