Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Toyota @ SEMA: 2009 Corolla

regfootball

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the Corolla actually lose MPG's? I seem to remember it getting better than 35 highway.

So this is what they delayed the original release for? I was expecting something a lot more daring after the way Toyota talked about it.

Yeah, it got 40+ highway with the old EPA procedures, and the current '08s get 37 highway with the new procedures.

But, of course, Toyota says otherwise.....

The car is expected to get 27 miles per gallon (8.7 liters per 100 kilometers) in the city and 35 mpg (6.7 liters) on the highway under new Environmental Protection Agency standards, Toyota said. It puts out 132 horsepower, six more than the previous model.

Tougher standards make it appear to be less fuel efficient than the 2008 model, which is estimated at 28/37 mpg with a manual transmission, but the reverse is true, the company said.

"It's putting out more power and has better fuel economy than it's predecessor," said Mike Michels, a spokesman for Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc. "But if you look at the outgoing Corolla, those numbers will look higher. It's because the EPA changed the rating method."

all the money saved not updating the matrix and corolla was spent creating the new turd and its shredding camshafts. or lexus hybrids.

the matrix is a disaster. sales will go down because the new styling alienates mainstreamers, but the vibe is nice enough to maybe pick those folks up.

toyota must really be resting on its laurels. look at how the mazda3 is still the premiere small car now and for sure a little longer after this debacle. the goodness of the mazda is even more apparent after honda's accident and now toyota's misfire. the astra arrives at a great time.

Edited by regfootball

To top it off, this same design has been on sale in other territories outside the U.S. for quite a while now. Again I ask, "Why the blasted delay to not offer anything new or exciting?"

Probably, Profit! Toyota knows that it can sell anything here with a Sombraro on the grille and the flock will buy it no matter what! That might be starting to slowly change, but for now, the platform/body had been paid for eons ago so they probably just figured they'd milk out a couple more years of profit from the old platform, the stupid Americans will never notice!

The car is expected to get 27 miles per gallon (8.7 liters per 100 kilometers) in the city and 35 mpg (6.7 liters) on the highway under new Environmental Protection Agency standards, Toyota said. It puts out 132 horsepower, six more than the previous model.

Tougher standards make it appear to be less fuel efficient than the 2008 model, which is estimated at 28/37 mpg with a manual transmission, but the reverse is true, the company said.

"It's putting out more power and has better fuel economy than it's predecessor," said Mike Michels, a spokesman for Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc. "But if you look at the outgoing Corolla, those numbers will look higher. It's because the EPA changed the rating method."

Didn't the EPA change the standards for the 2008 MY? Which is why the Corolla went from 32/41 in 2007 to 28/37 in 2008? Now they're saying the EPA changed them again in 2009 which is why the Corolla goes from 28/37 to 25/33?

Is this a blatant lie? or did the EPA change something again without anyone knowing?

Is this a blatant lie? or did the EPA change something again without anyone knowing?

This is in the same category as Toyota dealers telling people that Toyota independently derated the Avalon from 280hp to 268hp because it realized people are more concerned about fuel economy and they share that altruism.

Or may be the car grew heavier, which justified the drop in the fuel economy. Whatever it is, this car makes no sense now.

Styling: Yuck

Fun to Drive: Like having sex with 85 year old. (Since it is on the old platform, which drooled)

Reliability: Huh??

Fuel Economy: Par in its class.

Build Quality: May be greater than average.

Again, what new does Toy bring to the table with this ugly appliance on wheels?

Ok, enough with the bashing people, everyone here sounds like 12 year olds. Honestly, speaking what did all of you expect? A stunning design from Toyota? It will never happen, because they have a loyal following of people who will be coming back to their products because of it's refinement, reliability, and resale value. Toyota never have and never will design a stunning car, however they are under a microscope from the media now because of their recent problems.

Or may be the car grew heavier, which justified the drop in the fuel economy. Whatever it is, this car makes no sense now.

Styling: Yuck

Fun to Drive: Like having sex with 85 year old. (Since it is on the old platform, which drooled)

Reliability: Huh??

Fuel Economy: Par in its class.

Build Quality: May be greater than average.

Again, what new does Toy bring to the table with this ugly appliance on wheels?

Have you ever driven or set foot in anything else besides domestic?

I think it would be interesting if Scion would create a sporty compact competitor to the Mazda3 sedan, Civic sedan, and Mitsubishi Lancer on the tC platform. That would leave Toyota free to continue to offer the bland, appliance-like Corolla to Toyota loyalists. Scion would be the brand to go to for the sportier, edgier, more modern compact sedan. I am pretty sure people who gravitate toward the three cars mentioned above will not take a second look at a Corolla.

Have you ever driven one and compared it to the competition? (Hence, Civic, Cobalt, Focus) I have.

Three mind-numbing, eye-gouging, headache-inducing times.

In short - Civic is refined, Corolla is trashy; Focus is a fun handler, Corolla is a grocery cart with a sticky caster; Cobalt is more powerful and roomier, Corolla is weak and uncomfortable.

I seriously fail to understand how such an underwhelming, cheesy, junky car can be such a hot seller in light of better (or at least cheaper) competitors. If you disallow all the seniors, stupid high schoolers, stupid parents of high schoolers, and foreigners who drove these piles back in the motherland from buying cars, Corolla sales would plummet.

And if you've driven an '02-present Corolla against those three cars and came away with the impression that the Corolla was in any way significantly superior, I seriously question your values in automotive judgement.

Three mind-numbing, eye-gouging, headache-inducing times.

In short - Civic is refined, Corolla is trashy; Focus is a fun handler, Corolla is a grocery cart with a sticky caster; Cobalt is more powerful and roomier, Corolla is weak and uncomfortable.

I seriously fail to understand how such an underwhelming, cheesy, junky car can be such a hot seller in light of better (or at least cheaper) competitors. If you disallow all the seniors, stupid high schoolers, stupid parents of high schoolers, and foreigners who drove these piles back in the motherland from buying cars, Corolla sales would plummet.

And if you've driven an '02-present Corolla against those three cars and came away with the impression that the Corolla was in any way significantly superior, I seriously question your values in automotive judgement.

The only reason people buy it now is price (and maybe reliability, fuel economy, and rear seat space)... I've seen dealer ads for '08s in the $12Ks.

Six years ago, it was arguably best-in-class, but that was when econoboxes were mostly crap... Neon, Protege, Cavalier, Sunfire, SL1, Mirage, Nubira, Esteem.

Didn't the EPA change the standards for the 2008 MY? Which is why the Corolla went from 32/41 in 2007 to 28/37 in 2008? Now they're saying the EPA changed them again in 2009 which is why the Corolla goes from 28/37 to 25/33?

Miscommunication? Toyota neglects to say whether the quoted figures are for the 5-speed manual (which would be worse) or the 4-speed auto (which would be better—26/35 for the old 126 hp engine).

No doubt it has gotten heavier, which is what I also believe is the reason for the drop in mileage. But Toyota's spokesman is saying it's due to revised EPA testing methods, which as far as I can tell, is false; the EPA already revised the rating system for the '08 MY, which is why the Corolla's mileage dropped in '08.

Ok, enough with the bashing people, everyone here sounds like 12 year olds.

The Corolla started it! Daaaaadddd!!

The only reason people buy it now is price (and maybe reliability, fuel economy, and rear seat space)... I've seen dealer ads for '08s in the $12Ks.

It was the mileage king when equipped with a manual transmission. But now that its mileage has dropped below the Civic (at least the Civic automatic), I wonder if people will take notice?

Miscommunication? Toyota neglects to say whether the quoted figures are for the 5-speed manual (which would be worse) or the 4-speed auto (which would be better—26/35 for the old 126 hp engine).

I thought about that too, but I think it's highly unlikely that they have quoted automatic figures which would be lower. The quote, "Tougher standards make it appear to be less fuel efficient than the 2008 model, which is estimated at 28/37 mpg with a manual transmission" (release), makes it seem like the 27/35 that the '08 number is being compared to, is also from a manual transmission. Although one thing that doesn't quite add up. I find it hard to believe that the extra weight due to more standard features and safety equipment could account for a 1 city 2 hwy mpg drop, unless the weight has increased a lot. Could there be a miscommunication between Toyota's engineers and the marketing department? If that number is for the automatic, and there is an increase of 1 hwy mpg, that would make much more sense in a new model with the same size engine.

Ehhhh, no, you're dreaming, or you have you GM goggles on, I had the chance to drive a Cobalt for the past few days as a replacement for my daily driver. All I can say is, no.

You have your Toyota goggles on. I have loads of import humper friends who bash my car on a daily basis, and even say the Corolla isn't great.

Have you ever driven or set foot in anything else besides domestic?

You really are close minded import humper aren't you?

Regarding my driving or setting foot in anything besides domestic, I will let you do the research on our forums and read about what cars I have owned and driven as I have mentioned about them.

From certain angles, it actually doesn't look bad. The picture on CanadianDriver looks pretty good actually. The grille Toyota uses on its Camry and now the Corolla is still a turn-off though. I think if anything, it's the horrible hood cut-line. Give it a normal hood cut-line, which meets the top of the grille, and put the emblem in the middle of the grille, and it might be pretty nice looking.

You have your Toyota goggles on. I have loads of import humper friends who bash my car on a daily basis, and even say the Corolla isn't great.

I don't like the Corolla, at the same time I think the Cobalt can be better, in terms of design and quality. And relax, I'm not an import humper, I like GM, I just know that they can do way better with some of their products. I'm also open to all different manufacurers. I don't like when people insult a product, they have not seen with their own eyes, and insult it based on their badge, just like you have when people insult your G6, just because it's a domestic. Relax, the G6 is a nice car, just wish they had the manual available on all models.

You really are close minded import humper aren't you?

Regarding my driving or setting foot in anything besides domestic, I will let you do the research on our forums and read about what cars I have owned and driven as I have mentioned about them.

Go read my reply to Toni.

I don't like the Corolla, at the same time I think the Cobalt can be better, in terms of design and quality. And relax, I'm not an import humper, I like GM, I just know that they can do way better with some of their products. I'm also open to all different manufacurers. I don't like when people insult a product, they have not seen with their own eyes, and insult it based on their badge, just like you have when people insult your G6, just because it's a domestic. Relax, the G6 is a nice car, just wish they had the manual available on all models.

Go read my reply to Toni.

I have sat, ridden and driven not one but three previous generation Crapollas and based on my assessment, the statements I made in that earlier post were not incorrect. Now if you can justify why I am wrong with your own explanation, I may understand but that one line smart a## statement will not help your own viewpoint, will it?

AHH! Crank windows in 2009!?!? EEK!

Dear Honda,

You are one of the Japanese car companies I have some respect for. Thank you so very much for making every model standard with power windows.

-Ravenfreak

And what exactly is the problem with that? I would never order my Solstice with power windows.

Honda did put in power windows, a stupid EL lit cluster that's on even when the sun is out, yet forgot the automatic headlamps so now I always have to drive at night next to idiots in Civics who thinks DRLs are headlights.

Edited by ToniCipriani

It just looks DUMB, like the current car. Odd proportions, dorky spoilers and :blink: body kits on an antiseptic little sedan. So stale and dumpy. Maybe that's why I see Corollas plodding along at 10 mph below the speed limit, the new darling of the AARP.

Well when you drive a sedan, its quite inconvienient to roll up all the windows and then stretch over your seats to lock/unlock doors.

I do know what you're saying. I had crank windows in my Cavalier and I know what it's like. It's just that sometimes there is still a case to make crank windows, since it's only a convenience thing, and it's normal to make it an option. But putting all the world's convenience then forget about safety is inexcusable.

Besides the interior, not good at all. Is this an MCE? I hope so because it looks like it.

Officially no, effectively yes. Toyota usually does a full replacement every second generation, but this is less of an update than you will normally see, on a par with the "new" Expedition, not as substantial as the new Land Cruiser or GMT 900s. The major update to the body was the introduction of the "widebody" version with the late Matrix and Vibe, which has since spread to the hatchback and MPV variants (Corolla Verso in the previous generation, Auris, Blade and Corolla Rumion this generation). The basic structure is shared with the late Celica, the longer wheelbase Allion and Premio compact sedans (formerly Corona/Carina), the late Caldina wagon (temporarily unavailable), and the lower midsize European Avensis etc.