Camino LS6

All kidding aside

GMC Caballero   141 members have voted

1. 1. What would you most prefer the Ute to be?

• Chevrolet
    • GMC
    • Pontiac
    • Other (Specify)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

176 posts in this topic

... after 20 years of waiting, I'm a bit disappointed to hear that I won't be getting an El Camino.

That GM has given, or plans to give, the VE ute to another brand other than Chevy.

I need some time to think this over.

So please use this thread to make the case for the Ute as a Chevy,Pontiac, or GMC.

I'll just sit back and read for a while.

Let's not make it a debate though, just state your position and support it.

Thanks.

I am very disappointed as well.

If I had to pick another brand to get the Ute, it would be GMC and I would name is Syclone. I think the Ute would be good as GMC's halo vehicle that no other vehicle has. Any Australian who uses a Ute for work can tell you that they are professional grade, and offered in the sportier trim levels this vehicle would appeal to those who want the utility of a truck but prefer the handling of a car. I can see alot of younger people buying a vehicle like this as well. It would also fit in with the BGP portfolio, with each brand offering something the others do not.

Thats my .02

Wait, so it's official? :huh:

Let's not forget how many annoying negative-nellys told

us for years how we were "dreaming" if we think there's

even the slightest chance of a 5th gen. Camaro.

Wait, so it's official? :huh:

Let's not forget how many annoying negative-nellys told

us for years how we were "dreaming" if we think there's

even the slightest chance of a 5th gen. Camaro.

Nothing is "official" yet, including the arrival of the Ute. But it sure looks like GM wants it as a GMC.

I like the "Camino" in your sig pic.

I figure a Pontiac ute doesn't make sense. Either Chevy or GMC would be more fitting. The last "out of the mainstream" Chevy truck was the SSR, and I don't see them much at all, maybe once or twice every few months. My Chevy buddy's didn't like them at all, maybe they have too narrow an imagination, not sure.

The utes are cool looking and somewhat practical. I like them!

I think I'd rather see it as a Pontiac if it's not going to be a Chevy. It doesn't really fit GMC's image, to me. It doesn't fit Pontiac's image that well either, but since it's essentially a sports sedan with a huge trunk instead of a back seat, it might as well be a Pontiac if it can't be a Chevy. It should be a Chevy, however.

I think I'd rather see it as a Pontiac if it's not going to be a Chevy. It doesn't really fit GMC's image, to me. It doesn't fit Pontiac's image that well either, but since it's essentially a sports sedan with a huge trunk instead of a back seat, it might as well be a Pontiac if it can't be a Chevy. It should be a Chevy, however.

Pontiac isn't well known for it's TRUCK division.

The Pontiac Aztec that had heavy Pontiac styling and it looked like cheese. The infectious kind.

:AH-HA_wink:

Chevy would be a natural IMO. Pontiac? Not so much. lol

There is an 8 page discussion of this over at that "other" GM site, I'm hoping for some "quality" input from our own.

Now, to step back into the background.

My :twocents:

It is a Commodore Ute, which means that in the US it should be marketed as part of BPG (because of the G8): GMC is a natural choice for that, as Pontiac and Ute don't seem to go well together. The only way I'd see a Chevrolet badge would be if the front end got a complete restyling, which would probably be too expensive in light of a low US sales target.

Edited by ZL-1

Pontiac isn't well known for it's TRUCK division.

The Pontiac Aztec that had heavy Pontiac styling and it looked like cheese. The infectious kind.

:AH-HA_wink:

Chevy would be a natural IMO. Pontiac? Not so much. lol

But it's not a truck... its a car with a bed.

It is a Commodore Ute, which means that in the US it should be marketed as part of BPG (because of the G8): GMC is a natural choice for that, as Pontiac and Ute don't seem to go well together. The only way I'd see a Chevrolet badge would be if the front end got a complete restyling, which would probably be too expensive in light of a low US sales target.

I agree. Keep the front end clean and tweak the front to suit a GMC grill opening.

Being a GMC, a Caballero can...

- Command a higher pricetag.

- Legitimately have a sport and luxury model in one (Denali).

- (If production is constrained) be distributed fairly among a smaller dealer network.

Quick!

Somebody post another take so I can stay out of it a while longer!

Must resist responding... :banghead:

Being a GMC, a Caballero can...

- Command a higher pricetag.

- Legitimately have a sport and luxury model in one (Denali).

- (If production is constrained) be distributed fairly among a smaller dealer network.

Like he said

From a business perspective, I'd say Pontiac. They can use the product and the cosmetics from the G8 can be carried over maximizing GM investment.

Sadly some GM marketing shmoe is likely cooking up a Pontiac "G8 Series" like the G6 stupidity. I don't see the Ute fitting with GMC all that well, particularly if only the higher line models are targeted for North American like they did with the G8.

After railing against GM's decision to barely change the Holden sedan to import it as a Pontiac, I am kind of relieved that the Ute won't be imported as a Chevy. Chevrolet has a new set of style identifiers to define the brand. A GMC in this unique segment has a clean slate. With little investment from the Aussie version, a GMC Syclone (PERFECT name, K.C.) could be given a face that links to the Acadia. And since it will be sold as a GMC, it won't be hurt as much by AU production constraints as a Chevy El Camino would, re: lower volume brand. If the Ute sells well as a GMC, perhaps a version of it will be built with Chevrolet styling DNA in NA in a few years, similar to what we've heard for Pontiac's G8. Another reason: technical information and technician training for the Aussie G8 can easily be transferred to a GMC version of the Ute, since it will be sold in the same dealership... why send all those Chevy mechanics to school on this when BPG techs will already be schooled in it?

Now we're going to have to ask some of our talented choppers to put a GMC face on this handsome new Ute, just to see how it would look.

Edited by ocnblu

Actually no.

Holden already puts a Chevy emblem on the Commodores going to the Middle East, so the Chevy face is already available.

After railing against GM's decision to barely change the Holden sedan to import it as a Pontiac, I am kind of relieved that the Ute won't be imported as a Chevy. Chevrolet has a new set of style identifiers to define the brand. A GMC in this unique segment has a clean slate. With little investment from the Aussie version, a GMC Syclone (PERFECT name, K.C.) could be given a face that links to the Acadia. And since it will be sold as a GMC, it won't be hurt as much by AU production constraints as a Chevy El Camino would, re: lower volume brand. If the Ute sells well as a GMC, perhaps a version of it will be built with Chevrolet styling DNA in NA in a few years, similar to what we've heard for Pontiac's G8.

Now we're going to have to ask some of our talented choppers to put a GMC face on this handsome new Ute, just to see how it would look.

I'd like to see those chops, I'll reserve comment on the rest.

I just edited my post above with another (perhaps to GM) compelling reason to make it a GMC.

Actually no.

Holden already puts a Chevy emblem on the Commodores going to the Middle East, so the Chevy face is already available.

I know, but we're talking US market here. There are no Pontiacs for sale in the Middle East, so there's no confusion between Chevy and Pontiac styling. In the US there would be confusion as the front end is the same as the G8.

this is tricky. El Camino has excellent cachet and recognition. Cabellero? not so much. But it would be good for GMC, but i could see it as a pontiac as well...

I'd LIKE to see the Holden Ute photoshopped with the grille from the Graphyte concept on it. After all that's the direction the yukon/sierra/acadia refresh will be heading.

Edited by jbartley

I don't care what its badged as as long as the platform is here... i can custom make chevy badging for it if i must

I'm not totally against the Ute being a GMC, but I think to make the biggest splash it should return as a Chevrolet. No offense to Roger or anyone else who prefers GMC over Chevy, but El Camino is a far more widely recognizable name than Caballero or even Sprint. Few people other than us car nuts even know that a GMC car/truck exists. Bringing the Caballero back before (or without) an El Camino would be like bringing back the Firebird without a Camaro, or Ford killing the Mustang, then bringing back the Mercury Capri. Send the Ute over as a Chevy first. They will sell every one they make, which could build the case for a Sprint/Caballero companion when NA Zeta production is in full swing.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room