Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris_Doane

GM @ NAIAS '08: Cadillac CTSv - Overview

74 posts in this topic

For release: Jan. 14, 2008, 12:01 a.m. EST (embargo has been broken by other outlets)

2009 CTS-V: CADILLAC’S ULTIMATE EXPRESSION OF PERFORMANCE AND LUXURY

x09ca_ct006.jpg

*Full Photo Gallery HERE*

*Powertrain press release HERE*

*Technology press release HERE*

DETROIT – As the new CTS sport sedan earns accolades and new owners, Cadillac takes the next leap forward by premiering the 2009 CTS-V, the brand’s ultimate expression of performance and luxury.

Launching in the fourth quarter of 2008, the all-new CTS-V intends to combine the serious performance of an elite sports car with the poise and elegance of a prestigious luxury sedan. Part of Cadillac’s acclaimed V-Series of high-performance models, CTS-V delivers an estimated 550 horsepower (410 kW). More than just power, CTS-V also includes a comprehensive suite of technical and design enhancements, including Magnetic Ride Control, an industry-first Performance Traction Management program and the addition of a new automatic transmission with paddle-shift control.

“The CTS-V represents the full extension of our design, technology and performance capabilities,” says Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “The V-Series takes the award-winning CTS sport sedan and elevates it to a position within the club of the world’s most exclusive and capable cars.”

As an all-new version of the CTS sport sedan was prepared for 2008, Cadillac engineers and designers began to scheme a new CTS-V that would reach much higher in terms of performance and luxury. Through the original CTS-V, Cadillac proved it could develop a very potent, high-performance sedan. The challenge for the 2009 model was enhancing every aspect in a comprehensive manner, along with reaching higher performance limits.

Several key technical and design elements combine to transform the already highly capable CTS into the new V-Series. Like the existing CTS, the V-Series is the product of an intensive development process across North America and Europe, including famed test tracks and millions of miles of road. Supporting Cadillac’s ongoing global expansion, the 2009 CTS-V is planned to be offered outside North America for the first time, including exports to Europe, the Middle East and Asia.

Sophisticated technical enhancements

The 2009 Cadillac CTS-V features the world’s fastest-reacting suspension technology, Magnetic Ride Control (MRC). It uses shocks controlled by electro-magnets, rather than mechanical valves, greatly accelerating response time. Electronic sensors at all four wheels literally “read the road” every millisecond, making constant adjustments to damping to create virtually instantaneous and extremely precise control of body motions. This is of particular benefit for a high-performance sedan, helping to keep the car very composed during hard cornering, acceleration, braking and other dynamic maneuvers.

MRC technology first appeared on the Cadillac STS performance sedan and has been used on some of the world’s most celebrated cars, including the Chevrolet Corvette and a select few European sports cars.

Enabling the precise control expected in a high-performance sedan, the CTS-V features Performance Traction Management system, borrowed from championship racing teams. This technology uses advanced electronics to manage engine torque for optimal traction during acceleration. In situations such as acceleration from a stop or exiting corners, Performance Traction Management regulates torque delivery for the best possible launch.

Performance Traction Management uses the same sort of electronics as stability control programs such as Cadillac’s StabiliTrak system, but applies it in a different manner. Rather than monitoring and controlling wheel slip to assist in stopping or slowing the car, PTM regulates torque delivery to instantly match the available tire grip for maximum acceleration.

CTS-V also includes sophisticated braking and tire systems, in partnership with two companies renown for high-performance technology: Brembo and Michelin. Brembo brakes are at all four corners and include powerful, six-piston calipers in the front and four-piston calipers in the rear. Michelin worked with Cadillac engineers to develop its acclaimed Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) summer tire for CTS-V and its 19-inch wheels.

And, of course, there is the matter of power. It has increased nearly 35 percent for the ’09 CTS-V, via a new 6.2L LSA supercharged V-8 engine generating an estimated 550 hp (410 kW) and 550 lb.-ft. (745 Nm) of torque. The engine delivers this power with remarkable refinement. A sixth-generation Eaton supercharger minimizes the added noise previously associated with supercharged engines, and tightly controls intake air temperature for optimal performance.

Transmission choices include either a six-speed manual or an exclusive, six-speed automatic with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. It is the first automatic offered on the CTS-V.

Accentuated design elements

The 2009 CTS-V extends Cadillac’s acclaimed design language, both inside and out. The V-Series includes all the elements of the CTS sport sedan’s well received cabin, while adding some elegant and purposeful accents.

V-Series will offer Recaro performance driving seats, providing excellent support for spirited driving and adding to the luxurious and purposeful interior. These new, 14-way adjustable performance seats include pneumatic bolster controls in the seat cushion and backrest.

A microfiber material is added to the steering wheel, seats and shifter, providing the soft feel and luxurious appearance of suede without suede’s inherent drawbacks of difficult care and moisture sensitivity. These accents on the steering wheel, seat inserts and shifter are elegant to the touch and help support high-performance driving.

The car’s integrated center stack is trimmed with a new Obsidian material that is also applied to the center console and door trim. Just like every CTS, the V-Series includes a hand-stitched instrument panel, door trim and center console. Leading-edge infotainment features, including a 40-gigabyte hard drive, advanced navigation system with a “pop-up” screen and Bose digital surround audio, extend to the V-Series, as well as factory-installed Bluetooth capability.

The exterior of the new CTS-V amplifies the assertive stance and elegant details of the standard car, and communicates the car’s remarkable capabilities. The dihedral Cadillac grille is larger to enable more air intake and features a satin finish. The raised hood encompasses the supercharged engine, and new front and rear fascias identify the vehicle as a V-Series. The car’s 19-inch wheels enhance its stance on the road.

The founding member of the V-Series, CTS-V was initially offered in 2004 and sold primarily in North America through the 2007 model year. The supercharged STS-V and XLR-V were added in 2006 to make the V-Series an exclusive trio of models all capable of zero-to-60 acceleration in less than five seconds with enhanced overall performance and luxury features.

# # #

Well that embargo didn't last... :P

The Australian response to embargo breakers has been to attach the publication date to the copyright license (i.e. you will not have a license to publish photos or press releases until the embargo date)—publish before the embargo date and you're in breach of copyright and will be sued. While that won't stop anyone writing an original article revealing all the details, there can't be any photos, and who's going to read an article on the 9-4X etc. without photos to show what it actually looks like?

The reasoning is by breaking an embargo publications are seeking an advantage over the competition that will give them an economic gain (in readership and associated magazine/newspaper purchases and advertising revenue), and that gain will be forfeited if it is the result of a copyright breach. If a complaint is made search engines will also remove a site from their listings if it is posting illegal material (including copyright breaches, although in practice this almost never happens).

Ahhhh LSA, skeet! haha

550 HP sounds amazing, I just wish they didn't try to restrict the sound of a "supercharged engine." I love that whine!

Ahhhh LSA, skeet! haha

550 HP sounds amazing, I just wish they didn't try to restrict the sound of a "supercharged engine." I love that whine!

The first NOSgasm of the car show season!

Oooh, actually those were number four and five.

One through three NOSgasms came at the introduction of the ZR1.

*seriously trying to hold back number six*

Oooh, actually those were number four and five.

One through three NOSgasms came at the introduction of the ZR1.

*seriously trying to hold back number six*

Oops....forgot about those.

Hmmm...one of these, a ZR1, an Enclave and an '10 Camaro convertible would nicely fill out my win-the-lottery, all-GM dream car garage...

The question is will it cost $82,900 to compete with the M5 (GM says in the press release M5 and E63 are the competitors)? Or will it be priced around $62-65,000 and get compared with the M3 which is much lighter and more agile. It doesn't have an $82,000 car interior, and it can't handle with an M3 that is 750 pounds lighter. The same CTS vs 335i or 535i argument exists.

From a styling standpoint, I like the base car's grille more this looks too much like the old one. I like the wood better than the black stuff that replaced it, and I am not a big fan of the G8 concept wheels.

The question is will it cost $82,900 to compete with the M5 (GM says in the press release M5 and E63 are the competitors)? Or will it be priced around $62-65,000 and get compared with the M3 which is much lighter and more agile. It doesn't have an $82,000 car interior, and it can't handle with an M3 that is 750 pounds lighter. The same CTS vs 335i or 535i argument exists.

From a styling standpoint, I like the base car's grille more this looks too much like the old one. I like the wood better than the black stuff that replaced it, and I am not a big fan of the G8 concept wheels.

Wow! You have odd taste!! About 90% of posts, EVEN on BMW enthusiast forums, prefer this interior over the M5. I would say more than 50% of the posts I have read in various forums actually make it sound like they actually think this is the new benchmark for all other interiors to be judged by!!

The reasoning is by breaking an embargo publications are seeking an advantage over the competition that will give them an economic gain (in readership and associated magazine/newspaper purchases and advertising revenue), and that gain will be forfeited if it is the result of a copyright breach. If a complaint is made search engines will also remove a site from their listings if it is posting illegal material (including copyright breaches, although in practice this almost never happens).

In paper age it would have made sense to breach these embargoes for extra sale in publications. In internet age, this "time advantage" is very short. For example when I read about the CTS-V almost all publications had put the photos on their respective websites only to clutter the knowledge of who broke it first (in few minutes i.e. prior to the others). Yeah the breach can be found, but it is not worth it in pursuing.

The one option I see is that to make the files "active" automatically after the auto manufacturer's official release time and then give it to the publications to use them. Till that time, not even the publications can unlock the pictures and use them. This will render breaking embargoes useless.

Wow! You have odd taste!! About 90% of posts, EVEN on BMW enthusiast forums, prefer this interior over the M5. I would say more than 50% of the posts I have read in various forums actually make it sound like they actually think this is the new benchmark for all other interiors to be judged by!!

Having benchmarked the 5-Series, CTS, and multiple other vehicles in this class, I'd say the CTS and Mercedes C350 are the new standard in quality while the CTS is the new stand-alone leader in design.

The question is will it cost $82,900 to compete with the M5 (GM says in the press release M5 and E63 are the competitors)?

If you won a CTS-V in a contest... it couldn't compete with an M5 and an E63 because you got it for free.... right? If you want to go down that route, why do you never see the Z4 and SLK compared to a Corvette?? They base around the same price but the 'Vette would positively pwn both of them. So why don't you see those comparos? Because it doesn't make any F#$%ing sense to compare dissimilar vehicles that just happen to share a price point!

Or will it be priced around $62-65,000 and get compared with the M3 which is much lighter and more agile. It doesn't have an $82,000 car interior,

I'm trying to figure out how this is any more of an expensive interior than what is available in the CTS. No 40gig hard drive? No sky view sunroof? No pop up Nav? *scoff* I'm sure you'll counter with the 97 way power seats.... but that doesn't matter to me because the CTS seats already fit me perfectly.

1-800.jpg

The Benz is even worse.... is that a Passat?

2008-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-4.jpg

So yea.... if those are $80k interiors, I'll stick with the $63k interior in the CTS thanks.

and it can't handle with an M3 that is 750 pounds lighter.

How the hell would you know? The old CTS ran with the old M3 to the point where the differences between the two were up to driver error.

Here you go comparison of old CTS-V with respect to the old M3 and M5.

For example, in a ride-and-handling round-robin tour of our 10Best test loop, the Cadillac's rather aggressive suspension tuning trailed the more supple M5 in ride quality but wasn't as hard-edged as the M3. On the other hand, we rated its steering feel and response on a par with the BMWs', and we were impressed with the high threshold of Cadillac's stability-control system—much more willing to allow a little sliding than that of either BMW, and much less intrusive when it did intervene. We were even more impressed that GM allows the option of shutting down the system.
Certainly, there's more to public-road driving than max cornering speeds and late braking. And in the realm of livability, the Cadillac gives a very good account of itself. The front buckets don't offer quite as much lateral support as the M5's, but their range of adjustability is good, and if they give anything away in terms of all-around comfort, the distinction is academic. The M3's seats, in contrast, reflect the sportier nature of the car—almost raceworthy, but difficult to adjust and even harder to achieve long-distance comfort. We could wish that the Cadillac's steering column had a telescope feature as well as tilt, but no one reported any difficulties with achieving an optimal driving position.

In terms of general comfort and self-indulgence, the CTS-V is a clear winner. It's roomier than the M5, particularly in the rear, the electroluminescent instruments look good and scan better, the interior styling looks more contemporary than the aging BMW layouts, and the Caddy's audio system makes the BMW units sound very ordinary indeed.

Honestly as much as I do not want to say this, I have to, sometimes you have to ignore comments from people who cannot improve or change.

The M5 interior is nothing great either (the above pic is the 05 interior, they made it a little better for 08). The 5-series also came out in fall 2003, it is near the end, where as the CTS is brand new, the 5-series will be all new in a year or so. The Mercedes C-class has a garbage interior. The E-class though has better materials than the CTS does, despite the hard seats. The CLS is pretty nice and they make that in AMG tune as well. The Ford Focus also has a hard drive to store songs in, the CTS can't live off having a hard drive as cutting edge. Using top quality leather, aluminum, wood, carpet, etc make a good interior. Jaguar XF is an example.

The CTS interior is good for entry level luxury cars, but lacks heads-up display, lane departure warning, Bluetooth, adaptive cruise control, heated steering wheel, 7.1 surround sound, etc. The mid-level cars like the 5-series, E-class, CLS, Jag XF have that stuff. I don't really care for BMW styling inside or out, but I recognize that they use quality materials and their cars have the best handling/driving/steering. BMW sales were up 6.7% in 2007, Mercedes and Lexus were up 1.8% and Cadillac was down 5.7%. BMW is doing something right.

If the CTS-V is priced around $63,000 like the M3, people will compare it to an M3, just like the CTS DI is compared to the 335i. The M3 is 3500 pounds, 4200-4300 for a CTS-V, that is a bad mismatch on a curvy road. The Corvette performs near the low end Ferraris because of it's low weight. I don't understand why GM understands that with the Vette, but not with Cadillac. Giving up on a DOHC V8 and not having diesel and hybrid CTS on sale this year also show they don't understand the luxury market.

If the CTS-V is priced around $63,000 like the M3, people will compare it to an M3, just like the CTS DI is compared to the 335i. The M3 is 3500 pounds, 4200-4300 for a CTS-V, that is a bad mismatch on a curvy road. The Corvette performs near the low end Ferraris because of it's low weight. I don't understand why GM understands that with the Vette, but not with Cadillac. Giving up on a DOHC V8 and not having diesel and hybrid CTS on sale this year also show they don't understand the luxury market.

It will be interesting where the pricing ends up...from what I've read recently, the new M3 is going to be closer to $75k.

im sorry but why the #%$^ would a heated steering wheel be important? i still laugh at the heated seats in my dads 1500 but have begun to accept them, but a steering wheel? lets find a better reason to complain or i'll bring up the fact its raining here on my day off. thats a more logical thing to whine about.

Edited by cletus8269

If the CTS-V is priced around $63,000 like the M3, people will compare it to an M3, just like the CTS DI is compared to the 335i. The M3 is 3500 pounds, 4200-4300 for a CTS-V, that is a bad mismatch on a curvy road. The Corvette performs near the low end Ferraris because of it's low weight.

To the contrary I can say how can 3500lb Ferraris handle as good as a 3100lb corvette? My lumina is 3200lb it should handle as well as a corvette then as per your analogy. Or the Bentley continental gt with its 5000 lb weight should handle like my company's Chevy Silverado.

Weight is detrimental, but no way can you say it will hamper a car's handling.

im sorry but why the #%$^ would a heated steering wheel be important? i still laugh at the heated seats in my dads 1500 but have begun to accept them, but a steering wheel? lets find a better reason to complain or i'll bring up the fact its raining here on my day off. thats a more logical thing to whine about.

Heated seats are great in the winter...I'd like to have a heated steering wheel so I wouldn't have to wear gloves at startup after the car has sat out during a long cold day.. I'd like to have cooled seats and a cooled steering wheel as well.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0