Lucerne with all Chrome Grille???

VenSeattle

As a Buick owner, I receive a magazine by Buick every season called "The Style Review." (I definitely look forward to it ^_^ )

I just received the Fall 2005 issue and on the cover is a Lucerne. My first thought was "That grille looks like it's all chrome..." but I immediately rejected the idea as light reflecting off of the Lucerne's glossy black grille. So I looked inside. By page 16, there was no doubt about it. Both of the Lucernes pictured have chrome grilles.

I scanned in the cover and page 16 so you guys can check it out. (as a side note, they also have an article titled “Seattle on our Minds” on pages 26-29 where they're touring Seattle in a Park Avenue! How cool! Can’t wait to read it!)

Cover (obviously a Lucerne CXS):

Posted Image

Page 16 (Apparently a Lucerne CX or CXL)
Posted Image

I went back to the Buick website and checked out the Lucerne grill, and with one exception, they do look like they are chrome.  The one that didn't look chrome was at such an extreme angle, it was hard to tell; still could be chrome . . . . anyone else agree?

[post="28241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

See, I went to the site and every grille looks black with chrome surround--it all just looks like light shining on them. The clincher was the 360 degree exterior view--that was DEFINITELY black.

Not sure if I like it more one way or the other. I mean, all chrome is classy, but without the chrome, the Buick insignia sticks out more, and I like that.

Why are ALL of GM's cars (Not just one division) beginning to share front end designs???

The Lucerne CX or CXL has the same "gills" as a lower grade trim Impala and Cobalt... NOT GOOD GM!!!!!!

[post="28348"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know!!! Even the new 9-5 has them. Wish the CXS's front bumper (and fog lights) is shared with the rest of the Lucernes. As far as the grille, it doesn't look like chrome to me, either.

Nice to see the chrome, but the Lucerne looks awful in those pictures. Something tells me the Lacrosse will get a similar grill in a couple of years.

[post="28414"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My hope is sooner than later.

I mean, it'd be nice if the refresh was for 2007--introduce a new grille, new tranny (6 speed), and a new base engine.

Look. I WANT to believe it's chrome, and I hope it is. I long abandoned the hope that chrome would ever reappear on the external packaging aside from the door handles... the chrome-esque plastic does the same thing in half the cost and that seems perfectly fine for GM... But I know Ven wouldn't post this if he wasn't fairly certain. But honestly- how can you tell? That chrome plastic is something I need to tap on before I know it's chrome or not. Maybe I'm just not obersvant but I dont think I could tell the difference between plastic chrome and real chrome. Could someone clue me in?

I don't think its any chrome, plastic or real, all together. Seems more like high gloss black paint.

[post="28460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I totally agree with you about the high-gloss black paint. I was thinking to myself, it looks black, yet it's so reflective. Never thought of glossy black paint :)

As I've said before, beautiful car aft of the a-pillar, but what the heck is with that dopey and big ass nose? Does NOT match the rest of the body lines one bit, is far too plain and undetailed for such a "premium" car, and basically just looks like a collaboration of all the wrong parts bin parts.

Same issue with the frumpy dumpy Lacrosse and its front end that only looks good from about one, distinct angle.

So, I'm gussing Buick's new theme is pretty nice cars with really ugly faces....first the Terrazza, then Lacrosse, and now the Lucerne....such a shame. :o

Note to Buick: Hire some designers who understand the concept of PROPORTIONS and do it QUICKLY http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif , before yet another nice ride comes out in need of lipo and/or massive rhinoplasty...

As I've said before, beautiful car aft of the a-pillar, but what the heck is with that dopey and big ass nose?  Does NOT match the rest of the body lines one bit, is far too plain and undetailed for such a "premium" car, and basically just looks like a collaboration of all the wrong parts bin parts.

Same issue with the frumpy dumpy Lacrosse and its front end that only looks good from about one, distinct angle.

So, I'm gussing Buick's new theme is pretty nice cars with really ugly faces....first the Terrazza, then Lacrosse, and now the Lucerne....such a shame. :o

Note to Buick: Hire some designers who understand the concept of PROPORTIONS and do it QUICKLY http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif , before yet another nice ride comes out in need of lipo and/or massive rhinoplasty...

[post="28612"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's difficult when all you can do is change the sheetmetal on a preexisting car. But yes, the front end could have been made better, regardless of proportions. The Lucerne looks pretty good in some angles, but weird from the side.

As I've said before, beautiful car aft of the a-pillar, but what the heck is with that dopey and big ass nose?  Does NOT match the rest of the body lines one bit, is far too plain and undetailed for such a "premium" car, and basically just looks like a collaboration of all the wrong parts bin parts.

These are your opinions...I happen to think it looks just fine. B)

These are your opinions...I happen to think it looks just fine. B)

[post="28653"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unfortunately, "just fine" won't cut it in Buick's current condition.

I don't think it's chrome. The grill surround is chrome, and the grill itself looks different.

[post="28466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I see that too...

Maybe it's a glossy graphite gray instead of the black on earlier models (Which is still an improvement IMO)

EDIT: [stewie voice] HA![ [/stewie voice] Top that ALLITERATION!!!!

:CG_all:

Although I agree, I'd say the overhang has to do with the dated platforms... I think the Lucerne looks better than the Lacrosse (which doesn't look bad) though.

Buick had SUCH gorgeous concepts that they up and abandoned for a hodge-podge of Chevy meets VW meets Ford styling elements.

For those who think the G-Platform has an overhang handicap.

There's only a 1.4 INCH difference between the new Avalon's overhangs and the Lucerne's. The platform does not have an issue with overhangs.

Avalon length: 197.2"
Avalon wheelbase: 111"

Difference 86.2"

Lucerne Length: 203.2"
Lucerne Wheelbase: 115.6"

Difference 87.6"

Wait until you see it in person. Pictures just don't give a good perception of scale for the Lucerne.

I want to like this car as much as everyone else but all I see is a 2002 Nissan Maxima with a vertical grille. At first all the hype got to me but now I'd just rather have a nice used P/A ultra, even the No* does not make up for it's underwhelming styling.