Ron Paul - (R) Presidential Candidate 2008

Anybody know about this guy? I've heard lots of good things about him. He seems to be particularly popular with Internet folk.

Official Ron Paul 2008 Website

Honestly, I have no idea who I would vote for in the upcoming presidential election. Currently, it would probably be Paul, McCain, Giuliani, or abstain, in that order. At any rate, I can't very much trust anything the corporate media says, since that's more or less what I'm voting against.

(I am aware of Lounge rule #2. I'm hoping this will spark nothing more than -- at most -- a constructive debate.)

Edited by aaaantoine

He's lagging in the polls... but for technological reasons. Apparently he is extremely popular with younger generations. Younger generations are also more likely to use only a cell phone and not have any landline at all. Phone polling never calls cell phones, only landline phones. Apparently this is skewing the results substantially.

From his website:

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

He has never voted to raise taxes.

He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.

He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.

He has never voted to raise congressional pay.

He has never taken a government-paid junket.

He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.

He voted against regulating the Internet.

He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.

He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.

Dr. Paul tirelessly works for limited constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, and a return to sound monetary policies.

Sounds like he'd be a good candidate. Then again, I voted for a similar guy in my country, and didn't get the results I was looking for. <_<

Brief Overview of Congressman Paul’s Record:

He has never voted to raise taxes.

He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.

He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.

He has never voted to raise congressional pay.

He has never taken a government-paid junket.

He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.

He voted against regulating the Internet.

He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.

He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.

Sounds pretty good, but then so do a lot of politicians who fail to impress once elected. I'm tired of the Republicans in office, but then there's no Democrat I want elected either...they all pretty much suck.

Sounds pretty good, but then so do a lot of politicians who fail to impress once elected. I'm tired of the Republicans in office, but then there's no Democrat I want elected either...they all pretty much suck.

Yeah, I get the same sense of jadedness regarding our candidates.

This is the extent of the negativity I've read about Ron. I'm sure I'll find more dirt if I keep digging.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/archive.php?id=20070621

see his appearance on the colbert nation? it'd be nice to shed lots of the government "flab" it's accumulated since ..... the 1800's. sadly "we" all think the president can do tons of things, but he was supposed to be the foriegn "ambassador". that's hardly what's been going on for the past 100 years.

True that.

But I'm not much for enforcing that rule.

Carry on.

Well I was sticking out my tongue so I didn't actually care. Besides there is only one quasi politician I ever liked and that was William Wallace of Scotland, F R E E D O M! That's all you need. By the way I tried on my 1st kilt today, you know I only have 13 more months before that wedding in Scotland! :AH-HA_wink:

Well I was sticking out my tongue so I didn't actually care. Besides there is only one quasi politician I ever liked and that was William Wallace of Scotland, F R E E D O M! That's all you need. By the way I tried on my 1st kilt today, you know I only have 13 more months before that wedding in Scotland! :AH-HA_wink:

:thumbsup:

we need at least one pic of you in a Marylin Monroe pose

This guy doesn't sound half bad...even with my rabid loathing for Republicans.

Mind you, I'm no big fan of Democrats, either (I personally believe that political parties be abolished)...though my voting habits tend to side with them.

Edited by AxelTheRed