Describing Music....

Plato: Music...gives wings to the mind, a soul to the universe, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, a life to everything.

Considering "musical" threads of the past, is this a good description of music? What (if anything) would you add?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Finding trust and love is not always easy to make" ... Yael Naim ... 'New Soul'

Edited by knightfan26917

I think music speaks to the soul. It can enhance or change your moods. Music is very important to me, the mood of the music and the style. I put the most emphasis on the lyrics, I love musicians who tell stories with their songs, like Rush for example. But I generally need Metal, whether good mood or bad. I believe that we need music, our brains crave it. I also believe in a connection on some level between music and intelligence.

The Word

(Graeme Edge)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This garden universe vibrates complete.

Some we get a sound so sweet.

Vibrations reach on up to become light,

And then thru gamma, out of sight.

Between the eyes and ears there lay,

The sounds of colour and the light of a sigh.

And to hear the sun, what a thing to believe.

But it's all around if we could but perceive.

To know ultra-violet, infra-red and X-rays,

Beauty to find in so many ways.

Two notes of the chord, that's our fluoroscope.

But to reach the chord is our lifes hope.

And to name the chord is important to some.

So they give a word, and the word is OM.

And to elaborate on what i said before, I think the best way to describe music or art is to describe what it means to be an artist. To me art is anything that people find beautiful, moving, inspiring, etc. Most of us can identify this in its more obvious forms (arranged music, and even sometimes unarranged sounds, like the babbling of a stream in a forest) but the true artist is the person who can see this beauty in situations where other can't, and is able to rearrange that in a way to make others realize this beauty. The result of their actions is art. The musician does this with sound. And some blessed people can do it with their very lives.

And to elaborate on what i said before, I think the best way to describe music or art is to describe what it means to be an artist. To me art is anything that people find beautiful, moving, inspiring, etc. Most of us can identify this in its more obvious forms (arranged music, and even sometimes unarranged sounds, like the babbling of a stream in a forest) but the true artist is the person who can see this beauty in situations where other can't, and is able to rearrange that in a way to make others realize this beauty. The result of their actions is art. The musician does this with sound. And some blessed people can do it with their very lives.

:thumbsup:

The Word

(Graeme Edge)

Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world who like The Moody Blues.

"Music is the only thing in this world, with the exception of sneezing and looking at the sunset, that takes you to a place that's above the mundane. Everything else is just bull$h!." - Stephan Jenkins

Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world who like The Moody Blues.

"Music is the only thing in this world, with the exception of sneezing and looking at the sunset, that takes you to a place that's above the mundane. Everything else is just bull$h!." - Stephan Jenkins

You are not alone, the Moodys are a major part of my musical life. :thumbsup:

I copied and pasted those lyrics, and I've noticed a few mistakes - so it's safe to say that I'm a Moody Blues fan. :AH-HA_wink:

Looks like Reg logged-off just as I posted this.

So, I'll ask the questions and hijack the thread for a bit.

Can anyone name the band who released this cover?

And can anyone explain how the album cover is car-related? And if so, how specific can you be?

The band was Blind Faith from the late 60s.

The 'airplane' in her hands I believe is a hood ornament but I am not sure which car exactly it is from.

Anyway, kind of surpising that a band with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood would only survive for one album.

How close am I??

The band was Blind Faith from the late 60s.

The 'airplane' in her hands I believe is a hood ornament but I am not sure which car exactly it is from.

Anyway, kind of surpising that a band with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood would only survive for one album.

How close am I??

Very, all you are missing is the make, model, and year of the hood ornament.

Here ya go ,Reg.

I've combined the topics for you!

LOL! I love it :).

But, seriously, dang ... some awesomely insightful thoughts on music and art in general ... wow.

Hmmm...one description I add to Plato's list:

"Music is the soundtrack for road trips."

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I may lose the battle, but I love the fight" ... John Schneider ... 'Love, You Ain't Seen The Last Of Me'