Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

best vocalists

razoredge

Doesnt matter, Man or Woman, country or soul, great lyrics or great dynamics, metal screamer or smooth jazz operater So tell me who can really sing ? no big lists please, I could make one with hundreds of names. What vocalist really set you back the most when you first heard them and may have gone further than previous favorites ? Try to make a pick or two. Im looking for the best :) Edited by razoredge

For women: Shania Twain or Faith Hill, hands down. Ask me ten years ago and I would have said Mariah Carey, but she made a conscious decision to waste her talent. Emancipation of Mimi is horrible. Kelly Clarkson deserves some mention. Men: This one's a little muddier for me, but I'll go with Chad Kroeger and James Hetfield as two of the best male rock singers.

Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin come to mind immmediately when thinking upon this subject. Modern day artists (Female) that I think have good voices are Faith Hill, Christina Aguilera (She does have good vocals admit it), Kelly Clarkson, Shannon Curfman, Amanda Marshall. Male Artists: Corey Taylor from Stone Sour, Marc Broussard, and Paul McCoy from the 12 Stones. Thats what comes to me at the moment and thats some of the artists in my winamp playlist right now.

Robert Plant is the king of rock singers, easily. Not only did he have an amazing voice, but he used it more like an instrument than any other, using vocal melody to really enhance the feel of the song. For someone newer, Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria has some amazing range.

Does me singing in the shower count? No? Oh.. well let me see... Female: Alicia Keys. She can really reach those high and low octives. She has great vocal range and her lyrics are more soul and not skank like so many female artists out there today. Don't really have a favorite male singer since they're all pretty much the same sound and all sing about skateboarding or being depressed that they didn't get the new Sony PSP game.

Don't really have a favorite male singer since they're all pretty much the same sound and all sing about skateboarding or being depressed that they didn't get the new Sony PSP game.

[post="28576"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow, you must listen to some really shitty music.

I love Sarah Harmer, especially in Weeping Tile!

[post="28560"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

*Lil' Jon voice*
- Sometimes I think that I am all alone in this world, and I have no-one to go to.
- What??!??

Seriously though, I really didn't expect anyone to even know who she was, never mind Weeping Tile. They are interesting, but I still like her first solo disc the best.

Whos, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell and Scott Weiland ?

[post="28585"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Layne Staley (RIP): Alice in Chains
Chris Cornell: Formerly Temple of the Dog (became Pearl Jam), Soundgarden, now Audioslave
Scott Weiland: Formerly Stone Temple Pilots, now Velvet Revolver

Speaking of Audioslave and VR - there is a quote I saw in a magazine I found quite ridiculous. Here is some history first so you all understand.

Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine both broke up, and the singer from Soundgarden basically joined Rage to form Audioslave. Guns 'n' Roses and Stone Temple Pilots both broke up, and the singer from STP joined GnR to form Velvet Revolver.

Brad Wilk (bassist of Audioslave): I just don't get Velvet Revolver. The whole "supergroup" thing seems so contrived.

Hello? YOU are IN a supergroup, one that couldn't possibly be more similar to Velvet Revolver history wise!

Wow, you must listen to some really shitty music.

[post="28689"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nah... I'm always turning it off whenever that crap is on. Those bands are all over the place in America. I listen to more of the older bands like the Rolling Stones or the Beatles.

Well I was hoping for more responces and ideas on this but ?? So that night I was listeneing to Queensryche "The Warning" and was influenced to finally ask here being how there seemed to be many music tastes and interests here. I was glad to see two others imeadiatly said Geoff Tate. He could sing Opera with the best of the Tenors, or he could go to Broadway and do any musical with power, passion and intensity never imagined. However the best thing about Tate is he sings his own stuff, does his own thing, its progressive modern, not something by a classic composer or modern playwrite. All creative and origional. I was glad to see a few of the R&B vocalists mentioned as well as one of my old favorites Robert Plant. :)

• 2 weeks later...
My top five off the top of my head, this wasn't easy. These also change sometimes, except #1

THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS:

5) Chad Gray from Mudvayne
4) Sully Erna from Godsmack.
3) Randy Blythe from Lamb Of God
2) Dez Fafara from DevilDriver (formerly of Coal Chamber)
1) James Hetfield from MetallicA (Will always be the ultimate front man IMO)

VERY honorable mentions: off of the top of my head include David Draiman (Disturbed) Jonathan Davis (KoRn) Cliff Rigano (Dry Kill Logic) Chester Bennington (Linkin Park) Rob Zombie (Rob/White Zombie) Corey Taylor (Slipknot/Stone Sour) Wayne Static (Static X) Martin Cock (American Head Charge) Lajon Witherspoon (7Dust) Rob Flynn (Machine Head) & the old singer of Drowning Pool (Not sure what his name was)

Amy Lee (from Evanescnce) has my vote.

[post="34645"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Christina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil is way better and has been around a lot longer though everyone thinks they copied Evanescence. Don't get me wrong I love Amy Lee as well. I wish they would both come out with new CDs.

Female: Christina Scabbia(Lacuna Coil), Shania Twain, Amy Lee, Terri Nunn(Berlin), Ann Wilson(Heart) in her early days and beieve it or not Milla Jovovich. Men: Geof Tate(Queensryche), Robin Zander(Cheap Trick), Peter Steel(TypeO Negative), Rab Halford(Judas Priest), Danni Filth(Cradle of Filth). As you can tell I listen to a variety of Rock (these days at the age of 43, to the shock of younger music fans I listen to mostly black metal from Europe) and some country.

What is the new Queensryche CD that is coming out? I thought I remember reading that it is supposed to be a sequel to Operation: Mindcrime.

I haven't really listened to Queensryche's music from the mid 90s until today, but I've heard a few songs like "Bridge" and "Someone Else" that were really well done. I heard that Tribe was pretty bad though, but I haven't actually listened to it so I'll reserve judgement until I hear it.

Operation: Mindcrime is an amazing album though. Some people complained because the songs all flow together instead of being in radio-friendly format, but that's what makes the album special. For those that have never heard this amazing conceptual album, it is about a man who is brainwashed by an evangical preacher of the group known as 'The Order' bent on overthrowing the US government. "Dr. X" (the preacher) uses drugs to get the man to assassinate political leaders and even the guy's girlfriend. After realizing what he has done, the man is committed to an insane asylum where he spends the rest of his days sedated and in agony. I'd consider this album as well done as "The Wall" by Pink Floyd.
Posted Image

Empire is another good one...Hand on Heart is my favorite song on there. Actually, any Queensryche album from the self-titled debut through Empire is good. After that, it's kind of hit-and-miss though.

Another band I just thought of is Sanctuary, an obscure speed metal band from the late 80s that released only two albums before breaking up. Warrel Dane, the vocalist, has a range beyond that of Rob Halford. The songs "Termination Force" and "The Third War" really show it off.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Yea, that girl you guys mentioned can sing, I was quite impressed. 2K if thats what its called, its down in the shop, all prog metal is in the "shop"..... =}:-0 ....., anyhow 2K was pretty good, has some riffs, some classic Tate. The guy from Symphony X has interesting variety and range too. Thats European Classical Prog Metal, Old school with a twist. Hes got some Dio in him but very theatrical in style changes. Crankin, Edge of Thorns, currently. Zack Stevens can sing a bit Edited by razoredge

Yea, that girl you guys mentioned can sing, I was quite impressed.

2K if thats what its called, its down in the shop, all prog metal is in the "shop"..... =}:-0  ....., anyhow 2K was pretty good, has some riffs, some classic Tate. The guy from Symphony X has interesting variety and range too. Thats European Classical Prog Metal, Old school with a twist. Hes got some Dio in him but very theatrical in style changes.

Crankin, Edge of Thorns, currently. Zack Stevens can sing a bit

[post="34911"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I just checked Queensryche's website...the new album is called Operation: Mindcrime II and should be in stores January 2006. I hope it's as good as the first Mindcrime.

I'm currently blasting "Follow Me" off Edge of Thorns...great song...I love when it really starts kicking into gear about 3 1/2 minutes into the song.

Hmmm...tough question..I generally notice and pay attention to the sound (I'm a big fan of atmospheric and ambient music--the work of Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois, for instance) and guitar work than the vocals, but I do have some favorites.. Male: for the classics I've long liked Mick Jagger, Roger Daltrey, Robert Plant, Rodger Waters and Dave Gilmour...more recent, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Chris Robinson, Bono. Female: Tori Amos. She's been my favorite for over a decade. Eccentric, sexy voice coupled with cryptic lyrics, great on the piano and organ. Mmm..redheads.. vintage: I've always liked Stevie Nicks and Carly Simon's voices..

What is the new Queensryche CD that is coming out?  I thought I remember reading that it is supposed to be a sequel to Operation: Mindcrime.

I haven't really listened to Queensryche's music from the mid 90s until today, but I've heard a few songs like "Bridge" and "Someone Else" that were really well done.  I heard that Tribe was pretty bad though, but I haven't actually listened to it so I'll reserve judgement until I hear it.

Operation: Mindcrime is an amazing album though.  Some people complained because the songs all flow together instead of being in radio-friendly format, but that's what makes the album special.  For those that have never heard this amazing conceptual album, it is about a man who is brainwashed by an evangical preacher of the group known as 'The Order' bent on overthrowing the US government.  "Dr. X" (the preacher) uses drugs to get the man to assassinate political leaders and even the guy's girlfriend.  After realizing what he has done, the man is committed to an insane asylum where he spends the rest of his days sedated and in agony.  I'd consider this album as well done as "The Wall" by Pink Floyd.
Posted Image
Empire is another good one...Hand on Heart is my favorite song on there.  Actually, any Queensryche album from the self-titled debut through Empire is good.  After that, it's kind of hit-and-miss though.

Another band I just thought of is Sanctuary, an obscure speed metal band from the late 80s that released only two albums before breaking up.  Warrel Dane, the vocalist, has a range beyond that of Rob Halford.  The songs "Termination Force" and "The Third War" really show it off.
Posted ImagePosted Image

[post="34895"][/post]

The last Queeensryche CD I bought was q2000 or something like that. I barely listened to it because it was way to slow and boring. Maybe the absence of Chris deGarmo made things worse.

I just checked Queensryche's website...the new album is called Operation: Mindcrime II and should be in stores January 2006.  I hope it's as good as the first Mindcrime.

I'm currently blasting "Follow Me" off Edge of Thorns...great song...I love when it really starts kicking into gear about 3 1/2 minutes into the song.

[post="34914"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess I will have to give it a try. Mindcrime was what got me hooked on Queensryche.