Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Motor Trend First Drive: 2008 Buick LaCrosse Super

wildcat

Motor Trend today shared its initial impressions about the 2008 Buick LaCrosse Super. Buick fans might be especially happy with the last line of Motor Trend's report, which states, "Way more to the point, at $32,605, it's a whole lot of Buick for $1980 less than a Lexus ES350." To read the entire "First Drive," click here.

The only bad thing is, it still has the front end only a mother could love and the interior while much nicer than the standard version, doesn't look like its worth the money. Personally with the Super's price point, it may be a grand or so cheaper than an ES, but its also right around the price point of the CTS, a far superior car in every way. Maybe the NG LaCrosse will be the one that truly defines the Super brand, if it has the right combo of style it can potentially be a great alternative to the CTS' crisp lines and more performance oriented tuning.

• Disagree 1

You know, I really didn't like the new front end either until I saw it in person. Then I thought it wasn't too bad. I checked one of these out at the Buick dealership. With GMS and $2500 or $3000 in rebates (I don't remember which it was), I thought it might not be a bad buy. I've always liked cars that were "sleepers", which this car clearly is, so I seriously considered getting one.

It came down to the fact that overall they won't sell in big numbers, and most people don't know what they are and won't be looking for one on the used car market. That means low residual value, low, low trade-in value and a lot of difficulties selling it on my own. Kind of like my Saab 9-2x I'm selling except at least that is basically a highly desirable Subaru WRX and has name recognition within that community.

I gotta say, I really liked the Red Jewel Tintcoat colored LaCrosse Super that was on display at the recent Philly Auto Show (not so crazy about the brown-colored one next to it though). I was not a fan of the new front/grille, but for some reason I don't mind it as much on the LaCrosse Super. Here are three pictures I took of the red one:

DSCN5170.jpg

DSCN5171.jpg

DSCN5172.jpg

Now the real question is would I buy a Buick LaCrosse Super over a Pontiac G8 GT? I really don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...
I gotta say, I really liked the Red Jewel Tintcoat colored LaCrosse Super that was on display at the recent Philly Auto Show (not so crazy about the brown-colored one next to it though). I was not a fan of the new front/grille, but for some reason I don't mind it as much on the LaCrosse Super. Here are three pictures I took of the red one:

DSCN5170.jpg

DSCN5171.jpg

DSCN5172.jpg

Now the real question is would I buy a Buick LaCrosse Super over a Pontiac G8 GT? I really don't think so.

Thanks for posting. It looks exactly like the one I bought last August. In fact, I had the ONLY one in the state of IL at the time, so I got a lot of stares whenever I parked it at grocery stores or restaurants. I'm 64 years old and have owned one true musclecar, a '66 Nova SS (with the L-79 engine), in my life. I can't say my Super is a true musclecar (FWD), although its 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are a little quicker than my Nova's. My son wants to buy a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. I told him I liked the G8 GT (except for its dull exhaust note), but it's not really an older guy's car.

• 4 months later...
Motor Trend today shared its initial impressions about the 2008 Buick LaCrosse Super. Buick fans might be especially happy with the last line of Motor Trend's report, which states, "Way more to the point, at $32,605, it's a whole lot of Buick for $1980 less than a Lexus ES350." To read the entire "First Drive," click here.

"The 5.3-liter small-block V-8's exhaust roar has been muted, at the expense of three horsepower (for an even 300)." No problem! I gained that 3 hp back by first removing the totally useless resonator (and installing a straight pipe in its place) and then having the two stock mufflers replaced with universal Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers (part no. 17734). The exhaust sound is mellow at idle and aggressive at acceleration.

• 8 years later...

I remember building these things. Torque-steer central with that LS4. The Grand Prix version at least had the tires to try and balance the handling out. But the transaxles were basically being set up for failure.

Old GM: where the great and the goofy would collide at breakneck speed.

• Agree 1

That 5.3 thooo.... As long as you weren't trying to race it and just wanted the feel of a V8, I'm sure it was just the ticket.

FWIW, even my 3.4 DOHC with 215 lb-ft of torque would torque steer, but even that car was fun and went like snot.

The Transmission even with no racing were very limited. GM did suffer many failures in all the FWD 5.3 models. 

The only thing that made them live as long as they did was the engine managment. This really cut the true performance of the car. 

I know people who had the transmissions rebuilt and up graded to take more punishment and removed some of the engine management and these things could really run. Too bad it was FWD and struggled to hook up.