Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Car options for my mother

OK, so the choices have been narrowed based on her requirements, and the cars that fit them that she likes have been selected. So here is the final list of all the ones she is considering...

1. Eclipse (Spyder or coupe)

2. Mustang (Convertible or coupe)

3. G6 (Hardtop convertible only, doesn't like the coupe)

4. Altima coupe

5. Accord coupe

6. BMW 128 coupe / cabrio

7. Mazda RX-8

Eos, MINI, and C30 were all considered and dropped from the list.

So, of those seven, what would you choose and why?

1. Eclipse (Spyder or coupe) No, who knows how much longer Mitsu will even be here.

2. Mustang (Convertible or coupe) There are worse choices. If she likes it, go for it. RWD in Toronto?

3. G6 (Hardtop convertible only, doesn't like the coupe) Not bad, get the 3.9, looks sexy with the top down.

4. Altima coupe Eh, styling is bad from the rear

5. Accord coupe The coupe is one of the few Hondas I like style wise. Get it in red.

6. BMW 128 coupe / cabrio no, too bloody expensive for what you get

7. Mazda RX-8 I have a soft spot for these and have always wanted to drive one. So I'd say yes.

1. Eclipse (Spyder or coupe) Not a bad looking car at all, I'd wait for the MCE to be on market though
  2. Mustang (Convertible or coupe) Get it with the manual because the auto sucks the life out of it.
  3. G6 (Hardtop convertible only, doesn't like the coupe) Looks oddly proportioned, cheap inside, did I mention ugly?
  4. Altima coupe Looks better in dark colors and up close, but the further away you stand from it the more strange the proportions get. Also doesn't seem to handle as well as the sedan for whatever odd reason.
  5. Accord coupe I like the coupe a lot, it's one of the few Hondas with style, and actually looks desirable, plus it seems to be a great drive
  6. BMW 128 coupe / cabrio Overpriced, styling is kinda funky along the sides, probably spartan compared to the others for similar price
  7. Mazda RX-8 suicide doors add practicality to the coupe concept, looks good even now, just not good on gas....but it handles great

The only one I can say I definitely wouldn't recommend is the G6. I personally would not go on with the Altima, and the BMW, the rest are fair game.

The Eclipse, Mustang, G6, and Altima are kinda crude, and they'll depreciate like last year's laptop. Apart from the Mustang, which can be timeless in the right spec, I don't think they will age well.

The RX-8 is interesting, but it's not exactly practical or well-suited for everyday driving. For the long haul, I'd get the 128i or Accord coupe, both of which I can imagine still being desirable after five years. The Accord is comfortable, well-made, economical, and reasonably priced with the 4-cylinder; the V6 six-speed approaches $30K, and at that price, I'd get the more entertaining 1-series. The BMW is the quickest of the bunch, is rear-drive but has stability control (something you can't get in the Mustang) as well as the uncompromised engineering you'd expect from a premium marque: 50/50 weight distribution, aluminum rear suspension, complimentary scheduled maintenance, and so on.

It's $5K less than a 3-series, and like all Bimmers, you can get European Delivery on it ($25,245 ED invoice, including destination). It does have an image problem, being a new BMW and all. An Audi TT gets around that problem...

Mustang, G6 or 128i, in no particular order. The Mustang is a permanent fixture here in the USA, thank God. The G6 is very handsome in convertible form, top up or down, and the owner reviews have been good at Edmunds. The 128 is just a sweet car, bumper to bumper.

1. Eclipse (Spyder or coupe) - Not sure about anything Mitsu, and of course there's the issue of the company pulling out of the US before her warranty is up

2. Mustang (Convertible or coupe) - V6 vert = quintessential chick car. She'll be compelled to stock up on hot pink lipstick and nail polish. However, it doesn't go, stop, or handle all that well compared to the other cars listed here.

3. G6 (Hardtop convertible only, doesn't like the coupe) - interior is cheap and ugly, the only hardtop 'vert presented here, giving her the best of both worlds. Consider going CPO for a nice deal

4. Altima coupe - looks like an rejected design proposal for the G35. No thanks

5. Accord coupe - Accord coupe > Accord sedan. Looks awkward from some angles, but otherwise an OK choice.

6. BMW 128 coupe / cabrio - It's a BMW. Probably more than what she's looking for. I could take it or leave it.

7. Mazda RX-8 - Not great on gas, not all that torquey, burns oil

My mother, now that husband #3 has passed away (BTW, any guys out there interested? she's got money) wants to get rid of her Grand Caravan. Too big for shuttling her carcass back and forth from her place in Panama City Beach and Collingwood. Friends of hers down in Florida have a Vibe. She likes it. Asked my opinion on the internet. (Besides the fact that I've only spoken to her once - at her late husband's funeral in December, in 6 years)

Here is what I told her: the Vibe is gutless. I know 2 people who own them and they got rid of them because they have no power. She is used to 6 cylinders, so I think the Vibe would be too small for her.

Since my mother will do as she pleases anyway, what I opine doesn't matter, but I told her to consider the HHR, the Journey (even though Dodge has re-invented 1990s plastics), and the Uplander (only because the RWB is cheaper than the Journey.) She has a dog and will do a fair bit of highway driving. I am also trying to talk her into leasing, because paying cash is not really smart, even though she has more cash now than she will ever be able to take with her. She is 66 this year and being as she is the Spawn of Satan, she will probably live another 30 years. (BTW, I know what this revelation implies, but if you knew my family, I must be adopted.)

Anyone who knows me postings on this board knows that I would never recommend an import for her, and in one of the few sensbilities she has, she would never buy an import. Husband #2 did buy a (then new) '79 Datsun 510, which we all thought bizarre at the time (even though I grudgingly admitted was a nice car.) She has owned a bunch of Caravans, then had a 1980 Ford Econoline, all customized up, complete with murals and shag carpet (and about 10 mpg).