Flybrian

Chrysler Imperial (finally) officially dead

50 posts in this topic

Fuel mileage fears doom Chrysler Imperial
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ DetNews

Chrysler, the fourth-largest U.S. automaker, dropped plans for the new Imperial luxury sedan because of rising gasoline prices and tougher fuel-economy regulations, Bloomberg News and the Windsor Star reported today.

Executives made the decision within the past few weeks, Chrysler spokesman Ed Saenz told Bloomberg today. The Auburn Hills-based automaker unveiled the Imperial two years ago and had planned to start production in 2009 in Brampton, Ontario.

"There was no business case for us to bring it to the market," Saenz said. "We will continue to look for a future product for the plant." The decision won't affect any of the factory's 3,500 jobs, he said.

Fuel mileage fears doom Chrysler Imperial

Posted Image

And it's a damn good thing, too. That piece of crap looks like it came straight out of the 80s!

And it's a damn good thing, too. That piece of crap looks like it came straight out of the 80s!

I think it is from the 80's! :P

Please tell me you were being sarcastic. Please!

I'm glad. The new Imperial was a useless monstrosity. Sorta like the Hummer H1.

Please tell me you were being sarcastic. Please!

That ship left port about 20 minutes ago.

At any rate, I was hoping it would be obvious.

Bring back Imperial? YES!

Produce the 2006 Concept? NO!!!!

These are Imperials:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

I'm glad. The new Imperial was a useless monstrosity. Sorta like the Hummer H1.

H1 was the best of the bunch, the H2 and H3....

YACK!!!!!!

This is great news! The last thing the company needed was to add this bloated, boxy, hideous, cut-rate Rolls Royce wannabe to their stable of mostly inferior products. Chrysler now needs to focus on fixing the rest of their ailing lineups and shortcomings. Once they reposition their brands, upgrade their interiors, offer competitive engine/transmission combos, and eliminate the stylists who keep cranking out disfigured exterior designs (2007 Sebring, 2008 minivans, 2008 Liberty, etc.), then they can concentrate on expanding into luxury territory. I would like to see Imperial eventually resurrected as a luxury make if Chrysler can turn their fortunes around. They have a lot of work cut out for them just fixing what's currently broken. Resurrecting Imperial would be a goal for the company's distant future.

Edited by cire

This is great news! The last thing the company needed was to add this bloated, boxy, hideous, cut-rate Rolls Royce wannabe to their stable of mostly inferior products. Chrysler now needs to focus on fixing the rest of their ailing lineups and shortcomings. Once they reposition their brands, upgrade their interiors, offer competitive engine/transmission combos, and eliminate the stylists who keep cranking out disfigured exterior designs (2008 Sebring, 2008 minivans, 2008 Liberty, etc.), then they can concentrate on expanding into luxury territory. I would like to see Imperial eventually resurrected as a luxury make if Chrysler can turn their fortunes around. They have a lot of work cut out for them just fixing what's currently broken. Resurrecting Imperial would be a goal for the company's distant future.

Hahaha

Fix those SRT vehicles first. Somebody musta taken off the restrictor plates!!!!!!

That Imperial isn't my cup-of-tea.

Somewhere, in a leopard-print computer chair, Snoop Dogg just read this article, cried a tear, then took another hit of the blunt and forgot what the hell he was crying about.

Holy Sh*t! A totally un-dumb idea by Chrysler!

That's a new one.

Looks like an SUV from the front to me!

The nose is about the same height as the nose on a Trailblazer

Holy Sh*t! A totally un-dumb idea by Chrysler!

That's a new one.

Hahaha

19 years old, and it doesn't show at all!

HONEST!

:rolleyes:

The nose is about the same height as the nose on a Trailblazer

Somebody should post a side by side of that Imperial and the Chrysler Aspen....

Hahaha

19 years old, and it doesn't show at all!

HONEST!

:rolleyes:

What? It is linguistically impossible to use the words 'Chrysler' and 'Smart' in the same sentence. So I have to improvise. :P

What? It is linguistically impossible to use the words 'Chrysler' and 'Smart' in the same sentence. So I have to improvise. :P

Interestingly, both brands were once owned by the same company.

Thank goodness.

Wow, you guys are all right. Nobody wants a car that looks as impressive as a Rolls or Bentley for under $50,000. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The car was only canceled due to fuel economy concerns, not because they didn't think people would buy it due to it's looks.

These are Imperials:

<snip>

This Imperial passed me on the Freeway doing at least 80 with no smoke.

Posted Image