Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Newbiewar

why does GM allow toyota to say they have most powerful truck?

52 posts in this topic

The toyota advertizements have been claiming the 381 hp tundra is the most powerful in its class... when the denali 6.2 with 403? hp is the only truck with over 400 hp...?

why does GM allow this advertisement to take place?

Only thing I can think of is if the fine print on the Tundra commercials says "based on 2006 MY competitors" or something like that.

The same reason GM has allowed pretty much EVERYONE in the market to kick them in the face for years: THEY HAVE HORRIBLE MARKETING AND COULDN'T SELL WATER TO A NOMAD. (And that goes for Ford too)

Prime example: Both the Titan and the Tundra have recently launched smear campaigns against the F-150 and Silverado, yet the only Silverado commercial I see is that "golly gee whiz" chrome edition commercial that the DEALERS finance.

The Toyota "Not your fathers truck" commercial especially pisses me off.

The same reason GM has allowed pretty much EVERYONE in the market to kick them in the face for years: THEY HAVE HORRIBLE MARKETING AND COULDN'T SELL WATER TO A NOMAD. (And that goes for Ford too)

Prime example: Both the Titan and the Tundra have recently launched smear campaigns against the F-150 and Silverado, yet the only Silverado commercial I see is that "golly gee whiz" chrome edition commercial that the DEALERS finance.

The Toyota "Not your fathers truck" commercial especially pisses me off.

Yeah. GM needs some kick in the ass commercials. It would be nice if they turn the "Not your father's truck" around onto Toy.

"The Tundra is not your father's truck because your father's truck can kick some serious butt!"

Your Father's truck gets a 5-star crash safety rating and runs 300K miles without the engine falling apart. You are right it is not your Father's truck.

how bad ass would it be to point out toyota as a fake, copy cat... in front of everyone's eyes?

say... toyota's started out... as mirror images of chevrolet's mechanically... so much so that... you could use chevrolet parts in the motor's of toyota...

certain slogans like baseball apple pie and chevrolet or was it "Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolet" baseball apple pie & toyota?

and its not your fathers buick? its not your fathers truck? yuck...

i'm certain there is more factual coping... but flybrain and others would be able to help me out...

Well, I'm going to keep an eye out for the ad. There is probably some disclaimer that allows it, but I know for a fact GMC is advertising the Sierra Denali and its 6.0l Vortec as the most powerful truck in its class, that class being half-ton pickups. Tundra is likewise in that class.

It wouldn't be the first time Toyota mislead on power ratings. Remember the 280hp Avalon? Oh, I mean the 270hp Avalon? Wait...the 268hp Avalon.

Only thing I can think of is if the fine print on the Tundra commercials says "based on 2006 MY competitors" or something like that.

"under $x,000"

The toyota advertizements have been claiming the 381 hp tundra is the most powerful in its class... when the denali 6.2 with 403? hp is the only truck with over 400 hp...?

why does GM allow this advertisement to take place?

Well, I can think of 2 things......a "dollars-and-sense thing".....and a "pick-your-battles" thing.

It most likely doesn't make a huge amount of sense to spend significant advertising dollars on a low-volume product such as the Sierra Denali in order to "combat" Toyota's claim of superiority.

NOW....if Silverado offered that same powertrain, GM would be in much better position to hit back at Toyota.......as the Silverado IS the largest volume in the range and does receive already the most advertising and marketing support.

It wouldn't be the first time Toyota mislead on power ratings. Remember the 280hp Avalon? Oh, I mean the 270hp Avalon? Wait...the 268hp Avalon.

Yeah....LOL....like the 240-hp Impala 3.9L.....oh, I mean the 233-hp Impala 3.9L......

:scratchchin:

Let's not get into yet ANOTHER debate over the new SAE horsepower ratings changes....

:banghead:

Its not your father's truck because your father was a man.

:rotflmao:

I am sooo using that for a Silverado ad for the marketing thread. :thumbsup:

Or because your father had an actual penis. Sorry had to say it. Tundra's are for me with small dicks, actually no dick's at all. I have said that time and time again.

The reason why GM never responds to any commericals is because GM lives in a self grandiose bubble.

Plus, GM has cut themselves off from reality.

They had no idea that the government was going to increase CAFE so they did not prepare for it. GM also figured that Toyota could not produce a decent truck because Toyota is still a niche player according to GM.

Hybrids and the Toyota Prius is a joke and no one will be buying them.

SUVs will always be great sellers because gas will always be at $1.75 a gallon.

And so on and so on!!

Yeah....LOL....like the 240-hp Impala 3.9L.....oh, I mean the 233-hp Impala 3.9L......

Let's not get into yet ANOTHER debate over the new SAE horsepower ratings changes....

Actually, let's. Because Toyota continuted to advertise the Avalon at this specious 270hp rating for quite some time though it had absolutely no reason to be using a clearly false figure.

Congratulations! You found one GM vehicle that the hp rating dropped. YOu must have a good memory. On the other hand, more than a dozen Lexus and Toyota models dropped - some by more than 20 hp. That's more than a coincidence and more than an accident. Nearly all of Ford's and GM's numbers stayed the same or even went UP.

>>"Toyota continuted to advertise the Avalon at this specious 270hp rating for quite some time though it had absolutely no reason to be using a clearly false figure."<<

Today I heard a honda radio commercial where they were using the tired 'service station workers are the loneliest' when they watch all the hondas go by. Because they never stop in. Funny thing is, the legalese said the claim for the highest mileage was based on 2005 figures !! Working the dead Impact's numbers in, by chance ?

>>"Toyota continuted to advertise the Avalon at this specious 270hp rating for quite some time though it had absolutely no reason to be using a clearly false figure."<<

Today I heard a honda radio commercial where they were using the tired 'service station workers are the loneliest' when they watch all the hondas go by. Because they never stop in. Funny thing is, the legalese said the claim for the highest mileage was based on 2005 figures !! Working the dead Insight's numbers in, by chance ?

Friendly edit.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/produ...ibu_Maxx_SS.pdf

The VVT engine will do 240 quite nicely.

Are you sure you saw the Impala advertised at 240? Or on a Window sticker?

GM is probably the most honest, best regarded manufacturer when it comes to vehicle horsepower.

All the GM SAE specs are posted online - http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/...other/index.htm.

Still waiting for Toyota and Honda to do the same with independently verified SAE results.

Waiting.

Patiently waiting.

Rip Van Winkle timescale waiting.

Sequoia Trees are born and die, waiting.

Tectonic plates form continents, waiting.

:lol:

Every single Toyota and Honda engine is SAE J1349 certified. Don't see what's the big deal about it.

Really?

Truly?

You wouldn't lie about this would you?

Surely if those lesser manufacturers are proud of their 210 200 196 horsepower engines,

the should at least have the cahones to post their SAE test results on the web.

I mean, yeah, it's tough to meet that higher standard that GM has set.

And someday those lesser manufacturers "might" step up to the plate.

But until then.....

Still waiting.

Himalayas turned to flatland waiting.

8)

Really?

Truly?

You wouldn't lie about this would you?

Surely if those lesser manufacturers are proud of their 210 200 196 horsepower engines,

the should at least have the cahones to post their SAE test results on the web.

I mean, yeah, it's tough to meet that higher standard that GM has set.

And someday those lesser manufacturers "might" step up to the plate.

But until then.....

Still waiting.

Himalayas turned to flatland waiting.

8)

Huh? What's with all the sarcasm and weird poetry. Are you a prick like this in real life as well? It's just a discussion forum man, take it easy.

The engine you mentioned was SAE rated, not intially, but towards the end. That explains the drop in the HP. But since then, every engine they've put out is SAE rated. Pretty much every single manufacturer does it nowadays. So if you're looking at an 07 or 08 model for instance, the engine will be SAE rated for power and will correspond to the new EPA standards for gas mileage.

Huh? What's with all the sarcasm and weird poetry. Are you a prick like this in real life as well? It's just a discussion forum man, take it easy.

The engine you mentioned was SAE rated, not intially, but towards the end. That explains the drop in the HP. But since then, every engine they've put out is SAE rated. Pretty much every single manufacturer does it nowadays. So if you're looking at an 07 or 08 model for instance, the engine will be SAE rated for power and will correspond to the new EPA standards for gas mileage.

But they weren't SAE rated initially and Toyota advertised the hell out of the false/inaccurate numbers.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0