Went to the Junkyard today

Intrepidation

So I went to Lowell Used Auto today, initially planning to buy an antenna for the Prizm, But as we all know, you never just get one thing at the junkyard :P

I wandered around the main lot for a while...it's where everything besides GM cars are put (as well as new arrivals). I saw 4 Intrepids there, which made me sad. 2 were wrecked, one of them had no engine, and the other actually looked ok...but I couldn't get at it...probably a dead 2.7L. There was a row of 3 previous gen Caravans. Now, I like looking around and seeing if any of the vehicles will still turn over or light up. Sure enough, the last one I looked at (which had been repainted red from its original blue started up, and even went into gear and drove (although the engine sputtered and the "check engine soon" light was on. I swiped some tail lights out of the Intrepids, and I also found one of them had the instrument panel pulled apart. Sure enough, the tachometer and speedometer use 2 bulbs to light up, while the rest use 1...I guess I have a burnt out one. I wanted to practice pulling the dash part..but the other Intrepid was covered in glass from a wreck and the one in good shape was blocked off.

In the "recent arrivals" section, there was a black 1rst gen Aurora sitting by the entrance. The body looked pretty good except the hood was messed up. There was glass all over the interior, but poking around from outside revealed some nice soft stuff...too bad it was poorly assembled.

I also saw (and this is crazy) an Impala, like this one:

Posted Image

No wheels, but the suspension was all there. Missing the grill and bumpers but the body had no rust on it, it was mostly primed, although it had no interior save the sash and steering wheel...it was marked as "junk" :huh:

--

After that, I heaed to the GM section (which is it's own area across the street from the rest of the junkyard).

BV, this may make you cry, but I saw a red Pontiac Fiero sitting in the GM section...body still intact. I saw a Caprice sedan and wagon that still looked nice on the outside. There was a few junked and gutted 80's Camaros there, a previous gen Monte Carlo, some older and newer buicks (2 junked Regals), and a bunch of other stuff.

To my luck there was one Geo Prizm. It was a `93. It had been in a wreck. I managed to get an antenna (which is lucky cuz those things break so easily), I also pulled out the HVAC control assembly, the center stack (for the vents), and an armrest! I didn't know this, but the Prizm/Corolla armrest just screws into the space that is just a storage area for base models. It also had the upgraded upholstery seats, which we may go back for in the morning, as well as nicer door panels. One thing that was funny about that Prizm was a bumper sticker that read "my next police car will have a hemi" I thought it was funny. I also grabbed a hood badge for my Intrepid since it was missing it. Total cost: $25 bucks!

I got home and managed to install everything but the damn antenna. I can't find the bloody wire behind the kick panel in ours...I'lkl probably just ask the mechanic to do it for us real quick...hopefully it takes like 15 minutes. For the first time since I rode in that car it has working HVAC lights...so no longer is it a dark center stack at night...the armest (though hard plastic) is sweet.

That was my day, it was fun (albeit a bit sad). Tomorrow I shall go back for more!

OMG, this is one of my favorite things to do, when I have the time, strange as it sounds. There is a fairly new yard here in Detroit that groups the cars by manufacturer and keeps them elevated on steel wheel stacks so it is easier to pull things off the cars. The rotate the stocks fairly often too. I can wander through there for hours, they even have a section called "Old Stuff" where vintage cars end up. I've been saddened at what I've seen there. In the regular GM section, it's amazing to see all the different samples of cars that were popular in the 80's, like Centurys and Cieras, and to note the huge variety of build combinations. Floor shifter in a FWD Century wagon? Check. '87 Olds Ciera Brougham 2.5 with a mint velour interior, digital dash option and only 66k on the odometer? Check. Buick Roadmaster with 283k on the odo.? Check. Each visit is like an archaelogical dig!

*chuckles*

I've been to a few junk yards .... but only to look around. Kinda morbid, I guess ... but it's kinda fun to see all of the older cars and wonder what they've "seen" in their lifetime ... he he.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I ain't ready for the junkyard yet" ... George Jones ... 'I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair'

Went there again today, this time with Jessica. Of course it was raining somewhat so the mud puddles were huge. We wandered around the "new stuff" and Chrysler sections. One of the Intrepids I had looked at yesterday had been crushed...there eerily, a blue one like mine there now...2.7L...it also looked like it was in great shape...but had some of the dash taken apart.

We went over to the GM section to the Prizm. I wanted (and hoped) to see if my screwdriver I left there yesterday was still there, and thankfully it was. This Prizm was an LSI, so it had much nicer cloth seats, door panels, and sun visors (the ones in her Prizm are horribly;y cheap vinyl that's painful to touch). Since the driver's seat no longer longer moved fore and aft on it's track, newer and nicer seats sounded good. We couldn't take the ear seat because her's don't fold down, and these did. It's ok, because the pattern is pretty similar...so the seats won't look that out of place. For $h!s and grins I pulled the dome light out of the Prizm too (here's hasn't worked in years, I was going on a hunch that the contacts may have just been corroded), I also grabbed a spare driver's door handle, which I'll probably give to my friend with the Corolla, so the cheap bastard finally fixes it.

She also decided to take after Sixty8's hobby of grabbing badges, so we have a couple Dodge Badges, a Geo badge, a (metal!) 2-piece Cadillac badge, a Kia badge, Eagle badge and a Mitsubishi badge.

I poked around the section, and decided to check out a 1994 Grand Prix (I have always loved the exterior of that generation). The interior design was actually not bad for it's age...the plastics were hollow, brittle, and cheap...but I could live with them.

When wee got home it was kinda drizzling, so we stayed inside, but there was a break in the weather, and with the impending Nor' Easter, it was now or wait a while...so we took teh old seats out, cleaned the area up, put the new ones in (after cleaning them), put the visors in, and for the hell of it, I replaced the dome like...an whaddoya know? When I hooked up the battery cable...it came on! She was thrilled to finally have a dome light, as was I, because now I can see the road map at night while delivering! The seats are great...so much more comfortable than the old ones. All this for 90 bucks!

Guest YellowJacket894

I live within a two minute walk of a junkyard. As a matter of fact, I think I may go there next week and pick up some more stuff for the S-10 ... maybe.

What I love about this junkyard is that, besides always having at least one vehicle in stock that I'm looking to get parts for, is that they uh...don't check your toolbox or pockets (and I got a big-ass toolbox for X-mas) :D

Edited by Dodgefan

I went yesterday and the first thing I saw was a Dodge 400. I may pick it up. It was the rarest K-car ever built other than the Limos. The 400 lasted only 2 years and the rarest is the 83 Convertible because under 5000 were produced and under 6000 in 1982. This was a white convertible that looked pretty solid. However, the top seems like it may be wrecked as well as the interior. Most of these cars have been destroyed so far but it would probably be a rare collector someday. I am going to have to see if I can rescue it but replacement parts are virtually impossible to find unless they can be interchanged with the Aries or if you have a spare 400. I also found some interesting looking GM vehicles that I have never seen before. There was an older Corvair there, a bunch of Dynastys, and plently of old Caprices. There was a Pontiac Grand Prix from the 80s, it was silver and black with a red accent and it looked like it had the Monte Carlo's Aeroroof. It was pretty bent up but it was cool to see. Was this a factory option on the Grand Prix?

Yup, and they were even rarer than the MC SS Aero coupe. They needed to make a number of these to allow the GP to race in NASCAR.

Posted Image

The nose is fugly beyond recognition, but the paint scheme is very nice.

I went yesterday and the first thing I saw was a Dodge 400. I may pick it up. It was the rarest K-car ever built other than the Limos. The 400 lasted only 2 years and the rarest is the 83 Convertible because under 5000 were produced and under 6000 in 1982. This was a white convertible that looked pretty solid. However, the top seems like it may be wrecked as well as the interior. Most of these cars have been destroyed so far but it would probably be a rare collector someday. I am going to have to see if I can rescue it but replacement parts are virtually impossible to find unless they can be interchanged with the Aries or if you have a spare 400. I also found some interesting looking GM vehicles that I have never seen before. There was an older Corvair there, a bunch of Dynastys, and plently of old Caprices. There was a Pontiac Grand Prix from the 80s, it was silver and black with a red accent and it looked like it had the Monte Carlo's Aeroroof. It was pretty bent up but it was cool to see. Was this a factory option on the Grand Prix?

Weren't they similar to the Dodge 600? I always wanted to rescue a car, but I never knew the process...I had asked about a Shadow I saw once, but they said it had no title...so they couldn't sell it.

If they have the title than you can rescue it or simply if you are going to customize it as well. We got our Mustang from there. That's the Grand Prix I saw there. it was in an accident so the front was all smashed up but it was that colour with the same window. How many of those were made? I may have to see about rescuing that one if it has a title.

Yep, haven't been to our smaller local one since the fall, but the MOST common car (and it's almost shocking) is '98-04 base 2.7L Intrepids, few of which are even visibly damaged, but all of which clearly have had the wonderful 2.7L blow. I actually had never been here, and went for the first time with my father, and when I brought up the number of Intrepids that were there he said "I know! None of them even look damaged and it's like a used Dodge lot in parts."

That said, GM is well represented to, with a TON (even more than the Intrepids) of mid to late 90's GM 3.8L cars. Craploads upon craploads of LeSabres, Park Avenues, Eighty-Eights, Bonnevilles, etc. And, again, some damaged, but others that just look like they were driven in. I was trying to draw some conclusions on that one, and all that I could think of is the shattering intake manifold thing, but even that isn't as severe as the 2.7L's that blow up. Still wondering...

Otherwise, just lots of random stuff, and really fun to walk around and explore to see what you can find. There's a few extremely huge ones up around me in PA, but I've yet to make it to any of them, but hope to before long. The smaller one near home is okay, and we've gotten some nice finds there, but they've gotten quite pricey lately with anything and it's pretty disorganized--they're bigger business is just all the scrap metal they can get anymore, for obvious reasons, while still keeping the pick-a-part open for extra income.

Edited by caddycruiser

If your into really old stuff try the wrecking yard on State Rt 56 just outside of Mt. Sterling Ohio, it is huge and there are cars in there dating back to the 1920's. On one trip I found 3-57 Chevy's, a 57 caddy convertible, 2-55 Chevy's, 4 56 Chevy's a 67 Mustang Fastback, a 66 LeMans convertible that was a factory triple white car (how rare was that back in 66) a complete older MGB, a 39 Ford Sedan, 2-58 T-birds...the list goes on.

There is a 57 Chevy 4 door hardtop sitting out front in restorable shape, but most of the cars inside have rusted to the point of collapse after sitting in the Ohio weather for 40 years, also have been stripped of interesting parts.

J.C. Radiator on Williams avenue here had a few really rare and interesting cars, including TWO 56 Pontiac Safari's (the rare car with the Nomad roof, 2 door wagon) a red on Red 66 GTO, an aqua 65 GTO, several Galaxy's and T-birds from the 60's, a few early 50's ford trucks, and more 2nd-3rd gen Camaros and firebirds than you could shake a stick at.

One of my favorite cars was the blue 71 Mach 1 fastback.

Also Caddys, Cutlasses, and several interesting Buicks, etc. from the 50's. None worth restoring and such but interesting to look at.

...and then one day the J.C. Radiator yard changed hands or something and they crushed EVERYTHING over about 2-3 days.

There were some interesting yards in Northwest Ohio in Amish country a few years back, but I doubt any of that stuff is still there.

The rarest two cars I ever saw were a 63 Studebaker Avanti (not continuation) and an early 911 sitting side by side in a yard on Groveport Road here in Columbus. They would not sell either car or parts off of either car, and a few days later when I went back to take photographs both of them had been crushed.

I, BTW, am not obsessed with cars or anything...

Chris

...and yeah the 86 SP 2+2 is cool. A local guy was selling one that was a prisitne 8,000 mile example a few years back but you could have raised the Titanic or bought a Hemi Cuda with what he was asking for it.

Actually I think he was asking like 18,000, but that was still plenty for an 86 Pontiac.

Chris

How much do they tend to charge for a whole car?

For whatever odd reason Salvage yards won't sell a whole car usually. I remember back when I was a teenager a local yard in Muncie Indiana where I grew up had three early Pontiac Grand Prix sitting side by side with those odd 8 lug wheels they used to have. One even had a trip-power on it. They would sell parts but not whole cars.

Yes I know I am rambling...

Chris

It's such ashame so many nice Intrepids end up in the junkyard. If people spend 20+ grand on their car, why not spend an extra 3-4 on a replacement engine? Get a nice 3.2L or 3.5L and you won't have to worry about engine issues. Heaven forbid ours goes, I'll get a 3.2L or 3.5L...my baby will never end up in the junkyard to be crushed and turned into soda cans <_<

Edited by Dodgefan

Dodgefan:

I got a phonecall from XP715 about 2 weeks ago when that car came into Lowell Used.

He called me all in a panic and told me to use my connections to save that Imapala

since the guy @ the junkyard said to XP that "it's worht more parted out than together"

I made a couple phone calls and did my best. Last I heard my buddy Kenny was going

to check the car out since he's in the wholesale business. He's in a much better postion

to save the car than I am. Wish I had the time ot go check it out in person.

Hey Chris- ever notice any '59 Buicks or cab-over-engine Ford trucks from the '40s in that OH yard?

Yes, I have seen 40's COE trucks in yards, I am pretty sure they had one at J.C. Radiator where they crushed everything.

59 Buick-I will see when I go back. Most of the cars in that yard are picked bare, do you need a trim piece or something? Sheetmetal will be shot to hades and back, I guarantee.

Shame to see Intrepids crushed, some days I still wish I had my Concorde.

I would think just the Tub from that impla ragtop would be worth a grand or two, with everything picked out of it.

It has been forever since I have seen an imkpala ragtop like that on the road.

Chris

Dodgefan:

I got a phonecall from XP715 about 2 weeks ago when that car came into Lowell Used.

He called me all in a panic and told me to use my connections to save that Imapala

since the guy @ the junkyard said to XP that "it's worht more parted out than together"

I made a couple phone calls and did my best. Last I heard my buddy Kenny was going

to check the car out since he's in the wholesale business. He's in a much better postion

to save the car than I am. Wish I had the time ot go check it out in person.

I hope someone gets to save that car, it'd be such a shame for it to end up crushed.

I have to go back to the junkyard this week..before they crush that Prizm or something, to get the rear-driver's side door handle. Yesterday I went ton the door and one of the hinges broke!

Edited by Dodgefan