F**king Winter!

I think it's time to move to Arizona... This is ridiculous. My Millenia was never perfect in the first place, but damn. Rust, scratches, a ding? Pisses me off. It always had a bit of rust on the right rear fender since I bought it, but it was barely noticeable. As soon as winter came, it started to get worse. After that, I didn't really pay attention to it. Well, yesterday, I happened to look at it and its so much worse, not to mention I now have some on the left side, too. I'll just let the pics speak for themselves. I couldn't get a pic of the ding, though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:censored:

How about doing that poor car a favor and washing the wheelwells out.

Usually on newer cars with basecoat/ clearcoat paint jobs, the only way they'll rust is if the paint chips through the primer and it's never touched up. Probably the previous owner took it on a gravel road or something and that got it all chipped up.

Rust is like cancer for cars. There's nothing you can really do to stop it - nothing that won't cost you more than the book value of the car anyway. You might be able to stave off the rust with a can of brush-on Rust-Oleum and make it look nice with some touch up paint. If you want to spend a little more, go for Por-15 instead of the Rust Oleum.

As for the scratches, they don't look like they're through the clear. If you can feel them with your fingers, they'll need to be sanded and buffed out. If not, you can probably get them out with repeated applications of scratch remover.

How about doing that poor car a favor and washing the wheelwells out.

Usually on newer cars with basecoat/ clearcoat paint jobs, the only way they'll rust is if the paint chips through the primer and it's never touched up. Probably the previous owner took it on a gravel road or something and that got it all chipped up.

Rust is like cancer for cars. There's nothing you can really do to stop it - nothing that won't cost you more than the book value of the car anyway. You might be able to stave off the rust with a can of brush-on Rust-Oleum and make it look nice with some touch up paint. If you want to spend a little more, go for Por-15 instead of the Rust Oleum.

As for the scratches, they don't look like they're through the clear. If you can feel them with your fingers, they'll need to be sanded and buffed out. If not, you can probably get them out with repeated applications of scratch remover.

Well, my driveway is pure mud, hence why it's so muddy. Not to mention that there's always gravel on the the backroads I live on. As I've mentioned in the past... Keeping a car clean is impossible living here.

Nothing I do with this car is going to be cost effective, since it is a 12 year old car, but my dad can do body and paint work. I'm probably just going to try to have it sanded down and repair the fenders as best as possible. Same with the scratches... They're deep enough to feel. I figure that it needs a paint job anyways. I think the only reason I'd get rid of my Millenia anyways is if the engine blew up, like with my Grand Am. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Well that's good that your dad can do bodywork. Do you have a decent air compressor at home? If so, try getting yourself a spot blaster. That may be your best shot at getting rid of the rust. Take the fender off the car to prevent the sand from getting all in your suspension and engine compartment.

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder. I'd move there in a heartbeat, and can take the heat. Last year I rode 25 miles in 105* plus San Antonio humidity. It's not a problem as long as you wear suncreen and hydrate yourself adequately.

I absolutely cannot stand winter anymore. It stops me from doing what I love.

Yikes Vipes, those rear quarters look worse than when you sent me pics a while back. Most cars have pockets in their structure that trap dirt and moisture, which eventually rusts out the panel from the back side out. It's impossible to stop once it starts.

As far as your vehicle being constantly dirty... I feel ya. The lane at our farm is 3/4 of a mile long... and in spring, it turned into a washboard and pothole city... On top of that, we used to spread oyster shells on the lane, which made white dust that turned into white "mud". I was dumb enough to factory order a black '83 S-10... looked great when clean, but impossible to keep that way.

No, dude, Arizona is ridiculous...3 months of 110 degrees. Yikes. I don't care how low the humidity is.

I've lived there in the summer before..I can tolerate it...as long as I have good A/C at home, in the car, and at the office, and a pool, I can deal with it...much better than 98 degrees w/ 98 percent humidity like I dealt with in S. Florida and the Midwest, IMHO.

I've thought of moving to Phoenix many times..I know the area very well, have family that I'm close to there, my company has people there, and after the last 3 months, I'm sick of winter, even Colorado winters (snow every week since Dec, and a few nights below zero)..and it would get me that much closer to California...

Well that's good that your dad can do bodywork. Do you have a decent air compressor at home? If so, try getting yourself a spot blaster. That may be your best shot at getting rid of the rust. Take the fender off the car to prevent the sand from getting all in your suspension and engine compartment.

We have an air compressor, though, I'm not sure if it's decent. It's probably in one of the pics I took of either the tractor or my Grand Am. I'll have to look into the spot blaster.

No, dude, Arizona is ridiculous...3 months of 110 degrees. Yikes. I don't care how low the humidity is.

I could deal with it if I had to. As Z said, I can't stand winter and I'd easily consider moving to somewhere with very little chance of my car rusting.

Yikes Vipes, those rear quarters look worse than when you sent me pics a while back. Most cars have pockets in their structure that trap dirt and moisture, which eventually rusts out the panel from the back side out. It's impossible to stop once it starts.

Yeah, I thought so.

Ouch BV, that looks rough...it's almost like looking a the the Shadow's fenders! The Shadow's worse though...rust as eaten through the drivers door and the rocker panels by the rear wheel wells on both sides. Rock salt is pure evil for cars. The best you can do is wash it as often as you can to help prevent it. I washed the Intrepid every time I gassed up this winter, and the Prizm, those less often, quite a few times as well. The Prizm has tiny bits of rust developing due to paint chips from the dirt/gravel my girlfriend used to have to drive it on in Kansas. The Intrepid, oddly enough, has a small, rust spot on the top of the driver's side door frame...I'm gonna get that touched up this spring. Hope you get that poor car some TLC this spring/summer!

Edited by Dodgefan

Well of course, Mr. Custom-S. Solid rubber tires. Wooden wheels. Chain drive. And black was actually the only color you could get. <_<:angry: :AH-HA_wink:

My brother bought a new '84 S-10 in silver... it was a pretty good little truck, very reliable..but after 15 Ohio winters, it had to have some bodywork..some rust on the cab corners, rear fender wells, etc.. similiarly, the salty Ohio/Michigan/Illinois winters did a number on my '88 Bronco II...I'm glad Colorado doesn't use salt on their roads.

Edited by moltar