2008 Malibu full order guide posted

rimtrim

This car shouldn't even have fleet sales. That is what the G6, Malibu Classic, Impala, etc are for. If Avis wants one, make them buy the LTZ at sticker price, then the resale value won't get wrecked. I have seen 06 Malibus for $12,900 and 07 Malibu V6s for $14,900 or so. Yet an 02-03 Camry 4 cylinder will sell for $13,000. Given that big a gap in resale, why will people buy a new Chevy. I wish they would stop the fleet sales of their good cars.

GM screwed up with the Malibu....AGAIN! What is with the 1LT and 2LT crap? Simplify it to a single LT, namely the 2LT with the Engine Package, with the 3.6-liter V-6 engine. And why can't you get a V-6 on retail LS models? Back in the day-just about any day-you could get the optional engine on the base model. No PEG's, no sport suspension to order, no nothing-not to mention the base models were far less equipped than they are today. Chevy Chevelle 300/Malibu anyone? Chevy Lumina Base? Its freaking nonsense, and its nonsense that the current crap model is continuing as a Classic when there is absolutely nothing memorable or landmark about the 2004-07 generation at all! And also that the Malibu is coming out so late is inexcusable. And this car needs bodyside moldings, standard, color-keyed, on all models. It looks nice, but it does not look nice enough to not look stripped without bodyside moldings. Its just not 1970 anymore.

GM screwed up with the Malibu....AGAIN! What is with the 1LT and 2LT crap? Simplify it to a single LT, namely the 2LT with the Engine Package, with the 3.6-liter V-6 engine. And why can't you get a V-6 on retail LS models? Back in the day-just about any day-you could get the optional engine on the base model. No PEG's, no sport suspension to order, no nothing-not to mention the base models were far less equipped than they are today. Chevy Chevelle 300/Malibu anyone? Chevy Lumina Base? Its freaking nonsense, and its nonsense that the current crap model is continuing as a Classic when there is absolutely nothing memorable or landmark about the 2004-07 generation at all! And also that the Malibu is coming out so late is inexcusable. And this car needs bodyside moldings, standard, color-keyed, on all models. It looks nice, but it does not look nice enough to not look stripped without bodyside moldings. Its just not 1970 anymore.

i have always loathed the fact that you cant buy the motor for whatever car you wanted unless you got a trim level. thats why b4c camaros stand out to me even though they look like the v6 slomaro's they go a z28 beating under the hood. my favorite cars at shows are the 66 byscaines with a bench seat, no air, no radio, a 4sp, and a mosterous 427 under the hood. looks better than any chevelle or camaro.

I second the bodyside moldings. These new sedans today are looking so blah and strippo without them. You can hardly tell a base model to a top of the line LTZ with the only difference being the rims and tire size. Why can't the better models have bodyside moldings with a nice chrome strip and the lesser versions use body color ones. I also agree about the silly 1LT, 2LT crap. It's so confusing. Just offer 2 models, a base and LT and make the V6 optional on both, 3500 on base models and 3.6 on LT. How hard can this be? GM should fire there current product planners and hire someone with some good old fashioned common sence.

I agree with the LT thing, Chevy does this on every model, some have LT 1, 2, 3. Cars should be base (which has no label) then LS, LT, LTZ. That is 4 trim levels with no repeats. On cars with 2 trim levels they can use just LS, LT.

The 4 cylinder should be base, LS, LT. The hybrid should be LS, LT, LTZ. V6 they can limit to LT, LTZ. They messed this all up though, what about people that want a luxury interior and high gas mileage? The hybrid has the low end interior only, and the nicer cars are 17/26 mpg V6 only. Personally I like power, but some people could care less and buy based on gas mileage, and Toyota offers leather and XLE trim with a fuel sipping 4 cylinder.

Just offer 2 models, a base and LT and make the V6 optional on both, 3500 on base models and 3.6 on LT. How hard can this be? GM should fire there current product planners and hire someone with some good old fashioned common sence.

Yeah... Just like the Aura XE & XR? Oh yeah... that worked out great for Saturn.

Clearly Chevy intends the Impala to remain their top seller. Although the Malibu will catch another 100k due to the styling drive/equipment upgrades.

Here's my prediction,

Malibu LS $18k

Malibu LT $19k

Malibu LT V-6 $21k

Malibu Hybrid $22k(Hybrid equipped to replace needed LTZ I-4)

Malibu LTZ V-6 $24k

Oh by the way if you were shocked that this car is not intended to defeat the Camry. Well, not to brag but, I knew that months ago.

GM's Camcord is coming from the brand without an Epsilon, drumroll please.........

Buick!

Yeah... Just like the Aura XE & XR? Oh yeah... that worked out great for Saturn.

The Aura was initially an unkown quantity at first, is higher priced than the Malibu and the Malibu offers a 4 cylinder which the Aura didn't do until the late model run Hybrids so I think that hurt the Saturn a bit. The Auras are selling quite briskly in my area and both Saturn dealers in neighboring cities now only carry 2008 models as the 2007's are all sold out. The increased model lineup of base 2.4, 3500, 3.6 and Hybrid will only see sales increase for 2008 and it's not so confusing like the Malibu with all the LS, LT1, LT2, LT3 and LTZ nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...

They said that but the 4cyl/6spd. is coming next year!

Ugh. Everything is always "Next year, next year."

I heard that about the 6 speed on GMT900's and check out that sexy 4 speed it still has.

Ugh. Everything is always "Next year, next year."

I heard that about the 6 speed on GMT900's and check out that sexy 4 speed it still has.

GM never made a formal announcement on the release date of 6-speed -900s; GM has explicitly said Spring 08 is launch for the 4cyl/6AT combo.

• 1 month later...

Here's my prediction,

Malibu LS $18k

Malibu LT $19k

Malibu LT V-6 $21k

Malibu Hybrid $22k(Hybrid equipped to replace needed LTZ I-4)

Malibu LTZ V-6 $24k

My guess was close to reality, Iwish the 'bu weren't so pricey on the LTZ.

Chevy has to realize that its sqeezing too close to the CTS @ $26k. What are Saturn, Pontiac, and buick gonna have for breathing room now?