ECHOs...the fool's choice for efficiency!

Noticed this on Craigslist.

2000 Toyota Echo

Car runs and looks like-new. Beautiful inside and out. Only 81k miles! Ice-cold air, automatic transmission, CD player and very fuel efficient*.

* I have all records of fuel intakes and calculated average mileage as 31 miles/Gallon!

WOW! OMG! For that car to get that mileage is pathetic. :rotflmao:

sure hope that was mostly city driving... and even then it's not good enough to make an echo worth driving regularly.

sure hope that was mostly city driving... and even then it's not good enough to make an echo worth driving regularly.

Yeah. What they said.

I'd rather push my 77 Caddy uphill to work BOTH ways

than drive a free Echo. The Echo makes the Tercel it

replaced like a 3-series BMW.

31 mpg sounds about right for combined city/hwy driving for such a small engine. I have been driving a Pursuit for about a month now and am averaging about 26 mpg in combined, but I am very hard on the motor. My '87 Shadow used to get 29 mpg with a turbo and 5 spd.

As I've maintained for some time, small engines do not necessarily get GREAT gas mileage when pushed hard. EPA numbers are a joke because the way they drive is not realistic.

We see a lot of Echoes up here, and now the Yaris is everywhere, just because of that big "T" on the hood.

I'd rather push my 77 Caddy uphill to work BOTH ways

than drive a free Echo. The Echo makes the Tercel it

replaced like a 3-series BMW.

You know, the Tercel, for what it was, was not a bad looking little car...especially compared to the $h!box Echo. I agree, I'd rater push a car...or more logically, walk or ride a bike (or just buy a motorcycle...they get like 75 mpg) than drive or even sit in one of those things.

Yep.

And I just saw one on the side of the road yesterday too...

There's a lot of them on campus...I hate them so very much

31 mpg sounds about right for combined city/hwy driving for such a small engine. I have been driving a Pursuit for about a month now and am averaging about 26 mpg in combined, but I am very hard on the motor. My '87 Shadow used to get 29 mpg with a turbo and 5 spd.

As I've maintained for some time, small engines do not necessarily get GREAT gas mileage when pushed hard. EPA numbers are a joke because the way they drive is not realistic.

We see a lot of Echoes up here, and now the Yaris is everywhere, just because of that big "T" on the hood.

I'd rather drive a Shadow than an Echo...was your's a 2.2 or 2.5 Turbo?

--

How stable are Echos on the highway?

Dodgefan, I had a '87 Shadow ES with the 2.2 turbo, 5 spd. Pretty quick car for it's time. I agree that the last generation Tercel was a pretty decent looking car, by comparison. I actually ventured onto a Toyota lot (gasp!) in '91, before I eventually bought (ordered, actually) a '91 Caprice to replace my (thankfully) leased Shadow. I was looking at the Previa, but my (ex)boyfriend had had a '82 Tercel (rustbucket - the rear wheels actually collapsed into the wheel wells), so he was curious about the (then) new body style Tercel. We took it for a drive. Not bad, really, but even then I was wary of Japanese vehicles and felt it my duty NOT to buy one.

"My Cobalt 2.2 regularly gets 40+ MPG on the highway!"

I'm glad to hear others getting the same gas mileage we did.

And yes, we didn't gun it to get such gas mileage, but we did keep up with traffic and drove slightly above the speed limit.

I'm glad to hear others getting the same gas mileage we did.

And yes, we didn't gun it to get such gas mileage, but we did keep up with traffic and drove slightly above the speed limit.

I was being sarcastic. I have yet to see any such non-empirical evidence over a period of time.