Your unattainable dream cars

Here's one of mine, the Citroen SM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

3.0l V6 from the Merek, Citroen innovation, and a bit of American panache. Features include swiviling, self-leveling headlamps with glass shielding, self-centering power steering, rainsensing wipers, and the famous hydropneumatic suspension system which delivered a composed but oh-so smooth ride over any terrain. As some regular Top Gear viewers know, Citroens were notably used as camera cars due to ability to glide over rough surfaces. Some Citroens can even reportedly be driven on three wheels thanks to this suspension setup.

Just under 13,000 were built, about 2,400 of which were exported to America. When I was about four or five, I remember walking with my parents up and down the beachfront houses. Beautiful old-money Cadillacs, spendthrift Corvettes, and Mercedes sat in driveways. But at the end of the cul-de-sac, an old Spanish-style mansion always had a black SM parked out front, partially shrouded by palms. It was so mysterious to me at that time and, yeah, I still want one.

I wish GM would take a poll, and take the top 10 best car models that people voted on and remake them, 1 car model per year for 10 years. Imagine them rebuilding the 1969 GTO Judge or whatever is your favorite again for 1 whole year.

Love this fantasy!

Can we find a legal loophole to allow it?

Fly: I hate to admit it, but I think the SM is kinda cool too.

1. "Tiger Hunt" 1931 Cadillac V16 roadster by Pinninfarina

2. "Red Devil" 1931 Cadillac V16 dual cowl phaeton (tripple red)

3. Duesenberg SJ dual cowl phaeton

4. Bugatti Veyron

5. 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham

The French do indeed know how to build sweet cars.

Unattainable for me would be a really cool 55 Pontiac ragtop in all black...

Or

The experience of buying a 69 Dodge Charger R/T brand new off of the dealer lot

Or

Just being a good enough driver myself to drive a c-4/c5, Solstice GXP, The Sunoco 69 Z-28 SCCA car, or a 1LE Camaro at the absolute utter limit in their natural environment.

Chris

Posted Image

I'm still holding out for my Brewster-bodied 1915 Crane-Simplex roadster. This is the only one ever made and God bless whoever saved it. As for other dream cars:

-any other Simplex

-any American Underslung

-any Duesenberg

-any Auburn

-any Pierce-Arrow, especially those made before 1934, and double especially a 1916 Model 66 (largest stock engine ever put in a passenger car: 825 cubic inches for those of you keeping score at home)

-any Senior Packard made before World War II

-1932 Packard Light Eight coupe-roadster with dual sidemounts

-my friend Robert's 1932 Studebaker President coupe-roadster

aaaaaaaaaaand about a million more Classics from the pre-war era. Far too many to ever list here.