Game on for the 300 HP Solstice in 09

Motor Trend is reporting the Soltice and Sky will get the much expected 300 HP Ecotec Turbo next year.

Here is what Autoblog reported.

Sporting a specific output of 130 horsepower-per-liter, the turbocharged, direct-injected Ecotec four-cylinder from GM that's featured in the Pontiac Solstice GXP, Saturn Sky Redline and SS versions of the Chevy HHR and Cobalt, is already one heck of an accomplishment. But wait... there's more -- power that is. According to Motor Trend, shortly after the Solstice Coupe goes on sale next year, the blown-Ecotec could make 300 horsepower or more, putting it in close competition with performance stalwarts such as Nissan's Z. What's more, the same engine should also be available in the convertible versions of both the Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline as well, paired only with a five-speed manual tranny in all applications.

This is just a rumor at this point, but MT seems pretty confident in its validity, citing higher intercooled boost along with a new fuel rail as the tech behind the power increase. The rumor does not mention if the higher-output mill will appear in other applications, though we remember something about the Camaro possibly getting a turbo-four mill as an option, and a tuner-friendly option offering 300 galloping horsies in stock form would make for a very interesting option in the pony car.

300 HP has long been expected and I had one heard a GM employee also say it was coming with the Targa. Well the Targa is on for 09 too. So it looks good.

Motortrend isn't always reliable, but 300 hp is probably doable with a DI turbo version of the 2.4 liter. Would be a good engine for the Camaro also.

This is not a Motor Trend Fable. It has been well know GM was going to go to 300 HP but we just did not know when.

320 HP legal power is also avaiable per past show cars with production parts. [The Gold car].

Johin Lingenfelter before his passing raced for my Company and was well on his way to over 2000 HP with this engine using the Saab Castings. They went to the 3.6 V6 and were just over 2500 HP.

These engines and Turbos make it possible to do many great things. These are not the T type Turbo's of 1978.

I can see well over 400 HP avaialable from the 3.6.

The 1000-HP Ecotec race motors use over 50% stock parts, IIRC; 300 should be a snap.

The race motors might give the engineers valuable experience in that respect; but regardless of how many stock parts are used, those race motors are likely rebuilt between each event, and the production motors need to last thousands of, if not a million, miles.

The Evo has been doing similar output for many many years now, it shouldn't be an issue for GM to make a reliable 2.0L 300hp motor. The biggest hurdle will be shaping the powerband into something livable and eliminating turbo lag.

If you watch SETUP on Speed, they discussed some power adders to the Solsti they were working on, and that they had the first 12 kits in the country. I would love to know what the power increase is.

If you do watch, did you catch the accident in the last episode. DESTROYED a Solstice with at least 3 flips. UGLY.

>>"The race motors might give the engineers valuable experience in that respect; but regardless of how many stock parts are used, those race motors are likely rebuilt between each event, and the production motors need to last thousands of, if not a million, miles."<<

They may very well be torn down regularly, but of course there's a lot at stake in professional racing that makes this a prudent practice. Of course, ANY street engine is not subject to anywhere near the demands a 1000+ HP drag motor is, so the relative small sliver of 300 HP should not see undue durability issues- jeez; it's not that big of a step over the 260 HP even if that is the 2.4L mill. But the fact that half of the OEM parts can handle that level of power is very much the point: MOST if not all of the current parts should handle a mere 300 HP with long-term durability if they can handle 3.5 times that under sledgehammer conditions.

The race motors might give the engineers valuable experience in that respect; but regardless of how many stock parts are used, those race motors are likely rebuilt between each event, and the production motors need to last thousands of, if not a million, miles.

The Evo has been doing similar output for many many years now, it shouldn't be an issue for GM to make a reliable 2.0L 300hp motor. The biggest hurdle will be shaping the powerband into something livable and eliminating turbo lag.

Race engines are rebuiilt to keep them in top performing condition for the next event. When points and money are on the line you need them in top form. Infact many of todays race engines can go much longer than ever as they are very bulit proof. They even go several races now in F1.

Also they are at time will built an engine very lose to get max HP for a short time. They build them for the race length.

What we are getting at is the blocks and heads used today are production based and not some exotic rare part the average guy can't afford. The parts Lingenfelter started with are production parts.

In the past we were lucky to get 300 HP out of a full race IMSA Iron Duke and now we are getting 300 HP in a stocker. WIth some mods we are now getting power only V8 could do just a few short years ago.

You can hold the Evo up as the first but it was never cheap. Today the same perfromance can be found in car 10K cheaper.

150 HP is impressive no matter who is doing it. But doing it affordably is even more impressive. GM doing it right is not impressive but shocking.

We all have seen how it always took 5 years to get some thing right. Untill Buick did the water cooled intercoold GN the3.8 Turbo would burn up a turbo bearing in just 30,000 miles. Once they spent the money and did it right we had a very good engine.

without a doubt sounds like an excellent motor to add to the portfolio. this engine should power a Camaro. how much lighter could ecotec be relative to LS serioes engines?

I am not sure but I am sure it is at least 100+ pounds.

But on the other hand the LS is not as heavy as some think. The LS weighs less than a old iron 3.8 SC.

Edited by hyperv6

100+ pounds is 100+pounds.

Camaro RS= $27,000 basic equipment, only manual transmission, lightweight carbon fiber roof, hood, trunk. 250 lbs less than Camaro V8, 340 hp twin turbo DI 2.0

I have a hunch there might be a twin tubo 3.6 but not a 2.0 in the future.

Untill the Camaro loses weight I just see many going for the 4 cylinder unless it is cheap. Even then I see the appel being limited.

Most 4 cylinder buyers would be people of Import interest and they already think the Camaro is too heavy for the V6.

It will take a new platform to make this work right. The weight needs to be around 3200-3300 or less if it is possible.

GM has aleady looked at doing 320 HP in a Non Turbo 3.6 V6. I have not heard much on this since last summer so I am not sure if this in still in the cards at some point.