Could be snowy...

My buddy's brother runs a hydraulic shop where they sell a lot of plows. My buddy told me the shop just got a notice from toyota NOT to install any plows on tundras or the warranty will be voided. Bro is pissed, he'll have to return like 25 toyo-spec plow packages to the manufacturer. Don't know what will happen with those trucks that already have them mounted...

Apparently there are frame engineering issues under load that toyo doesn't want to be bothered with fixing or warrantying, but I have not seen the bulletin.

Anyone else heard of this??

Oh... what a feeling.... of letdown.... again. :rolleyes:

That only applies to hydraulic plows. If you and to put a cheesy receiver plow like one of these on:

Posted Image

you can still get away with it. The two main issues are the the front frame was designed to crumple in an accident, not support the weight of winches/plows and the front axle/suspension is too weak for sustained plowing. The last generation Tundra had the same problem too.

I've never seen anyone around here using one of those cheesy plows. Around here they uses real trucks, Rams, F-series, Silverados/Seierras. Never seen one on a Titan though, can they do it without falling apart?

For the umpteenth time, I say it again: The Tundra is a stinker.

Toyota simply can't build a good full-size truck, they don't get it.

Well, they certainly did not build a decent truck this time, but don't forget that Toyota is learning from all of these mistakes and I would guess that the next Tundra will be much improved. So let's hope that GM, Ford and DC don't get too comfortable here...Still enjoying the show though

Well, they certainly did not build a decent truck this time, but don't forget that Toyota is learning from all of these mistakes and I would guess that the next Tundra will be much improved. So let's hope that GM, Ford and DC don't get too comfortable here...Still enjoying the show though

By the time Tundra catches up with the current generation, when it redesigns the Tundra, the next generation trucks iwll be out and have moved on. Toyota has the same problem with trucks that Detroit has had with cars for years.

By the time Tundra catches up with the current generation, when it redesigns the Tundra, the next generation trucks iwll be out and have moved on. Toyota has the same problem with trucks that Detroit has had with cars for years.

Agreed. That's sort of my point, so long as the domestics keep the segment moving and truly continue to push themselves, then Toyota will have trouble catching up and will need to spend a ton of money to do so. Further, by staying ahead of the game, the domestics make it harder for Toyota to sell Tundras which, in turn, makes it more difficult to justify the investment. But, if the domestics get lax, then they leave room because Toyota will try again.

On another note, I thought about this some more last night and the more I thought about it, the more I realized how big of an screw up this is. I mean really, plowing wasn't part of developmental research for a pickup?? That's just dumb. If I had to guess, Toyota focused too much of their research around Texas (which sort of makes sense, but still) and not enough in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Yes, but not on a 1500.

You CAN on a 1500.... but it has to be a regular cab, the

heavier 1500 ex-cab is not covered by warranty if you

trow on a plow, and no plow-prep. is offered.

You CAN on a 1500.... but it has to be a regular cab, the

heavier 1500 ex-cab is not covered by warranty if you

trow on a plow, and no plow-prep. is offered.

I know you can put a plow on a 1500 wihtout voiding warranty, but the last time I checked (a few years back) there was no plow prep package for the 1500. If that has changed, I say good and about time.

Certain other configurations and options don't allow for a plow even on heavier trucks. For example, on the last Avalanche 2500 you could not combine plow prep with a moonroof.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Toyota buyers think they are smarter than GM buyers or other domestics. Wait until they need to pay for Toyota parts. Then they wont be so smart. And eventually Toyotas DO break too.

Toyota buyers think they are smarter than GM buyers or other domestics. Wait until they need to pay for Toyota parts. Then they wont be so smart. And eventually Toyotas DO break too.

Big difference is that Toyota owners don't ADMIT that their vehicles break, or that they get hosed at any given parts counter. Some sort of Bushido code?

UPDATE: my buddy with the hydraulics/plow shop reports toyo doubled-back (with zero engineering changes) and OK'd turdras for plow installation in order to shut up the dozen or so disgruntled owners who insist their truck is 'just like a real truck'.

No doubt toyo can afford to replace frames with their cash reserves.... but we can only hope that this is more widespread than I seem to think and the news goes mainstream that these trucks are cracking/breaking under mild use.

UPDATE: my buddy with the hydraulics/plow shop reports toyo doubled-back (with zero engineering changes) and OK'd turdras for plow installation in order to shut up the dozen or so disgruntled owners who insist their truck is 'just like a real truck'.

No doubt toyo can afford to replace frames with their cash reserves.... but we can only hope that this is more widespread than I seem to think and the news goes mainstream that these trucks are cracking/breaking under mild use.

Should be interesting....

One of the few times I'd wish for more snow...