Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NOS2006

Who Wants To Help Me

48 posts in this topic

Understand politics a little bit? I don't feel like researching, but I'd like to learn a little more UNBIASED information about politics.

Where do Democrats and Republicans usually differ? I know Dems are tree humpers and Reps typically will go to war much quicker than a Dem.

I honestly don't know hardly anything about this stuff and I wish I did since I can vote now. I also have to look up the people running.. whose all running to be Dem and to be Rep right now? Isn't it basically between Obama and Clinton right now for Democrats? And I only know of McCain running for Republican...

Somebody, please, enlighten me. :smilewide:

Look up the political definitions of "Right" and "Left" wing.

Republicans: Right wing.

Democrats: Slightly less right wing.

I feel for you Americans, having to vote with no real choice. The multi-party system we have in Canada gives real options.

Understand politics a little bit? I don't feel like researching, but I'd like to learn a little more UNBIASED information I honestly don't know hardly anything about this stuff and I wish I did since I can vote now. I also have to look up the people running.. whose all running to be Dem and to be Rep right now? Isn't it basically between Obama and Clinton right now for Democrats? And I only know of McCain running for Republican...

Well there's your first mistake right there; regardless of which of the three candidates you listed win the election (God forbid), we will still end up with a Democrat in the White House.

Anybody that stands on stage with some $h!bag like Ted Kennedy and advocates amnesty for illegal immigrants and benefits for their children that you or I could only dream of receiving is no Republican I know.

Look up the political definitions of "Right" and "Left" wing.

Republicans: Right wing.

Democrats: Slightly less right wing.

I feel for you Americans, having to vote with no real choice. The multi-party system we have in Canada gives real options.

:blink: :rotflmao:

NOS...I know you're a Delt at Kettering...and by logical extension that means you took the federally-mandated high school government class, correct?

Anyway...what constitutes a "Democrat" versus "Republican" is not set in stone, and has in fact varied quite a bit over the years. Generally-speaking, though:

Republicans tend to be fiscally conservative (except in regards to war), prefer low taxes, policies that benefit inheritances, investors, and businesses. Republicans tend to be more of the school of "an eye for an eye," hence why war is not shied away from, the death penalty is often favored, yet abortion is frowned upon. Republicans are generally socially-conservative, and favor protecting the rule of the majority. Not for gun control. Republicans tend to be more religious than Dems.

Democrats are not fiscally conservative and tend to favor far-reaching government in the form of social wellfare programs. Taxes tend to go up under Dems to pay for such programs. Dems like to protect the minority from "persecution," often by "lending a voice" to a small "under-represented" segment of the population. Civil rights are favored over security, and Dems as a whole are more liberal than R's. Also, most "activists" are Dems, as Dems tend to be a bit of an umbrella party for the various fringe and minority causes that exist. Pro gun control. Dems tend to be less concerned with religion than R's.

NOS, you just opened up for some very lengthy posts... :AH-HA_wink:

I have to say, I hate discussing politics because everyone gets so intense about them, and particularly if my friends begin talking about them, there are two families that get in such a heated debate that the room becomes silent after they talk.

Also, since I started voting... there has never been a candidate I've liked. I'm always choosing the least worse candidate.

NOS...I know you're a Delt at Kettering...and by logical extension that means you took the federally-mandated high school government class, correct?

And passed. However, that doesn't mean I learned or retained anything... I could care less about the government when I was 15 or 16 years old. I did the work I had to do and passed, and with an A or B because I never got a C until my junior or senior year.

Anyway, I really appreciate you guys helping me out here. I'm sure I'm not the only one kinda looking around at politics like, "WTF." Actually, yeah, I probably am lol. But whatever, you're all helping.

Keep up the UNBIASED discussion. :)

Hold IT!!!

ok, let's pull back a little. DEM vs REP is different than liberal vs conservative. D v R can be anywhere on a 2 axis plane social vs economical , cause D and R are just labels people give each other and themselves. liberal and conservative are ideas on one axis, left and right. (typically)

I'm going to do my best to restrain myself here, so just a few non-partisan points.

Party affiliation only goes so far, each candidate is a product of their region and upbringing. You will find a wide array of positions on a given topic among different candidates within the same party.

Don't forget that there are other parties - look into them for some perspective at least.

You will likely find no single candidate with a position you like on every issue - so check 'em all out and vote anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_spectrum

* Public control of the means of production (left), or private control of the means of production (right).

* Workers' self-management (left), or employment (right).

* Redistribution of wealth and income (left), or acceptance of inequalities as a result of the free market (right).

* Equality through law (left), or equality under law (right)

* Whether the government's policy on the economy should be interventionist (left) or laissez-faire (right).

* Support for widened lifestyle choices (left), or support for traditional values (right).

* Whether human nature is more malleable (left) or intrinsic (right).

* Whether an individual's locus of control is more external (left) or internal (right).

* Personal philosophy and liberal spiritualism (left) versus traditional religious morality (right).

* Collectivism (left) versus individualism (right).

* Support for internationalism (left), or national cultural and economic autonomy (right).

* Belief in class conflict (left), or in class collaboration/class ambivalence (right).

this looks very good to me...at least as a guide.

so you're saying only facts can be used. facts aren't biased. and since you put opinions as = political, if that's totally true than every opinion on here violates our #2 "rule"

Here's a very simple, basic breakdown:

Conservatives (Republicans) tend to favor tight regulation on moral issues and low regulation on economic issues. For example; most conservative people will favor censorship of entertainment (Not always a bad thing -- Our kids don't need to grow up any faster) and probably favor things such as the ten comandments being put up/left up in courthouses. (Not always a bad thing either as long as it doesn't limit freedom. This country was founded on christianity and, like it or not, cannot function without it's principles) Another example is deregulation in big business. During the Reagan years businesses were allowed and encouraged to consolidate and thus began the BIG corporations we have today (Think: Clear Channel, Fox, AOL-Time Warner, Exxon Mobil, etc.) This isn't always a good thing as it tends to make the rich richer and lead to oligopolies.

Liberals (Democrats) tend to favor very little regulation of media/entertainment, yet like to regulate big business pretty heavily. (Not at all a bad thing) For example; most of Hollywood hates the current administration because it is censoring their "freedom of speech" by giving the FCC added power. For better or worse, they do have a right to believe that because sometimes the government does get carried away. Another example is a liberal might choose to support a local business as opposed to a chain store. (Think: Buying coffee that is a little more expensive at the neighborhood shop as opposed to going to SBUX) Yet another example of this would be someone like Obama siding with the labor unions as opposed to big business.

OF COURSE, the perfect scenario is a compromise between the two (A moderate) but apparently that is the 'out of style' thing now in politics because no one seems to want to wake up and have a little common sense about the issues. Instead, ALL of the politicians seem to push this non stop turf war on issues about "how our party does it." THIS is what is ruining america, IMO. We need AT LEAST one other party to seriously run for the presidency.

I personally consider myself a moderate. I'm a registered independent and I tend to side with conservatives on moral issues but tend to go with liberals on a lot of business issues.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Just another little tidbit:

States vary quite a bit in how they handle party afilliation. In some states, a registered democrat must vote only in the democratic primary, in others, he could choose which primary to vote in. While an independent may be able to vote in either primary, or not at all.

Here in PA, we have a closed primary (you can only vote within your registered party). So, at different times I have been registered as a Republican, a Democrat, and a Libertarian so that I could vote a certain way in certain elections.

I tend to be middle to left on most things...socially liberal, fiscal moderate. There are just too many groups I strongly dislike for me to ever vote or identify with the Republican party..

I tend to be middle to left on most things...socially liberal, fiscal moderate. There are just too many groups I strongly dislike for me to ever vote or identify with the Republican party..

<---pretty much the same way

And passed. However, that doesn't mean I learned or retained anything... I could care less about the government when I was 15 or 16 years old. I did the work I had to do and passed, and with an A or B because I never got a C until my junior or senior year.

I'm just giving you &#036;h&#33;, buddy. :lol:

Edited by Croc

This country was founded on christianity and, like it or not, cannot function without it's principles

Not trying to be an ass, but that isn't accurate. The founding fathers did consist of some Christians, but many of them were atheist/agnostic and NOT Christian. The US was not founded to favor or base itself upon any religion, hence the separation clause.

Not trying to be an ass, but that isn't accurate. The founding fathers did consist of some Christians, but many of them were atheist/agnostic and NOT Christian. The US was not founded to favor or base itself upon any religion, hence the separation clause.

This country was founded by a bunch of rich white landholding slave owners that refused to pay their taxes.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0