LA Times' Dan Neil bumped from NBC Gear

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/10/la-time...ear-i/#comments

NBC is inching closer to finalizing the cast for the American version of the hit BBC series Top Gear, but it looks more and more like Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld and Tim Allen won't be part of the program. Reportedly to be called just "Gear", the show is anticipated to include four presenters instead of the BBC's three – although one could be assuming the role of The Stig as the show's test driver. Adam Carolla announced on his radio show that he'd be taking part in the program. Formula D driftmaster Tanner Faust is also tipped to be on the show (possibly in the aforementioned test driver role). However Dan Neil, the Pulitzer Prize-winning automotive journalist for the Los Angeles Times, revealed that despite having a signed contract with NBC, he would not be part of the line-up. Neil was suitably disappointed, but attributed the change of heart to a lack of on-air personality on his part, although last year he was part of the 10-episode WIRED Science show on PBS.

In a more discouraging sign, meanwhile, indications are that the scathing rhetoric that makes the BBC show such a hit will be severely curtailed by NBC, who fear a backlash from sponsors. According to Carolla, the program was set to begin filming at the El Toro Marine Air Base in California on March 20.

Edited by Dodgefan

I had no idea such a show was in development.

Where do they plan on slotting it, prime time on a weekday?

It's gotta be entertaining first and foremost. Surely they could find someone from the buff books to counterbalance the Comedy Central posse.

Totally sucktacular. I still think Jeremy Clarkson is a D-bag, but I do enjoy the edgy, and scathing criticisms on that show; probably because our own TV is so dumbed down in the first place.

Here's hoping Adam Carolla is of some redeeming value; he was good in the 'Man Show' .

Edited by Captainbooyah

Although the British show does have some original bits, I am not a big fan of it. American networks have a poor track record of remaking Brit Hits. Two prime examples were Queer as Folk (the 'American version, filmed in Toronto can't hold a candle to the grittier, funnier British series) and Ab Fab, which was heavily diluted into an American version with Cybil Sheppard: so bad, in fact, that I can't even remember the name of the copy.

You know, I really hate it when I'm in total agreement with everyone. Top Gear is FUN...this one will, if I can borrow the term from everyone else, SUCK! Could it be watered down more? Could it be a better way to coddle advertisers and not entertain (or even educate) viewers? If only I had some on-air charisma...and broadcast television didn't suck the life out of any good idea...

Edited by Hudson

In a more discouraging sign, meanwhile, indications are that the scathing rhetoric that makes the BBC show such a hit will be severely curtailed by NBC, who fear a backlash from sponsors.

Wow. I guess they had to change the name from Top Gear to just Gear; it would have been false advertising otherwise.

Here's hoping Adam Carolla is of some redeeming value; he was good in the 'Man Show' .

He shares his name with a Toyota, and you expect him to be of redeeming value in a show about cars? Jay Leno is the only person in Hollywood who could possibly save this show. (and Seinfeld and Tim Allen together would just be annoying, for the record, so I'm not upset that didn't pan out.)

Edited by Enzora

[Adam Carolla, note the spelling] shares his name with a Toyota, and you expect him to be of redeeming value in a show about cars? Jay Leno is the only person in Hollywood who could possibly save this show. (and Seinfeld and Tim Allen together would just be annoying, for the record, so I'm not upset that didn't pan out.)

Adam is manly man enough that he could add that perspective to his car talk. I wouldn't expect him to come in there dissing Detroit iron so much as I could see him going in on all these chick cars of today.

Tim Allen knows his Fords at least. Seinfeld would be totally useless.

How about Funkmaster Flex?

Adam is manly man enough that he could add that perspective to his car talk. I wouldn't expect him to come in there dissing Detroit iron so much as I could see him going in on all these chick cars of today.

Plus, with him on the show, there's a heightened chance of 'juggies' showing up. :P

Plus, with him on the show, there's a heightened chance of 'juggies' showing up. :P

Well, that was all Man Show, he doesn't normally stress that....

And I can do without all that also...it's bad enough so many car magazines emphasize cheap titillation like that.

It doesn't sound promising... I love the banter on TG and a big part of it's appeal to me is the European cars and European settings (test driving a Jag in the Scottish Highlands, searching for the best road in the Alps w/ 3 supercars, caravanning in the English countryside, etc...)

I actually like the idea of Adam Carolla being a host on this show.

I do not think I will be frequently watching this "New Coke" equivalent to Top Gear, however. I do not see it being anything close to the show it is based on. NBC will water it down so much, it will be painfully boring and loose the edge that Top Gear possess over the American automotive review programs. Also, just in case we have forgotten, NBC is the home of the new Knight Rider and we all know what a pile of corporate Ford PR bull$h! that show is.

In a more discouraging sign, meanwhile, indications are that the scathing rhetoric that makes the BBC show such a hit will be severely curtailed by NBC, who fear a backlash from sponsors.

This is one of the reasons why Jay Leno will not be taking part in the show, that and he also said that he felt like his contributions to the show would be nothing more than a bad impersonation of Clarkson's rantings on Top Gear.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The ONLY reason this show WOULD have worked, is if it adhered closely to it's british cousin.....and been called "Top Gear" over here......and had someone like Jay Leno or Jerry Seinfeld to lend a strong bit of credibility to the show.

Not that many people (outside of his demographic) know much about Adam Carolla, and Dan Neil certainly isn't a "household" name.

They needed to model the show very closely on Clarkson's show.....because I think, from talking to people, Top Gear (the british version) is pretty highly regarded over here.

Plus, there was a plan to also do a U.S. "Top Gear" magazine to go along with the show.....like they do in Britain.

Chant it with me:

Leno, Leno, Leno...

agreed.