Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Dodge Caliber write up

CMG

• 4 weeks later...

0-60 slower than last gen 240hp Accord sedan? Is it that heavy, or is it just difficult to launch? (I didn't read the whole thing really)

And that rear end is horrendous.

The new Accord is supposed to be slower than the last gen?? Estimated 0-60 in 6.5 sec.

When even speculate about "estimated" time??

Motor Trend just tested the SRT-4 and said that Chrysler's estimate of 0-60 in six seconds flat was probably conservative, although they weren't able to strap timing equipment to car at the time. They said that it will most likely beat the recently tested time of the Mazdaspeed3, which was 6 seconds flat. So, it kills any Honda near it's size, and beats it's closest competitor for the same price. I guess it sucks huh??

In the time it takes the Civic Si to get to 60 mph....Chrysler could kill off another vehicle.

The new Accord is supposed to be slower than the last gen?? Estimated 0-60 in 6.5 sec.

That's likely with the automatic transmission - the Accord has always been slow with the auto. The last gen Accord managed a 5.9s 0-60 with manual transmission at the hands of car & driver. Road and Track tested an '08 Accord at 5.9s. I haven't found any other tested 0-60 times for the '08 Accord other than R&T. I wouldn't be surprised with the larger engine if it could do another tenth or two better.

In the time it takes the Civic Si to get to 60 mph....Chrysler could kill off another vehicle.

R&T tested a Civic Si at 6.8s (although Honda estimates 6.7s), which isn't terribly fast, but remember it is a N/A 2.0L engine. It isn't designed for pure straight-line acceleration.

When even speculate about "estimated" time??

Motor Trend just tested the SRT-4 and said that Chrysler's estimate of 0-60 in six seconds flat was probably conservative, although they weren't able to strap timing equipment to car at the time. They said that it will most likely beat the recently tested time of the Mazdaspeed3, which was 6 seconds flat. So, it kills any Honda near it's size, and beats it's closest competitor for the same price. I guess it sucks huh??

I am merely saying that a larger vehicle with a lesser HP engine managed an equal or very close 0-60 time. I'm not sure if the article is misleading, but they state that it "gets to 60 miles per hour...in just more than six seconds". If they are merely giving estimates, and not test results, then the point is not there so much until real test results come in. And it does kill any Honda its size, because Honda would never build a sort-of-compact-small-suv-thing its size to replace a perfectly good compact sedan.

Is it just me or does the rear end give off horrible Aztek vibes. :o

Wow! Good news for Dodge and Chrysler LLC. This car looks like an exciting little pocket rocket.

I do like the exterior design of the Caliber. So many people have ripped on it for looking bad, but I just don't see it. Compared to its predecessor and some other alternatives currently on the market, I think it is a definite improvement. I definitely don't see the Aztek rear end comparisons. The only element about it that bugs me is the unfinished black side mirrors on some models and the unfinished black door handles on the cheaper models. These elements give a cheap feel to an otherwise attractive exterior design.

The interior would be o.k. except for the cheapy hard plastic. If Chrysler LLC can get this practice toned down quite a bit or eliminated completely, then I think the cars it produces wouldn't get such a bad rap.

Anyway, it's great to see Dodge attend the performance compact party. It looks prepared to show the rest of the crowd some interesting moves on the dance floor.

• 3 weeks later...

That is awesome! An expensive burnout though.

The car in the burnout is a pre-production prototype that was sent to the crusher right after the burnout, so I doubt they were worried about the tires.

Chris

I didn't notice this before, but the rear also resembles another one of the more ugly cars in recent memory:

Posted Image

I promised Dodgefan I wouldn't rip on dodges...and the SRT-4 is starting to interest me a tiny little bit...but I must say that I like the MAXX from the rear a bit better.

Chris