Car for my mother

My mother is looking to trade her 2003 Eclipse GT in on something new.

The car barely fits in the garage as-is, so we have a very limited length requirement of 190" or under.

She wants it to be under $40k, but not necessarily that high.

She wants something "not too June Cleaver-ish" in her words. 2-door is desired but can be overlooked if she likes the design. Same for a convertible top. She's already told me that the G6 would be OK but the new Malibu is a little too family-looking for her. Since she is coming from a 200 hp V6, something of at least similar performance would also be a requirement.

I'm trying to come up with possibilities.

All I can really come up with is:

Eclipse (new)

Mustang

G6

Altima coupe

VW Eos

Sebring and Solara are too long.

Accord is slightly too long, and too "old" of a nameplate.

3-series and C-class are too expensive.

Thoughts??

Edited by the_yellow_dart

We just got a G6 4 dr last week and love it. Ours has the sport pkg(V6, spoiler alloys) chrome grille, and the preferred package. We got $2500 back because of the red tag sale (ours is a 2007) and an additional $500 because our 'trade in" (our car was totaled in an accident) was a Honda (conquest sale).

I would think about CPO's if she's going to trade out in a few years anyway (the Eclipse isn't that old.)

BMW is running special finance rates on 04 3-ers...my mother -in-law just picked up a an 04 325 coupe for the low 20's @ 3.9%...The 05's should have similar programs anyday.

I've also heard good things about Jag & Volvo CPO programs as well.

As for the other cars mentioned new--I would never put my mom into a VW. Too hit or miss, IMO. As for Domestics, the depreciation will kill her...they'll be worth 25% of purchase price on trade.

If she must have new, I like the C30 (& its cheaper cousin, the Mazda 3 even more), Accord coupe and the Mustang (because it's worth the $ you'll burn).

Edited by enzl

An off-the-wall suggestion that may work, how about a Wrangler? Honestly, the new ones are a blast to drive, and aren't overly trucky (you'll never mistake it for a Corvette, but its not bad). Plus, they're really short in 2-door form, and still smaller than my Fusion in 4-door form.

Dude, that's gross, showing that to your mother, of all people.

Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible. Volkswagen Eos. My two nominations.

he's probably got it there. i suppose to be fair we need to mention sebring. new turbo cobalt SS 2 door?

heck, just get another eclipse. the eclipse is a cool car, marred by a useless back seat. But for a one person coupe, its a fun ride.

An Accord coupe some would say, but maybe its too big.

Is the TT CVT or A4 cvt too pricey? Beetle is too.....ahem, fruity I suppose.

I would think about CPO's if she's going to trade out in a few years anyway (the Eclipse isn't that old.)

BMW is running special finance rates on 04 3-ers...my mother -in-law just picked up a an 04 325 coupe for the low 20's @ 3.9%...The 05's should have similar programs anyday.

I've also heard good things about Jag & Volvo CPO programs as well.

As for the other cars mentioned new--I would never put my mom into a VW. Too hit or miss, IMO. As for Domestics, the depreciation will kill her...they'll be worth 25% of purchase price on trade.

If she must have new, I like the C30 (& its cheaper cousin, the Mazda 3 even more), Accord coupe and the Mustang (because it's worth the $ you'll burn).

good point on the CPO's, that would be a valid option too. Just make sure to get one with tons of warranty left.