Morbid curiousity: Which would you choose?

Which would you buy?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Volvo vs. Pontiac vs. Nissan

• 2001+ Volvo S60 (turbo models)
    • 2004+ Pontiac Grand Prix (GT or GTP)
    • 2000-2003 Nissan Maxima
    • 2002-2006 Nissan Altima (V6)

I think I've finally succeded in making a definitive list of my next car (yeah, right). It's down to these four:

1. 2001+ Volvo S60 (2.4T or T5 likely)

Posted Image

2. 2004+ Pontiac Grand Prix (GT or GTP)

Posted Image

3. 2000-2003 Nissan Maxima

Posted Image

4. 2002-2006 Nissan Altima (3.5SE or SE-R)

Posted Image

The common thing for me in all of these cars is liking the looks, sounds, and powertrains (of the above-mentioned versions) of all of these. These can all be had for around the same price (maybe not the SE-R or T5).

So if you were in my shoes, which would you choose. Please be as objective as you can.

I've always had a soft spot for that generation Maxima...but at the same time I liked the Alitma too. Both have less-than-perfect rear ends but I like them overall. The Volvo is nice but probably not much of an engaging drive. The GP is ok...but the cheap interior, odd styling, and old platform really conspire against it. I'd probably go for the SE-R.

Not the Volvo. I drove some of them at work (used) with about 40k miles on them. The shocks were absolutely shot, when I braked the cars did a complete nosedive.

I would probably go with the Altima or GP. The Maxima is perhaps better than the GP but it won't have any sort of warranty left.

What about a used Mazda6? It seems similar to what these cars are/trying to be.

I've driven all these cars except for the Volvo, though the Altima I drove had a 4. If an American car is to your tastes, obviously only the Grand Prix fits the bill. However, I did not find the GTP to be a fun drive due to the understeer, and marginal interior space does not justify the big, overstyled exterior. I drove a 2000 Maxima SE. It got the larger engine in MY 2002. It was ok, but not remarkable nor particularly memorable. I just couldn't get over the styling in the rear. The Altima I drove was a base version, and again it wasn't particularly memorable other than I preferred the Honda Accord. If it were my choice, I'd go for an Altima after the mid-season facelift because of the much improved interior. However, if I could find a Maxima at the right price, I'd certainly consider that.

Edited by bobo

GP or Maxima. I've had seat time in both, and they both feel vault-like and well-built. Both cars have time-tested mechanicals. I'd give the GP the edge on performance and the Maxima the edge on refinement.

I can't give any feedback on the Volvo, but I'm not a fan of the Altima at all. They age about as well as a Hyundai - that is to say not very well.

The Grand Prix isn't a bad car, there just isn't much of a soul there. I would pick the S60, though if I actually had to worry about maintenance cost and long term reliability, the Grand Prix would win, hands down.

Not the Volvo. I drove some of them at work (used) with about 40k miles on them. The shocks were absolutely shot, when I braked the cars did a complete nosedive.

I would probably go with the Altima or GP. The Maxima is perhaps better than the GP but it won't have any sort of warranty left.

What about a used Mazda6? It seems similar to what these cars are/trying to be.

That sums up my thoughts.

I drove an S6 a couple years ago, 2.4T I think, and the lag just kills the car. It was the first time I really drove around Mexico City, and it was definitely the wrong car to be in. I needed to make quick decisions to cut accross traffic, merge, etc... and the car just didn't do what I needed. It's like you have to think 5 seconds ahead, and accelerate accordingly.

Anyway... I voted Altima, but I really like the GP too. Especially if you can get your hands on a GTP!

That is easy! The Volvo because it is stylish and will run hundreds of 1000's of miles as long as you keep it up. Also unlike the others it does not look like a rental or a car you got for cheap. Oh and make sure it is the T5 not the 4.

I have had a long history with Volvo's and unlike what you have read here Volvo's are known world wide for excellent driving dynamics and saftey. At 150K miles if cared for it will still drive like it only has 50K on the clock.

Edited by rueben44

Northstar: I kind of like the Mazda6 and actually never gave those a lot of thought...just what I need, another option to consider.

BV: The I35, while nice, doesn't do much for me. If I'm going to get a Maxima, I'm getting a "Maxima".

---

In case anyone is confused as to why on earth the Volvo is on the list, I had dreams of modding it into something like this eventually:

Posted Image

Plus, with a proper exhaust turbo I5 Volvos can sound pretty good.

---

In all honesty, it's probably going to come down to a choice between the Maxima and Grand Prix. They're the lowest priced, after all. :P