Oldsmobile Returns! Car and Driver today!

That's just wrong. There's a fine line between absurdly funny & just plain damn inappropriate!

I'm actually pissed off as a result of this article. I guess I love Oldsmobile too much, but it pisses me off to make a mockery of this great piece of American automotive history. Some things are better off not made fun of, and this is one. Oldsmobile Land Cruiser, f@#king pathetic. <_<

Too bad people weren't buying 'em.

John Rock had a the right idea. He just wasn't allowed to finish.

They sold 261,000 cars in 2000 with 5 models.

Buick, Hummer and Saab this year combined won't sell that many cars and they have 8 models.

I agree that Olds had the right idea, they just weren't allowed to see it through. They were going DOHC and trying to improve interiors 8 years ago. Just now Buick-Chevy are getting DOHC V6s to compete with Honda and Toyota.

Yes, but Olds would not be selling 261K in '08, either, and they would probably be down to more like 3 models, too. Compare the same year's numbers, at least.

I disagree, Oldsmobile had its model line cut down to 5 models after loosing Cutlass and Eighty Eight leaving little over lap in its line up. The Aurora would have been redesigned along with the Intrigue replacement and a modern Alero (Saturn Aura IMO). The Minivan would have been replaced with an SUV (Outlook) that would have also replaced the Bravada but would have had many trim levels to fill the entire gap.

GM should have combined Oldsmobile and Saturn or Oldsmobile and Buick into a sales channel. Many of the hard work being done today, was done by Olds 10 years ago (cutting models, better engines, going for younger customers).

Either way it doesn't matter because Oldsmobile has been delegated to the history books along with Packard and the many other great American automobile companies that didn't make it.

Maybe GM could buy Duesenberg and try to bring them back. They had awesome cars.

Since GM paid off all the Olds dealers, maybe one way to reduce the sales channel and dealer problem is kill 3-4 brands and bring back Olds but sell the license fee at a premium price to offset the dealer payoffs to dump dead weight like Saab, Hummer, Buick, and so-so Saturn.

• 1 month later...
I disagree, Oldsmobile had its model line cut down to 5 models after loosing Cutlass and Eighty Eight leaving little over lap in its line up. The Aurora would have been redesigned along with the Intrigue replacement and a modern Alero (Saturn Aura IMO). The Minivan would have been replaced with an SUV (Outlook) that would have also replaced the Bravada but would have had many trim levels to fill the entire gap.

GM should have combined Oldsmobile and Saturn or Oldsmobile and Buick into a sales channel. Many of the hard work being done today, was done by Olds 10 years ago (cutting models, better engines, going for younger customers).

Either way it doesn't matter because Oldsmobile has been delegated to the history books along with Packard and the many other great American automobile companies that didn't make it.

I think where GM messed up Oldsmobile is when they axed the eighty eight. they then lost all those buyers to Buick, Toyota Avalon, and Mercury. axing the Cutlass was also a bad choice. the Aurora probably would have been built until probably 2005-2006.

if Olds was still alive today id say they would have had the following models.

Epsilion sedan and coupe, the Aurora probably would have went to the RWD sigma platform, they would have probably recieved the outlook instead of Saturn. and we also might have seen a theta CUV based on the equinox, there wouldnt have been a Pontiac Torrent. the Bravada would still be in production and there would have never been a Buick Ranier.

No marque is ever necessarily dead forever. Look at Maybach, Bugatti, Mini...

With GM's health on shaky ground, perhaps a group of folks would be happy to purchase the rights to the brand name. Oldsmobile doesn't make GM any money sitting in the dustbin of history.

And if GM won't sell it willingly, just wait until GM goes chapter 7. ;-)

I wonder how much Cerberus wants for the AMC naming rights? After all, they are a group of folks that supposedly know a good deal when they see it.