All kidding aside

GMC Caballero  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What would you most prefer the Ute to be?

• Chevrolet
    • GMC
    • Pontiac
    • Other (Specify)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my opinion... i think pontiac ought to get the whole holden line-up... i dont think it would hurt to get pontiac inject with some entirely new/different additude... some people like that styling... and it doesnt neccessarily scream racer fan boy, it is elegant, and wouldnt hurt to get pontiac back as a full line of cars...

thats why i picked pontiac, if it were a gmc, i could only see, it not selling as much as it could if it were a chevy...

it depends what the goal is... if its to attain sales figures, chevy... all day every day... if its to make sense, pontiac along side the g8, to make profits, gmc...

Uncle Bob responds quickly!

He says that I make "excellent points" but that Chevy has "more stuff than they can focus on right now"

Hmmm.

That's a dumb response.

First, the vehicle would just need a new front fascia... it's already complete. Second, why does it matter what brand it is being developed for? If GM is currently developing 50 vehicles, it doesn't matter if 22 are Chevys or 23 are Chevys, does it?

The way I see it... is that Holden will be sending over a well-built. practical yet very fun vehicle, that will be totally unique in the North American market.

I suppose the badge matters for sentimental reasons, and I have loved El Camino's since I was little; but I would buy the vehicle in a heartbeat, no matter what badge is slapped on it's grille.

Edited by Captainbooyah

That's a dumb response.

First, the vehicle would just need a new front fascia... it's already complete. Second, why does it matter what brand it is being developed for? If GM is currently developing 50 vehicles, it doesn't matter if 22 are Chevys or 23 are Chevys, does it?

I don't know.

The response does seem a bit thin.

Uncle Bob responds quickly!

He says that I make "excellent points" but that Chevy has "more stuff than they can focus on right now"

Hmmm.

*raises eyebrow*

Hmmm...that is an interesting response.... What does Bob consider "more stuff than they can focus on right now", I wonder....?

At any rate ... I'd hope it would come as the Chevy El Camino.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I can’t stop driving" ... New Radicals ... 'Someday We'll Know'

I agree with the opinion that for the biggest splash the Ute should be released as an El Camino because it's a name everybody knows and it's got a great history behind it. The El Camino has a proud legacy and a huge fan base that comes along with it it while the Caballero is all but forgotten by everybody but die hard enthusiasts and those in the know. That's why when anybody sees one going down the road, they comment about "that El Camino," not mention its completely obscure GMC cousin. $h!, I've even heard people call Ford Rancheros "that El Camino-looking thing" before. The name of the vehicle came to be the universal term for all others like it. It's instantly recognizable. Plus it just sounds better. To me, El Camino is a timeless name while Caballero just sounds dated. The decision to call the Ute an El Camino as opposed to a Caballero can be compared to why the new Dodge Charger is called a Charger and not a Coronet or a Monaco or a Diplomat. If it is decided to resurrect an old nameplate, then one would think it would be wise to resurrect one that people not only remember, but remember fondly. Otherwise, it'd leave the vast majority of people scratching their heads. Name recognition is a must.

:twocents:

You have to think about what a Global Brand might have to do, to become truly global. But hey what do I know? :P

That doesn't make any sense. First, if they're truly going to become global, why are they not getting a UTE? Second, if the UTE is coming to North America, why would they design it as a Pontiac/GMC if they want Chevy to be global (and therefore have a UTE anyways)? Finally, Lutz's excuse of "Chevy has to much to focus on right now" makes no sense either. Why can't GM take however many people it takes to turn the UTE into another brand and have them make it a Chevy? It seems to me that unless it's just going to have a G8 fascia that it makes no difference what brand they're changing it to, and that they might as well make it a Chevy if they want to sell it everywhere as a Chevy.

I can think of quite a few "reasons" for this travesty.

GMC dealers crying the blues about not having unique product.

Chevy dealers crying the blues about lot space.

Pontiac dealers screaming that they can't sell a truck.

Some interdivisional squabble between Chevy and Holden.

I get the feeling that it is something at least as stupid as these, and for that, the El Camino will remain dead forever.

I'm a bit annoyed.

I agree with the opinion that for the biggest splash the Ute should be released as an El Camino because it's a name everybody knows and it's got a great history behind it. The El Camino has a proud legacy and a huge fan base that comes along with it it while the Caballero is all but forgotten by everybody but die hard enthusiasts and those in the know. That's why when anybody sees one going down the road, they comment about "that El Camino," not mention its completely obscure GMC cousin. $h!, I've even heard people call Ford Rancheros "that El Camino-looking thing" before. The name of the vehicle came to be the universal term for all others like it. It's instantly recognizable. Plus it just sounds better. To me, El Camino is a timeless name while Caballero just sounds dated. The decision to call the Ute an El Camino as opposed to a Caballero can be compared to why the new Dodge Charger is called a Charger and not a Coronet or a Monaco or a Diplomat. If it is decided to resurrect an old nameplate, then one would think it would be wise to resurrect one that people not only remember, but remember fondly. Otherwise, it'd leave the vast majority of people scratching their heads. Name recognition is a must.

:twocents:

Seems like some pretty basic logic, doesn't it.

There is still the chance that it could be called El Camino under a non-Chevy brand.

The plot thickens.

Pontiac/GMC El Camino? As someone pointed out before, it has been done with the Chevrolet/GMC Suburban.

Ooo... Saturn El Camino! :rolleyes:

Well, I wouldnt go any further than Pontiac El Camino, and that would be an exageration already. But I don't think GMC El Camino wouldn't be that bad, although I realise Chevy enthusiasts would probably kick and scream about it.

On second thought, why not a Hummer El Camino? :P

I go away for the weekend and the wheels fell off the cart again!

First (disclaimer) I am biased, of course.

Secondly, has GM learned nothing about all this name changing and brand swapping? Japan Inc. has no panache with their names. ZERO. Names like the Impala, GTO, El Camino do have panache. GM needs to stop out-Japanesing the Japanese and keeping legacy names would be one way to do that. I am not sure too many people out there would remember who sold the El Camino 25 years ago, but they would remember the name, I suspect.

Thirdly, the SSR did not sell - why would it be thought the El Camino would? Sure the SSR was over-priced and horrid on gas, but it is a niche market at best - and it only sold 50-60k units per year in a time BEFORE SUVs and in a time when coupes still sold well. If anything, GM should put the El-Camino on the Impala platform and keep it cheap. If it has any hope of selling in North America (and pray gasoline never hits $5 a gallon before of when this thing hits the market) it will have to be a cheap alternative that 25 year olds can afford to buy because insurance will be expensive. I would have bought this thing 25 years ago (see the Dodge Rampage that I did own) if I could have afforded it. I look to the Chevy Montana in Brazil as inspiration, frankly. It sells there because it is cheap to buy and cheap to drive. Lots of people came to LOOK at the SSR, they just laughed at the price ($70k in Canada) and left.

And, fourth, whatever GM does: don't give the damned thing to 3 brands and sit back to watch the fireworks. Dealers cutting each other's throats to give the vehicle away is not going to benefit anyone. If Chevrolet is to be the global name, I don't see how certain brands (and I'll stay off that debate just now) are going to survive if (when?) GM's share hits 20% in North America. I think we are just belaboring the agony by entertaining Saturn and Pontiac.

Yeah, that was me.

I kept trying to chase this down until after 3:00 this morning, I feel like I'm close to an answer.

And close to falling back to sleep. :lol:

:lol: I remebered reading it but did't remeber it was you.

Post your answer as soon as you have it :AH-HA_wink:

Secondly, has GM learned nothing about all this name changing and brand swapping? Japan Inc. has no panache with their names. ZERO. Names like the Impala, GTO, El Camino do have panache. GM needs to stop out-Japanesing the Japanese and keeping legacy names would be one way to do that. I am not sure too many people out there would remember who sold the El Camino 25 years ago, but they would remember the name, I suspect.

Thirdly, the SSR did not sell - why would it be thought the El Camino would? Sure the SSR was over-priced and horrid on gas, but it is a niche market at best - and it only sold 50-60k units per year in a time BEFORE SUVs and in a time when coupes still sold well. If anything, GM should put the El-Camino on the Impala platform and keep it cheap. If it has any hope of selling in North America (and pray gasoline never hits $5 a gallon before of when this thing hits the market) it will have to be a cheap alternative that 25 year olds can afford to buy because insurance will be expensive. I would have bought this thing 25 years ago (see the Dodge Rampage that I did own) if I could have afforded it. I look to the Chevy Montana in Brazil as inspiration, frankly. It sells there because it is cheap to buy and cheap to drive. Lots of people came to LOOK at the SSR, they just laughed at the price ($70k in Canada) and left.

And, fourth, whatever GM does: don't give the damned thing to 3 brands and sit back to watch the fireworks. Dealers cutting each other's throats to give the vehicle away is not going to benefit anyone. If Chevrolet is to be the global name, I don't see how certain brands (and I'll stay off that debate just now) are going to survive if (when?) GM's share hits 20% in North America. I think we are just belaboring the agony by entertaining Saturn and Pontiac.

OK, let's run 'em down.

I agree on the names issue, but would argue that anyone who remembers El Camino would also remember that it was a Chevy.

The SSR has little to do with El Camino beyond a vague similarity of configuration. It is not a valid basis of comparison.

GM is only planning for this to go to one brand, the question is which one?

Being a GMC, a Caballero can...

- Command a higher pricetag.

- Legitimately have a sport and luxury model in one (Denali).

- (If production is constrained) be distributed fairly among a smaller dealer network.

Being a Chevrolet the ElCamino can...

- Instantly earn thousands of sales from die hard Camino fans

- Be marketed through a LARGER dealer network to MORE customer base

- Production would not have to be constrained... MORE SALES

- You can have ahjigh end luxury model: LTZ and a splort model: SS

- There's no GMC front end clip ready to go, there is onme for Chevy

- In the end I say make both! Hell make all three "GTO-X" or perhaps "G-Utility"

Camino, did this keep you up at night? Wow bud, you do have love for the vehicle. I'm impressed.

I'm just to the point where I don't care what brand it is, or what it is called, I just want one. So bring it over here, call it whatever you want , but please not Caballero (HOW GAY!). El Camino would be fine as a GMC, as Camino said, it was done for GMC and Chevrolet.

As per Bobs, response, is Chevrolet has more than it can focus on right now, then they need to trim models. It's better to do a few models very very well than many models in a half assed manner.

How does Chevy need to TRIM models?

Where do you guys get this stuff?

Let's compare:

Toyota

1. Yaris

2. Corolla

3. Matrix

4. Camry

5. Camry Solara

6. Avalon

7. Highlander

8. Sienna

9. Sequoia

10. Rav-4

11. 4-Runner

12. FJ Cruiser

13. Land Cruiser

14. Tacoma

15. Tundra

16. Prius

-----> Also most Toyota Dealers sell THREE Scions under the Toyota/Scion Banner

17. xA

18. xA

19. tC

If they still had the Celica that would make a nice round 20.

More models = more markety share... it's simple math.

I hate all this new B.S. of circular logic where somehow

we'll be selling more by building less. It's stupidity and

it must be stopped. Let's get real... Chevrolet needs to

make more well placed, well marketed models not less!

Good point Sixty8, Toyota is also adding a model in another new crossover in the next year or two as well. The Solara is going away, and there is talk of a new "Supra" replacement coming as well, so that will round it out to an even 20.

I don't think Chevy needs 20 models between its car and truck line. I would say maybe 15 models at most between the two lines.

Aveo/Aveo 5

Cobalt

Malibu

Impala

Camaro

Corvette

Equinox

Traverse

Colorado

El Camino

Silverado

Avalanche

Trailblazer (yes, needs to stay)

Tahoe

Suburban

I may only NEED 15 but it certainly would not HURT sales or profitability to have MORE.

Esp. if they come at a small price... the Ute is ready to go.

My latest method of thinking is: if the Ute isn't coming over as a Chevy, it has to come over as a Pontiac and sold as a member of the G8 "family". No way will the public accept two vehicles in the same showroom with the same exterior and interior styling but wearing different badges. It's the same reason why the Park Avenue should stay in China, and at least that car as a different interior.

My opinion hasn't changed, though: The Ute should be a Chevy.

I'm right there with ya rootin for the El Camino to come badged as God intended. Sometimes wish I would have chosen a career path and become a career car guy. I would bring it in as a low volume niche vehicle under the Chevy truck brand, but thats just me.

My latest method of thinking is: if the Ute isn't coming over as a Chevy, it has to come over as a Pontiac and sold as a member of the G8 "family". No way will the public accept two vehicles in the same showroom with the same exterior and interior styling but wearing different badges. It's the same reason why the Park Avenue should stay in China, and at least that car as a different interior.

My opinion hasn't changed, though: The Ute should be a Chevy.

Whta the heck are you talkinmg about Z.... :P

There's very few Pontiac/Chevrolet dealers left,

and who says it will be the exact same?

I honestly have no idea of what you mean. Look

at the current Monte Carlo & Impala, WTF is

that all about? That's LITTERALLY the exact

same damn car,,,, different badges.

Whta the heck are you talkinmg about Z.... :P

There's very few Pontiac/Chevrolet dealers left,

and who says it will be the exact same?

I honestly have no idea of what you mean. Look

at the current Monte Carlo & Impala, WTF is

that all about? That's LITTERALLY the exact

same damn car,,,, different badges.

You misnderstood me, Sixty, but we're on the same page. Rest assured, my first choice (by far) is for the Ute to be an El Camino. However, if it's not going to be a Chevy, it should be a Pontiac as opposed to a GMC because of the interior/exterior styling similarities. Given that GM is trying to establish a styling language for both Pontiac and GMC (and Buick for that matter), it'd be foolish of them to try to market the Ute as a GMC with the similarly styled G8 already showcasing Pontiac's design direction.

Ohhh.... GMC versus Chevy, I see your point. Actaully yes that's a good point.

It seems that a G8 wagon is under consideration as well...

So, I'm thinking that a G8 Ute is what we are looking at rather than a GMC.

It's like the Chevelle Project come to life in Pontiac form!

I have also seen a rumor that the Monaro will be the next Holden reveal.

the ssr was doomed before it started on the count of greedy dealers seeing dollar signs instead of selling the cars like they should have, i cringe at the thought everyday about how bad its going to be when the camaros finally hit the lots, heck there was even a dealer on ebay trying to sell the first one he got when they just made the announcement it was coming back. the ls1 ssr was underpowered by any means, the 6.0 made it legit.

hopefully we are talking about the new impala platform coming whenever they finally realize it needs to be here. the el caminos need to stay on the platform they're on though. they started out on the impala platform in 59 and after 2 years they called it quits, the chevelle frame made the combination work. it was the perfect size. if the frames got swapped wouldnt that add to the cost right? if we are talking current impala it would mean that dated platform kickin around another 3 or 4 years at least.

i agree about the name changing crap. look at honda and acura. swappin the car names around like its nobodys business. GM needs to be careful with the legacy names, they incur memories of a once proud automaker that could do no wrong. not like this b4-f5-whatever names that sound like a button on a keyboard. they need to go one place and not have the carbon copy badge whoring or it will fail miserably.

It's like the Chevelle Project come to life in Pontiac form!

Assuming the G8 gets all of those variants.

I have also seen a rumor that the Monaro will be the next Holden reveal.

I'm very curious as to how that new Monaro will look... Maybe it will look like to the VE, while sitting on the Camaro wheelbase? Edited by ZL-1

Yup... dealer price gouging sucks!

What is the BIG fricken deal?????

As a past owner of a GMC Sprint SP with an original 402 Big block I feel I can make a rational observation.

The only differance between my Sprint SP and the El Camino want the stinking emblems! Even the factory rallys that came on it were Chevy.

I loved my car and thought no less and no more of it being a GMC because it was the same stink'in car.

If GM wants to make this a GMC I say go for it as GMC and Pontiac can use all the new product they can get.

I even considered that since this truck will be a rebadged Holden that it would fit with the G8 as a GMC much better than ploping it in Chevys line up. The only advantage of it being a Chevy was the name only.

The cold truth is if you like the this vehicle and realy cared about the vehicle you would really not care what GM calls it or what dealer sells it. If they would bring it back as an Oldsmobile I would be a willing buyer.

I have been driving ZQ8 S series trucks as it is as close as I can come to a Ute as I can get in this country. I would like to hope there are enough buyers to justify bringing this vehicle is but if not better to try it at GMC vs Chevy as GMC can absorb a failure better and needs a secsess even more.

I say if you don't like the name if it is a GMC just call Year one and buy your own emblems. If your not going to buy this car just because it is a GMC and not a Chevy you didn't want one that bad to begin with.

What is more important the Vehicle or the name? To me the Vehicle is what ai want and they can call it what ever they like.

Besides as a GMC a better chance a busniess case could be made to bring it here as a limited import in a specialized dealer adn division.

Hard choices have to be made and not all are going to be the way you want them. Just be glad they can bring this vehicle in.

What is the BIG fricken deal?????

As a past owner of a GMC Sprint SP with an original 402 Big block I feel I can make a rational observation.

The only differance between my Sprint SP and the El Camino want the stinking emblems! Even the factory rallys that came on it were Chevy.

I loved my car and thought no less and no more of it being a GMC because it was the same stink'in car.

If GM wants to make this a GMC I say go for it as GMC and Pontiac can use all the new product they can get.

I even considered that since this truck will be a rebadged Holden that it would fit with the G8 as a GMC much better than ploping it in Chevys line up. The only advantage of it being a Chevy was the name only.

The cold truth is if you like the this vehicle and realy cared about the vehicle you would really not care what GM calls it or what dealer sells it. If they would bring it back as an Oldsmobile I would be a willing buyer.

I have been driving ZQ8 S series trucks as it is as close as I can come to a Ute as I can get in this country. I would like to hope there are enough buyers to justify bringing this vehicle is but if not better to try it at GMC vs Chevy as GMC can absorb a failure better and needs a secsess even more.

I say if you don't like the name if it is a GMC just call Year one and buy your own emblems. If your not going to buy this car just because it is a GMC and not a Chevy you didn't want one that bad to begin with.

What is more important the Vehicle or the name? To me the Vehicle is what ai want and they can call it what ever they like.

Besides as a GMC a better chance a busniess case could be made to bring it here as a limited import in a specialized dealer adn division.

Hard choices have to be made and not all are going to be the way you want them. Just be glad they can bring this vehicle in.

Why the venom?

This, by rights , should be an El Camino and sold as a Chevrolet. If that cannot be, then that's a shame no matter the reason behind it. I would love to have that SP of yours, because it is a very,very, rare car. Which leads me to my main objection to GMC getting this one.

During the years when both GMC and Chevy built these, the GMC couldn't even sell 10% of the Chevy numbers consitently. If the Ute goes to GMC now, I am afraid that it will fail dismally and, as a side-effect remove any possibility that Chevy will ever get an El Camino again. I can't stand that possibilty. So, yes, I'm a bit ticked-off that GM would even consider the idea. I have other objections to GMC getting it, but this one point is all I really need to give the notion the thumbs down.

I am , however, warming to the idea of this being a Pontiac G8 variant.

But it should still be a 50th anniversary Chevrolet El Camino. That's the right thing to do whether or not GM does it.

Will I buy a Pontiac or GMC version?

Maybe.

But I was ready to order the Chevy.

And, I don't feel the need to be grateful to GM for getting things almost right. Especially when completely right is within such easy reach and they've had most of a decade to plan for it.

Aren't GMC sales much higher (% of GM sales) now then it was then.

I would hope so with the success of the SUVs over recent years. But this vehicle? I think it would be lost in the shuffle at GMC and do little better than the Sprint and Caballero of the past.

As part of a potential G8 "family" I think it has a shot. But not one which would approach a Chevy version.