45 posts in this topic

Here's mine

1. Vue

2. CX-7

3. RAV (even though i hate its looks)

3. Outlander

3. Torrent (only due to GXP)

6. Equinox

6. Escape / Mariner (hybrid and v6 help)

8. CRV

9. Grand Vitara

10. Forester

Edited by regfootball

Smaller - 179" long and less.

Grand Vitara

Tuscun

Patriot

Sportage

CR-V

Mariner

Escape

Forester

Larger - 180" long and more.

CX-7

RDX

Outlander

Vue

RAV4

Sorento

Torrent

Equinox

Here's mine

1. Vue

2. CX-7

3. RAV (even though i hate its looks)

3. Outlander

3. Torrent (only due to GXP)

6. Equinox

6. Escape / Mariner (hybrid and v6 help)

8. Patriot

9. CRV

9. Grand Vitara

11. Compass

12. Forester

12. Sportage/Tuscon

Edited by regfootball

Yeah the Forester is one hell of a cute ute, and the Mitsubishi Outlander is one craptastic mess if you ask me (look wise).

I'm curious as to why the Forester is rated so low by you guys..... below the Compass?

frameless windows

small

unattractive

lesbian stigma

Frameless windows are awesome. I probably would have forgotten about the Forester completely if I were making this list.

i've had too many ear slicings by the frameless windows in my diamantes and GM cars in the past.

i suppose the rondo does belong on the list somewhere. near the bottom, of course. the rondo is pricey when optioned out.

Edited by regfootball

• X3 3.0si
  • VUE Redline
  • CX-7 Grand Touring
  • RDX 13.8
  • VUE XR/XE V-6
  • Equinox Sport/Torrent GXP
  • RAV4 Sport V-6
  • Forester 2.5 XT
  • Escape/Mariner Hybrid
  • VUE I-4/Green Line
  • CR-V
  • RAV4 I-4
  • LR2
  • Outlander
  • Equinox/Torrent
  • Forester
  • Grand Vitara
  • Escape/Mariner
  • Sportage/Tucson
  • Compass/Patriot

i've had too many ear slicings by the frameless windows in my diamantes and GM cars in the past.

i suppose the rondo does belong on the list somewhere. near the bottom, of course. the rondo is pricey when optioned out.

EAR SLICINGS?

What did you do???

Hmm...

• Vue Red Line
  • Outlander (love the sharp looks)
  • LR2
  • Liberty (current)
  • Torrent GXP
  • Grand Vitara
  • Forrester (pre-refresh..I like the front end better)
  • RAV4 Sport V-6
  • Escape
  • Patriot
  • CR-V
Of those, the top 3 are the only ones I'd really consider.

The Nitro, CX-7, and new Liberty are too big to be "compact" I think, hence why they aren't on the list.

Edited by Dodgefan

Sounds bloody!

I'm curious as to why the Forester is rated so low by you guys..... below the Compass?

I love Subaru and I'm sure its a great vehicle, but the Forester is the one vehicle that I cannot stand the styling of. Plus, it's more of a wagon/hatchback than a crossover, to me.

Frameless windows are awesome.

Agree.

• X3 3.0si
  • VUE Redline
  • CX-7 Grand Touring
  • RDX 13.8
  • VUE XR/XE V-6
  • Equinox Sport/Torrent GXP
  • RAV4 Sport V-6
  • Forester 2.5 XT
  • Escape/Mariner Hybrid
  • VUE I-4/Green Line
  • CR-V
  • RAV4 I-4
  • LR2
  • Outlander
  • Equinox/Torrent
  • Forester
  • Grand Vitara
  • Escape/Mariner
  • Sportage/Tucson
  • Compass/Patriot
13.4, i thought. lol

Frameless windows are awesome.

Unless you own a MINI :AH-HA_wink:

[excluding tweeners like the CX-7, plus luxury compact SUVs and hybrids]

1. RAV4 (as much as it pains me to admit it)

2. Outlander

3. Vue

4. CR-V

5. Torrent (best looking compact SUV out there, pushes it into the top 5)

6. Mariner (even though it is a "Woman's Escape")

7. Tribute

8. Compass (would get a bit of a boost if it had a decent interior)

9. Tucson

10. Sportage

11. Equinox

12. Escape

13. Grand Vitara

I don't understand you guys. The Grand Vitara is about the only mini-ute I would seriously consider for myself - it's the only one with a real body-on-frame structure, which means you could potentially take it somewhere that actually counts as off-road. That, and you can get it with a stick, which is always a plus. (Also, I'm partial to the engine - it's a 2.7-liter derivative of the same fine KL-series V6 that powers my current Mazda 626.)

My dad just bought a Honda Element, which is an absolutely perfect update of the Volkswagen Bus concept (roomy, easy-to-drive and supremely economical) - haven't taken it off-road, though, so we'll see about that yet.

As for the rest: The Torrent/Equinox still strike me as cheap, the RAV4 is now way overblown from its original concept (remember the first one in '96?), the Tucson/Sportage are boring as hell, the CR-V is even uglier than before (if that's possible), the Escape/Mariner/Tribute are incredibly old, the Nitro is a badly-designed piece of crap, I'll wait for the new Liberty, the Outlander is at least quick but has the unfortunate problem of being a Mitsubishi, and the Forester is barely more than a car.

And no, I'm not a big sport-ute fan. Why do you ask? :rolleyes:

I don't understand you guys. The Grand Vitara is about the only mini-ute I would seriously consider for myself - it's the only one with a real body-on-frame structure, which means you could potentially take it somewhere that actually counts as off-road. That, and you can get it with a stick, which is always a plus. (Also, I'm partial to the engine - it's a 2.7-liter derivative of the same fine KL-series V6 that powers my current Mazda 626.)

My dad just bought a Honda Element, which is an absolutely perfect update of the Volkswagen Bus concept (roomy, easy-to-drive and supremely economical) - haven't taken it off-road, though, so we'll see about that yet.

As for the rest: The Torrent/Equinox still strike me as cheap, the RAV4 is now way overblown from its original concept (remember the first one in '96?), the Tucson/Sportage are boring as hell, the CR-V is even uglier than before (if that's possible), the Escape/Mariner/Tribute are incredibly old, the Nitro is a badly-designed piece of crap, I'll wait for the new Liberty, the Outlander is at least quick but has the unfortunate problem of being a Mitsubishi, and the Forester is barely more than a car.

And no, I'm not a big sport-ute fan. Why do you ask? :rolleyes:

Trouble is, if you're not the off-roading type, the Grand Vitara falls flat. Sure, it's reasonably attractive and affordable, but it's also more unrefined than most, lacks brand equity, has a so-so interior and a big ugly tyre on the back (which I can somewhat tolerate on the RAV4 as it is vastly better in other areas). Besides, how many Suzuki dealers are around?

The Equinox strikes me as just a metal-for-your-money deal and a bit too 90's GM for my taste. The only reason the Torrent graces my good books is because I am a bit of a Pontiac fan and it is the most attractive cute ute out there.

The RAV4 may be much larger and different in concept to its predecessors but it looks great inside and out, has all the usual Toyota perks, a powerful V6 and is well-suited to either a family or a single person. The Outlander, I agree, is unfortunate in that it is a Mitsubishi, but alas it is quite a good car. Resale values and a cheapish interior are the only downsides I can see, and it is almost attractive as a Torrent.

The CR-V is a lot more... friendly than its predecessors and I am warming to its styling but it is terrible value. And the Escape/Mariner/Tribute triplets are pretty damn uncompetitive and I wouldn't recommend any of them bar the Hybrid variants. The Mariner, though, is pretty stylish and I suppose my vanity says I wouldn't mind it.

Damn. I feel like revising my choices. Push the Equinox and Compass up and drop the Tribute down. Done.

car and driver has a 9 chick ute comparo.

the steaming pile RAV4 won and the super cute girl rav4 takes 2nd. to match the size of the paychecks.

1.rav4

2.crv

3.rogue (depsite best handling and performance and power and cheapest base price)

4.outlander

5. grand vitara (where was the xl-7?)

6.vue

7.escape

8.tucson

9.liberty (why not patriot?)

where was the equinox?

I thought C&D's comparison test was crap. Who takes a car based crossover into mud like that? This test had little validity to me since the vehicles were not used for their intended purpose.

Although this is yet another segment I'd never consider, I will say this much after driving a Rav4.

It has surprisingly good power.

It felt so cramped inside that if it is number1 in the segment there is no need to look at any of the others.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0