R.I.P. Isuzu of America

Yes, Isuzu has announced that they will be leaving the United States light-vehicle market after 2008.

Not that you might have noticed, of course, since their final two products are rebadged GMC models.

Still, they did provide some cool stuff over the course of their stay with us. The Isuzu Impulse, for starters (either the original rear-drive version or the front-driver better known as the Geo Storm). Also the original Trooper, which may be lacking in design flair but has very good credentials as an off-road machine. And then there was the Amigo, as well as a very solid line of small pickup trucks (starting with the Chevy LUV and evolving from there), and Honda's first overpriced SUV (the Passport), derived from the popular Rodeo.

And let's not forget Joe Isuzu, their irrepressible (and irresponsible?) pitchman of the 1980s.

joe_isuzu_1.jpg

Post your remembrances, eulogies, or whatever, here.

Guest YellowJacket894

I personally wouldn't mind if a VehiCross or a Axiom wandered its way into my driveway. You can't deny that both SUVs were quite interestingly designed and are different to look at. You don't see very many of them on the road, as well.

Well, they did help GM a little...so I'll miss em'....

The Chevy LUV, the powertrain for the Chevette, Chevy/Geo Spectrum, Geo Storm, the Duramax diesel, thousands of medium-duty cab-over trucks (which will remain available), and reportedly a large chunk of engineering for the Colorado/Canyon twins.

Yeah, they did their part.

I always liked the way the Axiom looked, too bad they got it bass ackwards and made look like a wagon/car that handles like a truck.

Funny how some people make excuses for them and seem to be almost sad they are leaving when they contributed nothing worth remembering, except the Duramax I guess, and sold nothing but junk, and in the end not even their own junk!

Then we'll move to another thread and make fun of Ford or Chrysler.

Now if only all the mindless GM humpers that contribute nothing would leave...

Seriously.

I don't understand the logic behind posts like this. Why anyone would want less competition between automakers, less choice, less variety in the marketplace...is beyond me.

Seriously.

I don't understand the logic behind posts like this. Why anyone would want less competition between automakers, less choice, less variety in the marketplace...is beyond me.

Communist/ignorant mentality. People like this want only the big three to run the car industry.

I always liked the way the Axiom looked, too bad they got it bass ackwards and made look like a wagon/car that handles like a truck.

Funny how some people make excuses for them and seem to be almost sad they are leaving when they contributed nothing worth remembering, except the Duramax I guess, and sold nothing but junk, and in the end not even their own junk!

Then we'll move to another thread and make fun of Ford or Chrysler.

Well they weren't really junk. They were actually durable machines.

{sarcasm to 11} I'd like every single automaker to be available in the U.S. market; all the chinese, all european, South American (?)... absolutely every single brand in the world, regardless. Let's add to that by bringing back every single defunct automaker, too; they all had good points: DeSoto, Edsel, Imperial, Hudson, Duesenberg, Auburn, Whippet, Chandler, Jewett, Apperson, YUGO, the Grico Twin-Motor Truck Tractor, ALL of them! How can we not benefit as consumers with 8000+ makes available to chose from? If more is betterer, then even more is even betterer!! More features, more monitors, more weight, more wheels, moremoremoremore, I want it all and I'm entitled! Reading a car magazine would literally take all month- no more down-time! Platinum cars with diamond wheels, cars made out of reconstituted radioactive monkey $h! and every single possible variant in between- BRING 'EM ON and HURRY!!!

Obviously, this dilution of the shrinking U.S. market will only make each manufacturer HAVE to build better & better vehicles since each is now only building maybe 1000 units/year, (look at how well all the independants have prospered in history) until they are so orgasmically wonderous, the 1 million drivers left who can afford a new car will have to take a pill in order not to faint in the driveway every morning! THERE CANNOT BE LIMITS TO ANYTHING, I SED SO!!!!!! LOOK how open-minded and continental and decidedly non-Communist I am! [/sarcasm}

{sarcasm to 11} I'd like every single automaker to be available in the U.S. market; all the chinese, all european, South American (?)... absolutely every single brand in the world, regardless. Let's add to that by bringing back every single defunct automaker, too; they all had good points: DeSoto, Edsel, Imperial, Hudson, Duesenberg, Auburn, Whippet, Chandler, Jewett, Apperson, YUGO, the Grico Twin-Motor Truck Tractor, ALL of them! How can we not benefit as consumers with 8000+ makes available to chose from? If more is betterer, then even more is even betterer!! More features, more monitors, more weight, more wheels, moremoremoremore, I want it all and I'm entitled! Reading a car magazine would literally take all month- no more down-time! Platinum cars with diamond wheels, cars made out of reconstituted radioactive monkey $h! and every single possible variant in between- BRING 'EM ON and HURRY!!!

Obviously, this dilution of the shrinking U.S. market will only make each manufacturer HAVE to build better & better vehicles since each is now only building maybe 1000 units/year, (look at how well all the independants have prospered in history) until they are so orgasmically wonderous, the 1 million drivers left who can afford a new car will have to take a pill in order not to faint in the driveway every morning! THERE CANNOT BE LIMITS TO ANYTHING, I SED SO!!!!!! LOOK how open-minded and continental and decidedly non-Communist I am! [/sarcasm}

Oh... Totally.

• 5 months later...

Isuzu was kinda dead to me when they stopped making passenger cars. Definitely dead when they were down to a throwaway badge-engineered Envoy.

Loved the Impulse, Axiom, Rodeo/Amigo, and the turbo I-Mark and Stylus.

Once they stopped developing cars, it would have been nice to see them merge with Honda (would have kept the Honda brand from their attempts at non-cars). Japan Inc. is supposed to take care of their own.