Need to *help* a colleague at work...

Alright, so there's another teacher I work with that owns a 2003 or 2004 Chrylser Sebring convertible. This is her 2nd one and she's had her share of repair horrors (1st one had too many tranny problems). She wants a new convertible sometime this summer. Another colleague bought a 2006 Toyota Solara convertible last summer and loves it; no problems and claims because it's a Toyota. Now my 1st colleague has owned nothing buy domestic cars and is considering her first foreign car. She needs trunk room for her beach stuff and backseat room for her young niece and nephew. That rules out the Pontiac G6. I showed her the Saab 9-3 convertible, but the price is more than she wants to spend. There's nothing else GM offers that I can show her. She is not buying another Chrysler Sebring either.

That leaves me with the Ford Mustang (V6). She said if I check it out and find that it has a comfortable back seat and room in the trunk, she'll consider it before going over to Toyota. This seems like my last hope - I can't stand seeing Toyo get another sale! Am I wasting my time here? She's older (mid-50s) but is a young person at heart. She thinks the new Mustangs look nice, but feels that they'll be too small (rear seat & trunk). Are there any other convertibles I'm missing?

Please help me!!!

G6 hardtop, though it may be on the pricey side. Honestly, the Solara isn't a bad vert, far better than the Sebring and far fewer compromises than a Mustang, which has a pretty small trunk and no fold-down rear seats.

If the Solara is the car that best suits her needs, convince her to buy a used one from a non-Toyota dealer.

She could do that, but in that case, she should also check out a used Saab 9-3 Convertible.

See how it goes with the Mustang, though. I'd much rather the sale go to Ford than to Toyota.

Alternatively, you could convince her to get an SSR, have the bed lid removed, and let her niece and nephew sit in the bed. :P

Also, if the niece and nephew are little kids, they shouldn't need too much backseat room. If they're in their late teens or are adults, all bets are off.

A new Solara starts at about $28k, a CPO 9-3 convertible for about the same money would have close to 40,000 miles, going by what I just found on a CPO search on Saab's website.

A new EOS (starts at under $28K) with an extended warranty?

Solara 'vert might be the worst car in Toyota's line-up, IMO. Cowl shake and squeaky trim are standard, from purchase.

The Mustang back seat is going to be a deal breaker. unfortunately, the only US suggestion is the new Sebring or PT, which has a surprising amount of backseat room.

Another possibility is a CPO Saab, which has a great warranty and such a steep depreciation curve that it might be within reach for this individual, if you factor in an aggressive financing rate.

Edited by enzl

CPO E46 3er ragtop...

:P

I know you guys probably hate to hear it...but seriously, there isn't much available from GM other than the G6 (which I don't know if I would consider) and the 9-3. I suppose a used 9-3 would be a good car, but I bet you could find a comparable 3er for a good price as well and that would be a better car...the mustang is the only choice from Ford (edit: actually, I just remembered the Volvo C70, but I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find one at a low enough price), and the only choice from Chrysler is the sebring which she doesn't want...

You could actually find one for a decent price I'm sure. They're nice cars...the back seats aren't horrible, and trunk space is fairly adequate. If not that maybe an older CLK? To find one at a decent price though you might be looking at an older car than what would be CPO'd...

Edited by Nick

enzl has brought up a good suggestion, if she is game for another Chrysler: PT Cruiser convertible. From what I understand, the PT is a reliable car, and Chrysler does have lots of experience with convertibles.

The EOS is attractive, I recently saw one in town... top up, windows down... looked nice... but pricey.

The current Solara convertible is ugly as sin... I too prefer the earlier bodystyle. But Toyotas are evil.

Mustang is a honey, too... I really don't think the Ford's back seat is that much smaller than a Sebring, is it? And doesn't the Mustang have a decent amount of trunk room?

hamper, cooler, …

In this class there aren't a great many choices—the G6, Sebring and Solara are all there is below $50K, none of them recommended by enthusiast magazines. Of course if she can hold off a while there will be in addition to the Mustang, CLK and 9-3 the Camaro in the next size down. European choices are mainly in the C/D-segment (Astra, Focus, 307, Eos, Megane etc.), off which only the Eos and the more expensive A4 and 3-series are available in North America. There is of course the Eclipse Spider, possibly not the most reliable ride but then when was the last time a Camry won an award for quality?

A base Eos is like a base Civic, just there for the sake of price. You'll never find one on a lot, and wouldn't buy one if you did find it. The base model is only offered in 3 colors and is fairly stripped. Honestly, I love the looks of the Eos, but wouldn't even bother with either of the two lower end models, the V6 seems like the only worthwhile engine.

Well, she seems open to the Mustang, although other colleagues tell her that they feel the Solara is more her style (?!?!). She definitely needs a 4-seater (SKY, Solstice, Crossfire all ruled out), must be a brand new car (no used or CPO), doesn't want another Chrysler (no new Sebring or PT Cruiser conv - after 2 problematic Sebrings, who could blame her?; she's also hesitant b/c of the sale of Chrysler), wants something that offers rear seat room plus adequate trunk space (this is her only car, and she keeps way too much stuff in the Sebring's limited space anyway), wants it to be reliable and as problem-free as a car can be, and doesn't want to spend a small fortune for a "car" (meaning around $25K). She thinks getting it in the fall would be the best for saving money, but I told her that the summer sell-offs would probably be better and allow her a choice rather than whatever's just leftover.

She asked me to look into the Mustang for her and tell her if the trunk space and back seat room are good. She also wants to see a brochure for pictures and features. I'm going to try to stop by the local Ford dealership today after work; too bad I didn't bring the SKY with me :P

Does it have to be a car? Because the Wrangler pwns as a beach vehicle.