Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Illustration: '11 Jaguar XJ

NOS2006

jagxj1wp9.jpg

XJ prototypes spy photographers have spotted are for mechanical testing only, using old XJ bodies instead of the much-rumored redesigned exterior. However, based on what we've been hearing from sources, our artists were able to create an illustration of how the finished car could look.

Jaguar has reportedly previewed the car — codenamed X351 — to VIPs in the dealer world and elsewhere. One source who has seen a preview of the new XJ described it as similar to the Aston Martin Rapide in appearance. Larger than the coupe-like Mercedes CLS, the new XJ has a sloping roofline and very sleek exterior overall, sources say.

Jaguar's design chief Ian Callum has even openly stated the new XJ will be a fair bit more daring than the new XF, since it's a lower volume model. We're expecting to see sleeker headlamps like those on the popular C-XF concept, plus an especially low-slung profile.

The new XJ will continue to use its predecessor's all-aluminum chassis — and that's a good thing. We might see a concept previewing the new XJ in the next year, but the production is still 18 to 24 months away.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jaguar-xj-future.html

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this......but as much as I actually like the design of the XF.....and of this illustration of the XJ.....I simply do not see much of anything that says "Jaguar" to me.....

And well-finished as it may be, the interior of the XF certainly doesn't look as plush or stylish as what all the (british) buff mags are making it out to be.

When I was at the L.A. car show in November/December, the XF was resolutely igorned by the crowds....! There were two on display, none that you could get up to or sit in....but the crowds around the turntables were conspicuously absent.

Know where all the attention was? The XK garned it's fair share of attention.....but it was the MCE XJ-8 that had people swarming all over it....! I didn't like it in pictures with it's redone from bumper/clip, etc., but in person I can admit it's a striking sedan.....looks every bit a Jaguar.....and had an interior that seemed true to the marque....

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of this......but as much as I actually like the design of the XF.....and of this illustration of the XJ.....I simply do not see much of anything that says "Jaguar" to me.....

And well-finished as it may be, the interior of the XF certainly doesn't look as plush or stylish as what all the (british) buff mags are making it out to be.

Well, with the XF (and I presume the next XJ) Jaguar is trying to break with the past...no more retro cues. Whether or not the new design language will be successful or not remains to be seen...

When I was at the L.A. car show in November/December, the XF was resolutely igorned by the crowds....! There were two on display, none that you could get up to or sit in....but the crowds around the turntables were conspicuously absent.

I was there and the intro of the XF was what was attracting attention, though I remember the other sedan getting a lot of attention as well; it's a classy sedan but in general the luxury carmakers are going for bold and brash, and that's what is winning hearts. Generally the section was crowded thanks to being next to LR, Audi/VW. The interior seemed decadent and perfectly styled to me. imo, also both this illustration and the XF are hot, and that's all that counts.

I see Jag cues in this illustration. I don't see them as much in the XF, in person. But from the illustration, you have the lower body lines that are concave and like a coke bottle in classic Jag form, there's the sleek roof with the sloped winshield, the low roofline leading to a very small greenhouse, a rear shape that recalls former Jags, and general detailing in the front hood and fascia. The front end treatment seems to say Jaguar to me, moreso than the XK coupe.

But they're hot, and I think that's what really counts. The current crop of MBs have evolved a lot and left behind a lot of MB retro cues.....

• 4 months later...
The current crop of MBs have evolved a lot and left behind a lot of MB retro cues.....

They still seem to have retained that Mercedes style greenhouse.

Jaguar wants to completely cut ties with 1968 with this new XJ.

Looks like something from 1996.

Look at Chrysler concepts from the 1990s!