Diesel, beefier engine are in works for H3

By Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / October 24, 2005

DETROIT -- General Motors has big plans for the smallest truck in its Hummer lineup.

GM intends to offer V-8 and diesel versions of the mid-sized H3 SUV.

Two sources inside GM say the automaker is in the early stages of preparing to offer an H3 with a 5.3-liter V-8.

"It's another couple of years out," said one source at GM, who asked to not be named.

Hummer will add a diesel engine to the H3 later, the source said.

The SUV comes with GM's Vortec 3500 3.5-liter inline five-cylinder engine, which delivers 220 hp.

More: http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=55033

In my opinion, GM should stuff its excellent 5.3L V8 in every car or truck that will take it except those that already use the Northstar.  It is almost as fuel efficient as most of GM's V6's and 5 cylinders.

[post="33244"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would certainly love to see a 5.3 Malibu ;)

I would certainly love to see a 5.3 Malibu ;)

[post="33269"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

reminds me of back in the day with a 396 nova... :)

but yea 327's for all would be fantastic... people would love that... can you imagine a cobalt with 295 hp and like 300 torque...?

lol that would be awesome... diesels for all too...

whatever happened to the 4.8 V8?  would it fit better? or is it externally so similar to the 5.3 that you might as well?

[post="33348"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, you basically answered your own question there.

It's externally so identical, that the only real difference is in power output. As is, I still see NO reason whatsoever to have the 4.8 around, other than a waste of production costs--the 5.3 costs no more to build, has more power, and has almost identical economy ratings. Plus there's the fact that, even though GM seems to want to keep it around, it isn't getting the DOD the 5.3 has and will.

So, to cut it short--the 4.8 would be a waste of time.

Yep, you basically answered your own question there.

It's externally so identical, that the only real difference is in power output.  As is, I still see NO reason whatsoever to have the 4.8 around, other than a waste of production costs--the 5.3 costs no more to build, has more power, and has almost identical economy ratings.  Plus there's the fact that, even though GM seems to want to keep it around, it isn't getting the DOD the 5.3 has and will.

[post="33350"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree that there is no need for the 4.8 but it does cost less than some versions of the 5.3. Remember the 5.3 has DOD in most applications so that means the 4.8 without the DOD hardware costs less to make.

I agree that there is no need for the 4.8 but it does cost less than some versions of the 5.3.  Remember the 5.3 has DOD in most applications so that means the 4.8 without the DOD hardware costs less to make.

But costs more to run.

I agree with a lot of what's been posted here already except one thing, the Gen3 SHOULD be in cars where the Northstar is. Hell friggin yes I'd take a Lucerne with a DOD 5.3 over a Northstar any day of the week. And in case nobody else has noticed, the parts to do it are already in the system.

But costs more to run.

I agree with a lot of what's been posted here already except one thing, the Gen3 SHOULD be in cars where the Northstar is. Hell friggin yes I'd take a Lucerne with a DOD 5.3 over a Northstar any day of the week. And in case nobody else has noticed, the parts to do it are already in the system.

[post="33471"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Angry Dad how about if the Lucerne were available with the 3.6 HF standard, 5.3 DOD tuned for more finess (say 275 hp) optional, and the N* tuned for more power (say 320) top level. How would you feel about the model lineup there? I think it would rock.

Along that line of logic, couldn't a 6.0 fit just as well, creating an H3 Alpha, assuming they got the cooling and power issues sorted out?

[post="33497"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Isn't the 6.0L being phased out for the 6.2L? The current 6.0 in the H2 only makes 316hp, and the 5.3 is getting so close in power levels, but seems to be alot more efficient. Its cheaper to just throw the 5.3 in everything and phase out the other engines like the 6.0 and 4.8

Funny.....when I was talking to an engineer at the Detroit Auto Show, he said that the current V8 lineup would NOT fit with the Hummer H3 architecture (or the Colorado/Canyon.) That's where the original rumor of a turbo I-5 came about.... Maybe the "few years away" reflects the next-generation Colorado/Canyon/H3.....but when is THAT coming....?

It's externally so identical, that the only real difference is in power output.  As is, I still see NO reason whatsoever to have the 4.8 around, other than a waste of production costs--the 5.3 costs no more to build, has more power, and has almost identical economy ratings.  Plus there's the fact that, even though GM seems to want to keep it around, it isn't getting the DOD the 5.3 has and will.

[post="33350"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually no... think about this GM offers the 4.8 as a base engine an can charge and additional cost for the 5.3 as an option even though both cost the same to build..

Angry Dad how about if the Lucerne were available with the 3.6 HF standard, 5.3 DOD tuned for more finess (say 275 hp) optional,  and the N* tuned for more power (say 320) top level.  How would you feel about the model lineup there?  I think it would rock.

[post="33479"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That would be perfect....but with the 3.6 making more power in the newer iteration is there even need for the NS? I think a 3.6 with ~280hp and the 5.3 DOD that's offered in the Impala would be perfect.

[even more perfect would be the 5.3 matched to the dual mode hybrid system]

I just predicted this would happen in the GMT 360's thread last week and a few people came down on me for it. Great improvement, and even more reason why the Trailblazer could show up on the GMT 355, elongated, around the size of the Pathfinder, to be a global competitor....